Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pitch range in Midiflow?

I’ve got the ROLI seaboard block working very expressively in Arturia ISEM. ISEM doesn’t have mpe but midiflow is creating expressive slides and after touch!

The last thing I need to do is find out if there is a way to establish pitch range parameters in Midiflow?
Pitch bend barely bends at Isem’s default setting.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited July 2018

I don’t think so. Pitch bend (and any other cc) has a fixed range of values. If the controller is sending that full range of values. It’s iSEM that’s deciding what to do with those values. You can’t just multiply the values to get more range of response out of iSEM.

Pitch bend is more complicated than this, but to simplify the example, take a normal cc: the range of values is 0-127. You can’t multiply the value by 10 to get 0 - 1270 and get 10x the range. Not only would it be impossible to send that range over midi, but the receiver wouldn’t know what to do with it.

The only way you can deal with this is through the setting of the patch.

...that is, assuming the Roli is sending the full range. I assume you’ve checked the settings on that end.

• edited July 2018

@klattgalvin said:
    I’ve got the ROLI seaboard block working very expressively in Arturia ISEM. ISEM doesn’t have mpe but midiflow is creating expressive slides and after touch!

The last thing I need to do is find out if there is a way to establish pitch range parameters in Midiflow?

iSEM apparently has a fixed pitch bend range of -/+ 2 semitones. If that's sufficient (and I guess it is when you're playing the seaboard), just add a MidiFlow
    "Remap Controller",
    incoming=Pitch-Bend,
    Mode=Direct,
    Remapping=Curve
    and try moving the second of the four curve points down and the third one up.
    Also choose Outgoing Controller=Pitch-Bend.

Pitch bend range should be considerably extended now.

• @rs2000 said:

@klattgalvin said:

iSEM apparently has a fixed pitch bend range of -/+ 2 semitones. If that's sufficient (and I guess it is when you're playing the seaboard), just add a MidiFlow
    "Remap Controller",
    incoming=Pitch-Bend,
    Mode=Direct,
    Remapping=Curve
    and try moving the second of the four curve points down and the third one up.
    Also choose Outgoing Controller=Pitch-Bend.

Pitch bend range should be considerably extended now.

Thank you! That expanded the pitch range. 👍

Is it possible in Midiflow to mimic mpe functionality, having each key to have their own, independent channel for expression? Assigning pitch blend and after touch is great if I’m only using one key. When I try to play multiple keys at once they cancel out an expression since they are competing for the same channel. Does that make sense?

• Thank you! The pitch bend is working better. 👍

• There is a way to hack together AU apps in a mock MPE way. I posted my first test about it a couple days ago here. https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/27150/test-1-using-aum-to-host-non-mpe-au-apps-in-a-diy-mpe-mode#latest
    You’ll only pitchbend +/-2 with iSEM but it will start and stop at the actual note position in that range. It will also be per note polyphonic pitchbend.

I wish Roli had an iOS editor instead of me having to use my laptop, but reading this thread made me realize I might be able to just make a patch in MIDIFire, or get MIDIflow if that doesn’t work. Then leave the seaboard block at default and set up patches for various pitchbend ranges. +/- 2, 12, and 24 most likely. That should cover everything. I’ll have to give it a try.