Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2 is here now

Comments

• @Samu said:
    Hmm, was automation of sample-start & direction (forward / reverse) 'forgotten'?

It looks like it’s listed as one of the feature requests: https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/issues

• @gusgranite said:

@Samu said:
    Hmm, was automation of sample-start & direction (forward / reverse) 'forgotten'?

It looks like it’s listed as one of the feature requests: https://github.com/olympianoiseco/Patterning-2-Public/issues

Cool, I'll dig thru that list :)

• @gusgranite said:
    So has anyone got P2 driving the pads in BM3 yet? I tried to set it up but could only get it to hit a single pad. I tried the different modes but think I was missing something in the setup.

Works here. I don’t know how you set it up so can’t say what’s wrong. But here are things to check.

• Make sure Patterning 2 is enabled as an input in BM3’s settings. It defaulted to off for me.
    • Make sure the bank is set to Multichannel mode then set Patterning 2 up to send to note C4 for each, and set the channel according to each pad you want to play.

It should also work in Single channel mode, but I couldn’t get that to work so far.

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:
    So has anyone got P2 driving the pads in BM3 yet? I tried to set it up but could only get it to hit a single pad. I tried the different modes but think I was missing something in the setup.

Works here. I don’t know how you set it up so can’t say what’s wrong. But here are things to check.

• Make sure Patterning 2 is enabled as an input in BM3’s settings. It defaulted to off for me.
    • Make sure the bank is set to Multichannel mode then set Patterning 2 up to send to note C4 for each, and set the channel according to each pad you want to play.

It should also work in Single channel mode, but I couldn’t get that to work so far.

Ah, thanks! I didn’t have the P2 notes set correctly. Great.

• I bought it as a sequencer - the sound engine is crap for what I do. Will check out that kit that Tim used in his video to see if I can pick up some tricks.

• @NTKK said:
    I bought it as a sequencer - the sound engine is crap for what I do. Will check out that kit that Tim used in his video to see if I can pick up some tricks.

The sound engine is crap? I thought it was sample based?

• @gusgranite said:

@NTKK said:
    I bought it as a sequencer - the sound engine is crap for what I do. Will check out that kit that Tim used in his video to see if I can pick up some tricks.

The sound engine is crap? I thought it was sample based?

It is .. there is no sound engine :)

• How does one 'rename' patterns in Patterning 2? (I must be missing something super obvious right?).
    It gets kinda messy after a while with A, A1(for copies) and B, C, D, D1 etc...

• @Samu said:
    How does one 'rename' patterns in Patterning 2? (I must be missing something super obvious right?).

I don’t think you can. It couldn’t be done in Patterning 1 either unless I’m mistaken.

• @Samu said:
    How does one 'rename' patterns in Patterning 2? (I must be missing something super obvious right?).

I agree, it's messy. It's on the feature request list.

@kobamoto the "Projects" section of GitHub will show a rough list of what's on the agenda for the upcoming release. I plan to fix bugs and spend a while just doing education (videos, updating the manual) before I start adding anything new. When I do start adding features I'm also more likely to add "small" workflow things (i.e. naming/moving patterns, MIDI control of randomize, etc.) than anything major for a little while. But the main thing is to get bugs cleaned up first.

• @benkamen said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Excellent, my Patterning 1 database transferred over smoothly, even though I had to fire up the PC. Congrats on release.

YES.

First off, I love Patterning and appreciate all the effort @benkamen has put into it. I held off from the preorder because looking through the features I felt that there wasn’t a huge difference between the new app & the old one aside from the multiple drum kits, increased automation facilities and other additions like ratcheting (which I don’t see myself using).

But I bought P2 because even if as some others have said there isn’t a “huge” amount of new features I feel that it’s early in the infancy of P2 and I support @benkamen creating a new app so he can afford to create those new features instead of just adding free updates that don’t help his company’s growth. I feel strongly that we must support these devs, especially cats like Ben who read the forum, interact and take critiques in the manner that they’re given, to be helpful & constructive.

