Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

At this point am I just being silly by not upgrading my Air and Mini 2 to 11?

2»

Comments

• @brambos said:
    Strange, my Air 2 performs really well on 11.x
    I barely notice any performance difference with when I bought it.

Same here. Most hardware issues I have are linked to new apps (like model 15) being more demanding.

• @1nsomniak said:
    Sunrizer AU works on 10.3 now btw.
    That sucks that rozetta requires 11, was just about to pick that up.

I'm not seeing the new version of Sunrizer available to update on my iPad Pro (running 10.3.x). Details still says requires iOS 11. Is it out in the app store now or coming?

• @peanut_gallery the 10.3 compatible AU is coming, its still in beta

• @denx said:

@brambos said:

Same here. Most hardware issues I have are linked to new apps (like model 15) being more demanding.

Model 15 ran fine for me with other apps for a while.

Then things changed.

It may not be iOS 11.

You are right.

I personally tie the issues with Model15 in particular to their AB3 implementation.

As soon as that other midi situation was included in the app I started having issues and demands were increased by the app FOR ME IN MY OPINION

But IOS 11 did correlate with issues that seemed to just allow for less multi app use.

With the same apps on the same device.

Could be totally coincidence but I just always linked the 2 using knowledge guided by experience.

• Keeping my
    IPAD Air 1 on IOS 7.0 staying there
    IPAD PRO 2 on IOS 11 may up to IOS 12
    iphone 8 plus= IOS 11 may up to IOS 12

• Yes, it is 10.3 compliant in the App Store today.

@1nsomniak said:

@Crawlingwind said:
    I'm on 10.3 and Sunrizer AU is not happening. Just tried.

I forgot that Im using the beta version, it should be released soon and work on 10.3
    Had 3 instances of it working in Aum on my old iPad 4.

• @Crawlingwind said:
    I'm on 10.3 and Sunrizer AU is not happening. Just tried.

@1nsomniak said:
    Sunrizer AU works on 10.3 now btw.
    That sucks that rozetta requires 11, was just about to pick that up.

Wait a bit, AppStore propagation takes some time.

• @InfoCheck said:

@brambos said:

My experience has been similar to yours.
    @MobileMusic which 2-3 apps cause your iPad Air 2 to struggle? I routinely use a lot more than that without any issues. It sounds like your system has some significant issues going on.

We’ve all been through this before on other threads. My Air 2 is significantly borked after the update, when previously it ran perfectly, even after disabling everything I can find that I had switched on before.

It’s hotter, slower, loses battery quicker and charges slower.

My guess is older devices of the same model aren’t coping with it as well as newer ones.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I have an Air 1, so my perspective may be of some relevance for you.

First, let me say: OS 11 is by far the buggiest release ever from Apple. They essentially broke the “Hey Siri” feature so that it can’t be used when the Smart Cover is closed. Siri is also much slower, harder of hearing, and inaccurate now.

There is also a bug where some internal audio sounds, such as ring tones, get stuck when they stop (but ONLY when the charging cable is plugged in), and I have confirmed this with two different Air 1 iPads, so it’s not just my unit:

See:

Other little annoyances have crept in with recent 11.x.x updates. For example, landscape/portrait view often gets stuck. I turn the iPad to the side and it stays stuck in portrait. I have to put the iPad to sleep and then wake it to get it unstuck. This happens multiple times a day for me in Safari. There are other minor annoyances such as this that all started w/ iOS 11, but i can’t think of them all right now. (Typing in comment fields in Safari is often screwed up, esp. in Facebook; Embedded Youtube videos in Safari can no longer full screen, stuff like that...)

Ive had the screen rotation bug since iOS 10, had hoped 11 would cure it but still there (had it again last night). Seems more prominent when an update is pending.

• @MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

@brambos said:

@MobileMusic which 2-3 apps cause your iPad Air 2 to struggle? I routinely use a lot more than that without any issues. It sounds like your system has some significant issues going on.

We’ve all been through this before on other threads. My Air 2 is significantly borked after the update, when previously it ran perfectly, even after disabling everything I can find that I had switched on before.

My guess is older devices of the same model aren’t coping with it as well as newer ones.

That's not unlikely, as I bought my Air 2 quite late in its model cycle (just before the new model was announced/launched). So mine is almost 2 years younger than those that were bought early on.

• @Processaurus said:
    If you have an iconnect interface DO NOT update to iOS 11- their app that you need to futz with the midi and audio routing is broken, and they have given up on fixing it, until Auracle, their new version of the control software, comes out on iOS.

