Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which daw

Using my drum loops via Dropbox with various midi synth gadget,magellen,sunrizer etc.....which daw should I use? Auria or cubasis?

Comments

• @therockalternative. I am new to this iOS stuff, but hearing about Auria and using Cubasis for several months I can tell you, for a beginner, Cubasis is the winner. Incredibly easy and intuitive to use. For the professional or near pro it seems Auria is more full featured, but I know of one engineer on this forum that immediately upped his progress when he switched from Auria to CB. That being said, please listen to the wiser heads here on the forum. CB is still on sale, I think. Good luck!

• Cubasis is useful to get things done easily and quickly. Auria is more demanding in size, processing power, price and learning curve.

• Cubasis 49.99 just checked.

• edited July 2018

@Ben said:
    Cubasis 49.99 just checked.

Well, you just missed the Summer SALE at 50% discount :neutral:
    Keep an eye on it - Cubasis goes on sale for a few times during a year including Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Christmas/etc. or when a new update is released.

• Have you considered GarageBand? It can do pretty much most of what Cubasis can do: MIDI sequence AU synths, apply AU effects on to tracks, the mixer is just as good, and it also has a loops interface and some pretty nice built-in instruments. MIDI editing is about on par with Cubasis, apart from automation editing (although you can record automation it can't be edited).

• And GarageBand is free, but you need iOS 11.

• @richardyot said:
    Have you considered GarageBand? It can do pretty much most of what Cubasis can do: MIDI sequence AU synths, apply AU effects on to tracks, the mixer is just as good, and it also has a loops interface and some pretty nice built-in instruments. MIDI editing is about on par with Cubasis, apart from automation editing (although you can record automation it can't be edited).

Not editing automation is indeed a bummer as is Garageband aparently receiving all midi channels at once with no ability to filter channels. Very much deal breakers for me. I just like exporting some of the exotic plunky stringed instruments every now and then.

• edited July 2018

@richardyot said:
    Have you considered GarageBand? It can do pretty much most of what Cubasis can do: MIDI sequence AU synths, apply AU effects on to tracks, the mixer is just as good, and it also has a loops interface and some pretty nice built-in instruments. MIDI editing is about on par with Cubasis, apart from automation editing (although you can record automation it can't be edited).

+1 for GarageBand, at this time the most reliable iOS DAW for AU rendering. Its loops mode is pretty unique on iOS too. MPE works really well inside GB. You can use it with IAA inputs too, like apeMatrix, AUM, Loopy, Blocswave.... To me, it only really lacks AU automation and AU midi out but there some workarounds. Not having loops mode would be worse for me. Can looks a little bit like a toy but in fact is pretty deep and powerful.

• @AudioGus said:

@richardyot said:

Not editing automation is indeed a bummer as is Garageband aparently receiving all midi channels at once with no ability to filter channels. Very much deal breakers for me. I just like exporting some of the exotic plunky stringed instruments every now and then.

+1

• Grageband is good. I wish transition animation were shorter, it could get frustrating when you need to jump between tasks and it takes ages. There is also some little things I’m missing like cycle recording and automation editing.

• edited July 2018

Nadav said:
    Grageband is good. I wish transition animation were shorter, it could get frustrating when you need to jump between tasks and it takes ages. There is also some little things I’m missing like cycle recording and automation editing.

those transition animations are there to visually cover up what would otherwise be unresponsive delays, ussualy caused by things moving around in memory etc.

• edited July 2018

Cubasis is the winner imo
    Garageband has no midi effects, no routing, no mixer, slow transition effects , have to “open” the channel to play it...
    Isnt it time for logic ios, to have more ‘advanced ‘ option

• @AudioGus said:

Nadav said:
    Grageband is good. I wish transition animation were shorter, it could get frustrating when you need to jump between tasks and it takes ages. There is also some little things I’m missing like cycle recording and automation editing.

those transition animations are there to visually cover up what would otherwise be unresponsive delays, ussualy caused by things moving around in memory etc.

Probably. But at some points i think it could be streamlined. Like when you go in and out of midi editing, i think that could definitely be faster or even instantaneous if they would preload it when you go into arrangement.

• @yonhorizon said:
    Garageband has no midi effects, no routing, no mixer, slow transition effects , have to “open” the channel to play it...

Do AU MIDI effects not work in GB? I've never tested them. Routing and mixer are pretty much on par between GB and Cubasis though.

• @richardyot said:

@yonhorizon said:

Do AU MIDI effects not work in GB? I've never tested them. Routing and mixer are pretty much on par between GB and Cubasis though.

Which routing? Which mixer?

• On my Mac if I click on a "standard MIDI file" it starts GarageBand and plays music with reasonably assigned MIDI instruments from it's standard sound library. So, I thought this would be a nice starting point on my iPad too for comparing some Virtual Instruments playing classics. I would just add in AU or IAA instruments on some tracks like piano or trumpet, etc. But no.

I have learned GarageBand on IOS won't import General MIDI files. Cubasis and Auria Pro say "Thanks, Apple". I say "WTF."

