Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SID Automated Mouth Retro Text-to-Speech

Comments

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@rblahut said:
    speaking only for myself, i contemplate deeper [speech] synthesis methodz - but if itz not clear, i hope keep "rbsam" a bit & on gritty c64 side. having said that, i do have ideaz on implementing speech resynthesis and/or vocoding (external) audio with a phat layered rbsam-style voice (as carrier [or modulator] oscillator).

my weekend was largely consumed with other thingz but i did throw some hourz at widget resizing, one-shot mode, & bug squashing. i hope to provide such soon. cheerz!

Keep on! No Sheepz til Buxton!

Steady on Ladd. ;)

• being both a little naive to scope of audiobus & grateful for this forum, i believe i should make rbsam audiobus ready... i have a few questionz to anyone inclined to answer:

should i bother including a simple sequence/phrase/pattern recording function? that can easily go down a rabbit hole, but doez have some utility.

should i bother with an internal fx chain (processing graph)?

i have my own thoughtz on these but why not hear from u'all ;-)

i'm grateful for the feedback i've recieved thus far. a minor update is not far off. thank u!

• I like the way you’re thinking @rblahut. Bring it on.

• @rblahut said:
    being both a little naive to scope of audiobus & grateful for this forum, i believe i should make rbsam audiobus ready... i have a few questionz to anyone inclined to answer:

should i bother including a simple sequence/phrase/pattern recording function? that can easily go down a rabbit hole, but doez have some utility.

i'm grateful for the feedback i've recieved thus far. a minor update is not far off. thank u!

It’s your app do what you like with it :)

I’d love to see an alternate playback modes based on the phonemes and words etc.(same as in freeze mode) of the generated phrase where each of the elements is mapped to the keys for easy glitch-type slice-playback. Optionaly the playback could continue to the next ’slot’ so it would be possible to start the phrase playback at different points but still play it thru,

Also implementing support for pitch-bend (+/- 24 semitones) could be handy in the above play mode, maybe this is too ’crazy’?

• edited August 2018

@rblahut said:
    being both a little naive to scope of audiobus & grateful for this forum, i believe i should make rbsam audiobus ready... i have a few questionz to anyone inclined to answer:

There are a lot ( Jacob Haq ) of external fx units on iOS already. My 2 cents if they don’t drastically change the timbre (like an eq or filter) of the sound I wouldn’t add any.

• @rblahut said:

No need for internal effects,

• thank u all for ur feedback ;-)

• @rblahut said:
    thank u all for ur feedback ;-)

Cool (and worthy) apps deserve to get feedback ;-)

• Audiobus is fine- we can do the rest. To be more accurate- Audiobus would be a major bonus- it’s really all that is required IMO

• noted!! ;-)

• i just released minor update which includez a "one shot" mode & keyboard re-sizer ;-)

• i've examined the auiobus sdk & hope to get it audiobus ready/enabled very soon.

• @rblahut said:
    i just released minor update which includez a "one shot" mode & keyboard re-sizer ;-)

Thanks for an awesome update! :-)

Would be nice to give the file a name when saving the buffer to file...
    ...sure it can be renamed in Files.app so it's not a biggie.

As an example here's the file tab with a file.

Select the file and the name pops up down there near the 'Share File'.
    Tap on the filename near the 'Share File' and this happens...

It's is possible to type a new name(without seeing anything) and once pressing ok the new name is there but it's not used anywhere, share still shares with the 'original' name.

So a good idea here is to disable the keyboard when tapping on the File field above the Share File button as it doesn't have any effect on the actual file even when edited :)

• thankz for bringing this to my attention! i'll see what i can do ;-)

• @rblahut said:
    i just released minor update which includez a "one shot" mode & keyboard re-sizer ;-)

Thanks for the great update!!

• after a long night, i revamped the backend to permit other voice stylez. wishing i could dump phoneme code out of me old waldorfz ;-)

• waldorf 4 life!

/rant

• @rblahut said:
    after a long night, i revamped the backend to permit other voice stylez. wishing i could dump phoneme code out of me old waldorfz ;-)

SEND HIM MORE COFFEE COCAINE MONEY TREATS AND THANK YOUS.

• @rblahut That new advanced section of the app is spectacularly insane. Love it!
    Thank you :)

• @rblahut said:
    after a long night, i revamped the backend to permit other voice stylez. wishing i could dump phoneme code out of me old waldorfz ;-)

Awesome!

• @rblahut said:

Thank you for making this available. Speech synthesis is fun.

Did you mentioned something about implementing other types of speech synthesis? I may have misunderstood.

An iOS sc01/sc01a would be cool, or an sc02 (ssi263) would be even better. Possible?

• @frond said:

@rblahut said:

Thank you for making this available. Speech synthesis is fun.

Did you mentioned something about implementing other types of speech synthesis? I may have misunderstood.

An iOS sc01/sc01a would be cool, or an sc02 (ssi263) would be even better. Possible?

near term, i wanna examine:

• straight-up wavetable spliced voicez
    • espeak-ng style voicez
    • ronan (from 2000z)
    • tiny text synth (very raw!)
    • flite/festvox

am not familiar with sc01/02... point me to an example if u want ;-)

• edited August 2018

2¢: back from a vacay... minor update very soon then will tackle alt synth methodz & audiobus integration. i saw that the mame emulator includez sc01a speech generation; gotta dig - but soundz kool & in line with "rbsam".

• @rblahut said:
    2¢: back from a vacay... minor update very soon then will tackle alt synth methodz & audiobus integration. i saw that the mame emulator includez sc01a speech generation; gotta dig - but soundz kool & in line with "rbsam".

+1

• @rblahut said:

I'll see what I have and pm you the info.

One of the mame emu contributors pulled apart a votrax containing an sc01a, as well as utilising an early discrete circuit version for info.

Kraftwerk used a highly modified speech synth circuit based on the sc01, or sc02 that allowed them to use realtime speech ( rather than the built in bp filters). There's a patent that discusses the idea and implementation.

The plogue chipspeech developer may have some info to share;

https://www.plogue.com/products/chipspeech.html

• yep, read into chipspeech long ago

• edited September 2018

so not that anyone here would care, but the mame code for sc01a emulation usez a model that emulatez the chipset as-is. rbsam basically pre-computez "chunkz" then doez buffer swappin'... it seemz like realtime (unless debug is on). i really want to have a dope ass retro-robot speech synth - the votrax is too kool - so i'm gonna tweak out and code dive this eve to see if i can force a shotgun wedding ;-)

• +1 for dope ass retro-robot speech synth

• I’m going to start calling everything “dope ass”.

Dear, could you please bring me another glass of dat dope ass Malbec?

Waiter, could I please get another refill of your dope ass coffee ☕️ please?

• edited September 2018

@rblahut said:
    so not that anyone here would care

I care :)

Thank you for reading up on the Votrax speech synths. Very robotic sounding/synthetic, especially when you drop the pitch and slow the speed down.

Can't wait to hear what happens.

You also mention 'tiny text synth (very raw!)'. The raw part caught my attention. Is this part of the original SAM program ?