You could just use a PC/Mac to do the routing. The unit itself remembers the routing so you can even go to a friends place and do it. I've been using a very specific setup for a while now so don't really need to reroute all the time. Mainly cause it can break earlier projects if I constantly change my routing.

• @chris_foster said:

@MobileMusic said:

Air 2 => performance is sluggish after upgrade to iOS 11. Cannot keep more than 2-3 apps open simultaneously. Typing is slow for typed chars to appear. Scrolling and refreshing screens is like a turtle's pace.

Have you tried.... General | Accessibility | Reduce Motion: On

My air2 is fine after upgrading. Not sure why you're having issues. Have been able to multitask with no problems at all. At best I've lost maybe 5% performance compared to ios10

• edited July 2018

@brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

@brambos said:

That's not unlikely, as I bought my Air 2 quite late in its model cycle (just before the new model was announced/launched). So mine is almost 2 years younger than those that were bought early on.

Yeah I remember you saying. Mine’s over 3 years old now. Battery condition seems ok, but maybe newer models have upgraded components which can cope better with the extra load the newer iOS puts on the device.

I was in a real quandary about updating, as (apart from the rotation bug) I was on a perfect ‘sweet spot’ with 10.

I’m hoping the promise of better performance on 12 puts me back there, otherwise I’ll have to chug along until I can afford a new iPad.

• @brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

@brambos said:

I bought one of the earlier models iPad Air 2 models which ran hot from the get go. The battery ended up swelling so Apple swapped it out for another for the cost of a battery replacement last fall. In my experience, your battery could very well be the source of your heat problems.

• @InfoCheck said:

@brambos said:

@MonzoPro said:

@InfoCheck said:

@brambos said:

I bought one of the earlier models iPad Air 2 models which ran hot from the get go. The battery ended up swelling so Apple swapped it out for another for the cost of a battery replacement last fall. In my experience, your battery could very well be the source of your heat problems.

Weird thing is it didn’t do it until I upgraded to iOS 11, not an issue at all before then.

Might be an idea to sell this one before it crashes and burns, though I was hoping for Apple to do an iPad model refresh first...

• edited July 2018

I just wish there was a way to prevent iOS 11 from downloading all the time. It's a PITA, takes up too much room, and I'm always afraid I will install it by accident. Right now, taking my Air 1 off line is not an option.

• edited July 2018

@InfoCheck said:

@brambos said:

@chris_foster
    @brambos

I bought my Air 2 the moment it was released in 2014 and so, it is almost 4 years old now. Plus, as the battery gets older, Apple degrades performance in iDevices to balance out on other stuff - as admitted by themselves. Also, the device should have at least 5 GB of free space (10+ GB recommended) - mine is the 128 GB model with 45 GB free space. Turn off Bluetooth from Settings after use (it doesn't turn off completely from Control Center as Apple still keeps it open for Pencil, AirPods, HomePod, iWatch, etc :neutral:).

It could also depend a little bit on how many apps are installed and how many apps have their notifications, etc. turned on. I've turned off notifications and made other optimizations in Settings for all the apps including Siri. I have many games I bought for my kid (from Angry Birds to SpongeBob to Minecraft to Goat Simulator :neutral:) and that add up to a lot of stuff installed but not used anymore - I use only apps. I retained the games just so when I visit him (lives in another state), he could use my iPad if/when the battery on his iPad gets discharged or when he forgot to charge it. I don't have another Air 2 from 2014 with fewer apps installed to compare if installed apps impact performance on iDevices and to what extent.

The only apps I use are Microsoft Outlook, OneNote, RD Client, FIles, Vantage, Wunderlist, Documents, Analytics Pro, Navicat, Coda, Chrome, YouTube, YT Studio, Luma Fusion, Fontasy, FiLMiC Pro, Filmic Remote, Rode Rec, Google Drive, Quora, Netflix, IMDb, Apple Music, Spotify, DI.fm, Cubasis, SM1, Poison-202, Kauldron, FLSM, Animoog, SwarPlug, GeoShred, Geo Synth, midiLFOs, Nanologue, Sensual Sax, Jubal Flute, bs-16i, VocaLive, djay 2, GB, Music Memos, Medly, Guitarism, Synthesia, Syntorial, Smule, Yokara, AudioShare, Final Touch, Aerofly FS 2, Apple News, Flipboard, TED, Udemy... However, all of these apps are closed immediately after use (except Outlook and Chrome which are always left open). Also use my LotteryPool iPad app I developed - https://sites.google.com/site/powerobject/apps

Using Cubasis with 4 tracks of SM1 or 6 tracks of SwarPlug as AU's maxes out CPU to 100% with crackling. On iOS 10, CPU never crossed over 60% even when I overloaded it with multiple tracks, AUs, FX, etc. and the sound never crackled. While auditioning sounds in SM1, crackling happens from polyphony overload. I can keep about 5-6 apps open on iOS 11 depending on their memory footprint but prefer to close them right after I'm done with them.

