Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Excelvan BM-800 Condenser Microphone w/ Shock Mount $4.60

edited July 2018 in General App Discussion

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMKIR9Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=93f2177c813911e8bfce4267e803f3150INT&smid=A228X9FCLLPZ6D&psc=1

promo code: W47GUA6I makes it $4.60

1x Microphone
1x Shock Mount
1x Cable
1x Anti-wind foam cap
1x User Manual

It's a Condenser, so it Needs Phantom Power

Don't know how good this is, but the shock mount must be worth something... price is right.

Comments

• Lot's of goodness in that photo for $4.60. I bought one. I'm hoping I can use some of my cardioid mic's using that cable with the mini plug into my iPhone and iPad. I have a shock mount I've needed to replace for a long time. And $4.60 for a condenser mic? What's behind this promo? Who benefits?

I've been looking into gift horses mouths trying to figure out the "con" but you got me.

I'll let you know in a couple days... free shipping and no taxes added to the purchase.
    I turned down the 3 year warranty for $6.43. Should I buy a pair for stereo? How long does this deal last?

• Wow. Thanks for the heads up.

@McDtracy said:
    Should I buy a pair for stereo? How long does this deal last?

I’m curious about the length of the promo code too. Can’t buy it atm because I don’t remember my password on my phone! $25 is a little too much for me to spend on mics I don’t at all need.

Yeah, if $25 is too much it’s a sure sign that I don’t really need one at any price, but two for $10 seems impossible to pass up! I’m quite sure they’re shit compared to other mics I own (none of which are super amazing) but at $5, they might at least be perfect for sticking into my toilet to really get that bathroom sound. Or new dryer beats?

That said (re: presumed quality at $5) , they look quite a lot like some of the cheaper Marshall mics I’ve picked up in the past. Long enough ago that these might be largely the same but the price of parts and older, lesser used CnC molds and machines make this sort of obscene price possible. I dunno. The Marshall’s seemed like fine mics at 70-100 anyway. At $5, my only concern would be adding to the landfill when they die on the third use. :)

• I picked one up because at less than $5 I can't lose. I'll report back.

• It does phantom power through that tiny cable connector that looks to be a mini-jack on one end?

Who has phantom power like that?

I have a small Mackie mixer and the phantom power is through the Mic XLRs. That's how it is on the vast majority of audio gear I would imagine.

• I mean at $5 it’s hard to go wrong. What is the deal with the Promo? Also, I’ll take the silly cable because maybe I could plug my SM57 into something that needs XLR to 1/8” stereo...

• edited July 2018

Yeah, those cheap chinese condenser mics were a real breakthrough in home recording. I have fond memories of my old MXL V67g I bought in the early 2000s. It was the first decent vocal mic I had and sounded pretty good on agressive male vocals. Honestly better than the tube mic I replaced it with.

Pretty good deal. I ordered just for the accessories. Don’t really mind if it sounds like crap compared to my other mics.

• I ordered one based off of my luck with cheaper mics on Amazon in the past.

This mic by Pyle is an SM57 clone, I bought 2 a few years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Unidirectional-Microphone-Connection-PDMIC78/dp/B005BSOVRY

The comments were overflowing with praise and after a look online I learned that these Pyle Mic78’s are like Shure SM57’s except without a transformer. I knew a cat who intentionally removed the transformer from one of his 57’s that he top mic’d snare drum; it changes the frequency response and made the highs coming off his hihat sound less brittle.

So when I received the pair of Pyle mics I immediately did some A/B-ing with my old Shure SM57 and was blown away. I preferred the Pyle mics on some things (like snare and surprisingly acoustic guirar strums) and the Shure on others (Guitar amps).

If the BM-800 is just half as good as the Pyle mic I’m gonna very happy...thanks for the tip off @Reid

• @JRSIV said:
    I ordered one based off of my luck with cheaper mics on Amazon in the past.

