Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

*Hardware* korg wavestation - vs ios

The Korg Wavestation has been my holy grail synth since they came out. I had a pal, who was a great synthesist and champion of new synths who got the rack version (the one with the audio in) and he made the most amazing stuff I'd heard. I was smitten then and I still am. I know there is an ios version.

Anyone here have the keyboard version? Or did you? Can you now compare to the ios version? Is there anything lacking (besides the hardware experience)? Any reason to still get the hardware? I admit, I still want one. Thanks as always for your great input.

-kinkujin

Comments

• JesJes
    edited July 2018

I bought the original Wavestation when it first came out in 1990 and still own it.
    I actually fired it up last night and was running it through a smallish bass amp.
    I've played on and owned the software versions but there is something about the sound of the hardware version that I prefer..probably to do with the digital to analog converters.
    Sure, the iOS version is fantastic and makes editing a dream; however, for pure playing pleasure, the original wins hands down. There are a ton of great patches available, many of them are quite old now. The keyboard has been reliable and solid over the years, with only the occasional battery change. My backlight failed years ago, which is a very common issue, but I don't care about that too much. I can use a lamp or head torch whilst playing it so I haven't bothered fixing it cos that is a Pita. Lol.
    The a/d rackmount version of these with the analogue input is the holy grail of these instruments but the keyboards go at very cheap prices and are a great example of wave table and vector synthesis.plus they have a very nice Yamaha keyboard.

• Hi Jes. You lucky duck.

Is the battery a big deal to replace? Is it a drop in? I should just save my nickels and get one as I know this desire isn't going away. But, I probably shouldn't and I'm running out of space. In fact, I don't really dig modules all that much, I prefer to not dink around with midi cabling all that much, fire it up - and play. But, I should probably get over that. There is only so much real estate in my studio.

I had a Yamaha W7 once and the keybed was spectacular on it. Same vintage as the Wavestation and I presume that the Korg would feel great based on that. Yup, I still want one . . . . . .

• Hi! Nah, the battery is easy to replace..once you've removed the heap of screws on the bottom of the synth..its holder is fragile though and the battery only comes out one way ..
    I'm not sure where you are but there's one for sale on the bay in Australia at present. It's a Wavestation Ex with replaced screen and a hardcase and is at $167 Aud with a couple of days to go ..they do sell for ridiculously cheap amounts ..

• I'm in the US. Thanks for the heads up though. I think I'll just wait some more and wait for that monster deal to come up local or ebay or whatever.

Do you still record with yours?

Like I said, I shouldn't. hehehehehehehe

• update My lovely and supportive wife said that I could pursue my holy grail The Korg Wavestation EX. I am now waiting for shipment. Found one online at a great price in excellent shape with a bunch of cards! I’m over the moon ... and now biting my nails until it arrives.

• edited July 2018

cool - I'm with @Jes that such hardware brings a soundprint still worth having today B)
    (a similiar case is the EMU library that's now free with their PC desktop samplers - completely different from the hardware units)

• @kinkujin said:
    update My lovely and supportive wife said that I could pursue my holy grail The Korg Wavestation EX. I am now waiting for shipment. Found one online at a great price in excellent shape with a bunch of cards! I’m over the moon ... and now biting my nails until it arrives.

How exciting for you!
    You are in for a treat!!

There is a wealth of info and resources available online.
    Here are a couple of links, if you haven't found them already.

http://www.danphillips.com/wavestation/index.htm

http://www.korgforums.com/support/wavestation.htm

• Thanks guys. Yeah I’m super stoked. Thanks for the links Jes.

• I sold the ex rack mount when it was out in the stores in ‘93. I thing it had only 3 meg wave rom but way more good presets than the keyboard version. What a beast of a synth rack! That said, I wouldn’t get it. I’d use the Gadget version and maybe another synth on my next song.. SynthMaster anyone? Or maybe Layr

• Are there any other apps that do wave sequences?

• @Telstar5 said:
    I sold the ex rack mount when it was out in the stores in ‘93. I thing it had only 3 meg wave rom but way more good presets than the keyboard version. What a beast of a synth rack! That said, I wouldn’t get it. I’d use the Gadget version and maybe another synth on my next song.. SynthMaster anyone? Or maybe Layr

I understand. I'm of two minds with hardware.
    1) It takes up space and I can get 90% to 100% of the sound I want (depending) with software.
    2) There is something about putting my hands on an instrument and bonding with it. Corny and sentimental? Absolutely. But, still true and the tactile thing is not to be discounted, at least for me.

Anyhow, I'm closing in on having too much stuff. There is one more piece of hardware that I really desire and then it's either stop or institute a policy of 1-in-1-out. Honestly, I do most of my stuff with software now.

Good days ahead! Thanks for all the input and good cheer.

• edited July 2018

Ok, here's a quote I found on Sound-On-Sound article...

"All Wavestations have two front-panel slots for PCM Data (extra samples) and Prog Data (an additional bank of 50 user Performances). RAM cards to plug into the Prog Data slot are comparatively easy to get, since they are identical to those used by the extremely popular Korg M1 among others (part number MCR03 or equivalent).

Although dedicated Wavestation PCM cards occasionally appear secondhand to add extra samples to your palette, there are far more owners searching for them than there are cards available. Korg never officially recommended using their M1- and T1-series PCM cards with the Wavestation or 01/W series, since the sample loop format of these is shifted by two samples. However, many samples still sound fine, so it's well worth trying M1-series PCM cards, as far more of these turn up secondhand.

It's even possible to store your own sample data on a PCM card to use with either the Wavestation SR or Korg 01/W models, using a 2MB PCMCIA SRAM card as used by many laptops, along with a suitable utility program such as the PCM Card Workshop for PC."

Anyone here ever try to load a Korg M1 card into their Wavestation? I had never heard this before!

• @kinkujin said:
    2) There is something about putting my hands on an instrument and bonding with it. Corny and sentimental? Absolutely. But, still true and the tactile thing is not to be discounted, at least for me.

• HAHAHA ! Looks like great fun until the tearing down and packing up!

• Got it yesterday ... well ... it's just beautiful. Actually better than I thought. Condition is pretty darn great.
    One issue is the dreaded "sticky keys". Anyone take on cleaning them up yourself? I'm considering it.
    But in the meantime, play play play.
    -kinkujin