Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

CHOON: Seems like a good publishing deal!

This is copied by permission of @o_imseng about the publishing host he is involved with. Considering the mainstream publishing routes this seems a terrific possibility. Thanks, Oliver, for bringing attention to it. Definitely 21st century!

Choon is a new crypto based platform. An artists signs a Smart Contract directly with Choon for releasing his material. The contract is stored on the Blockchain. Each day royalties are paid out in the form of note tokens. These note tokens equal to a certain amount of Ethereum, which you then can withdraw from your crypto wallet that supports it.

Choon cuts out all the intermediates that earn money of your music without really doing anything for it.
Let's say I release my track on itunes for 1.50USD, Apple takes 2 thirds from that, so that leaves 50 cents for me, well no, then there is the deal you made with the record company. Usually giving you something around 30-60% depending on what you agreed on with them. SO lets say you get 60% that leaves you with 30 cents per sale.

And as today everybody streams (Spotify etc.) its even less per stream. More of like 0.04 cents for 1 Spotify Stream. This you dont have with Choon. Its transparent, fair and honest and daily.

Oliver also pointed out in a later PM that there is a waiting list to join. That says something, I think.

Comments

• www.choon.co :wink:

• Choon seems absolutely awesome to me. I uploaded a few of my tracks (under the name Dalek dan, if someone's interrested) and get daily reports about streams/earnings. If I'm not mistaken Choon pays 80% to the artist.

I don't do any promotion apart from posting about new uploads on facebook/twitter/instagram (which is seen only by a small circle of friends), but Choon has sections like new releases which is immediately updated as you upload a track. They also have automatic genre playlists (based on track's genre tags) and a playlist feature for people who are not necessarily musicians, but like to curate playlists. They pay both playlist curators and musicians and you ,as a track owner, decide how much you'll share with the curators.

All this helps with your music's exposure. I am a happy user :)

There's a Telegram group where people are asking all sorts of questions, so it's a good place to get more info.

• Cryptocurrencies are an environmental disaster. Here’s an article on Ethereum from last year.

Bitcoin is even worse. Bitcoin mining consumes more energy than 159 countries - CBS News

• @mistercharlie said:
    Cryptocurrencies are an environmental disaster. Here’s an article on Ethereum from last year.

Bitcoin is even worse. Bitcoin mining consumes more energy than 159 countries - CBS News

Fixes one problem and adds to another?
    (a side comment, I don’t mean to fire anything up though it’d be great if we could fix both probs at the same time and both aren’t a joke)

I’ve signed up as Spectrl as the idea is great, it’s called ‘choon’ (a throwback for me to the 90s) and there’s just something about it that calls to me.
    I’m hoping to get cleared to post a couple of tracks and gonna put some d&b playlists.

Anyone know if there’s plans to be able to see who artists are following? It’d be fantastic to see who the artists I like are inspired by.

• Well @mistercharlie, I read the two articles and the information is unsettling. Hard to understand what the "mining" process is exactly which consumes so much energy and requires so many graphics cards. Maybe you can explain. Bottom line as I see it: good deal for artists but based on a seemingly wasteful currency. Need to hear more from both sides about it.

• I have nothing to share there, but it sounds interesting!
    Thanks for the information

• I would view this with healthy skepticism. What does Choon get out of this contract? And am I reading this correctly that your music is streamable only on Choon? Does Choon place your music on iTunes, Spotify, Tidal, etc?

TuneCore is a pretty solid citizen, I think. I'd recommend this way before I'd be tempted by a company that pays me in cryptocurrency. However, there's an annual charge per release, so if you're not going to sell, say, $50 worth of records a year, it might not be worth it. Of course, if you can't sell $50 worth of records per year, maybe there's a different problem?

• Does anyone have more feedback on Choon, especially around freedom?
    I’ve been cleared to upload but as a complete nugget in the music world I don’t want to get bummed.
    What’s important to me is ‘it’s mine’ and ‘I can do what I want with it when I want’. The whitepaper indicates that’s the case but ya never know and I was looking for an opinion from you guys who know more.

