Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning 2 is here now

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@kobamoto said:
    not for us non-AU'ers, we need that stand alone app tight as a mosquitos hiney

you've observed the tightness of a mosquito's hiney?

:# oh the lengths I've gone to for the beat machine community

• @kobamoto said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@kobamoto said:
    not for us non-AU'ers, we need that stand alone app tight as a mosquitos hiney

you've observed the tightness of a mosquito's hiney?

:# oh the lengths I've gone to for the beat machine community

We are indebted in ways we can only imagine

• ...and we are LIVE. Cancelled my preorder in the UKstore and purchased £14.99 exactly the same when I preordered Grooverider. I’m off to play :)

• I have not mastered Patterning 1 yet...can a noob figure out 2? Should a noob get this? Thanx!

• Propagating across the rest of the world as we speak....

• I was really hoping for a monophonic option (you know for those long subbass samples where you really want to avoid any kind of phase cancelation)... I guess it didnt make it to this version either? bought it anyways for jams... but this is the one thing i would really need to use patterning in any of my livesets

• @ElektrikDiva said:
    I have not mastered Patterning 1 yet...can a noob figure out 2? Should a noob get this? Thanx!

The stuff you’ve posted here, your thoughts and your music, hardly indicate noobness!
    Pretty sure you’ll dig 2...

• I’m glad now I did my homework on the original Patterning. There are many similarities. I already appreciate the nod to the Apple Files app. Once saved docs are in that milieu, it’s SO easy to backup or move to my favorite storage medium. And it might be VERY handy to be able to have both Patterning and Patterning2 open at the same time until P2 gets its AU wings. I’ll be spending time. Btw, the tutorial cuts off the phrase about when the manual will be ready.

I opened Apple Settings for Patterning 2 and changed “Store Documents and Data” to “on my iPad”.

When I created a song and saved it, nothing showed up in “on my iPad” Patterning 2 folder.

I changed the storage destination to iCloud and tried again. It doesn’t show up in iCloud either.

“Store Documents and Data” implies stuff is going to go to the destination you pick, but I can’t see where that’s happening. Is my assumption false?

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

AB3 state saving works perfectly. You have to use MF Adapter since it’s not an AB3 midi sender, but I can live with that if state save is good.

[edit] Dammit. It was just picking up where it was last left. No AB3 midi and no AB3 state save. Shoot.

• @Nodra said:
    I was really hoping for a monophonic option (you know for those long subbass samples where you really want to avoid any kind of phase cancelation)... I guess it didnt make it to this version either? bought it anyways for jams... but this is the one thing i would really need to use patterning in any of my livesets

Wouldn’t setting everything to the same choke group do the same thing?

• @benkamen congratulations on the new app. Great work! Purchased this morning and loving it.

I desperately would love the ability to automate the sample start / end as previously mentioned in this thread and the ability to loop the sample. I see you have added it as a feature request on github.

With the addition of note quantization for easy bass line / melody creation in this release, this is no longer just a brilliant drum machine but a complete groovebox to make complete tracks!

Importing all my fav one shot synth bass, lead, pads and vocals this afternoon!!!

• >

I opened Apple Settings for Patterning 2 and changed “Store Documents and Data” to “on my iPad”.

That’s just to say that Patterning can access those folders, but that’s not where they are stored. Patterning uses a database which stores all songs, drum kits, and samples together. You can export / import individual songs but they aren’t automatically saved to a user viewable place.

• @motmeister said:
    Btw, the tutorial cuts off the phrase about when the manual will be ready.

Oops! Thanks it’s ready - top left corner.

• @Littlewoodg said:

@ElektrikDiva said:
    I have not mastered Patterning 1 yet...can a noob figure out 2? Should a noob get this? Thanx!

The stuff you’ve posted here, your thoughts and your music, hardly indicate noobness!
    Pretty sure you’ll dig 2...

Ah Littlewood you just made my whole week with your kind words! Thanx! Based on that ace comment alone I’m diving in. Cheers!

• edited July 2018

@benkamen said:

@motmeister said:
    Btw, the tutorial cuts off the phrase about when the manual will be ready.

Oops! Thanks it’s ready - top left corner.

That’s good news! I may be kooky, but I find manuals very helpful.

11:17PM pacific daylight time... web site seems to be down.

• @benkamen said:
    >

That’s just to say that Patterning can access those folders, but that’s not where they are stored. Patterning uses a database which stores all songs, drum kits, and samples together. You can export / import individual songs but they aren’t automatically saved to a user viewable place.

Ah. The app looks great! But the choice of your own proprietary database to store “songs, drum kits, and samples” with only an iTunes backup of the database to offload them unfortunately keeps users tethered to a laptop/desktop. When I saw the choice of “on my iPad” in the Settings I was excited that Patterning had joined the ranks of devs embracing the Files app. If not for “songs, drum kits, and samples”, what else would be stored in “on my iPad”?

• Is it me or, no demo ‘songs’... shoot..

• edited July 2018

Congrats on the release! I'm loving being able to switch kits per part, that's huge for song building and sonic interest. And the pattern timing offset is really cool too, to get flams. The pattern recording is working well too, it makes sense of quantizing my taps, and I like that it kept the pattern lengths and resolution of my previous patterns, rather than resetting to 1 bar at 1/16th note resolutions.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I am a bit disappointed by the lack of new features compared to first version which was already the best ios drum app. I was expecting maybe 16 instruments instead of 8 or AUV3 (drum kit switching can be used in the meantime, but it is not very convenient). I also would dream of conditions trig ala Elektron (to allow to play every x loops - Grooverider has been updated with this features and it is great)

Anyway this is definitively a great app, thank you @benkamen for the great work

• Glad to see this out. @benkamen congrats on the release!

I'll jump in with some requests after playing a bit last night :smile:

Some performance options like triggers, freeze, stuttering, fills that are found on most drum machines nowadays would be very welcome. Elastic drums does this incredibly well.
    Would also be nice to see a /2 pattern size option along with the x2, and some more advance swing options. 8, 16 with positive and negative amounts.

• Yes! Many kudos for this. It’s a subtle kind of update that preserves the existing workflow but gives lighter users like me features we didn’t know we wanted. Thank you!

• Does anyone have an alternative link to the .pdf manual since Oly's site is down?

• It did not work this way in Patterning 1... Can anyone confirm if this works now?

@wim said:

@Nodra said:
    I was really hoping for a monophonic option (you know for those long subbass samples where you really want to avoid any kind of phase cancelation)... I guess it didnt make it to this version either? bought it anyways for jams... but this is the one thing i would really need to use patterning in any of my livesets

Wouldn’t setting everything to the same choke group do the same thing?

• edited July 2018

I own patterning 1 and elastic drums with IAP sample function. Can anyone tell what _ _can do with patterning 2 that a can't do with both other drum machines. Thanks

• l
    i

@scottsunn said:
    Does anyone have an alternative link to the .pdf manual since Oly's site is down?

😬 This is what happens when your website gets moved to a new IP address on launch day. Just remove the https:// and replace with http:// and the link will work.

• And now we have files for samples in the manual! You did it! Oh how I love you Olympia Noise Co.!

• I just spent my lunch break getting to grips with the app and it is stunning! I was able to put together some pretty complex patterns with minimal effort. Love the ratcheting feature.