Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Affinity Designer for ipad released

Comments

• @Carnbot said:
    Does Procreate do anything Affinity photo doesn't?
    I was never sure whether to get that one.

procreate is a unique app, it is well worth to have.
    I very much prefer it to draw, ink and color pictures over the Photo App.

I use Photo mostly to manipulate existing images, not to create original ones.
    But sometimes, this also overlaps, of course.

• @tja said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah Affinity Photo does have enough good painting options to cover me for now but maybe I'll get it one day.

• @Carnbot said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:

Yeah Affinity Photo does have enough good painting options to cover me for now but maybe I'll get it one day.

I suppose so.
    But I think that the brush engine of procreate is better, as is the pure painting experience.
    Just to add that :)

• Exporting a psd to procreate made procreate crash for me as well. It imported into Art Studio fine, but seems to have a lot of clipping mask layers, I’m guessing that’s what Procreate is having trouble with.

• tjatja
    edited July 2018

@girlvsworld said:
    Exporting a psd to procreate made procreate crash for me as well. It imported into Art Studio fine, but seems to have a lot of clipping mask layers, I’m guessing that’s what Procreate is having trouble with.

Both exporting and importing works perfectly fine between procreate and ArtStudio Pro!

It is Affinity Designer, that induces the problems - but again, maybe this is because of a specific setting within Designer for the export.

• @tja said:

@Carnbot said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:

I suppose so.
    But I think that the brush engine of procreate is better, as is the pure painting experience.

The new multi-layer capable liquify even pushes ahead of photoshop now in that area, so good!

• @AudioGus said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:

@tja said:

@Carnbot said:

I suppose so.

The new multi-layer capable liquify even pushes ahead of photoshop now in that area, so good!

Yep, and I just love the new Warp!
    But also, the easy layer select (in the settings).
    And the new Drawing Guide.

Great!

• @tja said:

@girlvsworld said:
    Exporting a psd to procreate made procreate crash for me as well. It imported into Art Studio fine, but seems to have a lot of clipping mask layers, I’m guessing that’s what Procreate is having trouble with.

Both exporting and importing works perfectly fine between procreate and ArtStudio Pro!

It is Affinity Designer, that induces the problems - but again, maybe this is because of a specific setting within Designer for the export.

Yes, I think Designer is adding the clipping masks which Art Studio can read but Procreate can’t. There is no setting in Designer to change that that I can see. A workaround would be to delete the clipping masks in Art Studio and then export again. Designer has very good raster painting tools though!

• @tja said:

@Carnbot said:

Procreate has amazing bruishes and textures. It has some photo manipulating stuff, but affinity photo is much more powerful.
    Here is a list of
    what each is best at
    Affinity photo- photo manipulation
    Procreate- digital
    painting
    Affinity designer- vector based illustration, with some raster features
    as well

If you have all three you will be covered creatively. they are all
    very fun.

• edited July 2018

@tja said:

@girlvsworld said:

Do it the other way around - finish the paint stuff in Procreate, then drop it into a new layer in Designer.

It’s like you’re trying to open an Auria project in AUM

• A few posts here about PSD export in Concepts being tied to the Adobe a/c.

So I asked them why and they replied...

For now we don't have the functionality in the app to create a PSD so we rely on Adobe CC to create it during the export for us. We are looking at how to do it ourselves but not sure where that will land in terms of priority.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    A few posts here about PSD export in Concepts being tied to the Adobe a/c.

So I asked them why and they replied...

For now we don't have the functionality in the app to create a PSD so we rely on Adobe CC to create it during the export for us. We are looking at how to do it ourselves but not sure where that will land in terms of priority.

Woww.
    Thanks for that.

So I would not like to use this anyway, as I don't like my stuff to be uploaded somewhere.

• edited July 2018

@tja said:
    @3sleeves I can only say that using PSD I can perfectly transfer files between Graphic and procreate!

So, that seemed to me the best format for such things and also to exchange between other Vector Apps.

Actually, one of the best things about Graphic is that it shares the clipboard with Procreate. You can copy items in Graphic and just paste them into your Procreate project. Makes for a super useful workflow on my iPad Pro, especially for bringing precise shapes into Procreate.

Sadly, the Affinity apps don’t seem aware of the general clipboard. Hopefully this is something that will arrive in the future.

