Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quanta for iOS released

Comments

• Am I correct that if you don’t use Safari to download the extra sound pack, you won’t get issues in Safari? Or are there people with issues that didn’t do this? If it’s only a download issue, that is easy to work around.

• @PhilW said:
    Am I correct that if you don’t use Safari to download the extra sound pack, you won’t get issues in Safari? Or are there people with issues that didn’t do this? If it’s only a download issue, that is easy to work around.

it’s not cut ‘n’ dried. I didn’t use safari to download the audiobomb stuff. used Docs to download.. and the presets went in fine via files app. it was only after making my own presets in Quanta and having Files app crash that safari issues occured. so it seems something in ios background has been pronged??
    Safari is still unstable but not unusable. you have to keep closing tabs and selecting the url window will freeze that tab etc etc blah blah... reboots aren’t clearing it.
    it’s just occured to me that it may be the Audiobombs free presets being in the files app that might be messing things.. I think I will get rid of those presets, back up all the ones i’ve made and maybe re-install Quanta to see if there is any joy that way..
    stay tuned..
    also... paging mr @Chris_Randall .. have you replicated this bug yet?

• @TheVimFuego said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Daveypoo said:
    Ok - I'm in on this via Doug's link, but mainly because this is Audio Damage. I own the rest of their apps and I'll give this a shot on pedigree alone, despite the fact that I don't get on too well with the granular synths.

I held off on Tardigrain and Spacecraft both for this. I already own iPulsaret, Stria, iDensity, Borderlands and probably a couple others. I'm hoping that Quanta is the one I can make sound musical.

We'll see...

Spacecraft is a different animal and well worth the minimal outlay, don’t hold off too long ... so playable and intuitive.

This thing is a possible if the Safari thing is sorted (if indeed it’s a Quanta issue).

Bit close to Quantum though, might need to have a naming bun fight. ;)

I downloaded the extra preset packs using Chrome and havent experienced any issues in safari

Good to hear, lots of people don't seem to have an issue, I'm going to leave it a couple of days though to get more feedback as I use the iPad daily and don't fancy losing Safari.

The power of granular is that you can choose your own sound source. I don't understand why you should limit yourself by only using some extra demo factory presets. The only issue i have are the tiny clicks i sometimes hear when i try to trigger notes fast after eachother. It must be a voice issue or the envelopes that maybe don't respond fast enough. Play it slow and everything sounds fine (click free). It feels like a tiny issue that can be easily fixed in a future update (I hope so).

• Documents by Readle should be in every iOS users arsenal of tools when ever downloads are needed.
    It can even act as a 'helper' to Safari. Just add 'r' to the url (ie. instead of http use rhttp) and let Documents manage the download, extraction etc.

I mean honestly, Safari can't even properly download *.wav files...

• @Proto said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Daveypoo said:
    Ok - I'm in on this via Doug's link, but mainly because this is Audio Damage. I own the rest of their apps and I'll give this a shot on pedigree alone, despite the fact that I don't get on too well with the granular synths.

I held off on Tardigrain and Spacecraft both for this. I already own iPulsaret, Stria, iDensity, Borderlands and probably a couple others. I'm hoping that Quanta is the one I can make sound musical.

We'll see...

Spacecraft is a different animal and well worth the minimal outlay, don’t hold off too long ... so playable and intuitive.

This thing is a possible if the Safari thing is sorted (if indeed it’s a Quanta issue).

I downloaded the extra preset packs using Chrome and havent experienced any issues in safari

Good to hear, lots of people don't seem to have an issue, I'm going to leave it a couple of days though to get more feedback as I use the iPad daily and don't fancy losing Safari.

The power of granular is that you can choose your own sound source. I don't understand why you should limit yourself by only using some extra demo factory presets. The only issue i have are the tiny clicks i sometimes hear when i try to trigger notes fast after eachother. It must be a voice issue or the envelopes that maybe don't respond fast enough. Play it slow and everything sounds fine (click free). It feels like a tiny issue that can be easily fixed in a future update (I hope so).

Yeah, half the fun is using it to experiment with every wav you can find or sample yourself and being surprised at the results you can get

• edited July 2018

@oat_phipps said:

Yeah, half the fun is using it to experiment with every wav you can find or sample yourself and being surprised at the results you can get

Agreed, I kinda like to add an envelope to sweep the start point for starters for old-school time-stretchy feel :)
    This way it's easy to throw in random samples to get a starting point.

• 7 page thread and no videos? What are you guys just sitting and looking at this thing?

• @supadom said:
    7 page thread and no videos? What are you guys just sitting and looking at this thing?

More likely drooling than looking as it takes time to tame the 'beast' :)

• edited July 2018

@Proto said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Daveypoo said:

We'll see...

I'm also hoping this voice stealing pop is a tiny issue that can kindly be updated :-)
    I had no issue with presets for filing etc. Only the app doesn't run correctly at 96khz

• R_2R_2
    edited July 2018

Regarding browsers, highly recommend iCab.
    Download manager, uploads, Files, zip and unzip, full screenshots of webpage (not just the visible part). Not much this browser can’t do. Use it since 2011.
    Very responsive dev too.

