Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Affinity Designer for ipad released

Comments

• @oldschoolwillie said:
    Wait is over, next Quanta, then Patterning 2, then I can sleep good.

Quanta.... what , when , where , where, ho told
    you? is it out now?
    i’ve been waiting for that one

• @tja said:

@skiphunt said:
    I'm trying to talk myself into this one. Truth is... I don't really draw that much. When I do, I usually go for Procreate (yes, I know it's not vector). For vector stuff, I like Concepts, and Vectornator is cool for basic stuff.

I like Concepts, but it has one major problem, that brings it into my Archive folder instead:

It cannot export (and import?) PSD files!

(It can do so only with a Adobe Account, which I never ever will have)

That’s so stupid ... no interaction possible with other Apps.

You van buy that for €10 or something at the app store.

• @bert said:

@tja said:

@skiphunt said:
    I'm trying to talk myself into this one. Truth is... I don't really draw that much. When I do, I usually go for Procreate (yes, I know it's not vector). For vector stuff, I like Concepts, and Vectornator is cool for basic stuff.

I like Concepts, but it has one major problem, that brings it into my Archive folder instead:

I don't understand... :o
    What can i buy for about 10 Euro in the App Store?

• @tja said:

@bert said:

@tja said:

@skiphunt said:

PSD import and export functionality for example.

• edited July 2018

@tja said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Nothing brings you off the fence about buying Stockholm quicker than Affinity Designer being released on iPad. 😏

Yeshhhhh

:) :) :)

You're damn right. :sunglasses: And Serif is always quick to put in "no subscription" on their website.

If I didn't want Designer so badly, I would've gladly waited to pay them full price. :lol: I couldn't wait though! It'll take a bit of time for me to familiarize myself with the interface, but this app goes DEEP! 😱 Breathtaking.

(Also, I just found out Vectornator is free. I may tinker with that (and hope they didn't go from $7.99 to free and then to some shite "freemium" subscription garbage, lol).)

• edited July 2018

@eross said:
    wait what? you can’t export files out of affinity designer without going through adobe cloud? that seems odd, especially since they are competitors

weird

Edit: I think you were confused by a few posts where folks were discussing Concept rather than AD. :)

I guess if you have the Creative Cloud app installed on your device, that's one option, but you can save to any place the Files app can access: iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, apps like Filebrowser, which I use to access shares on my desktop.

You can also click on the 'Share' button in the export dialog and access all the options form there as well. (Including AirDrop if you have a Mac).

• edited July 2018

I’ll likely get it. I want to just have to keep up with how to do stuff in fewer programs. Don’t like having to refresh my memory on how different stuff is done in different apps all the time.

The Affinity interfaces are pretty consistent. And there’s not a huge difference going between the desktop Photo app and it’s iPad counterpart. I already have the desktop Designer so it’d be nice to basically learn once but be able to apply the learning to both iPad and desktop use.

I really like Concepts, but if I haven’t used it in awhile I get completely lost and have to refresh my memory on how to do basic stuff every time.

Affinity Photo for iPad was a very rough launch. It definitely wasn’t ready for prime time, but I think they launched it anyway to coincide with an Apple featuring them during one of their Pro product launches. Photo very solid for me now though.

Does this first public version of Designer for iPad appear to be rock solid this time? Or, too early to tell just yet?

• A big portion of my day job is doing graphic work, and I think (especially for $13!), this is a game-changer for graphic design in iOS. I've done some good things in the Graphic app, but in tandem with Procreate and Affinity Photo, having this level of vector power will mean I can do the majority of my work on my iPad Pro with my Apple Pen. I couldn't be happier!

• @eross said:
    Quanta.... what , when , where , where, ho told
    you? is it out now?
    i’ve been waiting for that one

LOL! Still patiently waiting for Quanta ....Patterning 2
    I am very impressed with Affinity Designer, and Affinity photo

• I’m horrible at anything drawing. But I bought that Apple Pencil along with my iPad, so...I’m buying the apps. Including this. Not tried it yet, but I also downloaded Vectornator that someone above tipped about. I have pretty much most vector apps by now, gave Vectornator a quick test spin to see if there were any subscriptions or ads, but it’s the full thing, no nag screens, etc. Judging by the example GFX it’s pretty capable, up there with the best. And it’s completely free.