• @Tovokas said:

@tja said:
    @3sleeves I can only say that using PSD I can perfectly transfer files between Graphic and procreate!

So, that seemed to me the best format for such things and also to exchange between other Vector Apps.

Actually, one of the best things about Graphic is that it shares the clipboard with Procreate. You can copy items in Graphic and just paste them into your Procreate project. Makes for a super useful workflow on my iPad Pro, especially for bringing precise shapes into Procreate.

Sadly, the Affinity apps don’t seem aware of the general clipboard. Hopefully this is something that will arrive in the future.

Ohhhhh. Thank you very much :) :) :)
    Did not know this

• Purchased this last night. It runs so smooth on my iPad Pro 10.5. I’ve always wanted to teach myself graphic design and I think this may help me

• Keeping the thread alive. Here’s the result of a couple hours of work on a red eye flight to Panama City Panama with tons of layers

• I have not purchased this yet, but intend to.

It's hard to get a read on whether this launch version is stable and solid... based on all the bug reports via the Affinity forum and the latest reviews. Seems to be a lot of crashing reported. Lots of lag, and issues with the Apple pencil.

Granted, most of what you tend to see are the negative reports and not so many from the happy campers. Also, I dove into their Photo app on launch and sort of regret it. If I had to do it again, I would've waited 3-6 months for all the wrinkles to get ironed out first.

How has the experience with this app been thus far from those here who've purchased Designer and are now using it? I'm on a 10.5 Pro with Apple Pencil running iOS11.4.1

• Well, someone has to say it.
    This needs to be AU!
    :D

• 👍🏻 well done ! > @echoopera said:

Keeping the thread alive. Here’s the result of a couple hours of work on a red eye flight to Panama City Panama with tons of layers

• @skiphunt said:
    I have not purchased this yet, but intend to.

It's hard to get a read on whether this launch version is stable and solid... based on all the bug reports via the Affinity forum and the latest reviews. Seems to be a lot of crashing reported. Lots of lag, and issues with the Apple pencil.

Granted, most of what you tend to see are the negative reports and not so many from the happy campers. Also, I dove into their Photo app on launch and sort of regret it. If I had to do it again, I would've waited 3-6 months for all the wrinkles to get ironed out first.

How has the experience with this app been thus far from those here who've purchased Designer and are now using it? I'm on a 10.5 Pro with Apple Pencil running iOS11.4.1

Hey Skip, I’m having a blast with Designer. It’s the first app of its kind to give me legitimate hope that one day I’ll be able to effectively create / refine / deliver client work all on my iPad. I’ve yet to put the vector facilities through their paces, but I plan to do a trial run of a mock branding project to see how this could work...from concept to mechanical file delivery without leaving the iPad.

In the meantime I have been enjoying the drawing capabilities of designer quite a bit. The “rope stabilizer” is an absolutely magnificent tool when precision is needed. There’s a nice selection of brushes (not ProCreate nice, but nice nonetheless) and I find the interface to be intuitive and well planned.

There are a few hiccups of course. I’m getting some random behaviors when trying to pinch to zoom the canvas wherein it activates the color selector as opposed to actually zooming. I also get some dodgy palm rejection performance, often creating a stroke with the edge of my hand when I definitely should not be. Other than those two things, I’m quite happy with Designer so far. Plus it’s one step closer to the glorious day when I can finally give Adobe their walking papers.

• @brice said:

@skiphunt said:

Hey Skip, I’m having a blast with Designer. It’s the first app of its kind to give me legitimate hope that one day I’ll be able to effectively create / refine / deliver client work all on my iPad. I’ve yet to put the vector facilities through their paces, but I plan to do a trial run of a mock branding project to see how this could work...from concept to mechanical file delivery without leaving the iPad.

In the meantime I have been enjoying the drawing capabilities of designer quite a bit. The “rope stabilizer” is an absolutely magnificent tool when precision is needed. There’s a nice selection of brushes (not ProCreate nice, but nice nonetheless) and I find the interface to be intuitive and well planned.

There are a few hiccups of course. I’m getting some random behaviors when trying to pinch to zoom the canvas wherein it activates the color selector as opposed to actually zooming. I also get some dodgy palm rejection performance, often creating a stroke with the edge of my hand when I definitely should not be. Other than those two things, I’m quite happy with Designer so far. Plus it’s one step closer to the glorious day when I can finally give Adobe their walking papers.

