Safari URL Bar Bug SOLVED Switch Quanta Storage to iCloud

edited July 2018 in Off-topic

Update
Chris Randall from Audio Damage, the developer of Quanta, has indicated they will update the app ASAP to eliminate this unanticipated iOS level bug from happening to any other Quanta users.

I share what happened to me and what I did to ultimately resolve the issue. My experiences may differ from yours so your mileage may vary.

What I Experienced

About an hour after updating to iOS 11.4.1 on my iPad Air 2, Safari now freezes after a few seconds and the built-in keyboard doesn’t appear when I touch the URL bar area at the top of the Safari app. I cleared the cache and toggled settings in the Settings app for Safari. Did a hard and soft reset, closed/opened Safari, powered down and restared the iPad but none of those solutions resolved the problem. Everything else I’ve tried in Safari is working as expected including bookmarks, favorites, Workflow, and opening Safari links from other apps including Mail and Notes work as expected.

I had a chat with Apple’s online support and the only option to address the issue would be to do a reset to the factory settings, restore the data from backup, and to download the apps from the App Store.

Unlike most Apple apps and all non-Apple apps, I can’t simply delete and download Safari as it’s not even in the App Store and only gets updated during iOS updates.

I decided to hold off on trying to fix Safari using the very cumbersome solution offered by Apple’s technical support person and will wait to see if the next iOS update will resolve the issue for me.

I hope at some point Apple will provide a way to delete and restore Safari as an option rather than their current dysfunctional approach discussed above. More details in the thread below.

Solution
In the Settings app I switched back to “iCloud” for the Quanta Document Settings. More details in the thread below.

Comments

  • edited July 2018

    Sounds similar to the bug reported by a user in Quanta thread- and this may rule Quanta’s involvement out :) (which was likely anyway)

  • Maybe in future iOS versions Apple could bring a reset Safari feature ...

  • @skoptic said:
    Sounds similar to the bug reported by a user in Quanta thread- and this may rule Quanta’s involvement out :) (which was likely anyway)

    To be accurate, I did install iOS 11.4.1, Quanta, and downloaded the Quanta preset from a zip to AudioShare and installed it in Quanta.

    I highly doubt the issue was due to Quanta.

    Though I can only speculate as to what might have caused the Safari bug, the solution according to Apple’s tech support is clear and onerous for users.

  • @InfoCheck said:

    @skoptic said:
    Sounds similar to the bug reported by a user in Quanta thread- and this may rule Quanta’s involvement out :) (which was likely anyway)

    To be accurate, I did install iOS 11.4.1, Quanta, and downloaded the Quanta preset from a zip to AudioShare and installed it in Quanta.

    I highly doubt the issue was due to Quanta.

    Though I can only speculate as to what might have caused the Safari bug, the solution according to Apple’s tech support is clear and onerous for users.

    Ahh ok. Apple tech support solutions (in my experience) usually involve a numpty telling you to wipe and restore, rather than anything constructive sadly.

  • Had the same. Quanta crashed and then Safari bar bug came.
    The ONLY thing that helped: factory reset and recovery from backup. I hope you have more luck and can find a more convenient way...

  • @InfoCheck said:

    @skoptic said:
    Sounds similar to the bug reported by a user in Quanta thread- and this may rule Quanta’s involvement out :) (which was likely anyway)

    To be accurate, I did install iOS 11.4.1, Quanta, and downloaded the Quanta preset from a zip to AudioShare and installed it in Quanta.

    I highly doubt the issue was due to Quanta.

    Though I can only speculate as to what might have caused the Safari bug, the solution according to Apple’s tech support is clear and onerous for users.

    yes, i have the same bug.. but nothing to do with updating ios,, i am still on 11.2.6
    weirdly i was thinking about updating to 11.4 to see if it fixed it..
    my bug appeared after getting a crash of Files app during importing samples from Audioshare into Quanta.. not a given that it is entirely linked to Quanta but definitely something crucial in the ios background is now broken and it has to have happened somewhere in the interaction of Quanta and Files app.. but no idea how.
    yr safari symptoms are exactly replicated on my ipad pro 10.5”..

  • @InfoCheck
    Are you in the UK and have VirginMedia as your internet provider? Apparently its Superhub 2 is incompatible withe the latest IOS update. The only solution at present is to upgrade to the Hub 3 router. The grapevine suggests a VM patch will eventually be downloaded. Upgrading your ipad/phone to IOS 12 beta does not overcome the problem.

    Apple not concerned apparently.

  • edited July 2018

    In my case iPad Pro 11.4. ideas and suggestions

    • private Mode
    • Turn Searching suggestions off
    • Update to 11.4.1
    • Hard reset
    • Switch iPad off and off
    • iCloud Sync off
    • History delete
    • Cookies kill
    • preload top hits (or so) switch off
    • searches engine suggestions switch off

    Used another browser... worked like a charm. Only safari was bricked

  • Has anyone had this same Safari problem who didn't install Quanta and import 3rd party presets?

