Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My vote for biggest iOS upcoming game changer is:

Comments

• @Philippe said:
    -AUv3 host that automatically resize and create layout of AUv3 windows.

-AUv3 host with a toolbar shortcut always visible to navigate between AUv3 windows.

I was thinking this too and totally agree. It is probably largely a graphics hardware GPU / memory / bus etc issue but will likely happen in time. With retina display and touch you could get some very valuable, flexibly organised birds eye views of complete projects and be able to instantly zoom in on any aspects.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    Also, your and my mind must've been on the same page, because I came up with that exact "record the MIDI output" solution and was going to post that as a "bandaid" solution. Rock on mate, :sunglasses:

B)

• @AudioGus said:

@Philippe said:

-AUv3 host with a toolbar shortcut always visible to navigate between AUv3 windows.

I was thinking this too and totally agree. It is probably largely a graphics hardware GPU / memory / bus etc issue but will likely happen in time. With retina display and touch you could get some very valuable, flexibly organised birds eye views of complete projects and be able to instantly zoom in on any aspects.

Or, why not a new generation of iPad with a dedicated touchbar just like the new Macbook Pros...?
    We could have a lot of common functionally there, including browsing app/windows/AUv3 etc etc...

• @Philippe said:

That's called AudioBus 3, right?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@Philippe said:

I think they are referring to the all the AU UIs being shrunk down and auto arranged. Not just icons you can scroll through.

• edited July 2018

Something like this...

But without all of the fiddely moving and resizing. Some intelligently designed ability to (auto)arrange that shows you project routing etc. Like how graphics programs like Substance Painter on desktop work...

Being able to display either a shrunk AU or the icon. Maybe fully zoomed out it is the icon but you zoom in and the AU itself apears?

This would not necessarily be the default view in my mind (and I am sure it horrifies some people to see this) but it is rather a quick birds eye, behind the scenes view, like how you can jump to a mixer. Being able to double tap an icon and instantly be tweaking an FX param and then instantly be able to zoom back out without having to rearrange and clean up the view etc...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@AudioGus said:

@Philippe said:

Or, why not a new generation of iPad with a dedicated touchbar just like the new Macbook Pros...?
    We could have a lot of common functionally there, including browsing app/windows/AUv3 etc etc...

I have not used the touchbar so can't really say but I am fine with tapping on glass. Speeding up navigation through the various components of a track is what I look forward to.

• @AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Philippe said:

I think they are referring to the all the AU UIs being shrunk down and auto arranged. Not just icons you can scroll through.

Oh, I see. I'd still put money on AB solving this first, given the architecture of the top toolbar. Arranging AU windows intelligently seems like the sort of thing that @Michael could figure out (maybe for AB4?).

• edited July 2018

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Philippe said:

Oh, I see. I'd still put money on AB solving this first, given the architecture of the top toolbar. Arranging AU windows intelligently seems like the sort of thing that @Michael could figure out (maybe for AB4?).

That is good for live jamy stuff etc, but I am a linear timeline guy and just would like a project wide view in BM3 or Cubasis of all the interconnected under the hood bits. Ultimately I think it would be on a whole new app for me to benefit.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@AudioGus said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@Philippe said:

That is good for live jamy stuff etc, but I am a linear timeline guy and just would like a project wide view in BM3 or Cubasis of all the interconnected under the hood bits. Ultimately I think it would be on a whole new app for me to benefit.

Yeah it'd have to be a DAW ish solution to go timeline oriented.

• @Telefunky said:
    Every mixer channel should have a polarity flip, which is indispensible for checking accuracy of time alignement (usually by 'phasing out') one of 2 channels - and a sample delay for adjustment.

Auria has it, but I’ve never used TBH. Auria also has a Sat function in the channel strip but, to my ears, it seems to do nothing.

• @supadom said:

@Proto said:
    Samplr Pro (AU).

Realistically 1 : 100000000 chance

Hehehe!!! :wink:

• Seriously, there are some things that one could eliminate from the "Game Changer" list to make it easier to guess. For example, even though I use the iPhone exclusively, and love when something new comes to the iPhone, I seriously doubt that the new "Game Changer" will be an iPhone exclusive product. That's one thing we can remove from the likelihood list. It would likely be for the iOS Musician masses rather than the outliers like myself--unless the developer created something iOS Universal.

Second, to be a game changer, it's got to be something so completely different that it would change our paradigm and the way we can do things. I doubt bog standard effects will do this. We have lots and lots of reverbs and delays, choruses and compressors.