This mic by Pyle is an SM57 clone, I bought 2 a few years ago:

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Unidirectional-Microphone-Connection-PDMIC78/dp/B005BSOVRY

The comments were overflowing with praise and after a look online I learned that these Pyle Mic78’s are like Shure SM57’s except without a transformer. I knew a cat who intentionally removed the transformer from one of his 57’s that he top mic’d snare drum; it changes the frequency response and made the highs coming off his hihat sound less brittle.

So when I received the pair of Pyle mics I immediately did some A/B-ing with my old Shure SM57 and was blown away. I preferred the Pyle mics on some things (like snare and surprisingly acoustic guirar strums) and the Shure on others (Guitar amps).

If the BM-800 is just half as good as the Pyle mic I’m gonna very happy...thanks for the tip off @Reid

I did the transformer mod to a 57 and it makes it into a totally different mic, in a very good way.

This mic is probably pretty awful, however I like the idea of using it just to get the xlr-1/8" cable, last time I bought one the cable itself was more than this.

• edited July 2018

I ordered 2, but only after seeing this :

Make sure you get to 1:39, where the female singers are using this mic, it's a very natural demo of what it can do....

When you lipsync an auto tuned vocal into the top of a side address mic... ;) :o

• I doubt it has any directionality at all it’ll exhibit Omni characteristics. Plus it’ll pick up people passing by on the road outside just as well as your own voice in front of it.

• My god, I hope the actual mic is better than the promo video.

• @u0421793 said:
    I doubt it has any directionality at all it’ll exhibit Omni characteristics. Plus it’ll pick up people passing by on the road outside just as well as your own voice in front of it.

We will see, I don't plan to use this extensively. If I use it at all, I was thinking they might be good as crowd mics on live recordings that l wouldn't be upset if something happened to them. Or I may just take the xlr to 1/8" for my kit of miscellaneous adapters and give the mic to a kid who is just starting and can't afford any equipment.

Anyway, the few real videos I saw of it seem to indicate that it is cardioid, but I guessing that this is not made to too high of a tolerance.

• @u0421793 said:
    I doubt it has any directionality at all it’ll exhibit Omni characteristics. Plus it’ll pick up people passing by on the road outside just as well as your own voice in front of it.

Omni's not the end of the world. Much easier to build a nice sounding omni than directional. If it's a real large diaphragm condenser it's place is in a studio on the other side of a pop shield. Certainly not hand held.

• It looks very like a Neewar NW-800 that I bought which was also very cheap, but honestly I have been impressed with its performance, although I would never claim to be an expert on mics.

• Since I bought it, I see that it also sells in a larger bundle with a pop filter and an adjustable stand. But you have to pay $18.99 for that!

• @pauly said:

@u0421793 said:

Omni's not the end of the world. Much easier to build a nice sounding omni than directional. If it's a real large diaphragm condenser it's place is in a studio on the other side of a pop shield. Certainly not hand held.

I reckon the polar pattern is unreliable but considering the diaphragm is floating there with sound hitting the back of it as well, it's probably fairly directional.

Ordered two. We shall see.

• @coolout said:
    Yeah, those cheap chinese condenser mics were a real breakthrough in home recording. I have fond memories of my old MXL V67g I bought in the early 2000s. It was the first decent vocal mic I had and sounded pretty good on agressive male vocals. Honestly better than the tube mic I replaced it with.

Pretty good deal. I ordered just for the accessories. Don’t really mind if it sounds like crap compared to my other mics.

The V67G is a great mic! One of those sleepers, for sure.

• Let's be honest - no one here has undue expectations for this thing. But c'mon - I've bought DRINKS more expensive and gotten less out of them.

This will be useful for SOMETHING, just need to figure out what.

• edited July 2018

A review with detailed info about the frequency response. Verdict: A good deal for $40!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=131&v=GX_nfjeOf9g

Even Andrew Huang was surprised for $21.99 Reasonably good, but no Shure or Neumann. Shocked!

