Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iBassist is released

Comments

• @AudioGus said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @gusgranite please post benefits of AU in this app!

State saving. When using it in BM3 or Cubasis I like to load a project and have it recall all the settings. This way I can work in small chunks of time (as small as five or ten minutes) throughout the day without having to take notes/set things up. I am pretty much done with new non AU apps for this reason.

Funny, cause most of my AU plug ins on BM3 don't save states after I close a project but all of my IAA do save states

• @rms13 said:

@AudioGus said:

@LinearLineman said:

State saving. When using it in BM3 or Cubasis I like to load a project and have it recall all the settings. This way I can work in small chunks of time (as small as five or ten minutes) throughout the day without having to take notes/set things up. I am pretty much done with new non AU apps for this reason.

Funny, cause most of my AU plug ins on BM3 don't save states after I close a project but all of my IAA do save states

The only AU I have that doesn't support state saving is Spacecraft (and it is apparently coming). Which AU don't work for you?

Which IAA do you have that support state saving in BM3? I have never seen this with any.

• edited July 2018

@rms13 said:

@AudioGus said:

@LinearLineman said:

Maybe your IAA apps launch keeping the last tweaked parameters . Only IAA apps that support state-saving and only inside Audiobus can recall their state .
    If your AUs don’t save their parameters between projects it’s a bug ;)

• @AudioGus said:

@rms13 said:

@AudioGus said:

@LinearLineman said:

The only AU I have that doesn't support state saving is Spacecraft (and it is apparently coming). Which AU don't work for you?

Which IAA do you have that support state saving in BM3? I have never seen this with any.

Just to be clear, by "state saving" do you mean that all of the settings/presets remain after you close a project and reopen it on your DAW? That is what I am referring to. From my experience all of the Audio Damage and Bram Bos FX plug ins do not save state. All of Kymatica IAA FX plug ins do save state.

For instrument plug ins, the AUv3 ones I have do seem to save state and Waldord Nave IAA also saves state. Tenacious Frog IAA does not save state.

• edited July 2018

@rms13 said:

@AudioGus said:

@rms13 said:

@AudioGus said:

@LinearLineman said:

Just to be clear, by "state saving" do you mean that all of the settings/presets remain after you close a project and reopen it on your DAW? That is what I am referring to. From my experience all of the Audio Damage and Bram Bos FX plug ins do not save state. All of Kymatica IAA FX plug ins do save state.

For instrument plug ins, the AUv3 ones I have do seem to save state and Waldord Nave IAA also saves state. Tenacious Frog IAA does not save state.

One thing with Audio Damage plugins is if I use a preset and then tweak it the name of the preset no longer shows up when I reload (kind of makes sense) but the parameters are still the ones from when the session was saved. So in this case, yes state saving worked but it says ‘default’ which is misleading...

Initial loading of preset, tweaked and saved. Quit BM3...

Reloaded bm3 and session...

• On topic ,
    Mostly interested if you can trigger different rhythms/basslines with a footswitch.
    Is there other similar app ? (buying it plus soft/funk drummer is way of for my cheapy me )

• I don’t seem to have midi in or out of ibassist? Virtual midi is not recognised. Tried deleting, I’m on iPad Pro 9 inch latest iOS.

• @Dchild I noticed the same thing on my end too, ibassist doesn't show up as an midi option in any of my apps

• @AudioGus said:

@rms13 said:

@AudioGus said:

@rms13 said:

@AudioGus said:

@LinearLineman said:

One thing with Audio Damage plugins is if I use a preset and then tweak it the name of the preset no longer shows up when I reload (kind of makes sense) but the parameters are still the ones from when the session was saved. So in this case, yes state saving worked but it says ‘default’ which is misleading...

Interesting. I know that if I use a preset for Audio Damage (or Bram Bos) and don't tweak anything then the name says default when I open up again but I need to double check parameters. If I use a Audio Damage plug in and don't use a preset and tweak settings they do seem to stick. Either way there are a lot of little issues that I don't know if it's the plug ins, the DAW, the OS or what. I just hope updates eventually make it all smoother

• When I load iBassist in AUM or ApeMatrix, I have no sound out...did I press the wrong button somewhere?

• edited July 2018

@cuscolima said:
    When I load iBassist in AUM or ApeMatrix, I have no sound out...did I press the wrong button somewhere?

Open the app before loading it into AUM.. Seems to be a bug.. pretty sure a fix is coming soon. Doug alluded to it in his in video...

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

@cuscolima said:
    When I load iBassist in AUM or ApeMatrix, I have no sound out...did I press the wrong button somewhere?

You need to open iBassist stand-alone before loading into the host in order to get sound out. Hopefully someone has reported this. I haven’t.

• Thanks guys!

• @wim said:

@cuscolima said:

You need to open iBassist stand-alone before loading into the host in order to get sound out. Hopefully someone has reported this. I haven’t.

