At this point am I just being silly by not upgrading my Air and Mini 2 to 11?

The initial reports with 11 and older hardware (Air 1 and Mini 2) were conflicting, but recent reports have been fairly positive IIRC, but I still hold off...

I'm not using my iPads for any ongoing production so it would be a good time (and I definitely want to do it before 12 appears, if I do it) but there are those update horror stories about "one update too far."

Am I being silly and it's now equivalent to the 9 to 10 upgrade for my hardware?

«1

Comments

  • If you have Nanostudio 1 and other 32-bit apps you like, definitely hold off from iOS 11.

  • @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    If you have Nanostudio 1 and other 32-bit apps you like, definitely hold off from iOS 11.

    Negative on the Nanostudio and I haven't gotten the 32-bit warning in a long time.

  • Just took the plunge this week on my Air 1: So far so good. I expected the performance hit to be huge, but it hasn’t been that noticeable really. Plus it’s only going to get better with ios12 coming out in a couple of months.

    Ios11 exclusive stuff like Rozeta, Sunrizer AU, and Dervoco made it all worthwhile. Rozeta and the concept of AU midi plugins is amazing. It’s like all my ipad DAWs and hosts recieved a massive feature upgrade to generative stuff I’d only see in Ableton and Max for Live. The files app looks cool. The new app store kinda sucks...i think they got rid of the wish list.

  • @coolout said:
    Just took the plunge this week on my Air 1: So far so good. I expected the performance hit to be huge, but it hasn’t been that noticeable really. Plus it’s only going to get better with ios12 coming out in a couple of months.

    Ios11 exclusive stuff like Rozeta, Sunrizer AU, and Dervoco made it all worthwhile. Rozeta and the concept of AU midi plugins is amazing. It’s like all my ipad DAWs and hosts recieved a massive feature upgrade to generative stuff I’d only see in Ableton and Max for Live. The files app looks cool. The new app store kinda sucks...i think they got rid of the wish list.

    agreed on the midi plugs being almost like max4live :D only problem is it made me want ableton on IOS even more :/

  • Sunrizer AU works on 10.3 now btw.
    That sucks that rozetta requires 11, was just about to pick that up.

  • If it wasn't for Rozeta requiring 11 I wouldn't have updated. Despite lots of dismissals on here about 11 not affecting performance, my Air 2 has been shit since the update. It gets blisteringly hot, and battery life is atrocious. This started immediately after the update.

    Saying that I wouldn't go back to 10 because Rozeta and the AUM/AU workflow is core to how I work now, and generally AU's run ok. If they weren't then I'd go back in a heartbeat.

    Really depends on your workflow.

  • I'm on a Mini2 and have stayed on iOS10 because I am a Nanostudio user. However been looking at Rozeta with interest but as there is _still _no sign of any release for Nanostudio2 I realise with sadness I might have to take the plunge to iOS11 sooner rather than later. Certainly before iOS12 is released.

    Currently the Mini2 is performing well (aside from being full of course :smile: ) so loath to upgrade and get shocking performance (like iOS 9 on the iPad2 - that was dire).

  • I’m about to unplug my Pro 10.5 from the matrix.

    No IMO you’re not crazy at all.

  • Something that was posted over on the IPad musician Facebook group that seems to prevent the Over the Air IOS upgrades is this: https://www.unlockboot.com/completely-disable-ota-updates-on-iphone-ipad/

    I've applied the profile to both the Mini2 and Touch6G and they both report they are on the latest version of 10.3.3. Not saying this is a good idea - but if you are desperate to stay on the older iOS and are fed up with it constantly downloading the image then it could work.

    I'm always a bit wary of "just download this to make it work" I find on the internet - security and things - but from what I know about iOS profiles the risk seemed low. Just a thought.

  • iOS11: I am still a bit sceptical. I think i will jump into iOS12 - after the version 12.2 (in half a year).

    Stability (in case of using lots of very different apps) should be better in iOS11 (compared to iOS 10 or iOS9), even the file system should work a bit better. Some apps are faster with iOS 11 (mainly system apps). But, sorry, i would say that iOS 10 has a better latency, and i would guess, that the overall performance is a bit better (5 percent or such - not really important).