• @Samu said:

@supadom said:
    7 page thread and no videos? What are you guys just sitting and looking at this thing?

More likely drooling than looking as it takes time to tame the 'beast' :)

Cool, need some footage to get me off the fence ;)

• @Samu said:
    Documents by Readle should be in every iOS users arsenal of tools when ever downloads are needed.
    It can even act as a 'helper' to Safari. Just add 'r' to the url (ie. instead of http use rhttp) and let Documents manage the download, extraction etc.

I mean honestly, Safari can't even properly download *.wav files...

It’s the only app I know of that can extract .rar files too

• add me to the list of ruined Safari.
    Bought.
    Opened.
    Tried to load a sample from files. Seems to work fine.
    Played a bit.
    Closed it.
    Opened Safari to see what was up on the forum, and keyboard won't come up and spinning icon beside the wi-fi bars for 10-15 seconds before crash.

• edited July 2018

@[Deleted User] said:

@Proto said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Daveypoo said:

We'll see...

I'm also hoping this is a tiny issue that can kindly be updated :-)
    I had no issue with presets for filing etc. Only the app doesn't run correctly at 96khz

Yeah unfortunately for me it feels like a design fault.

I found a workaround for me to be happy enough with it though. :)

It's particularly noticeable if you use a sequencer eg Rozeta or similar, grain shapes don't affect it at all, it's more the speed/amount of midi being sent and how long the grains last. I like and use glitchy stuff a lot but I want to control the amount of glitching.

If you design patches around the poppiness then it sounds great, but if you want anything different or melodic this is a hindrance. It's the only thing which is stopping me from loving this, otherwise it's brilliant.

Doing some tests with desktop version and the frequency of pops does seem to have an affect with the number of active voices so does look like a voice stealing thing. If I set to 10 voices and have slow enough midi then the popping disappears. so a potential workaround at least, but more limiting on ipad version with 6 voices.

So when sending midi if I set the patch envelopes to a quicker release so that each grain is quicker the pops disappear for me (or far less). So when it runs out of voices and goes back to the beginning voice (all the yellow dots are full) it's when this popping seems to happen. At least it's more controllable for me if I do this.

But this isn't a nice granular popping but sounds like sample rate mismatch type of pop to me. When you design the pop into the envelop/grain shapes, that's where you get the "nice" popping sound.

I wish this had over 10 voices really, maybe one day it will, which will make it easier to use in a polyphonic way.
    so looks like using multiple instances is the way to go with this for me and share the midi between instances to create more voices, and less chance of these voice swap "pops"

The desktop version design is great too, I have a 23inch touch screen on windows 10 in Ableton Live and it scales up to full screen so it's just as a good touch screen experience as using it on ipad really (better even). A good example of where designing apps for both ipad and desktop simultaneously can help the windows touchscreen apps.

So I am tempted by the desktop version, but hope they might look at the voice popping issue or doubling the amount of voices.

• @DYMS said:
    add me to the list of ruined Safari.
    Bought.
    Opened.
    Tried to load a sample from files. Seems to work fine.
    Played a bit.
    Closed it.
    Opened Safari to see what was up on the forum, and keyboard won't come up and spinning icon beside the wi-fi bars for 10-15 seconds before crash.

oh, sorry to hear that.
    I had yesterday some time with quanta and jammed a bit, but I never imported anything from files or presets or whatever. safari still works fine. strange thing, hopefully @Chris_Randall will find this nasty issue and help with a fix... good luck, mate

• @DYMS said:

Did you have Javascript enabled in Safari?
    (That''s the first thing I turn off, allways).

• edited July 2018

@Proto said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Daveypoo said:

We'll see...

Er, I wasn’t suggesting I was going to limit myself to the presets, far from it, I like to sample my stuff from far and wide, the weirder the better!

I just don’t like having an app that may pork my main mobile browser should I decide to try somebody else’s presets at some point.

Given @DYMS ‘s latest post I think I’ll be giving this a miss until it’s diagnosed and sorted.

(Edit) Yes, the Documents app rocks.

• edited July 2018

Was able to fix it just now by going to
    settings -> Safari -> Advanced -> website data -> delete all

Got my keyboard back.

Scratch that. happened again.

• edited July 2018

I’m away from my iPad for the next day or two but I’m really curious — has anyone found a way to use Apple Loops from GarageBand? I don’t maintain a sample library of my own so I’ve been using the basic loops included with Logic Pro and it works great. I couldn’t figure out how to access loops from Quanta standalone, but is it perhaps possible from the AU? I don’t think you can view the timeline and the AU window all at once, and afaik you can’t access GB loops from Files.

If you can browse Apple Loops via AudioShare, that might be the push I need to finally pick it up. I don’t mind saving presets on the desktop and loading them to iOS if I have to; maintaining a separate sample library isn’t realistic on my iPad due to storage constraints, but I don’t use Apple Loops for anything else and GB is taking up all that space anyway...

Edit: I’ve been using the Logic loops on the desktop version. I grabbed the iOS version last night but only had a few minutes to play with it.