  • @david_2017 said:
    In my case iPad Pro 11.4. ideas and suggestions

    • private Mode
    • Turn Searching suggestions off
    • Update to 11.4.1
    • Hard reset
    • Switch iPad off and off
    • iCloud Sync off
    • History delete
    • Cookies kill
    • preload top hits (or so) switch off
    • searches engine suggestions switch off

    Used another browser... worked like a charm. Only safari was bricked

    i think i’ve pretty much tried everything on yr suggestions list... so maybe it is time to dabble in the search for a new non apple browser.. which one did you go for?

  • edited July 2018

    @RockySmalls said:

    @david_2017 said:
    In my case iPad Pro 11.4. ideas and suggestions

    • private Mode
    • Turn Searching suggestions off
    • Update to 11.4.1
    • Hard reset
    • Switch iPad off and off
    • iCloud Sync off
    • History delete
    • Cookies kill
    • preload top hits (or so) switch off
    • searches engine suggestions switch off

    Used another browser... worked like a charm. Only safari was bricked

    i think i’ve pretty much tried everything on yr suggestions list... so maybe it is time to dabble in the search for a new non apple browser.. which one did you go for?

    The iOS Firefox browser is awesome. You can browse in stealth mode too. And, if you use Facebook, but refuse to install their messenger app, you can still use the messaging within the browser if using the iOS Firefox browser. Facebook browser messaging, in an effort to try and force you to install their messenger app, doesn't work. But works fine in Firefox. I use it as much, if not more than Safari. :)

  • edited July 2018
    • dolphin browser
    • firefox
    • opera

    are the ones to go

    @RockySmalls said:

    @david_2017 said:
    In my case iPad Pro 11.4. ideas and suggestions

    • private Mode
    • Turn Searching suggestions off
    • Update to 11.4.1
    • Hard reset
    • Switch iPad off and off
    • iCloud Sync off
    • History delete
    • Cookies kill
    • preload top hits (or so) switch off
    • searches engine suggestions switch off

    Used another browser... worked like a charm. Only safari was bricked

    i think i’ve pretty much tried everything on yr suggestions list... so maybe it is time to dabble in the search for a new non apple browser.. which one did you go for?

  • @RockySmalls said:

    @InfoCheck said:

    @skoptic said:
    Sounds similar to the bug reported by a user in Quanta thread- and this may rule Quanta’s involvement out :) (which was likely anyway)

    To be accurate, I did install iOS 11.4.1, Quanta, and downloaded the Quanta preset from a zip to AudioShare and installed it in Quanta.

    I highly doubt the issue was due to Quanta.

    Though I can only speculate as to what might have caused the Safari bug, the solution according to Apple’s tech support is clear and onerous for users.

    yes, i have the same bug.. but nothing to do with updating ios,, i am still on 11.2.6
    weirdly i was thinking about updating to 11.4 to see if it fixed it..
    my bug appeared after getting a crash of Files app during importing samples from Audioshare into Quanta.. not a given that it is entirely linked to Quanta but definitely something crucial in the ios background is now broken and it has to have happened somewhere in the interaction of Quanta and Files app.. but no idea how.
    yr safari symptoms are exactly replicated on my ipad pro 10.5”..

    Quanta or the Files app never crashed for me. Turned on the iPad Air 2, updated to iOS 11.4.1, opened Safari, downloaded Quanta, opened Safari, went into settings and set Quanta to change the document storage from “iCloud” to “On My iPad”, downloaded the preset zip file into AudioShare from Safari, unzipped and loaded the preset folder into the Quanta folder via the Files app using duplicate, and opened Quanta the presets worked in Quanta as expected. Loaded Quanta into Audiobus and later AUM. Perhaps about an hour from when I first turned the iPad Air 2 on, I went into Safari and had the URL bar freeze crash bug.

  • I just switched the Quanta storage back to “iCloud” in the Settings app, opened Quanta stand-alone, manually closed out Quanta, manually closed out the Settings app, powered off the iPad Air 2, and powered it back on again. Opened Safari, tapped on the URL bar and now it’s working again.

  • edited July 2018

    The Quanta developer @Chris_Randall has the information and is on top of it with Apple to resolve this iOS bug. See this thread for the developer’s plans to address the issue ASAP on this thread:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27377/quanta-for-ios-released#latest

  • Yup. We're on it. Apple dev support is basically pissing in the wind, as any dev will tell you, so the solution we've decided on is to remove that On My iPad functionality entirely and just turn the Import Files button in to a file browser window, so you can just browse to wherever you stored the presets and grab them. (I think we're also going to make it so you can grab a whole zip file and it'll unzip it and install them; seems to be simpler.)

    Apologies again for this. It is definitely an iOS bug, not a bug in Quanta per se. We're triggering it though, so that's not much consolation. Apologies to everyone this has affected.

  • Thank you for the solution @InfoCheck
    I just tried it but sadly it didn’t work for me. I think the difference is that I removed the app at some point last night (I was trouble shooting at 2 in the morning so not operating at full capacity :)

    This morning, in an attempt to duplicate your solution, I redownloaded the app.

