Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My vote for biggest iOS upcoming game changer is:

Comments

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    But (some OT), if I had to choose between Reason Mobile DAW and some rain here in Sweden, I choose RAIN!

It’s a fuckin’ disaster just now here, from north to south, with farmers going out of water and food for all animals...
    Almost no rain in ten weeks with high temperatures and sunny as hell...

In a country that use to have two month summer and the rest cold as hell...

Ack. Sorry to hear that. No rain is super scary here as it is soon followed by fires/smoke. Rainy summer. Fine by me.

• @AudioGus said:

@sinextesia said:
    The upcoming BM3 3.1 version for me (date?). Hopefully they will improve the keyboard (scale mode) and introduce some workflow improvements in song mode (freeze pattern to audio..).
    Such a long time without having news from Intua, hopefully they are working in version 3.1 and not in a desktop version...

Sigh... I do love BM3, such a shame though that the automation bugs were not buttoned up yet. I find as time goes on without the mythic update to fix them that I just can’t rave about it and try and bring people into the fold like I used to. It sounds like those issues were fixed ages ago but have yet to see the light of day. I swear if it comes out and is as solid as some beta testers attest I will be a ranting crazy person endorsing it again.

Yes I wonder why they didn’t release an interim maintenance update before the fabled 3.1 with at least fixed automation. As non working automation is not a good look for a daw.

• edited July 2018

Personally I think the golden age is over and from now on it will just become more and more like desktop. Thanks AU. All those cool apps you love that make use of the touch screen and have unique interfaces? Better back those up on a dedicated iPad cause I don’t think people are gonna be making shit like that anymore, with some rare exceptions, Spacecraft Granular looks dope. Because you can’t have super cool interfaces jammed inside a little AU window, so bye bye super cool interfaces for the most part. If TC-11 was released today you’d have people whining that it’s not AU, which would be absurd. All the upcoming daws are sure to be even closer to a full blown, desktop daw, with all the multiple pages and menu diving your brain can handle. And I bet the touch screen keyboards in them don’t even have y axis mapped to velocity. Freaking static note volumes unless you wanna hook up your midi controller made by the same company. Look DEVELOPERS I’m HAPPY to PAY MORE MONEY but I want touch screen optimized, touch screen conceived ideas, and more folks with the balls to get rid of skeuomorphic bullshit in their apps. Like I’m ok if filter cutoff and resonance is just one xy pad instead of two beautifully rendered vintage looking knobs, know what I’m saying?

• The game is always changing on iOS usually for the better. The biggest changer will likely be one that comes sooner than later. NanoStudio 2, Audulus 4, etc who knows how long these will take before release. Sometimes I worry the biggest game changer for me will be something like removing the headphone port. They already did it on phones and I don’t want any more iPhones. If they remove it from iPad, I may just keep the iPads I have and play my “old school” game until the devices finally break. The apps I bought will fade away and I’ll have to look for a new solution, unless they redeem themselves in some fantastic way that I can overlook the lack of analog 3.5 mm jack.

• edited July 2018

@universe said:

@AudioGus said:

@sinextesia said:
    The upcoming BM3 3.1 version for me (date?). Hopefully they will improve the keyboard (scale mode) and introduce some workflow improvements in song mode (freeze pattern to audio..).
    Such a long time without having news from Intua, hopefully they are working in version 3.1 and not in a desktop version...

Sigh... I do love BM3, such a shame though that the automation bugs were not buttoned up yet. I find as time goes on without the mythic update to fix them that I just can’t rave about it and try and bring people into the fold like I used to. It sounds like those issues were fixed ages ago but have yet to see the light of day. I swear if it comes out and is as solid as some beta testers attest I will be a ranting crazy person endorsing it again.

Yes I wonder why they didn’t release an interim maintenance update before the fabled 3.1 with at least fixed automation. As non working automation is not a good look for a daw.

I can get some use out of the automation now but it is more of a novelty and is frustrating while working to hit those parameters that simply don’t respond or when the value ranges get messed up etc. Something tells me that the automation system is fundamentaly wired into midi/macros which is likely getting a performance overhaul so an interim update may have been wasted long term effort... at least that is what I tell myself... ;)

• edited July 2018

@db909 said:
    Because you can’t have super cool interfaces jammed inside a little AU window

What little AU window? It can be as big as we like.

All the upcoming daws are sure to be even closer to a full blown, desktop daw, with all the multiple pages and menu diving your brain can handle.

ApeMatrix proves you wrong already ;)

iOS is really getting into its own. It is arguably moving away from desktop rather than transforming into it as far as I can tell.