  • @bigcatrik said:
    The initial reports with 11 and older hardware (Air 1 and Mini 2) were conflicting, but recent reports have been fairly positive IIRC, but I still hold off...

    My Air 1/ iOS11 is experiencing synth apps crashing in both AUM and ApeMatrix..not sure if it's the HW/SW combo or ageing hardware.

  • edited July 10

    I have an Air1 and Mini2 that I upgraded to 11 at the same time. The mini2 was majorly messed up for a few hours after, to the point where I thought I made a major blunder. Couldn’t even type a sentence it was so screwed up. May have a had a minor freakout here on the forum. But just give it a few hours to sort itself out after the upgrade as it has some serious thinking to do for a while but it did settle down and now runs just as well as my Air1 which seemed OK right away.

  • edited July 10

    Mini2 is horribly sluggish on newest ios(i havent used any other than my air2 before tho). Bought my mom one recently and it was loaded with newest os. I googled it before buying and people on internet warned about it. Even apple has admitted some older devices slowing down on newer updates and they have promised to eliminate that on ios12. So yea i wouldnt update mini2 before ios12 and after people have reported that it doesent cripple the ipad anymore

  • My mini2 32GB performs just fine on iOS 11.3. I don’t have it filled with much, I have Cubasis2, GarageBand, several synths and quite a few AU EFX apps, but I’m careful not to overload it with several apps running at a time. I’ve not had any performance issues.

  • If you have an iconnect interface DO NOT update to iOS 11- their app that you need to futz with the midi and audio routing is broken, and they have given up on fixing it, until Auracle, their new version of the control software, comes out on iOS.

  • edited July 10

    I have an Air 1, so my perspective may be of some relevance for you.

    First, let me say: OS 11 is by far the buggiest release ever from Apple. They essentially broke the “Hey Siri” feature so that it can’t be used when the Smart Cover is closed. Siri is also much slower, harder of hearing, and inaccurate now.

    There is also a bug where some internal audio sounds, such as ring tones, get stuck when they stop (but ONLY when the charging cable is plugged in), and I have confirmed this with two different Air 1 iPads, so it’s not just my unit:

    See:

    Other little annoyances have crept in with recent 11.x.x updates. For example, landscape/portrait view often gets stuck. I turn the iPad to the side and it stays stuck in portrait. I have to put the iPad to sleep and then wake it to get it unstuck. This happens multiple times a day for me in Safari. There are other minor annoyances such as this that all started w/ iOS 11, but i can’t think of them all right now. (Typing in comment fields in Safari is often screwed up, esp. in Facebook; Embedded Youtube videos in Safari can no longer full screen, stuff like that...)

    However, none of these bugs are deal breakers for my audio work. I have had no problems with just about any major audio/synth app. (One exception: I can’t run the latest GarageBand w/ Alchemy, unfortunately, because the Air 1 doesn’t have enough memory. )

    One majorly useful feature for audio/MIDI users: iOS 11 brings with it IDAM! I would say the update is worth it for that feature alone. However, IDAM does have a gradual-latency-over-time problem that requires rebooting from time to time, after about an hour. Still, a ground-breaking advance for audio and MIDI on iOS which holds great promise, and hopefully the creeping latency problem will get addressed soon.

    Fortunately, most of the issues introduced by the iOS 11 update don’t really affect our needs as audio users. But the fact that so many very obvious bugs have gone unfixed by Apple in update after update does show that there is some major total incompetence going on with their programmers and priorities. My only guess is that these issues mainly affect users of older iPads like the Air 1, and maybe that's why they seem to never get fixed, even after ten 11.x.x updates so far.

    Nonetheless, for me there’s no turning back. Onward and upward… Fingers crossed that they fix Siri and these other issues w/ iOS 12.

  • For me

    My AIR 1 = avoid iOS 11
    My Air2 = iOS 11 (staying there)
    My new iPad 6 = iOS 11 (will upgrade)
    My iPhone 8+. = iOS 11 (will upgrade)

  • @Lady_App_titude said:
    I have an Air 1, so my perspective may be of some relevance for you.