Might seem daft but I’ve 0xp and just wanna be creative and let everyone hear it, anything else is a bonus.
    Cheers leg ends

• Well then go ahead and upload. :smile:
    People have to start to realise that there is tons of music everywhere, while you may have a hit at your hands it is most likely the case for all of us that we do not. So you don't loose anything. Choon will eventually open up after the mining/stacking phase and offer innovative ways of interacting with your tokens and cryptocurrency or vouchers for all sorts of big online stores over Bidali.

You can still release material outside of Choon. You just need to make sure that no royalties are collected from Choon by copyright representative companies like GEMA or the like. If you have questions you can always write them a mail to their support address. They reply quickly and are very kind to explain the missing bits to you.

And about the if you can't sell for 50 a year argument. Yeah sure, go ahead and try it out. If you are above that average then your lucky. I had my music placed on so many stores, channels, CD Compilations and I got nothing out of it. The sheer amount of paperwork needed to actually claim your royalties with Labels, not even mentioning the long time it takes for a period to be payed out (1-2 years is not unusual actually), doesnt just make it worth it for me in the long run.

I have already earned more royalties with my newest tracks since 3 weeks beeing on choon that I did with my last two releases over the last 1.5 years.

• @o_imseng said:
    Well then go ahead and upload. :smile:

And about the if you can't sell for 50 a year argument. Yeah sure, go ahead and try it out. If you are above that average then your lucky. I had my music placed on so many stores, channels, CD Compilations and I got nothing out of it. The sheer amount of paperwork needed to actually claim your royalties with Labels, not even mentioning the long time it takes for a period to be payed out (1-2 years is not unusual actually), doesnt just make it worth it for me in the long run.

I have already earned more royalties with my newest tracks since 3 weeks beeing on choon that I did with my last two releases over the last 1.5 years.

That's excellent. Obviously, there's no one way to do this.
    But I was assuming you owned your masters when suggesting TuneCore (which, by the way, takes NO cut from sales at all). It's a different headache if you are going through labels...but then that's their headache, not yours right?If you released records on Domino, say, you don't have to get your songs on iTunes/Spotify/Tidal, etc; Domino does.

• Have been accepted for choon, giving it a go to see what happens.
    Have uploaded a couple of tracks.

https://choon.co/tracks/0wwamx991bh/close-to-the-sun

https://choon.co/tracks/2j0mnv13au/hey

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Have been accepted for choon, giving it a go to see what happens.

Nice, I really like the texture on ‘Close to The Sun’

• @AudioGus said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Have been accepted for choon, giving it a go to see what happens.

Nice, I really like the texture on ‘Close to The Sun’

Cheers :). All made with with Groovebox and blocs wave

• Cool Tracks @AndyPlankton and you already got a couple of hundred note tokens.
    As I said, its a new approach, I havent gotten anything to loose so I can only gain from this. Love the platform.

• @o_imseng said:
    Cool Tracks @AndyPlankton and you already got a couple of hundred note tokens.
    As I said, its a new approach, I havent gotten anything to loose so I can only gain from this. Love the platform.

Nothing to lose was my thought too, thanks for the heads up on it :) It is a new way of monetising music that doesn’t cost the listener, which I like the idea of.
    Not sure yet what to do with the notes, just collecting them for now.

Glad you like the tracks :)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@o_imseng said:

Nothing to lose was my thought too, thanks for the heads up on it :) It is a new way of monetising music that doesn’t cost the listener, which I like the idea of.

Good stuff Andy.

How much are 'notes' in real money, and how/when do you receive your payment?

I like the idea of getting something for plays, I don't make many sales on Bandcamp but get lots of plays on there and Soundclound.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@o_imseng said:

Good stuff Andy.

I like the idea of getting something for plays, I don't make many sales on Bandcamp but get lots of plays on there and Soundclound.

I have no idea of their value at the moment, you can withdraw them to a Ethereum? Account, which I don’t yet have, the platform is still in beta and more options are going to be added.

Spot on with the plays, if you can monetise those then no need to try and get sales.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@o_imseng said:

Good stuff Andy.