So the issues I’m having that I’ll go over aren’t aspersions towards Ben, I’m just trying to be helpful...disclaimer over, here goes:

I did the database import from Patterning 1 using iTunes File Sharing and while the songs came over okay the samples in the kits did not. Some of the kits just have straight line silence showing in some samples and others are okay. I checked my AudioShare archive of the kits I created and uploaded to CloudKits and it seems that some stereo 44.1, 16 bit .wavs work but others don’t. Also samples at 48k, 16 bit, stereo that play normally in P1 sound sped up in the new app.

I figured I’d try to redownload a kit that had the file issue (one that I put on CloudKits) and then try to download it fresh and see if it would play normally (the 70’s Sausalito kit). It downloaded (or it appeared) and was named Sausalito-1 but it had the same corrupted files. I then deleted both kits (kit & samples) and then tried to download it fresh but it just immediately showed the check mark on the CloudKits page but no kit files were downloaded. Like the app still sees there’s those samples on the iPad (although they aren’t) and don’t redownload them.

So I guess I can reattempt the database import but the fact P2 played the 48k WAVs weird I don’t know if that is it. Or I can just transfer over the kits one by one using export in P1. Sorry to go on I just wanted to report what I’m experiencing.

I will say after using the new features that P2 is NOT just a $15 Patterning 1 update. The new pads, the new fine tuning of the loops to create polyrhythms, the automation, etc. are huge advantages once I started messing with them, not to mention the added arrangement benefits of having different kits for Verses & Choruses, sections A & B, etc.

Plus, THIS new version is the platform Ben will add AUv3 & other improvements to...so if you’re on the fence, get on the goodfoot and get Patterning 2.

• @JRSIV said:

@benkamen said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Excellent, my Patterning 1 database transferred over smoothly, even though I had to fire up the PC. Congrats on release.

YES.

First off, I love Patterning and appreciate all the effort @benkamen has put into it. I held off from the preorder because looking through the features I felt that there wasn’t a huge difference between the new app & the old one aside from the multiple drum kits, increased automation facilities and other additions like ratcheting (which I don’t see myself using).

But I bought P2 because even if as some others have said there isn’t a “huge” amount of new features I feel that it’s early in the infancy of P2 and I support @benkamen creating a new app so he can afford to create those new features instead of just adding free updates that don’t help his company’s growth. I feel strongly that we must support these devs, especially cats like Ben who read the forum, interact and take critiques in the manner that they’re given, to be helpful & constructive.

So the issues I’m having that I’ll go over aren’t aspersions towards Ben, I’m just trying to be helpful...disclaimer over, here goes:

I did the database import from Patterning 1 using iTunes File Sharing and while the songs came over okay the samples in the kits did not. Some of the kits just have straight line silence showing in some samples and others are okay. I checked my AudioShare archive of the kits I created and uploaded to CloudKits and it seems that some stereo 44.1, 16 bit .wavs work but others don’t. Also samples at 48k, 16 bit, stereo that play normally in P1 sound sped up in the new app.

I figured I’d try to redownload a kit that had the file issue (one that I put on CloudKits) and then try to download it fresh and see if it would play normally (the 70’s Sausalito kit). It downloaded (or it appeared) and was named Sausalito-1 but it had the same corrupted files. I then deleted both kits (kit & samples) and then tried to download it fresh but it just immediately showed the check mark on the CloudKits page but no kit files were downloaded. Like the app still sees there’s those samples on the iPad (although they aren’t) and don’t redownload them.

So I guess I can reattempt the database import but the fact P2 played the 48k WAVs weird I don’t know if that is it. Or I can just transfer over the kits one by one using export in P1. Sorry to go on I just wanted to report what I’m experiencing.

I will say after using the new features that P2 is NOT just a $15 Patterning 1 update. The new pads, the new fine tuning of the loops to create polyrhythms, the automation, etc. are huge advantages once I started messing with them, not to mention the added arrangement benefits of having different kits for Verses & Choruses, sections A & B, etc.

Plus, THIS new version is the platform Ben will add AUv3 & other improvements to...so if you’re on the fence, get on the goodfoot and get Patterning 2.