    Interestingly, even though I had deleted it, when I opened the app, the sample I set as default when I very first played with it yesterday is set as the default again.

    That file was loaded using the replace button and then browsing to a file in the Files app.

    Just wanted to update in hopes it adds to the knowledge base of finding a fix. Is there anyway to reset the default preset to the way it is when the app is first purchased?

  • edited July 2018

    @DYMS said:
    Thank you for the solution @InfoCheck
    I just tried it but sadly it didn’t work for me. I think the difference is that I removed the app at some point last night (I was trouble shooting at 2 in the morning so not operating at full capacity :)

    This morning, in an attempt to duplicate your solution, I redownloaded the app.

    Interestingly, even though I had deleted it, when I opened the app, the sample I set as default when I very first played with it yesterday is set as the default again.

    That file was loaded using the replace button and then browsing to a file in the Files app.

    Just wanted to update in hopes it adds to the knowledge base of finding a fix. Is there anyway to reset the default preset to the way it is when the app is first purchased?

    Yes, you can set iOS to backup the data for apps so that when you delete them it keeps your data. At this point you have this enabled on your iPad, if you disable it, then when you delete Quanta all of the app and the associated data will be removed from your iPad and you can download it again from the App Store.

    See this for information about these issues:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

  • @InfoCheck You said in your solution that you switched back to iCloud. However, mine didnt seem to ever change from icloud.

    In Settings - Quanta - Document Storage is set to iCloud Drive

    What was yours set to before you set it back to icloud?

  • @DYMS said:
    @InfoCheck You said in your solution that you switched back to iCloud. However, mine didnt seem to ever change from icloud.

    In Settings - Quanta - Document Storage is set to iCloud Drive

    What was yours set to before you set it back to icloud?

    It was set to “On My iPad”.

  • Thanks. Sadly I can’t replicate your solution :(

  • @Chris_Randall said:
    Yup. We're on it. Apple dev support is basically pissing in the wind, as any dev will tell you, so the solution we've decided on is to remove that On My iPad functionality entirely and just turn the Import Files button in to a file browser window, so you can just browse to wherever you stored the presets and grab them. (I think we're also going to make it so you can grab a whole zip file and it'll unzip it and install them; seems to be simpler.)

    Apologies again for this. It is definitely an iOS bug, not a bug in Quanta per se. We're triggering it though, so that's not much consolation. Apologies to everyone this has affected.

    Sweetness! I was looking forward to picking this up to play with this weekend. Noice! :)

  • I was able to find a solution to my issue, but it required a computer. I connected my iPad to my computer and ran the PhoneClean application. After doing a quick clean and an Internet clean I am now able to use my keyboard in the Safari address bar without crashes.

  • @InfoCheck said:
    I just switched the Quanta storage back to “iCloud” in the Settings app, opened Quanta stand-alone, manually closed out Quanta, manually closed out the Settings app, powered off the iPad Air 2, and powered it back on again. Opened Safari, tapped on the URL bar and now it’s working again.

    Well it was nice to wake up to these solutions and some activity on this issue.
    thanks @InfoCheck for the ..er... ‘info’
    unfortunatley the switch back to icloud ( or dropbox or audioshare ) solution hasn’t worked for me. Thanks @ChrisRandall for dealing with the apple minions and thanks everyone else for browser suggestions etc.. i even turned off the javascript per @Samu suggestion in the other thread.
    it’s not really a terrible inconvenience at the moment, there are plenty of ways of accessing webpages in safari still and its only habit that makes me automatically touch on the url window to see the recent locations..
    Still it would be good to fathom out this glitch. Meantime I’m enjoying Quanta a lot... so.. small price to pay .. and a hint that I should spend more time making audio rather than reading about other peoples exploits in ios-land.

  • @InfoCheck
    possibly a bit soon to edit the thread title to put solved in it maybe? ;)
    even if Chris sorts the thing in Quanta that is triggering this bug it doesn’t seem there is one obvious way to clear out Safari for those that have already got the bug! if you don’t mind me saying so.

  • @RockySmalls said:
    @InfoCheck
    possibly a bit soon to edit the thread title to put solved in it maybe? ;)
    even if Chris sorts the thing in Quanta that is triggering this bug it doesn’t seem there is one obvious way to clear out Safari for those that have already got the bug! if you don’t mind me saying so.

    I limit my discussion in the thread to the particular situation I personally experienced. Other people may have done things differently so what worked for me or what caused their issues with Safari may be different nor consequently will the solution work for them. I have provided very specific information of what happened to me, what I tried, and how I solved it.

    As @Chris_Randall has indicated, Audio Damage will update the app to get around the issue I experienced rather than try to figure out exactly what happened to prevent the issue that I experienced from happening to others in the future (this is Audio Damage’s solution to what I experienced).

    Unfortunately, users may experience bugs on iOS that may seem similar but may have different causes or may try slightly different things which will effect what works or fails to work for them. If you believe what I have written about in the thread doesn’t resolve your situation, I’d encourage you to open up another thread to discuss it.

Sign In or Register to comment.