I have no idea of their value at the moment, you can withdraw them to a Ethereum? Account, which I don’t yet have, the platform is still in beta and more options are going to be added.

Spot on with the plays, if you can monetise those then no need to try and get sales.

Cheers Andy, I need to read up a bit about this bitcoin stuff, I haven't been paying attention to it - but if this site works and brings in a few pennies then it's worth checking out. I might create a couple of Choon specific pieces and see if they'll have me.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@o_imseng said:

Good stuff Andy.

Cheers Andy, I need to read up a bit about this bitcoin stuff, I haven't been paying attention to it - but if this site works and brings in a few pennies then it's worth checking out. I might create a couple of Choon specific pieces and see if they'll have me.

Not sure what the ‘vetting’ process is, all I had to do was give email address and link to soundcloud. Got an acceptance in a couple of days.
    Yeah more reading on crypto needed here too.

• The current token to crypto exchange is 10'000 Notes = 1 ETH.
    Currently the ETH stays at around 430 USD per ETH.
    The platform will open up in september, beginning september you will be able to transfer your notes into an ethereum wallet or transform it into a voucher through bidali (i.e. Itunes, Amazon ....)

• 800 notes in 3 days is looking good then :)

• @LinearLineman said:
    This is copied by permission of @o_imseng about the publishing host he is involved with. Considering the mainstream publishing routes this seems a terrific possibility. Thanks, Oliver, for bringing attention to it. Definitely 21st century!

Choon is a new crypto based platform. An artists signs a Smart Contract directly with Choon for releasing his material. The contract is stored on the Blockchain. Each day royalties are paid out in the form of note tokens. These note tokens equal to a certain amount of Ethereum, which you then can withdraw from your crypto wallet that supports it.

Choon cuts out all the intermediates that earn money of your music without really doing anything for it.
    Let's say I release my track on itunes for 1.50USD, Apple takes 2 thirds from that, so that leaves 50 cents for me, well no, then there is the deal you made with the record company. Usually giving you something around 30-60% depending on what you agreed on with them. SO lets say you get 60% that leaves you with 30 cents per sale.

And as today everybody streams (Spotify etc.) its even less per stream. More of like 0.04 cents for 1 Spotify Stream. This you dont have with Choon. Its transparent, fair and honest and daily.

Oliver also pointed out in a later PM that there is a waiting list to join. That says something, I think.

Sorry.

1) I really don't need any blockchain overhyped gagaga stuff for making music or selling music

2) It is useful, really useful, to get the mathematics right

3) Yes, there is a transparency issue, to say at least

4) Yes, there is an environmental issue - the complete system is fu***d up by design

5) Yes, there are some social issues (starting with tax avoiding)

6) No way - under no circumstances

7) EOD

• Anyone to his liking ;) Carry on, be happy B)

• Are you absolutely sure you still own the content that you put up there?

• @u0421793 said:
    Are you absolutely sure you still own the content that you put up there?

Exactly Ian.

I requested an account (you have to go through an approval process I guess) and got one, but haven’t uploaded anything. First, it’s a new technology and if I’ve learned anything in the last 15+ years of the internet age, you can never know what technology, format, site, etc. is going to take off so if you want your username, handle, branding, etc. get it early or else you’ll end up being JRSIV5421.

I want to wait a bit to see how the platform grows and see exactly how the intellectual property protections are going to be.

• It seems worth a try. It is set up so you can specify a playlist share percentage. I think the idea is taste makers will develop on the platform and they also get a cut for searching for the gems among the sea of tracks probably being uploaded daily.
    The whole crypto thing I don’t 100% get but I found this useful

• I ask, because https://choon.co/serverauth/showterms clause 11, and 13 (and 11 refers to 14, which must be an error).

• @u0421793 said:
    I ask, because https://choon.co/serverauth/showterms clause 11, and 13 (and 11 refers to 14, which must be an error).

Statements like:

“All Materials contained on the Choon Services are the property of Choon or its affiliated companies. ”

make me nervous.