• edited July 2018

@Carnbot said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Proto said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Daveypoo said:

We'll see...

I'm also hoping this is a tiny issue that can kindly be updated :-)

Yeah unfortunately for me it feels like a design fault.

I found a workaround for me to be happy enough with it though. :)

It's particularly noticeable if you use a sequencer eg Rozeta or similar, grain shapes don't affect it at all, it's more the speed/amount of midi being sent and how long the grains last. I like and use glitchy stuff a lot but I want to control the amount of glitching.

If you design patches around the poppiness then it sounds great, but if you want anything different or melodic this is a hindrance. It's the only thing which is stopping me from loving this, otherwise it's brilliant.

Doing some tests with desktop version and the frequency of pops does seem to have an affect with the number of active voices so does look like a voice stealing thing. If I set to 10 voices and have slow enough midi then the popping disappears. so a potential workaround at least, but more limiting on ipad version with 6 voices.

So when sending midi if I set the patch envelopes to a quicker release so that each grain is quicker the pops disappear for me (or far less). So when it runs out of voices and goes back to the beginning voice (all the yellow dots are full) it's when this popping seems to happen. At least it's more controllable for me if I do this.

But this isn't a nice granular popping but sounds like sample rate mismatch type of pop to me. When you design the pop into the envelop/grain shapes, that's where you get the "nice" popping sound.

I wish this had over 10 voices really, maybe one day it will, which will make it easier to use in a polyphonic way.
    so looks like using multiple instances is the way to go with this for me and share the midi between instances to create more voices, and less chance of these voice swap "pops"

The desktop version design is great too, I have a 23inch touch screen on windows 10 in Ableton Live and it scales up to full screen so it's just as a good touch screen experience as using it on ipad really (better even). A good example of where designing apps for both ipad and desktop simultaneously can help the windows touchscreen apps.

So I am tempted by the desktop version, but hope they might look at the voice popping issue or doubling the amount of voices.

Exactly, the app was also made to be a musical granular interface and that entails playing chords/Harmony and melodic lines. That is where you will come across this issue. I'm hoping there is no need for extra voices just a fix for the voice stealing if that is indeed the cause.

• @TheVimFuego said:

I just don’t like having an app that may pork my main mobile browser should I decide to try somebody else’s presets at some point.

Given @DYMS ‘s latest post I think I’ll be giving this a miss until it’s diagnosed and sorted.

Yep, that's keeping me well and truly on the fence, considering DYMS didn't downoad the other patches. Don't like the sound of this 'popping' business either.

• In an attempt to solve this, I have tried everything I can think of, but just can’t get the address bar to work in Safari.

It’s very strange. I can bring up the keyboard to edit bookmarks, or type in a feild on a webpage, bit if I try to access the address bar at top it crashes.

Anyway, I dont know if continuing to report this adds anything to this thread on the app itself, so I won’t report back unless I find a solution.

• edited July 2018

@DYMS said:
    In an attempt to solve this, I have tried everything I can think of, but just can’t get the address bar to work in Safari.

It’s very strange. I can bring up the keyboard to edit bookmarks, or type in a feild on a webpage, bit if I try to access the address bar at top it crashes.

Anyway, I dont know if continuing to report this adds anything to this thread on the app itself, so I won’t report back unless I find a solution.

Did you try and imort the audiobomb stuff? If not then they can rule that one out as the cause.

• @MonzoPro said:

Checkout the desktop demo if I were you, exactly the same as iOS but with 10 voices and behaves same way etc. :)

• edited July 2018

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

Checkout the desktop demo if I were you, exactly the same as iOS but with 10 voices and behaves same way etc. :)

Cheers Carnbot I might just do that. I'm absolutely ready for this one, and the price is a no-brainer, but really want to see the Safari stuff cleared up. I realise it's only an issue for some users, but knowing my luck it'll hit me as well..

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

Cheers Carnbot I might just do that. I'm absolutely ready for this one, and the price is a no-brainer, but really want to see the Safari stuff cleared up. I realise it's only an issue for some users, but knowing my luck it'll hit me as well..

Yeah I've yet to see that issue so far, fingers crossed I won't.

• I don't need another synth, but, I'm tempted to jump at this intro price. However, do we have any idea when these safari issues will be solved and to what ipad/os's are susecptible to the issue?

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Proto said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@YZJustDatGuy said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Daveypoo said:

We'll see...

Er, I wasn’t suggesting I was going to limit myself to the presets, far from it, I like to sample my stuff from far and wide, the weirder the better!

(Edit) Yes, the Documents app rocks.

Just wanted to say quanta already contains factory presets which are automatically downloaded the first time you start the app. The Safari presets are just some extra presets which causing the issues and can be avoided.

• Sorry sounds silly but how do
    I create a folder in Quanta?

• I'm not getting the popping upon voice stealing you guys are talking about. If I am, it's very faint and dependent on grain shape, in which case that can be filed under intentional. I know you guys aren't stupid, and I'm not stupid, so maybe you can expound on this popping you're experiencing using a factory preset example?