Any issues with Apple Pencil?

Not sure why I'm even sweating this. I already have their desktop apps and Photo for iPad. Of course I'm getting it. Even though Photo was abysmal at launch... they eventually ironed it out enough to use on actual print stuff. Doing more paid stuff in Lumafusion too. I can definitely see a day when I'll not really need a laptop at all.

Thanks for the detailed assessment! :)

• @skiphunt said:
    Any issues with Apple Pencil?

None so far.

I can definitely see a day when I'll not really need a laptop at all.

I’m a big fan of that day ;)

Thanks for the detailed assessment! :)

You’re welcome!

• edited July 2018

Me I think that it will never be so easy than with a mouse and a keyboardfor me. I bought him and I regret the difficulty to draw with my ipad 2018. We do but not very easy IMO.
    I mean drawing point by point moving and controlling anchor points.
    he also miss some usefull transform tools (twist, distort, noise...) as illustrator has. The share button to save the image crash the app for me!

• @skiphunt said:

According stability, I’ve used Affinity Designer on my 12,9” iPad Pro 2017 (256GB/4G) every single day since release.
    Some days four to five hour without paus...
    No crashes, no hassle at all, stable as hell!

Sometime the Apple Pencil act strange, but, I’ve discovered that is when the battery is low on charge...
    30-100% charged, the pencil is spot on in every occasion...

Compared to Affinity Photo, Serif (the company behind Affinity), hold this longer in beta mode that the Photo app last summer...

Affinity Designer is fuckin’ unbelievable addictive!

But, I miss some functionality, but, the roadmap on both the desktop version and iOS will add more and more functions down the road...

I use the Grid a lot, so one thing they should do is a faster way to show/hide the grid.
    There are three clicks now to show Grid, instead of one (if you had an icon direct on the UI)...

All in all, the power in your hands is just like a good DAW, it’s only up to you to make something special...

• @echoopera said:
    Keeping the thread alive. Here’s the result of a couple hours of work on a red eye flight to Panama City Panama with tons of layers

Great job on this piece of art!

• Oh wow! I'm really loving Designer!!! It's the vector app I needed, but didn't realize I needed. The interface has an excellent balance of loose free-flowing ability, mixed with a level of control that just makes sense to me.

Didn't really get into the desktop version that much... but that's because I likely didn't give it enough of a chance. On an iPad with an Apple Pencil... this appears to be the one I was waiting for!

I was a bit skittish due to all of the buggy reviews, but it's been mostly rock solid for me so far. Stellar even!

Thanks for the feedback in this thread :)

• edited July 2018

@skiphunt said:
    Oh wow! I'm really loving Designer!!! It's the vector app I needed, but didn't realize I needed. The interface has an excellent balance of loose free-flowing ability, mixed with a level of control that just makes sense to me.

Didn't really get into the desktop version that much... but that's because I likely didn't give it enough of a chance. On an iPad with an Apple Pencil... this appears to be the one I was waiting for!

I was a bit skittish due to all of the buggy reviews, but it's been mostly rock solid for me so far. Stellar even!

Thanks for the feedback in this thread :)

Yeah! As I said earlier, stable as hell!!

For beginners in vector paint apps/program, check out this women from Spain that using Designer for Mac (but everything can be done on iPad as well):

Some of her’s videos made me learn a lot, although I’ve used this kind of paint programs since early 1990’s...

• edited July 2018

Read something today that suprised me a lot...
    Already late 2015 Serif Inc. (Affinity) had an sneak peek on Affinity Designer for iPad...?

It took them 32 month after that to reach version 1.0...

You really have to had guts and ice in your stomach to invest in software... Software you’ll never know if it will be any kind of sale success...

Although Adobe Illustrator is the king, Affinity Designer delivers in many aspects, enough for many of us, especially on iPad!

So impressed of the iPad-version; stable, fast, joyful, addictive, and, fuckin’ cheap with no subscription;- )

• It’s absolutely amazing. They’ve done a stellar job with version 1. I’m a big fan of Concepts, but this is a different beast entirely and it brings out the creative side of my brain more than concepts does. They both will have permanent homes on my Ipad. Amazing apps, both with their own purpose.

• Really enjoying it.

Anyone able to export a psd with layers from Affinity and import it into Proceate?