    First, let me say: OS 11 is by far the buggiest release ever from Apple. They essentially broke the “Hey Siri” feature so that it can’t be used when the Smart Cover is closed. Siri is also much slower, harder of hearing, and inaccurate now.

    There is also a bug where some internal audio sounds, such as ring tones, get stuck when they stop (but ONLY when the charging cable is plugged in), and I have confirmed this with two different Air 1 iPads, so it’s not just my unit:

    See:

    Other little annoyances have crept in with recent 11.x.x updates. For example, landscape/portrait view often gets stuck. I turn the iPad to the side and it stays stuck in portrait. I have to put the iPad to sleep and then wake it to get it unstuck. This happens multiple times a day for me in Safari. There are other minor annoyances such as this that all started w/ iOS 11, but i can’t think of them all right now. (Typing in comment fields in Safari is often screwed up, esp. in Facebook; Embedded Youtube videos in Safari can no longer full screen, stuff like that...)

    However, none of these bugs are deal breakers for my audio work. I have had no problems with just about any major audio/synth app. (One exception: I can’t run the latest GarageBand w/ Alchemy, unfortunately, because the Air 1 doesn’t have enough memory. )

    One majorly useful feature for audio/MIDI users: iOS 11 brings with it IDAM! I would say the update is worth it for that feature alone. However, IDAM does have a gradual-latency-over-time problem that requires rebooting from time to time, after about an hour. Still, a ground-breaking advance for audio and MIDI on iOS which holds great promise, and hopefully the creeping latency problem will get addressed soon.

    Fortunately, most of the issues introduced by the iOS 11 update don’t really affect our needs as audio users. But the fact that so many very obvious bugs have gone unfixed by Apple in update after update does show that there is some major total incompetence going on with their programmers and priorities. My only guess is that these issues mainly affect users of older iPads like the Air 1, and maybe that's why they seem to never get fixed, even after ten 11.x.x updates so far.

    Nonetheless, for me there’s no turning back. Onward and upward… Fingers crossed that they fix Siri and these other issues w/ iOS 12.

    I knew Siri was growing old, and she hasn't yet stopped trying to ruin the whole family ;)

    As for the missing IDAM on iOS <11, isn't Studiomux a workable - errr - working alternative?

  • edited July 10

    @rs2000 said:

    As for the missing IDAM on iOS <11, isn't Studiomux a workable - errr - working alternative?

    Yes. If you already have Studiomux, it will do pretty much anything IDAM will do, but it's a different workflow/interface. IDAM is probably a little easier to get started with, esp. for certain DAWs.

    Both IDAM and Studiomux work for me w/ iOS 11. Both exhibit the creeping latency issue, but it takes longer for it to develop in Studiomux (may be 1.5-2 hours, vs. 1 hour). So I still prefer Studiomux over IDAM. But IDAM should work. It will be awesome, once they fix this one little problem.

  • @Lady_App_titude said:

    @rs2000 said:

    As for the missing IDAM on iOS <11, isn't Studiomux a workable - errr - working alternative?

    Yes. If you already have Studiomux, it will do pretty much anything IDAM will do, but it's a different workflow/interface. IDAM is probably a little easier to get started with, esp. for certain DAWs.

    Both IDAM and Studiomux work for me w/ iOS 11. Both exhibit the creeping latency issue, but it takes longer for it to develop in Studiomux (may be 1.5-2 hours, vs. 1 hour). So I still prefer Studiomux over IDAM. But IDAM should work. It will be awesome, once they fix this one little problem.

    Should

    Should

    Should

    Studiomux?

    ORLY?

    Gonna see.

    As soon as Ableton I start sending MIDI to/fro an iso device....inevitable break down occurs iDAM.

    If I just keep MIDI one direction usually more mORE M o Re MORE NOT ACTUALLY STABLE.

  • edited July 10

    @bigcatrik said:
    The initial reports with 11 and older hardware (Air 1 and Mini 2) were conflicting, but recent reports have been fairly positive IIRC, but I still hold off...

    I'm not using my iPads for any ongoing production so it would be a good time (and I definitely want to do it before 12 appears, if I do it) but there are those update horror stories about "one update too far."