• edited July 2018

@syrupcore said:

@coolout said:

The V67G is a great mic! One of those sleepers, for sure.

I mean, good enough for a Snoop prop, good enough for me. :)

• @CrazySynthMan said:
    It does phantom power through that tiny cable connector that looks to be a mini-jack on one end?

Who has phantom power like that?

I have a small Mackie mixer and the phantom power is through the Mic XLRs. That's how it is on the vast majority of audio gear I would imagine.

The notes and then a comment both say that it requires a phantom power adapter that isn't included so watch out for that.

• Thanks for posting the deal and discount code @reid. Even though I have other name brand mics, I picked this up because of the crazy low price and the reviews on YouTube that I searched for indicate it's pretty decent quality.

• Well, my $9.20 worth of mics showed up today!! Will not have a chance to try them for a few days, but I'm sure it will be glorious. I paid $30 for 2 similar shockmounts last week (for smaller mics)...but who knows, maybe i've finally found the best mic for accordion- that's when the phantom power is NOT required.... ;)

• Mine showed up today and looks great. Now I need to get a desk stand. It will be useful for my AKG too.

• @Reid said:
    Mine showed up today and looks great. Now I need to get a desk stand. It will be useful for my AKG too.

Depending on how much stand you want, you might have luck at your local used music shop if'n you have one. Trade Up Music in Portland seems to always have a few of these around for five bucks or so. No boom or anything but they work fine on the desk and for amps on the ground.

I do want me a nice clamp-on-the-desk stand I can just leave hooked up and move around as needed. Nice as in strong enough for heavy mics and easy to move into lots of positions. The ones I see are all priced for broadcast, not a nerd on an iPad.

• edited July 2018

@syrupcore said:

I do want me a nice clamp-on-the-desk stand I can just leave hooked up and move around as needed. Nice as in strong enough for heavy mics and easy to move into lots of positions. The ones I see are all priced for broadcast, not a nerd on an iPad.

The Rode desk clamp-on is about $100 new and is solid. If that's too much you could try the cheap Chinese ones that come in under $20.

• @syrupcore said:

@Reid said:
    Mine showed up today and looks great. Now I need to get a desk stand. It will be useful for my AKG too.

Depending on how much stand you want, you might have luck at your local used music shop if'n you have one. Trade Up Music in Portland seems to always have a few of these around for five bucks or so. No boom or anything but they work fine on the desk and for amps on the ground.

Which Trade Up Music? I went to the one on the east side a couple weeks ago but wasn’t looking at microphone stands. I actually need another stand and if just miking some Tabla on the floor I don’t really need a boom and $5 or so sounds good. I have one desk model and that’s it for microphone stands. I don’t use microphones that often, but my Tabla aren’t Audio/MIDI capable...

• @DMan said:

@syrupcore said:

@Reid said:

Which Trade Up Music? I went to the one on the east side a couple weeks ago but wasn’t looking at microphone stands. I actually need another stand and if just miking some Tabla on the floor I don’t really need a boom and $5 or so sounds good. I have one desk model and that’s it for microphone stands. I don’t use microphones that often, but my Tabla aren’t Audio/MIDI capable...

The one on NE Alberta is my usual haunt but I see them at the SE location too.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@syrupcore said:

The Rode desk clamp-on is about $100 new and is solid. If that's too much you could try the cheap Chinese ones that come in under $20.

That sounds reasonable. Will check it out. Thanks.

• edited July 2018

@syrupcore said:

@DMan said:

@syrupcore said:

@Reid said:

The one on NE Alberta is my usual haunt but I see them at the SE location too.

Okay, thanks! I think they are both just as far of a drive from me on paper. It’s all a matter of getting used to which way has worse traffic. I’ll guess both ways are just as bad. I’ll try NE Alberta next. That store gets better reviews anyway for whatever that is worth.