When I think "Game Changers", I think of situations in the past that changed the "game". Most of these game changers included new and adaptable technology. Think how things have evolved: Audiocopy and built in recorders > AudioBus. Suddenly everything can talk audio to each other. Then Audionic midi tools > Ableton Live Sync. IAA to AU. etc. etc. The old technologies haven't gone away, and yet the new technologies have somehow pushed the boundaries of what we as mobile musicians can do. This is what my idea of "Game Changer" is.

So, what will expand the boundaries of what a mobile musician can do? What won't?

I seriously doubt that a DAW would be a game changer. There are DAWs for both iPhones and iPads. That doesn't change our way of doing things or expand our boundaries. Now, a DAW for iPhone that is so good that it makes everyone drop the iPad and move to iPhone WOULD be a game changer, but as I mentioned above, there is about zero chance of that happening.

Another consideration, is by whose definition do we go by for the term "Game Changer". Although I have my own definition, it was @thesoundtestroom who made the comment that there is a game changing app coming up. We have to go by what he would likely call a game changer. What has he called a game changer in the past?

Lots of things to think about. Honestly, I can't imagine too many "game changers" (by my own definition) that wouldn't involve a new paradigm or completely new way of working (Loopy Pro?), a new technology (Ableton? Cubasis?), or something so incredibly good that it causes everyone to drop their current ways of doing things and change to the new way. Gadget was a game changer for iOS. Auria and Cubasis were too. Will it be Reason? Maybe, but it had better be astoundingly good to be a game changer.

• edited July 2018

I had thought about a game changer in regards to Gadget. AU support? Would everyone suddenly run to Gadget and drop ... say, Cubasis? I dunno. But Gadget it seems to be in need of some really cool enthusiasm injection.

Someone like Propellerheads jumping full in, I think would create big enthusiasm. This might make alot of sense - the whole vibe of Reason is to be easy to use, light on resources, and fun! Alot of folk have been speculating about what's next for them ... but, jump full in to sell a DAW for (wild guess) 39.99 and then the associated ports of their synths for (wild guess) 9.99 each? Seems like slim margins and tough business for a major player. But, maybe the enthusiasm would be ios to pc daw and back again. Literally take your favorite DAW (being Reason in this case) with you with no worries about compatibility.

Then again, I don't know much of anything.

• edited July 2018

@Audiojunkie said:
    Seriously, there are some things that one could eliminate from the "Game Changer" list to make it easier to guess. For example, even though I use the iPhone exclusively, and love when something new comes to the iPhone, I seriously doubt that the new "Game Changer" will be an iPhone exclusive product. That's one thing we can remove from the likelihood list. It would likely be for the iOS Musician masses rather than the outliers like myself--unless the developer created something iOS Universal.

Second, to be a game changer, it's got to be something so completely different that it would change our paradigm and the way we can do things. I doubt bog standard effects will do this. We have lots and lots of reverbs and delays, choruses and compressors.

When I think "Game Changers", I think of situations in the past that changed the "game". Most of these game changers included new and adaptable technology. Think how things have evolved: Audiocopy and built in recorders > AudioBus. Suddenly everything can talk audio to each other. Then Audionic midi tools > Ableton Live Sync. IAA to AU. etc. etc. The old technologies haven't gone away, and yet the new technologies have somehow pushed the boundaries of what we as mobile musicians can do. This is what my idea of "Game Changer" is.

So, what will expand the boundaries of what a mobile musician can do? What won't?

I seriously doubt that a DAW would be a game changer. There are DAWs for both iPhones and iPads. That doesn't change our way of doing things or expand our boundaries. Now, a DAW for iPhone that is so good that it makes everyone drop the iPad and move to iPhone WOULD be a game changer, but as I mentioned above, there is about zero chance of that happening.

Another consideration, is by whose definition do we go by for the term "Game Changer". Although I have my own definition, it was @thesoundtestroom who made the comment that there is a game changing app coming up. We have to go by what he would likely call a game changer. What has he called a game changer in the past?

Lots of things to think about. Honestly, I can't imagine too many "game changers" (by my own definition) that wouldn't involve a new paradigm or completely new way of working (Loopy Pro?), a new technology (Ableton? Cubasis?), or something so incredibly good that it causes everyone to drop their current ways of doing things and change to the new way. Gadget was a game changer for iOS. Auria and Cubasis were too. Will it be Reason? Maybe, but it had better be astoundingly good to be a game changer.

