Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ARP Odyssei still good?

Hi there.
I love the sounds that come from a (real) Odyssey - thinking about buying the Odyssey Module for my setup.

Does the iOS App "ARP Odyssei" (from the actual Korg sale) still play an important role?
How is it with connectivity to step-sequencers (Sequence, SPA, Quantum) or effects via any Host?

Does the Odyssei have any valid MIDI/CC out/in stuff - I guess not, sadly.

Could any one of you who have it shed some light on this? Please :)
Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Comments

• I've said it plenty on here...it has the best and most efficient on-board sequencer of any synth, so if you get along with it, you may find you don't need SPA, Quantum with it. It's 16 steps and you also have 3 modulation slots that you can use the step sequencer to sequence the amount of as well. It's a lot of fun.

I think it's by far the best Korg synth, because it actually has some character to its sound. The actual Korg synths, hardware and software, sound pretty lifeless to me.

And no, it doesn't have exposed parameters, and off the top of my head, I don't think it has MIDI learn even. It is a stable IAA however, so it functions smoothly.

• Oh, but it does work just fine with external sequencers, (except for the MIDI cc stuff, but I'm not 100% sure on that part...maybe someone else knows better)

• I like the sound too but I prefer the Gadget version of it as the layout and controls are easier to use. It doesn’t have the sequencer but that is not so useful as it does not sync with anything.

• It sounds really fantastic I love the sound. It’s unlike any other iOS synth I have. Funky and the duo mode is great. I never use the sequencer I just play it with a keyboard, but you can sequence it with other gear. It shows up as a Generator so in AUM etc you can’t do any channel filtering or anything.

If you want to share patches you have to take a picture and remake it manually. The onscreen knobs are hard to get where you want but there is some trick where you can flick your finger around to move in single increments. I was so upset when I realized that the patches stay where they are forever. No way I can make any patch on the tiny phone screen, can’t transfer the patch from my iPad, and can’t transfer the patch to my other iPad. Also, the patch you made in ODYSSEi won’t show up in Gadget on the same iPad have to remake it there too. By the time you remake your single patch 6 times, you’ll probably be a master of the flick your finger for the single value increment trick.

Summary, yes it sounds good and is relavent if you really like the sound. Korg needs to get with the fact that it’s iOS in 2018 though, I’ll be very surprised if they do.

• @DMan said:
    It sounds really fantastic I love the sound. It’s unlike any other iOS synth I have. Funky and the duo mode is great.

Can't you get close sound-wise with Zeeon after some tweaking?

• @DMan said:
    It sounds really fantastic I love the sound. It’s unlike any other iOS synth I have. Funky and the duo mode is great. I never use the sequencer I just play it with a keyboard, but you can sequence it with other gear. It shows up as a Generator so in AUM etc you can’t do any channel filtering or anything.

If you want to share patches you have to take a picture and remake it manually. The onscreen knobs are hard to get where you want but there is some trick where you can flick your finger around to move in single increments. I was so upset when I realized that the patches stay where they are forever. No way I can make any patch on the tiny phone screen, can’t transfer the patch from my iPad, and can’t transfer the patch to my other iPad. Also, the patch you made in ODYSSEi won’t show up in Gadget on the same iPad have to remake it there too. By the time you remake your single patch 6 times, you’ll probably be a master of the flick your finger for the single value increment trick.

Summary, yes it sounds good and is relavent if you really like the sound. Korg needs to get with the fact that it’s iOS in 2018 though, I’ll be very surprised if they do.

Korg will seemingly always refuse to adapt and evolve with iOS. They were major players in the beginning and now they are way behind. Too much effort porting gadget to Mac and a freaking video game console..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You might like Synth One as well. Completely free and quite similar to Oddessey.

• Thanks all for looking inside this :)

@LucidMusicInc said:
    You might like Synth One as well. Completely free and quite similar to Oddessey.

Got that, need more time in/with it.

I think I'll take that ARP-bite then.

• Most people say it's pretty damn close to the real thing. Definitely the best Odyssey emulation you're going to find.

• Best of the Korg bunch in my opinion. I absolutely love the sound. As Oat said, the sequencer is A+.