Hm, since originally testing a few tracks and kits and it all being ok, I have noticed some gaps in samples, i.e. load a kit and the bass drum isnt there. Long story short, some of the tracks suffer from the same as well, but all my samples seem to be intact so far, and thats all I really cared about.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Hm, since originally testing a few tracks and kits and it all being ok, I have noticed some gaps in samples, i.e. load a kit and the bass drum isnt there. Long story short, some of the tracks suffer from the same as well, but all my samples seem to be intact so far, and thats all I really cared about.

Thanks @oat_phipps I appreciate hearing it’s not some anomaly on my end. The thing is like you say some stuff exported over but there’s just a lot of kits like this (Acoustic CloudKit I put up) where none of the samples are accounted for. Note the “(missing)” at the end of the file name too.

I’ve tried redoing the entire Database export process and exporting piecemeal from P1 a kit at a time but it never takes.

Thing is I’d prefer now to just go back to the fresh install and add stuff one at a time, so I guess if I delete the app and reinstall it will do that. So I’m headed that direction now.

• @JRSIV said:

@oat_phipps said:

Thanks @oat_phipps I appreciate hearing it’s not some anomaly on my end. The thing is like you say some stuff exported over but there’s just a lot of kits like this (Acoustic CloudKit I put up) where none of the samples are accounted for. Note the “(missing)” at the end of the file name too.

I’ve tried redoing the entire Database export process and exporting piecemeal from P1 a kit at a time but it never takes.

Thing is I’d prefer now to just go back to the fresh install and add stuff one at a time, so I guess if I delete the app and reinstall it will do that. So I’m headed that direction now.

Weird, I haven't encountered a 'missing' sample. My kits that had blanks still showed the waveform even though it didn't play. All of my samples are 24-bit 44100 k, so maybe that has something to do with a successful transfer.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Weird, I haven't encountered a 'missing' sample. My kits that had blanks still showed the waveform even though it didn't play. All of my samples are 24-bit 44100 k, so maybe that has something to do with a successful transfer.

I just reinstalled and tried exporting over a song (so the kit would go over too) that was funky in the Database export and it worked, all samples accounted for.

The only thing I still notice is a few samples playing faster/higher but that’s a fault on my end where a few samples were 48k/16 & some were 44.1k/16 in the kits I uploaded to CloudKits. I can go back and transfer them down to 44.1 in AudioShare.

Bottom line for now I’m cool just bringing stuff over one by one, no big deal. I’m loving the instant experimentation the pads allow now; you can play in a weird funky bit and then massage it with the automation variables into some totally badass rhythms. Very cool.

Thanks @benkamen for this awesome app & @oat_phipps I appreciate the feedback brother...

• No prob, my question is how to delete the 2 gb backup thats stuck in my Patterning 1 iTunes shared folder?

• I purchased Patterning 2 for many of the same reasons cited by @JRSIV. To be honest, I thought Patterning 1 was cool, but I didn’t get the chance to use it much in actual music projects. No specific reason. I did feel like the circular layout got a lot of attention for being different than a grid-based layout, but not inherently “better”.

Fortunately, the addition of randomization and ratcheting were two things that I did find useful, though the overall package probably was better suited for a $10-$20 IAP as opposed to a new app. @benkamen deserves the opportunity to monetize his efforts, but doing it this way leaves people with an abandonware copy of the original app, or requires the dev to keep two apps updated for AudioBus SDK, iOS changes, etc.

AU functionality would be nice, and the use of .aif for audio export freaked me out a little until I realized it’s basically the Apple version of .wav files.

• edited July 2018

@StormJH1 agreed
    Looks great. I love all the current Olympia Apps.
    I don't use Patterning that much but I'm thinking of upgrading to version 2.
    The new MIDI stuff especially looks very interesting.
    Is there any videos of the new MIDI Sequencing/Recording out there?
    Also, is there any option to choose the colour for each track?

Cheers.

• edited July 2018

@benkamen said:

@Samu said:

I agree, it's messy. It's on the feature request list.