Well delineated. So IOS game changers so far:

Audiobus (for audio connectivity)
    Samplr (just had to put it there)
    Audioshare (for audio file storage)
    Cubasis/Auria (not sure which DAW was the first proper to break out)
    IAA, then Ableton Link (for sync)
    Gadget (for sheer power under one roof previously unheard of on IOS unless one considers GB)
    KRFT (almost got there but they really did try)

...and of course AU!

Well, whatever it is it better be good ;)

• @supadom said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    Seriously, there are some things that one could eliminate from the "Game Changer" list to make it easier to guess. For example, even though I use the iPhone exclusively, and love when something new comes to the iPhone, I seriously doubt that the new "Game Changer" will be an iPhone exclusive product. That's one thing we can remove from the likelihood list. It would likely be for the iOS Musician masses rather than the outliers like myself--unless the developer created something iOS Universal.

Gadget (for sheer power under one roof previously unheard of on IOS unless one considers GB)

Interesting that you don’t think AUv3 was one of the iOS game changers ;)

• @kinkujin said:

>

Someone like Propellerheads jumping full in, I think would create big enthusiasm. This might make alot of sense - the whole vibe of Reason is to be easy to use, light on resources, and fun! Alot of folk have been speculating about what's next for them ... but, jump full in to sell a DAW for (wild guess) 39.99 and then the associated ports of their synths for (wild guess) 9.99 each? Seems like slim margins and tough business for a major player. But, maybe the enthusiasm would be ios to pc daw and back again. Literally take your favorite DAW (being Reason in this case) with you with no worries about compatibility.

That would be very cool. Unfortunately, I just can’t see anything near as like a full version of Reason coming to iOS. Propellerheads are clearly working on something, but I don’t think it’s going to be a true game changer.

• edited July 2018

@theconnactic yes, though the polarity invert button would be better placed at the top level of the mixer.
    You rarely need that function on it's own (except for some microphone techniques), but it's a simple and precise way to measure true channel offset with multiple layered signals, in particular when routing in a umixed environement of hardware and software.
    In any case it needs the single sample delay to become useful.

Such checks are not necessary with each and every signal, but monitoring can be severely influenced. You mix according to your speakers/cans, but in the end the mixdown doesn't sound like intended.

It's a peanut function, with close to zero processing load - yet I'd consider it a (literal) gamechanger because it would introduce an element that's considered standard in professional digital audio for ages into IOS'es 'all toys are us' o:)

• AUM was a game changer for me too.

• @Beathoven said:

@supadom said:

@Audiojunkie said:

Interesting that you don’t think AUv3 was one of the iOS game changers ;)

I clearly do, don't know how I've missed it!

• AUv3 windows could be all opened into one wide scrollable UI like so many synth AUv3 do it already.

• @Munibeast said:
    AUM was a game changer for me too.

AUM is the best man.

• @LuisMartinez said:

@Arpseechord said:

@LuisMartinez said:
    iBassist

When is it coming out? I’m in need of some bass for songs :)

It's ready. After Drum Apps are updated to handle bass lines. End of the week

Erm. Drum apps updated. I'm ready :)

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    I know what I think it will be but I can’t say because I'm under a horrifically tight NDA, seriously

I hope it’s not the Stockholm gadget as I stopped using Gadget over a year ago and the new Gadget isn’t enough to lure me back in. I hope Korg and reason adopt AU at some point.

• @InfoCheck said:

@thesoundtestroom said:
    I know what I think it will be but I can’t say because I'm under a horrifically tight NDA, seriously

I hope it’s not the Stockholm gadget

This. That would not live up to the hype :)

I hope Korg and reason adopt AU at some point.

THAT would be a game changer for sure.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LuisMartinez said:

@Arpseechord said:

@LuisMartinez said:
    iBassist

Not quite, I've not had an update for Funk Drummer yet :|

• @AndyPlankton said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LuisMartinez said:

@Arpseechord said:

@LuisMartinez said:
    iBassist

Not quite, I've not had an update for Funk Drummer yet :|

Future Drummer is ready......😇

• I don't know but I hope it's NOT 'recycling' old stuff and creating more 'non AUv3' Gadgets for iOS...

On a side-note is Korg running out of ideas for Gadget??
    (The sequencer is still lacking and new closed 'recycled' Gadgets is definitely a BIG WTF).

• The only way I’m buying anything Gadget again is if it opens up with AU and gets coded to not run like a baked potato. Reason doesn’t excite me either, quit using it 15 years ago and it just seems like another Gadget.

Logic with Samplr baked into it would be game changing. Max environment linked to Ableton on desktop would be huge.