• It would be nice to see this collection in iOS: https://www.applied-acoustics.com/modeling-collection/

They kind of dipped their toe in with the stripped down Objeq app so I hope they found the water warm and inviting.

• @brambos said:
    Ah yes, the iOS scene and its obsession with stuff that isn't out yet :D

Sure, it’s easy to laugh when you already know what the next iOS game changer will be. And I know you know what it is, since you thought of it and are working on it now, in secret. :)
    Whatever the next iOS game changer ends up being, I predict @brambos will be involved. B)

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    But (some OT), if I had to choose between Reason Mobile DAW and some rain here in Sweden, I choose RAIN!

It’s a fuckin’ disaster just now here, from north to south, with farmers going out of water and food for all animals...
    Almost no rain in ten weeks with high temperatures and sunny as hell...

In a country that use to have two month summer and the rest cold as hell...

Nearly as bad here, never seen the fields so brown - Wales is meant to be damp and green!

• That bit about “little AU windows”. I actually prefer small windows for FX, so I can have a few open and on screen at the same time. But for touch-centric interfaces, full screen is way better.

• @db909 said:
    Personally I think the golden age is over and from now on it will just become more and more like desktop. Thanks AU. All those cool apps you love that make use of the touch screen and have unique interfaces? Better back those up on a dedicated iPad cause I don’t think people are gonna be making shit like that anymore, with some rare exceptions, Spacecraft Granular looks dope. Because you can’t have super cool interfaces jammed inside a little AU window, so bye bye super cool interfaces for the most part. If TC-11 was released today you’d have people whining that it’s not AU, which would be absurd. All the upcoming daws are sure to be even closer to a full blown, desktop daw, with all the multiple pages and menu diving your brain can handle. And I bet the touch screen keyboards in them don’t even have y axis mapped to velocity. Freaking static note volumes unless you wanna hook up your midi controller made by the same company. Look DEVELOPERS I’m HAPPY to PAY MORE MONEY but I want touch screen optimized, touch screen conceived ideas, and more folks with the balls to get rid of skeuomorphic bullshit in their apps. Like I’m ok if filter cutoff and resonance is just one xy pad instead of two beautifully rendered vintage looking knobs, know what I’m saying?

I agree...at least on most parts. I think full screen AU´s are possible but it´s all a bit not nice and easy to use for me and nearly all iOS DAW´s sucks for me personally and the only one i liked isn´t available for iOS 11.
    Strange is that the best apps are mostly the oldest ones before all that fancy "try to replicate a desktop/notebook workflow". But it seems most users are happy with non touch optimized apps on a multi-touch device.
    I am not but i´m just an old greedy bastard >:)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2018

@brambos said:

@db909 said:

All the upcoming daws are sure to be even closer to a full blown, desktop daw, with all the multiple pages and menu diving your brain can handle.

iOS is really getting into its own. It is arguably moving away from desktop rather than transforming into it as far as I can tell.

Yes, I do not see ‘full blown’ desktop daws coming to iOS but I wager in about five to ten years more modular environments where you can pick and choose and arrange components to your liking will be a pretty popular thing.

Like a lot of people while I have got a ton out of my desktop daw I figure that I use maybe 5-10% of it. If I could take it and arrange the components I want on a mobile device in a KRFT like way that would be ideal, including an actual timeline editor for audio with visible waveforms and not just realtime loop jamming.

• edited July 2018

@thesoundtestroom said:
    I know what I think it will be but I can’t say because I'm under a horrifically tight NDA, seriously

It had better be Ableton for iOS or AUM II or GADGET v4 with AUv3 and IAA hosting ...

... or its just a semi-flatulent damp-squib and you're doing the iOS equivalent of a prick-tease my friend.

;)

• I'd settle for a new version of Cubasis that has a SESSION page/ableton style mode.

About high time Sternberg entered the terrain of Ableton and pattern-type composition

• @david_2017 said:
    Who makes NDAs? Only bigger company’s. So Propellerhead could be a possible candidate :)
    Interesting though... I like the gamechanger term

Oooh Reason would be cool. but only if Reason has a SESSION page.

I only wish BM3 wasn't such an awkward app to use for non MPC-type dudes like me - since it has a SESSION type mode. But just can't get on with BM3

• @Telstar5 said:
    (Hopefully)
    AUV3 for Sampletank.. It’s not exactly cheap if you fully load it up w iap’s but if you have a 4 gig iPad Pro , it’s one additional step towards desk -top land .

I'd love to see that. It would become such a useful work-horse.

Of course if KORG MODULE went AUv3 that would be cool too.