• @rs2000 said:

@DMan said:
    It sounds really fantastic I love the sound. It’s unlike any other iOS synth I have. Funky and the duo mode is great.

Can't you get close sound-wise with Zeeon after some tweaking?

Zeeon is one of those synths I bought on sale and barely ever used. I’ll get into it one day it looks simple and easy to use. I made one PWM patch and loaded it with free presets I mostly didn’t like. It doesn’t look like it does Duophonic mode and that is the only way I ever use ODYSSEi so, I’ll say without trying that there is no way to test if it comes close if there is no Duo mode. Zeeon sounds pretty clean too, ODDYSEi is gnarly and funky. Looks like Zeeon went up in price today!!

• edited July 2018

Biggest unison sound on iOS but not so much fun to use with the bad preset management and some other non touch friendly things and sadly just half the voices of the plug-in version.

• I can't get Odyssei to consistently show up in my app list in audiobus; anyone else have this problem?

• Still no Link.

• @traybat said:
    I can't get Odyssei to consistently show up in my app list in audiobus; anyone else have this problem?

Does it show up if you open it first, then look in your AB list?

• ODYSSEI is still king. Best sounding synth on AppStore if you ask me. Easy to program.
    In Gadget it shines above all the others.

• @Kühl said:
    ODYSSEI is still king. Best sounding synth on AppStore if you ask me. Easy to program.

I've almost picked it up a few times, but haven't heard any video demos that have made me pull the plug. It seems very harsh sounding most of the time - is it capable of smoother more lush sounding pads and synthscapes? The Berlin synth is based on this no? Perhaps that's why I'm not keen on it as Berlin was never a favourite for me... still I am craving a new gadget so I'd like to be sold on it...

• The Lexington is the odyssey, the Berlin has sliders similar to an Arp Odyssey but doesn’t sound much like one, imho.

• @Halftone said:

@Kühl said:
    ODYSSEI is still king. Best sounding synth on AppStore if you ask me. Easy to program.

I've almost picked it up a few times, but haven't heard any video demos that have made me pull the plug. It seems very harsh sounding most of the time - is it capable of smoother more lush sounding pads and synthscapes? The Berlin synth is based on this no? Perhaps that's why I'm not keen on it as Berlin was never a favourite for me... still I am craving a new gadget so I'd like to be sold on it...

The demo sounds from Korg is awful, and put me off for a long time. But I’m glad I gave it. In my opinion it’s capable of everything from Kraftwerk to floating dreaming pads

• @Halftone said:

“Smooth and lush sounding” Do you have iMono/Poly already?
    ODYSSEi can do smooth and lush too. But i like to use it for raw/rougher lead sounds and iMono/Poly for smoother Poly stuff.

• As other have said, it’s a bit of a closed box but one of the few duophonic synths available on iOS. This sounds underwhelming compared to 32+ voice polysynths, but duophony is its own thing — with the sync and ring mod options in the oscillators, you can use the upper key to control the overtones of the lower note. It’s amazingly unique and I’m still not aware of any other iOS synth that lets you do it.

It’s also Korg’s most accurate virtual analogue model — they captured oscillator drift and correct analogue envelope behaviour.

My typical use case involves a Bluetooth midi controller. I basically just treat the screen as a control panel and pretend that it’s an actual ARP; I sync everything by ear and try not to worry too much if the LFOs or anything drift out of time. It’s meant to be analogue, it can’t be perfectly in-sync right? But it’s not a suitable solution for every style of music and I think it’s valid to complain about the minimal connectivity options.

If you’re not interested in the duophonic aspect, Moog’s Model D and Model 15 both offer super convincing analogue modelling with a host of connectivity options, including Ableton Link and fully-assignable MIDI CCs for input and output. They don’t have the exact character of the ARP but they’ve got gallons of character all their own.

• edited July 2018

Fantastic sound! Although the ARP SEQUENCER re-creation in ODYSSEi standalone is amazing it unfortunately syncs with nothing including Gadget. The sequencer is missing in the Lexington gadget and standalone patches are not compatible with the gadget version. +1 for needing Ableton Link support. In addition to duophonic mode you can increase to 8 note polyphony at least in the standalone version.