Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LaunchControl XL + Launchpad iOS app - Native Integration?

This morning I was tinkering around and accidentally discovered that the LCXL in Factory Mode 4 seems to have native control of the Launchpad iOS app. Maybe I missed this somewhere? If so, posting in case I'm not the only one :)

Connecting LCXL to iPad via CCK

LCXL Factory Mode 4 Functionality for Controlling Launchpad iOS app:

Top 8 encoders (Green): Control Filters for Tracks 1-8 (Will turn Yellow when moving)
Middle 8 encoders: Blank - seem unused?
Bottom 8 encoders (Green): Control Volumes for Tracks 1-8 (Will turn Yellow when moving)
Faders: Also control Volume for Tracks 1-8
16 pads (Yellow): Toggle On/Off individual pads on the App (Green is On) (Hit Send/Select to Scroll up/down the pads - yellow bar appears to the Left of the 2 pads in focus on the app.
Track Select - Tap Right Arrow Button - 16 pads turn Red and Control the 16 Track FX slots for the app.
Record Arm - Start/Stop record function for the app.

Kinda nice because you can control Track Volumes, Toggle Pads On/Off and Control all the FX on the app - without having to toggle between the screens on the app. So just keep the main GUI up, and work the FX/Volumes.

Comments

• This also works when app is in the background, allowing you to use other apps on top of whatever you are playing in Launchpad without needing to keep swapping to the Launchpad app.
    It is even better if used with a Launchpad controller as well, you can have the pads on the LP for controlling loops, then on the LCXL you have the volume and filter and can have the pads for the FX (although bottom 2 rows of pads on LP also control FX.)

If you are lucky enough to own the Novation hardware Launch controllers (Pad, Control, Key) they integrate really well with the Ampify apps.

• edited July 2018

@AndyPlankton have you been able to get the mapping going with the LCXL & the Launchkey app? User Mode 6 is supposed to have a mapping where you can even scroll presets using the Track Select buttons. But when I'm making the connection the App will flash a "Launch Control Connected" message, then a "Disconnected" message. It does this about 3 times and none of the controls will work for me.

The Bar/Beat Sync between the LaunchKey and Launchpad app is great - would be really great to also control the app!

• @Aud_iOS said:
    @AndyPlankton have you been able to get the mapping going with the LCXL & the Launchkey app? User Mode 6 is supposed to have a mapping where you can even scroll presets using the Track Select buttons. But when I'm making the connection the App will flash a "Launch Control Connected" message, then a "Disconnected" message. It does this about 3 times and none of the controls will work for me.

I don't use the Launchkey app, I use Groovebox instead, so haven't tried it.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Aud_iOS said:

Aww you should, the arpeggiator sync is great!

• @Aud_iOS said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@Aud_iOS said:

Aww you should, the arpeggiator sync is great!

I did play with it a bit 'back in the day' but prefer the synths and overall performance tools in GB these days. I know not everyone agrees with me on that though :)

• I did play with it a bit 'back in the day' but prefer the synths and overall performance tools in GB these days. I know not everyone agrees with me on that though :)

I haven't tried it yet, can't keep up!

• edited July 2018

@Aud_iOS said:

I did play with it a bit 'back in the day' but prefer the synths and overall performance tools in GB these days. I know not everyone agrees with me on that though :)

I haven't tried it yet, can't keep up!

:o If you've got a Launchkey and you haven't tried Groovebox then you are missing out ;) Even the free version with no IAP is pretty good.

• S> @Aud_iOS said:

This morning I was tinkering around and accidentally discovered that the LCXL in Factory Mode 4 seems to have native control of the Launchpad iOS app. Maybe I missed this somewhere? If so, posting in case I'm not the only one :)

Connecting LCXL to iPad via CCK

LCXL Factory Mode 4 Functionality for Controlling Launchpad iOS app:

Top 8 encoders (Green): Control Filters for Tracks 1-8 (Will turn Yellow when moving)
    Middle 8 encoders: Blank - seem unused?
    Bottom 8 encoders (Green): Control Volumes for Tracks 1-8 (Will turn Yellow when moving)
    Faders: Also control Volume for Tracks 1-8
    16 pads (Yellow): Toggle On/Off individual pads on the App (Green is On) (Hit Send/Select to Scroll up/down the pads - yellow bar appears to the Left of the 2 pads in focus on the app.
    Track Select - Tap Right Arrow Button - 16 pads turn Red and Control the 16 Track FX slots for the app.
    Record Arm - Start/Stop record function for the app.

Kinda nice because you can control Track Volumes, Toggle Pads On/Off and Control all the FX on the app - without having to toggle between the screens on the app. So just keep the main GUI up, and work the FX/Volumes.

There was a video in the novation channel showing how the launch series are full compatible with Launchpad App but since they become Ampify seems lost (ouch) so no need for special user preset, just set them as low energy on startup andd you can use them (preferaby with newer cck or dock)

• I have an odd thing with CC 88 or 81 on XL
    Patterning in particular trying to CC learn one other app.
    Anyone else?

Phantom movement, but odd type of way

Anyone else?

• @Dubbylabby thx. And here’s the link from Novation on the Launchkey app integration for the LCXL, which I can’t get working https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206862169-How-do-I-control-the-Launchkey-app-using-my-Launch-Control-hardware-

• edited July 2018

LCLX? It’s for the regular LC... so in the case it works first you should discover if they share templates and the associated midi data. Afaik these are different since you can use both altogether in the same Launchpad app session.
    Also try engage Low Energy mode to be sure it is in the suggested setup from Novation...

• edited July 2018

@Dubbylabby said:
    LCLX? It’s for the regular LC... so in the case it works first you should discover if they share templates and the associated midi data. Afaik these are different since you can use both altogether in the same Launchpad app session.
    Also try engage Low Energy mode to be sure it is in the suggested setup from Novation...

I think in terms of the app they both work the same, thats why you only have level and filter available on the XL despite it having more pots....it's more likely the same messages but on a different channel based on device ID ?

Definitely try Low Energy Mode....mine just works (in Launchpad), i don't have to do anything other than plug it in. Maybe i set a template and it is just starting in that same template ?
    Low power mode setting are found in here..page 3
    https://global.novationmusic.com/sites/default/files/novation/downloads/9926/launchcontrolxlgsg.pdf

• It could be but I will start by sniffing midi messages with midi monitor and check what’s going on in each page to find similarties.

One day @AmpifyxNovation will add midi... wait. No, they will keep their handshaking and they will never release a foot controller...