GB still does a lot of things worth looking into if you don't have any money for Apps. But if you do... invest in more control. With control comes complexity.

NOTE There are people here that do little more than practice learning to control sound. They don't make much music and they're always busy trying out IOS Apps and add-on hardware. It's called a Hobby and it's fun too.

• I'm using ios9 so gb is not an option

• I don't think iOS GB can export MIDI or stems whereas Cubasis can. For some that would make no difference but for some that is a dealbreaker.

• @richardyot said:

Some great advice to be had here. It’s important to understand what your own goal is before anything else. And trust me, I realize the challenge that can actually present. But if your goal is to be self contained on an iPad and only an iPad, GarageBand could probably easily take you where you wanted to be. The question gets muddier when you introduce external multichannel interfaces, but taking your initial question at face value, this is some very solid advice.

• @yonhorizon said:

@richardyot said:

@yonhorizon said:

Which routing? Which mixer?

This stuff:

The Cubasis mixer isn't really any better or more fully-featured than this. Routing is also more or less the same, except that Cubasis is more flexible with MIDI. You can add AU effects in GB.

• @richardyot said:

If you’re working with midi GarageBand is leaps and bounds better than Cubasis. I never liked audio recording in GarageBand however, or at least working with very precise editing for loops. Laying down guitars and vocals would be fine but getting 4 bar loops can be very tricky due to the low resolution waveform editing. Cubasis handles that much better.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@richardyot said:

If you’re working with midi GarageBand is leaps and bounds better than Cubasis.

Surely you mean the other way around? Garageband's MIDI support is rudimentary at best, whereas Cubasis' MIDI support is pretty much the benchmark on iOS.

Garageband is certainly a pretty solid music making app, but let's keep things in the right perspective.

• edited July 2018

@brambos said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@richardyot said:

Surely you mean the other way around? Garageband's MIDI support is rudimentary at best, whereas Cubasis' MIDI support is pretty much the benchmark on iOS.

Garageband is certainly a pretty solid music making app, but let's keep things in the right perspective.

What I mean is the smart instruments and other amazing things you can do with a midi clip like reverse, slow down or speed up, transpose in key and scale etc. The piano roll in GarageBand also works a lot better. Cubasis has buttons that need to be held down to move and you need to use the pencil or selector tool and other unnecessary processes that can be better implemented with pop up windows that appear on tap etc.

• My most recent creation was GB but I exported to CB to add effects and mix down. I really love the workflow of GB, the touch instruments are super fun to play on it is really unbelievable what you get for free. Literally my only beef is the lack of a proper mixer and no exporting of stems. CB has a fantastic workflow but it isn't quite the playground GB is.

If you are already involved in desktop and using Ableton then Gadget/novation products are your best options. They export ableton templates. Gadget will export VST files so that you have seamless integration if you also have the Mac version of gadget. It will cost you though.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@brambos said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@richardyot said:

What I mean is the smart instruments and other amazing things you can do with a midi clip like reverse, slow down or speed up, transpose in key and scale etc.

Those are nice features for sure. I love the smart instruments.

• @brambos said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@richardyot said:

Well, Cubasis is still lacking in the Grids department (we've been asking for triplet grids for >2 years now).
    Sure GaradgeBand doesn't have a dedicated 'grid setting' but the auto-snap is very good when zoomed in and the draw tool in GarageBand remembers the length and velocity of the last drawn note which make it quite good for drawing in notes. In other areas though it could use some improvements...

For the time being there's still room for improvement in both GarageBand and Cubasis but that's the way things are.

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@richardyot said:

Well, Cubasis is still lacking in the Grids department (we've been asking for triplet grids for >2 years now).
    Sure GaradgeBand doesn't have a dedicated 'grid setting' but the auto-snap is very good when zoomed in and the draw tool in GarageBand remembers the length and velocity of the last drawn note which make it quite good for drawing in notes. In other areas though it could use some improvements...

For the time being there's still room for improvement in both GarageBand and Cubasis but that's the way things are.

Let me be clear, when I’m recording midi I’ll do it in Cubasis absolutely. But if I were to program in something using stock instruments only, I’d be much more inclined to do in GarageBand than Cubasis. Though Cubasis has some nice patches and kits as well.

• @brambos said:

@LucidMusicInc said:

@richardyot said:

I think Cubasis, GarageBand and Auria all have different strengths and weaknesses when it comes to MIDI right now. Cubasis is the only one that supports MIDI AU effects but the other two are adding this soon (it remains to be seen how robust the implementations will be). But Auria and GB both have non-destructive quantize and transpose, and Auria has a bunch of MIDI effects that no-one else offers, including groove quantization. It's just not cut-and-dried IMO and preferences depend on the workflow of the individual user.

• edited July 2018

@brambos said:
    Cubasis' MIDI support is pretty much the benchmark on iOS.

:D But now you're tumbling to the OTHER extreme, right? ;) No velocity editing during playback, Undo stops playback, no scales support at all, no "advanced" MIDI processing whatsoever (not even legato), very limited selection tools... let's keep things in perspective :)

• Uh oh I feel the next DAW War is about to kick off. :#