• But - for me...... only an iOS version of Ableton - would really cut it for a "game changer" moniker.

• @nonchai said:
    But - for me...... only an iOS version of Ableton - would really cut it for a "game changer" moniker.

Maybe in November. Let’s see.

• edited July 2018

@Dawdles said:

@AudioGus said:

@brambos said:

@db909 said:

Yes, I do not see ‘full blown’ desktop daws coming to iOS but I wager in about five to ten years more modular environments where you can pick and choose and arrange components to your liking will be a pretty popular thing.

Like a lot of people while I have got a ton out of my desktop daw I figure that I use maybe 5-10% of it. If I could take it and arrange the components I want on a mobile device in a KRFT like way that would be ideal, including an actual timeline editor for audio with visible waveforms and not just realtime loop jamming.

Isn't it easier and smoother overall workflow to just not use/ignore the parts of something like Ableton/Bitwig + plugins that you don't need, than to build something less unified as a whole using the parts that you do? Especially on a small screen and no keyboard shortcuts etc. Genuine question, not trying to be argumentative :)

I tend to think the opposite and that because of the small screen and lack of shortcuts on mobile I want less clutter and to only see what I want for the given task. Also, I am not talking about a tool that takes something from 0-100% but rather 0-30% or even 80-100%. Other tools would always still be used in my workflow.

• @Dawdles said:

@AudioGus said:

@brambos said:

@db909 said:

Isn't it easier and smoother overall workflow to just not use/ignore the parts of something like Ableton/Bitwig + plugins that you don't need, than to build something less unified as a whole using the parts that you do? Especially on a small screen and no keyboard shortcuts etc. Genuine question, not trying to be argumentative :)

Also, I have not used Ableton/Bitwig on mobile so maybe they are what I would want? To bail on iOS for a windows tablet though... I would have to try it hands on for a while first.

• edited July 2018

I guess ‘gamechanger’ could mean something completely new and developed for iOS touch / mobility / AR (using the camera etc.), or it could mean something very established in the desktop world that comes to iOS and significantly increases the amount of people making music on iOS.

I hope we see both! Will make for a healthy platform.

• edited July 2018

@Dawdles said:

@AudioGus said:

@Dawdles said:

@AudioGus said:

@brambos said:

@db909 said:

I tend to think the opposite and that because of the small screen and lack of shortcuts on mobile I want less clutter and to only see what I want for the given task. Also, I am not talking about a tool that takes something from 0-100% but rather 0-30% or even 80-100%. Other tools would always still be used in my workflow.

Think I’m struggling to envisage your end setup. The ‘modular’ side of iOS already drives me crazy :) Too much scrolling and view switching for my lack of patience to deal with ;) Really subjective aspect of production though, everyone’s doing different stuff and has different tolerance levels. I heard the bm3 update refines au workflow a lot, so that’ll probably do for me in regards to a useable host environment etc.

Yah I am not a big fan of the incessant, high frequency scrolling / view switching either. I like to approach things in longer stages and phases and not constant screen diving etc. What I imagine is...

Here is a premade customized screen, I stay on this screen for an hour or two. Leave screen. Here is another premade customized screen. I stay on this screen for an hour or two. Leave screen and finally, (the slightly more painful part) here are two more premade customized screens I need to jump between for an hour or two. The End, post song, get two likes. Start over. :)

• abelton for ios would be perfect. Cubasis for iphone, or any other daw for iphone that has a smooth workflow. intrigued

• edited July 2018

@Dawdles said:

@AudioGus said:

@Dawdles said:

@AudioGus said:

@brambos said:

@db909 said:

Also, I have not used Ableton/Bitwig on mobile so maybe they are what I would want? To bail on iOS for a windows tablet though... I would have to try it hands on for a while first.

If there was a 9.7” surface pro and more 3rd party windows software built for Touch I’d probably use surface a lot more for portable music and gradually move away from iOS. But the way things are currently I struggle to enjoy using my Pro 3 for music overall. Dunno if it’s just a psychological thing though tbh?

It’s probably about even with iOS overall, better for practical stuff (daws, file management etc) but loses hard for the immediate fun factor that 3rd party devs have flung at iOS in abundance, in my limited experience using surface for audio stuff.

I very briefly tried bitwig but don’t think I got far enough past the configuration for mobile phase. it almost seemed as if it is best to learn it on desktop and then migrate it to mobile and see how you want to use it there. Visual design wise it just felt very desktop to me with a lot of things being too small and clunky, but again I did not have enough time to really fairly judge it.

• edited July 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.