I bought SketchBook by Autodesk a while back, a few weeks back they made it completely free as well. Not a vector app I guess, but worth mentioning while we’re talking awesome apps, that are completely free.

• @bert said:

@tja said:

@bert said:

@tja said:

@skiphunt said:

You talk about the "Essentials" IAP?
    I have that aleady, of course - otherwise i could not notice the fact that you cannot export PSD files at all without having an Adobe account!

This is what I complained about - it's not possible!
    And to be honest, it is not only stupid but also outrageous!

They block customere to use PSD because of forcing the use of an Adobe account!

• edited July 2018

Just downloading Designer. Watched a few demo vids first (not fence sitting, I was going to buy it anyway, just wanted to get up to speed with the gestures), and the amount of functionality and attention to detail is incredible. This app is in a completely different league to anything previously released.

Hopefully this will work ok on my old Air 2, but if not, iOS versions of this and Photo are a very strong case for upgrading to something faster in the near future.

• @tja said:

@bert said:

@tja said:

@bert said:

@tja said:

@skiphunt said:

You talk about the "Essentials" IAP?
    I have that aleady, of course - otherwise i could not notice the fact that you cannot export PSD files at all without having an Adobe account!

This is what I complained about - it's not possible!
    And to be honest, it is not only stupid but also outrageous!

They block customere to use PSD because of forcing the use of an Adobe account!

Didn't know that. Sorry for that. And you're right of course. That's quite unusual. Didn't see that before.

• Bought today too, very good first impressions. I have Autodesk Graphic and Vectornator. which are both pretty good. But this is definitely desktop class which is what we want :)

• edited July 2018

can you export as svg?

• But will it just be part of the subscription package?
    If it's trying to encourage casual users that won't work. But it will make subscribing more attractive for pros.

• @eross said:
    can you export as svg?

Yes.

And the fact that you can have raster layers as well as vector layers is big plus with this app. :)

• edited July 2018

Love this version on the iPad. Might as well share some lunch time noodling on this thread.

• @Carnbot said:

@eross said:
    can you export as svg?

Yes.

And the fact that you can have raster layers as well as vector layers is big plus with this app. :)

agreed. I was i. the beta for affinity photo and loved it. And have it on the ipad. i can’t wait to get this on my ipad and use together with affinity designer, and apple pencil. so cool

• @MonzoPro said:
    Affinity Photo and Designer are probably as close as you’ll get to Adobe, without actually buying Adobe. They’re more Adobe than Adobe Elements.

:lol: That's the best sales pitch :smiley:
    For illustration on PC I already use Artrage + Sketchbook + Clip Studio Paint

With Affinity Designer I will surely be ok for the rest of my design pack :wink:

• edited July 2018

@senhorlampada said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Affinity Photo and Designer are probably as close as you’ll get to Adobe, without actually buying Adobe. They’re more Adobe than Adobe Elements.

With Affinity Designer I will surely be ok for the rest of my design pack :wink:

I've now got Designer and Photo for Mac, PC and iPad - the full set!

To be fair to Adobe I haven't used their stuff for a few years, certainly not since Affinity turned up, so I'm probably behind with what they can do now. Affinity certainly tick all the boxes for me though, and I don't miss Adobe at all.

I use Photo every day on the desktop, but haven't used it much on the iPad. Now I've got Designer on it as well I'm going to start using the iPad for graphics more - for example CD covers and web bits. Muck about with the pixel imagery on Photo, and then bring that into Designer for vector bits and to create a final print-ready layout.

Wish I had an iPad that supported iPencil now, that'd really make it a serious graphics tool.

• I use Adobe in the office strictly because my employer pays for it, out of the office Adobe Audition is the only CC program I use (and that’s very rare now...Hakusai on iPad is similar enough). Macromedia was always ahead of Adobe in my opinion, it was a shame when they become one entity. Affinity is my go to Adobe replacement for illustration, photo editing, and soon desktop publishing. I’m finding Designer is very intuitive to use with the pencil and gesture controls! An added bonus is that all my favorite Photo brushes are useful in Designer too.
    Professionals should be able to own the tools they use, not forced to rent access to them.

