Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quanta for iOS released

Comments

• @oat_phipps said:
    Anybody else getting a horribly out-of-tune oscillator only when mixed with the grain 'oscillator' (using the 'Osc In' knob)? It's just fine and perfectly in tune with my sample if using the leftmost unmixed 'Osc Level'.

Yes

But.
    I assumed it was my lack of knowledge in using the app.

I found the presets were perfectly tuned.

BUT, I didn't know if they simply had the proper pre settings and note/key of sample used or not.

Yes, I did notice an odd in ability to make they work.

The oscillator seems to be a mere drone or way to tie loose ends or gaps at this point in the process for me.

I am yet to understand how to tune and use the oscillator as a true "sound source"

Is that what you are referring?

sat
    This is definitely experimental on many levels for me.

I have not used an oscillator granular combo like this application or usage as of yet.

Mood's FM/Sample/Osc combo tuning and usage is the closer "vibe" I have seen. That took a minute but worked out.

THis is definitely not Tardigan or Space Craft......... ;)

• edited July 2018

Deleted, wrong info

• @[Deleted User] said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Carnbot said:

@Dchild said:
    Is anyone experiencing clicks when triggering notes. It’s definatley not the volume or the processor? It’s really noticeable when you have multiple instances going.

Yes I'm getting lots of clicks even with one instance, trying to adjust envelopes to hide them but not working for me. Hope this is something which can be fixed

AU?

IAA no issues for me

I’m also gettting this, using envelopes do not resolve the popping although I might be missing something.

Maybe I thought the clicks were part of the sound......LOL

Loser I am much?

Clickbait in my head?

What?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Carnbot said:

@Dchild said:
    Is anyone experiencing clicks when triggering notes. It’s definatley not the volume or the processor? It’s really noticeable when you have multiple instances going.

Yes I'm getting lots of clicks even with one instance, trying to adjust envelopes to hide them but not working for me. Hope this is something which can be fixed

AU?

IAA no issues for me

I’m also gettting this, using envelopes do not resolve the popping although I might be missing something.

Loser I am much?

Clickbait in my head?

What?

I think I’m missing something on this! Need to test more.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Carnbot said:

@Dchild said:

AU?

IAA no issues for me

Loser I am much?

Clickbait in my head?

What?

I think I’m missing something on this! Need to test more.

Nope I can’t seem to stop the popping during voice stealing.

• @Carnbot said:

@Dchild said:

I can’t seem to solve this one either, also hoping it can be fixed or someone explain a solution.

• Running fine on my iPad Pro 12.9. Haven't tried on the other iPads yet, because I'm too busy having fun with the Richard Devine presets. B)

• @RockySmalls said:

@Proto said:
    Just loaded a ambient wav file inside Quanta and it’s a big crackle fest. Using the same wav inside Ipulsaret and it plays buttery smooth, so must be something with Quanta engine that needs a fix.

I’m not saying this is a solution but to the people getting a lot of crackles: have you got UNISON switched on... I’ve found things play smoothly without it and as soon as its on things start to crack up a bit..

After a day playing with Quanta I must admit my experience is a lot nicer. I got rid of most clicks by trying a lot of different envelope shapes and adjusting the start/end marker.

Like it a lot.

• edited July 2018

@RUST( i )K if a cleaner sound is what you’re after rather the glitchier sounds which the developer has left in the app as I interpret his earlier comment in the thread, I think @Proto is on the right track. I agree it’s definitely different than the other iOS granular synths. I tend to like most granular synths, so this works for me too. Some presets are definitely less prone to pops or other glitches.

Using it with effect apps like Perf and Dubstation has been useful for me.

The DSP used by the app increases significantly depending upon how many voices are active.

There are some file management issues but hopefully the developer will be able to address them fairly soon. The biggest bug is the same one SpaceCraft had when it came out meaning you have to keep the first instance open if you want to change the sample in the preset or the app will freeze up.

The @Samu method for importing presets from a zip file into a folder inside Quanta via the Files app worked great 👍🏼.

• edited July 2018

@InfoCheck said:
    @RUST( i )K if a cleaner sound is what you’re after rather the glitchier sounds which the developer has left in the app as I interpret his earlier comment in the thread, I think @Proto is on the right track. I agree it’s definitely different than the other iOS granular synths. I tend to like most granular synths, so this works for me too. Some presets are definitely less prone to pops or other glitches.

The DSP used by the app increases significantly depending upon how many voices are active.

There are some file management issues but hopefully the developer will be able to address them fairly soon. The biggest bug is the same one SpaceCraft had when it came out meaning you have to keep the first instance open if you want to change the sample in the preset or the app will freeze up.

