Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Reggae lovers... help pleeeease!

Hi all,

I’m looking for something very similar to this bass sound.

It’s from Wayne Smith’s - Under Mi Sleng Teng

The original was made entirely on a little Casio MT40 home keyboard, by King Tubby using the Rock preset.

I don’t think there are many Casio emulators so could anyone guide me in making something similar in IOS?

I have most of the IOS synths available lol

Comments

• I'm sure you could get close with any synth that has a Square wave oscillator. For the drums - Ruismaker is my first thought. Or you can surf the web for samples of the Roland CR-78 CompuRhythm - maybe Funk Machine?

Feels fairly straight-forward....

• EDBEDB
    edited July 2018

I haven’t tested it but a quick search found these synth settings (hoping they’re generic enough for you)

from this vid

Hope they work for you

• Yep to a square wave OSC. The casio sorta sounds like there are two tuned an octave apart. Then, pay attention to the release time. And probably roll off some of the square buzz with the synth's LPF filter. Then, make sure everything other than the bass and kick have ALL of the lows rolled off (listen to the mix on that song—everything else almost sounds like it's been put through a HPF). Then, boost the shit out of the bass on the bass. Then, decide it's close enough and only King Tubby is King Tubby. :)

• nice one - had that Casio myself once. They are so crude that true fakes are a challenge, but as they happen to be small and cheapo it's worth hunting them ... B)
    The speaker sound is sqeaky as the first video shows, but the headphone/lineout is really good. Whatever synth source you choose, a bathtub eq curve will help - carve out the mid spectrum.

• R_2R_2
    edited July 2018

I think it was produced by King Jammy (not Tubby).
    Always liked this ‘version’ of that beat

• edited July 2018

I was introduced to the Slem teng by this

• thanks all! time to mess about with some square waves

• Not an ios solution but there's a video of the arturia microbrute doing this sequence on youtube. Maybe you can take a look at the settings in the picture and replicate them on another synth.

• The good old days

• edited September 2018

If there’s one song that defines the 90”s it’s this one...

Oh and that Dominator record... I’m the one and only... dominator... dominator...

• Made this Sleng Teng version some time ago on the iElectribe app.

• And this one in the iPolysix app.

• That’s fantastic.. did you create the waveform yourself? Ive tried saw and square wave but can’t get close. Thanks for posting.