Rock on, Serif!

• @MonzoPro How is your workflow? Start creating something in Photo, and then export that to Designer? In which file format? And then you add Vector graphics?!?

I mostly do one or the other, or sometimes bring Vector stuff into a rastered format.
    This often is a problem too, as export as SVG or PSD just do not work or are impossible like with Concepts (with Abobe account).

But you do this the other way around, so I am curious to learn more about this :)

• @3sleeves said:
    I use Adobe in the office strictly because my employer pays for it, out of the office Adobe Audition is the only CC program I use (and that’s very rare now...Hakusai on iPad is similar enough). Macromedia was always ahead of Adobe in my opinion, it was a shame when they become one entity. Affinity is my go to Adobe replacement for illustration, photo editing, and soon desktop publishing. I’m finding Designer is very intuitive to use with the pencil and gesture controls! An added bonus is that all my favorite Photo brushes are useful in Designer too.
    Professionals should be able to own the tools they use, not forced to rent access to them.

Rock on, Serif!

Have you given Designer iPad a decent thrashing yet? Solid and stable without too many glitches/bugs?

I'm a little gun shy after diving right into Photo right at launch. There are a lot of bug reports on the Affinity Designer iPad forum... but it's always hard to tell if it's mostly user error and/or lack of knowledge. Or, if you're basically paying to be a beta tester... as I kinda felt with the Photo launch.

• @tja said:
    @MonzoPro How is your workflow? Start creating something in Photo, and then export that to Designer? In which file format? And then you add Vector graphics?!?

I mostly do one or the other, or sometimes bring Vector stuff into a rastered format.
    This often is a problem too, as export as SVG or PSD just do not work or are impossible like with Concepts (with Abobe account).

But you do this the other way around, so I am curious to learn more about this :)

I tend to hop back and forth between apps - so vector apps for simple flat shapes, and photo tools for bitmap work. Sometimes I’ll import vectors into a photo app to mangle or add fx. It’ll all be finalised in Designer though, as this is probably now the best app for creating accurate layouts, and working with text.

The beauty of the Affinity stuff is as well as working well together for a smooth workflow, some of the functionality overlaps - so you can incorporate bitmap/photo elements in Designer, and vector stuff in Photo.

And of course I can always export and carry on working on it in the desktop versions.

• @MonzoPro said:

@senhorlampada said:

@MonzoPro said:

I've now got Designer and Photo for Mac, PC and iPad - the full set!

To be fair to Adobe I haven't used their stuff for a few years, certainly not since Affinity turned up, so I'm probably behind with what they can do now. Affinity certainly tick all the boxes for me though, and I don't miss Adobe at all.

I use Photo every day on the desktop, but haven't used it much on the iPad. Now I've got Designer on it as well I'm going to start using the iPad for graphics more - for example CD covers and web bits. Muck about with the pixel imagery on Photo, and then bring that into Designer for vector bits and to create a final print-ready layout.

Wish I had an iPad that supported iPencil now, that'd really make it a serious graphics tool.

Reading your last few posts I just wanted to let you know that your lizard brain has already bought your next iPad. Can't say for certain when delivery is scheduled for, but I'd keep an eye out.... :)

• @3sleeves said:

Today one of my co-workers was trying to update his 3Ds Max License... Let's just say the annual subscription is enough to buy a motorbike here in my country. Or a car if you live in USA :lol:

• Thanks a bunch :)

• @skiphunt So far I haven’t put Designer through the ringer thoroughly on iPad, but it has handled the few complex vector projects I’ve thrown at it. The biggest issue I’ve noticed is an occasional lag when trying to duplicate an object using the 2 finger hold while dragging with the Apple Pencil. It definitely feels more polished than Photo did at first, and I know Serif is actively working on several improvements to help it compete with Illustrator.

My experience with the raster features in Designer has been very stable on iPad so far, it surprised me actually. The brushes work as well or better than they do in Photo.
    The low cost of admission sold me instantly on Affinity software - Adobe CC is $50/month, Designer for iPad and desktop together are $50 total right now and I can actually own them and get updates for free. Adobe’s mobile apps are useless to me, while Affinity is working on a universal experience between mobile and desktop.