The @Samu method for importing presets from a zip file into a folder inside Quanta via the Files app worked great 👍🏼.

The pops I’m hearing I believe are not related to the presets or DSP usage, it seems to be related to max polyphony or how the voice stealing is calculated. So it can happen on low usage of DSP but full polyphony. Saying that I’m no programmer obviously 🙄

• @RUST( i )K said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Anybody else getting a horribly out-of-tune oscillator only when mixed with the grain 'oscillator' (using the 'Osc In' knob)? It's just fine and perfectly in tune with my sample if using the leftmost unmixed 'Osc Level'.

Yes

But.
    I assumed it was my lack of knowledge in using the app.

I found the presets were perfectly tuned.

BUT, I didn't know if they simply had the proper pre settings and note/key of sample used or not.

Yes, I did notice an odd in ability to make they work.

The oscillator seems to be a mere drone or way to tie loose ends or gaps at this point in the process for me.

I am yet to understand how to tune and use the oscillator as a true "sound source"

Is that what you are referring?

sat
    This is definitely experimental on many levels for me.

I have not used an oscillator granular combo like this application or usage as of yet.

Mood's FM/Sample/Osc combo tuning and usage is the closer "vibe" I have seen. That took a minute but worked out.

THis is definitely not Tardigan or Space Craft......... ;)

Ok, to follow up, when feeding the oscillator into grain section (NOT using it by itself), you need to go to the matrix window, find the cross section between Oscillator Tune (on the side) and Note (in yellow across the top), and turn that modulation completely off. This is set at 100 automatically on the default patch, which is the problem I was having. So double tap it off. Then the oscillator will be tuned with your sample.

It is quite fun leaving it on, and hearing some of the madness it creates though.

• It's the box with the level at 2 in the pic.

• The standalone oscillator is very pleasing to me. Really like the sound of the saw and the mix between saw and square.

• @oat_phipps said:

It's the box with the level at 2 in the pic.

Thanks!

• @InfoCheck said:

No, I like the sound?

So much so I thought the popping was part of the preset.

So, appreciate the recommendation to read the comment though.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@InfoCheck said:

No, I like the sound?

I like how Quanta sounds and the company is called Audio Damage so your thoughts about pops being built into presets seems reasonable. It’s also interesting that some people buy apps to add scratches and pops to their audio while others complain about them when they get them for free in apps.

• Presets imported. Thanks @Samu

• @Daveypoo said:
    Ok - I'm in on this via Doug's link, but mainly because this is Audio Damage. I own the rest of their apps and I'll give this a shot on pedigree alone, despite the fact that I don't get on too well with the granular synths.

I held off on Tardigrain and Spacecraft both for this. I already own iPulsaret, Stria, iDensity, Borderlands and probably a couple others. I'm hoping that Quanta is the one I can make sound musical.

We'll see...

Spacecraft is a different animal and well worth the minimal outlay, don’t hold off too long ... so playable and intuitive.

This thing is a possible if the Safari thing is sorted (if indeed it’s a Quanta issue).

Bit close to Quantum though, might need to have a naming bun fight. ;)

• edited July 2018

• Yer thanks @samu for the preset import explanation spent a hour yesterday trying to do this without success until I read how you done it.

• okay. I'm in love with Quanta. there I said it.

I've been dreaming of a powerful granular synth that can do microtonal scales on iOS for ages. and now it's arrived.

biggest letdown: it can't do microtonal as an Auv3 :(
    I realize that most people don't use this functionality, but it's on the top of my list of desired features in an instrument. So ok, I guess I'll use it IAA in AUM.. hmmm. no way to select midi channel in the standalone. what gives? seems pretty basic. and the checkboxes to select/deselect midi devices seem broken. hmmm.

on top of that, no program change via midi. So, (for now) it's a no go in live sets, relegating this to a studio/sound design tool. and it's really beautiful for that. I see lots of use. I just hope that developers see that if people are using these instruments with external gear (in my case, a sequencer and midi controller) then program change is a must.

I realize iOS isn't totally stage ready. I'm pushing for this and using it despite stability issues. but without such simple things as program changes how can one truly use this with a handful of other Auv3's? I'm not going to sit there mid-set and open up each AU, change the patches one by one every time I want a different sound.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Daveypoo said:
    Ok - I'm in on this via Doug's link, but mainly because this is Audio Damage. I own the rest of their apps and I'll give this a shot on pedigree alone, despite the fact that I don't get on too well with the granular synths.