@kobamoto the "Projects" section of GitHub will show a rough list of what's on the agenda for the upcoming release. I plan to fix bugs and spend a while just doing education (videos, updating the manual) before I start adding anything new. When I do start adding features I'm also more likely to add "small" workflow things (i.e. naming/moving patterns, MIDI control of randomize, etc.) than anything major for a little while. But the main thing is to get bugs cleaned up first.

thanks for the insight Ben, I know you've got a pace to these things so I will try not to bombard you with sample-esk/slicer-esk/ start point automation, /loop within the sample automation/ sample edit zoom type feature request :) until you've settled in for a bit and thank you again for such a wonderful app.

• edited July 2018

@benkamen maybe a silly question (!?) but does this have AB3 MIDI support for MIDI input and output ?

• @iamspoon said:
    Maybe a silly question (?) but does this have AB3 MIDI support input and output ?

No, it does not show as a MIDI sender in AB3, only as an audio input.

• edited July 2018

Ah ok thanks, didn't see it explained in detail in the manual.

https://www.olympianoiseco.com/manuals/Patterning_2.pdf

I assume you can still use the AB3 MIDI page to route the virtual ports in/out though?

• Patterning 1 was crashing on me. So I deleted it and reinstalled. So far so good. (Mini retina newest iOS)

• @iamspoon said:
    Ah ok thanks, didn't see it explained in detail in the manual.

https://www.olympianoiseco.com/manuals/Patterning_2.pdf

I assume you can still use the AB3 MIDI page to route the virtual ports in/out though?

Yes, works fine.

Still, I hope AB3 midi, and especially state save are high on the list.

• Bad news, @JRSIV and @benkamen

I've just tried to begin a project in Auria with 8 outs. Everything seemed smooth until I created a new song within Patterning, and then all audio just dropped despite having programmed a pattern (sample preview still worked, for some reason). Maybe this is just an IAA bug that isn't the app's fault, similar to reloading Auria and only 5 of the 8 outs connecting upon closing and re-opening the program. I'm used to that sort of thing.

However, I did finally notice, like JRSIV posted earlier, several (a robust percentage) of my samples missing. Patterning's file system didn't recognize them missing as his screenshot showed earlier. They were just blank waveforms.

I'll give an e for effort for trying to implement the database restore, but it's just not good enough. Not complaining, shit happens, iOS is screwy, but I'm just gonna delete, re-install and re-upload my samples from Drive. Just trying to save everyone else a few minutes time with trying the import feature.

• Alright, can't get Patterning to cooperate in Auria with two tracks, one P2's main output, and one my guitar connected through interface. When Patterning 2 is present, I get no guitar audio. When P2 is removed I get audio just fine.

Some frustrating crap going on with this app tonight, including several 'timely' crashes. Maybe it's just an unlucky night and it's time to hang it up for now.

• Can anybody please tell me how to set up P2 to play AU sounds from separate track. Example I want the first ”track”/”kick” play a AU unit. Example the Model 15. I set it to channel one in the midi tab and click the word ”Patterning 2” and getting that submenu but there I can´t choose the Model 15. Even if I put the Model 15 in the midi input or output in AB its not working. I have Ableton activated. Is it possible or not.
    Is there maybe a way in AUM I can do it?

• Can we do folder import into patterning 2 yet without using iTunes ?

• @marcuspresident said:
    Can anybody please tell me how to set up P2 to play AU sounds from separate track. Example I want the first ”track”/”kick” play a AU unit. Example the Model 15. I set it to channel one in the midi tab and click the word ”Patterning 2” and getting that submenu but there I can´t choose the Model 15. Even if I put the Model 15 in the midi input or output in AB its not working. I have Ableton activated. Is it possible or not.
    Is there maybe a way in AUM I can do it?

Try this ...
    Audiobus preset 'Pat2 - Model D': http://preset.audiob.us/8DdpRrFl5JJGxCk

Since P2 isn’t an AB3 midi sender, you have to use the virtual midi input.

• @benkamen

Great app! Where can I locate the patterning sample file library on my iPad please?