Thanks for this, tried twice yesterday in AUM and couldn’t make the connection. Strange though if one wants to send notes or chords to another app I found I had to open the other app first and then iBassist so I thought the same applied to AUM :)
    We can expect a prompt update from Luis...such a great app B)

• @Arpseechord said:

@wim said:

@cuscolima said:

Thanks for this, tried twice yesterday in AUM and couldn’t make the connection. Strange though if one wants to send notes or chords to another app I found I had to open the other app first and then iBassist so I thought the same applied to AUM :)

Yes, Luis said in his 'jamming' thread

@LuisMartinez Note: Make sure you open iBassist as standalone before loading with inter-app / audiobus, otherwise will not send sound. Will fix as soon as possible.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Arpseechord said:

@wim said:

@cuscolima said:

Yes, Luis said in his 'jamming' thread

@LuisMartinez Note: Make sure you open iBassist as standalone before loading with inter-app / audiobus, otherwise will not send sound. Will fix as soon as possible.

I probably did read that yesterday but didn’t register in my 🧠

• I’ve had a couple of issues - changing the tempo sometimes mutes the sound. If you change the bass sound to something else and then back again, that restores the sound. Also it often does not appear as a list of midi sources to drive other apps in chord mode. Loving it in general, I hope these little frustrations can be addressed soon.

• @PhilW said:
    I’ve had a couple of issues - changing the tempo sometimes mutes the sound. If you change the bass sound to something else and then back again, that restores the sound. Also it often does not appear as a list of midi sources to drive other apps in chord mode. Loving it in general, I hope these little frustrations can be addressed soon.

Yup I’ve noticed this too

• Anyone heard if there are plans for bassist
    To be universal ??

• @AudioGus said:

But you did notice that the 'values' are recalled correctly right?
    The 'patch name' is not part of the recallable AUParameters (Since it's not an AUParameter) which causes some confusion...

• @Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

The 'patch name' is not part of the recallable AUParameters (Since it's not an AUParameter) which causes some confusion...

I think that was the point 😉

• @denx said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

Yeah, to me it's still a 'bug' but I have no clue on how to properly fix it.

One way would be to also store the patch name as AUParmeter with a modified yes/no indication flag.
    Both those could then be recalled and confusion would be gone but as long as the patch name is not an AUParamater it will be tricky and that would be a long-shot since all AUv3's would need to be updated :)

• @denx said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

Indeed. Fake news. ;)

• @Arpseechord said:

@PhilW said:
    I’ve had a couple of issues - changing the tempo sometimes mutes the sound. If you change the bass sound to something else and then back again, that restores the sound. Also it often does not appear as a list of midi sources to drive other apps in chord mode. Loving it in general, I hope these little frustrations can be addressed soon.

Me three. The sound will drop out at times if you change settings - I didn't make the connection to tempo changes initially, but that sounds right. I was able to get it back sometimes by changing to a different instrument sound.

• Sorry if I missed it in this thread but iBassist doesn't make any sound when hosted in AUM, apeMatrix, or AB3. Its not listed as IAA in Cubasis nor Auria Pro. I have deleted it and reinstalled but still no sound while hosted. It works fine standalone and links nicely with RockDrummer and a synth for chords. I don't want to have to set up all three every time I use it so I figured saving the project in a host would work.

Am I missing something simple? Ipad Pro 10.5" running latest iOS.

• @Keebo said:
    Sorry if I missed it in this thread but iBassist doesn't make any sound when hosted in AUM, apeMatrix, or AB3. Its not listed as IAA in Cubasis nor Auria Pro. I have deleted it and reinstalled but still no sound while hosted. It works fine standalone and links nicely with RockDrummer and a synth for chords. I don't want to have to set up all three every time I use it so I figured saving the project in a host would work.

Am I missing something simple? Ipad Pro 10.5" running latest iOS.

Try loading iBassist before AUM etc

• That was it, @BiancaNeve. Thanks.

• @StormJH1 said:

@Arpseechord said:

@PhilW said:

Me three. The sound will drop out at times if you change settings - I didn't make the connection to tempo changes initially, but that sounds right. I was able to get it back sometimes by changing to a different instrument sound.

Think we can be quite confident Luis is working on an update as we speak

• @denx said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

OK, so you load a preset. You tweak a bunch of controls. You quit and then return to the app. If It reloads the preset then the state would be different than you left it. It makes sense to me that the preset name isn’t saved because the state you left the app in is no longer the same as that preset. I don’t call that a bug. It’s a design conundrum. The state could have no relation whatever in sound to the preset that was originally loaded. That’s misleading. The only way it makes sense to keep the name is if the controls haven’t been modified at all from the last save of the preset.

• @wim said:

@denx said:

@Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

OK, so you load a preset. You tweak a bunch of controls. You quit and then return to the app. If It reloads the preset then the state would be different than you left it. It makes sense to me that the preset name isn’t saved because the state you left the app in is no longer the same as that preset. I don’t call that a bug. It’s a design conundrum. The state could have no relation whatever in sound to the preset that was originally loaded. That’s misleading. The only way it makes sense to keep the name is if the controls haven’t been modified at all from the last save of the preset.

Agreed, so even the ’default’ preset name is missleading.
    A ’restored’ plug-in with changed parameters could dub the patch to - - - or if it was a named preset without modification it could use the preset name.

But even the preset name could be missleading if the plug-in was automated and it’s ui had moving knobs. Ie. what change was done by the automation and what change was made by the user tweaking the ui?

So to me adding some kind of indication that the values were restored or changed from default would be useful like a * or someting like that.