I held off on Tardigrain and Spacecraft both for this. I already own iPulsaret, Stria, iDensity, Borderlands and probably a couple others. I'm hoping that Quanta is the one I can make sound musical.

We'll see...

Spacecraft is a different animal and well worth the minimal outlay, don’t hold off too long ... so playable and intuitive.

This thing is a possible if the Safari thing is sorted (if indeed it’s a Quanta issue).

I downloaded the extra preset packs using Chrome and havent experienced any issues in safari

• edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @oat_phipps said:
    The standalone oscillator is very pleasing to me. Really like the sound of the saw and the mix between saw and square.

Yepp, now think if the oscillator also gained the waveshaping parameters from the LFO? Two of those with sync, fm and ringmod options would create a pretty neat new synth :) (Not to forget combining it with some other goodies from Audio Damage like Grind).

• edited July 2018

@InfoCheck said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@InfoCheck said:

No, I like the sound?

I like how Quanta sounds and the company is called Audio Damage so your thoughts about pops being built into presets seems reasonable. It’s also interesting that some people buy apps to add scratches and pops to their audio while others complain about them when they get them for free in apps.

I love making pops and cracks, I spend many hours changing a perfectly good sound into a little high frequency click you can hardly hear :-) The issue here is when the app voice steals popping occurs regardless of ENV parameters or preset and that gives you less control over sound design if you happen to voice steal while playing. I mention it not as complaining, more with the idea that it could be something that can be fixed. It won't affect any other design in the app and pops and cracks can occur when you want them.

• edited July 2018

@Dawdles said:

@InfoCheck said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@InfoCheck said:

No, I like the sound?

Big difference imho between adding some subtle vinyl crackle to a track vs jolting pops/clicks from granular samples. Not sure anyone buys apps to add the latter?

If it had two modes - smooth vs pops, then I’d have bought this by now, but from what I’ve been reading it just sounds like maybe they just didn’t have the time/inclination to refine it...Tardigrain for instance is really impressive with how musical it is and smooth...Obviously not tackling pops/clicks is way easier/quicker than addressing them.. haven’t used Quanta yet though so I don’t know how bad these pops/clicks can be? Or how tameable they are when desired. I like lofi and clicks and pops, but it’s nice to have the choice....and not a fan of random SUPER loud clicks/pops that randomly dominate the overall sound and cause mix problems etc.

Not great reviews from this KVR thread for the pc version, but again it’s hard to tell whether the people complaining just haven’t figured out how to dial the clicks/pops out when needed or if it’s a design fault (for some people). -

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=504226&start=135

I totally agree with you on this one, from what I see it just a voice stealing issue.

• Pulled the trigger, but downloading the freebie presets from audio bomb maxed out my cache in safari, therefore filling my iPad Air to capacity... made Quanta real cranky... I never even got to install the AudioBomb presets.... the safari cache issue cannot be resolved quickly it seems: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8113505
    So I offloaded some heavy apps that don’t get much use on the iPad... Quanta is much more stable in all the hosts I tried AB3, Aum, ApeMatrix... had some crazy drones running this with the other granulars... can’t wait to get a new iPad... with more space! Even my iPhone 6 128 is freaking about the lack of space... is Quanta gonna be universal? I hope not lol? ;)

• So it’s Not an Heisenbug, it’s Not an issue in quanta, it’s the size of the presets?! Sounds weird, anyways with the backup I fixed that and played around wirh quanta and the factory patches. What can I say!?

This is brilliance! What a privilege to have such a Maschine on my iPad

• @david_2017 said:
    So it’s Not an Heisenbug, it’s Not an issue in quanta, it’s the size of the presets?! Sounds weird, anyways with the backup I fixed that and played around wirh quanta and the factory patches. What can I say!?

This is brilliance! What a privilege to have such a Maschine on my iPad

Yeah, I don’t know what happened with your install... I got the factory presets no problem, but the audiobomb website weirded out in safari, because I ran out of space... this also caused other issues like insta crashes in Quanta, I was running this in Standalone at this stage... in iaa and au in hosts after I did some house keeping, Quanta was acting as expected... i.e. amazing!
    Clearing Safari data is problematic as the link I posted shows...
    when you are low on space, this is a real pain!
    :)

• @YZJustDatGuy said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Daveypoo said:

We'll see...

I downloaded the extra preset packs using Chrome and havent experienced any issues in safari

Good to hear, lots of people don't seem to have an issue, I'm going to leave it a couple of days though to get more feedback as I use the iPad daily and don't fancy losing Safari.