    Am I being silly and it's now equivalent to the 9 to 10 upgrade for my hardware?

    Air 2 => performance is sluggish after upgrade to iOS 11. Cannot keep more than 2-3 apps open simultaneously. Typing is slow for typed chars to appear. Scrolling and refreshing screens is like a turtle's pace.

    iPhone 6s => performance sluggish after upgrade to iOS 11. Even Force Touch on icons is too slow to popup menus - making the feature a joke to incorporate into any app. I heard of Force Touch on iPhone 6s in GB for velocity? Haven't tried that because I know it would be horrible with iOS 11 on it.

    You are being wise by not upgrading to iOS 11 on older devices - they are not made to be upgraded forever. Older hardware cannot match newer software innovations.

  • @MobileMusic said:

    @bigcatrik said:
    The initial reports with 11 and older hardware (Air 1 and Mini 2) were conflicting, but recent reports have been fairly positive IIRC, but I still hold off...

    I'm not using my iPads for any ongoing production so it would be a good time (and I definitely want to do it before 12 appears, if I do it) but there are those update horror stories about "one update too far."

    Am I being silly and it's now equivalent to the 9 to 10 upgrade for my hardware?

    Air 2 => performance is sluggish after upgrade to iOS 11. Cannot keep more than 2-3 apps open simultaneously. Typing is slow for typed chars to appear. Scrolling and refreshing screens is like a turtle's pace.

    iPhone 6s => performance sluggish after upgrade to iOS 11. Even Force Touch on icons is too slow to popup menus - making the feature a joke to incorporate into any app. I heard of Force Touch on iPhone 6s in GB for velocity? Haven't tried that because I know it would be horrible with iOS 11 on it.

    You are being wise by not upgrading to iOS 11 on older devices - they are not made to be upgraded forever. Older devices cannot match newer software innovations.

    Air 2 is definitely a struggle with iOS 11

    But several apps I really wanted the iOS only access so deal with it.

    IF IF IF I could go back....I would.

    Many headaches for usage potential and CPU stuff.

  • Strange, my Air 2 performs really well on 11.x
    I barely notice any performance difference with when I bought it.

  • I'm on 10.3 and Sunrizer AU is not happening. Just tried.

    @1nsomniak said:
    Sunrizer AU works on 10.3 now btw.
    That sucks that rozetta requires 11, was just about to pick that up.

  • Great responses everyone! And I've come to a conclusion.

    There really is no compelling reason for me to upgrade. No app that won't work on 10, no feature in 11 I can't live without, etc. I kind of wanted the Files app, but it doesn't sound like it's the open file system I really want anyway.

    So it looks like I'll wait for 12 to see what's up. 12 is supposed to downplay new features for stability and still keep the hardware requirements of 11 so maybe it will be what we "old timers" are really waiting for.

  • @brambos said:
    Strange, my Air 2 performs really well on 11.x
    I barely notice any performance difference with when I bought it.

    My experience has been similar to yours.
    @MobileMusic which 2-3 apps cause your iPad Air 2 to struggle? I routinely use a lot more than that without any issues. It sounds like your system has some significant issues going on.

  • I would buy a iPad Mini 2+ with iOS 10 (at best 10.3.3) for a reasonable price.
    Just contact me by PM :)

  • @Crawlingwind said:
    I'm on 10.3 and Sunrizer AU is not happening. Just tried.

    I forgot that Im using the beta version, it should be released soon and work on 10.3
    Had 3 instances of it working in Aum on my old iPad 4.

  • @Processaurus said:
    If you have an iconnect interface DO NOT update to iOS 11- their app that you need to futz with the midi and audio routing is broken, and they have given up on fixing it, until Auracle, their new version of the control software, comes out on iOS.

    No issue for me with Air1/ iOS11.4 ~ icaudio-04, Firmware 2.0.0, HW Version 1.0

  • @MobileMusic said:

    Air 2 => performance is sluggish after upgrade to iOS 11. Cannot keep more than 2-3 apps open simultaneously. Typing is slow for typed chars to appear. Scrolling and refreshing screens is like a turtle's pace.

    Have you tried.... General | Accessibility | Reduce Motion: On

Sign In or Register to comment.