If you have a very old Air 2 or have hundreds of apps installed, be cautious and ask around others' experience from upgrading to iOS 11 on similar devices. Maybe iOS 12 would bring back some lost performance on old Air 2's. Newer Air 2's should be fine as they have newer chips, newer batteries, newer storage media...

How old is your device?
    How many apps does it have installed?
    How is the performance after upgrading to iOS 11?
    How many apps can you keep open/use without impacting performance or maxing out CPU?

• @Crawlingwind said:
    I just wish there was a way to prevent iOS 11 from downloading all the time. It's a PITA, takes up too much room, and I'm always afraid I will install it by accident. Right now, taking my Air 1 off line is not an option.

That’s quite easy.
    I suppose, you have some router / modem that allows to add IP filters or some child protection?

Add this to your blacklist:

mesu.apple.com

And if you don’t like Microsoft to control your updates too, add those as well:

crl.microsoft.com
    download.microsoft.com
    download.windowsupdate.com
    ntservicepack.microsoft.com
    office.microsoft.com
    officeupdate.microsoft.com
    stats.microsoft.com
    update.microsoft.com
    v4.windowsupdate
    windowsupdate.com
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    wustat.windows.com

Voila, no automatic uploads or loads.
    I have this as one of two profile and change, when i feel the need to update.

• Will investigate. Thanks!

• @MobileMusic said:
    Using Cubasis with 4 tracks of SM1 or 6 tracks of SwarPlug as AU's maxes out CPU to 100% with crackling. On iOS 10, CPU never crossed over 60% even when I overloaded it with multiple tracks, AUs, FX, etc. and the sound never crackled. While auditioning sounds in SM1, crackling happens from polyphony overload. I can keep about 5-6 apps open on iOS 11 depending on their memory footprint but prefer to close them right after I'm done with them.

Not sure how you check the CPU usage, but some time ago (iirc around the time iOS11 was released) AUM changed the way it displayed CPU load. It changed from showing the "average load" to "peak load". The latter obviously being higher. Not saying this has any correlation with crackling and degraded performance, but just something to keep in mind when comparing CPU usage over time :)

• edited July 2018

@brambos said:

@MobileMusic said:

Not sure how you check the CPU usage, but some time ago (iirc around the time iOS11 was released) AUM changed the way it displayed CPU load. It changed from showing the "average load" to "peak load". The latter obviously being higher. Not saying this has any correlation with crackling and degraded performance, but just something to keep in mind when comparing CPU usage over time :)

As you may already be aware, Cubasis shows a graph of CPU usage in the Inspector on the left where it toggles between Poly/CPU on tapping with a Panic button - it is the total CPU usage across the device including all the open apps. If the device max's out on RAM usage (even by other apps), it cannot perform efficiently.

However, SM1 shows a 3rd of what the CPU reading Cubasis reports. Maybe, SM1 is reporting memory usage by just SM1 and not all the open apps across the device? If so, it's not helpful. I reported this as an issue here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/512406/#Comment_512406
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/509389/#Comment_509389
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/502024/#Comment_502024

• @RUST( i )K said:
    For me

My AIR 1 = avoid iOS 11
    My Air2 = iOS 11 (staying there)
    My new iPad 6 = iOS 11 (will upgrade)
    My iPhone 8+. = iOS 11 (will upgrade)

Haha. For me:

Pro 10.5 stays firmly on 11.2.6 until...

...my air 2, always on latest and greatest, has a working, rock solid set up for playing live.

Then I will upgrade my pro, but I sincerely doubt it I’m going to go 12 on release. More like 6 months after, if at all.

I actually just today managed to get a decent live AB3/AUM combo, doing things I need it to so fingers crossed. I will have to test it hard before 12 comes out and 11 stopped getting signed or I’ll be forever stuck on 11 ;).