Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My first track ever! Every advice welcome

Hi, I just wanted to share my first ever track that I made on iPad (and in my life too).
I'll be grateful for ANY advice and what you honestly think about it, beacuse it's hard for me to judge my own song, especially as I'm a complete beginner with no music experience. It's my idea for soundtrack for La La Land movie, so if you watched I feel like it will be also easier to judge :mrgreen: It's done only with GarageBand, iSymphonic and Audiobus as I'm still trying to complete my fav music apps. Thanks in advance for EVERY single feedback! :smiley:

Also, I feel like it sounds a little bit better on SoundCloud, idk why, but here's link

Comments

• I would say it´s a 100 times better than my first track. I´m no expert for this genre but i would say mission is complete. It really has that LaLa Land groove and feel and as an unbiased listener i could not say if it was made from a beginner or pro composer. Maybe first time i heard this style made from iOS apps.
    So i would say you are at something and i hope you will have fun to continue.
    The mix could be a bit better but that might be compression and/or missing tools.
    So far it´s good :)

• I swear, some people are just so, so talented. It really is not fair. :)

I was listening to this, and those jumpin’ drums kicked in, and I was like “Ahhh yeah!”
    No one else is home right now, so I took this opportunity to dance around like a mad idiot to your track. Good times! B)

• Yes, real talent. keep going!

• You kept my attention the whole way through. I’d call that a win!

• Its not only working in a cafe. I am right now in the „iPhone lounge“ waiting for my wife getting out of the fitting room. Hundreds of woman running to and fro... great soundtrack for this scene :) cool track!

• I would say in terms of intention, it is just perfect. Everything is there! Is it really your first track? If so, it is just amazing. Just keep on creating, you're on the right track.
    Your problems are technical. There might be a bit too much dynamic contrast, especially inside the drums tracks. Maybe you should work on compression in order not to make the listener's ear not too tired because of the volume bumps. Anyway I Am not an expert, but that is my feeling.

• Thanks for all the opinions guys! It really means a lot for me :)

So I'll try to work more on mixing next time. Are GarageBand options enough to make quite good mix or I must download some third-party apps? I honestly know nothing about mixing/mastering, so I guess I have to learn some theory first.
    Also, I was thinking about moving to Cubasis since it's on sale, but when I bought it today, I noticed that not all IAA that worked with GB are working in Cubasis (for example Keynality). And also it crashes with AudioKit Synth One and few other apps that I've just downloaded, so I'm really dissapointed because of that... hope that it's a temporary issue and will be fixed soon :)

@JanKun yes, it's my first track :) and now when you mentioned that dynamic contrast I can hear it too, so thanks for that comment!

• @asia Keynality works in Cubasis, just maybe not how you expected. First, launch Keynality as Stand alone first. You can only load it into Cubasis on an Audio Track. It is only an IAA generator, not an IAA instrument. But you can go into Keynality and adjust the Midi settings to send Midi into Cubasis. In Cubasis, you load a Midi Track, assign whatever instrument you want to use, and set it to receive from Virtual Midi. Now when you play in Keynality, it will play the Cubasis Midi Track instrument

1. Press config
    2. Press cogwheel
    3. Select Cubasis
    4. Use Midi channels to send just the chords or melody Midi to specific instruments. I have channels set to ”all” in Cubasis so both will play my instrument.

If you have trouble getting this going, feel free to ask any questions.

• @CracklePot oh my god, thanks a lot! I would never figure that out by myself, now it works perfectly :)

• @asia Experimental Jazz as your first track should be a tip off that you're moving in the right direction not only technically (production, etc) but artistically. Other cats early in their recording adventure would totally be forgiven for sticking to a four on the floor EDM jam but this is really adventurous and quite good.

Awesome, keep doing you brother.

• I got similar advice on my first effort:

"Fix the balance."
    "Watch the volume... leave headroom for the mixdown."
    Ya-da...

Go make another piece. This one is perfect. Nits can pick but make more art.
    You will acquire more technical mastering skills with every piece.

• @asia said:
    @CracklePot oh my god, thanks a lot! I would never figure that out by myself, now it works perfectly :)

No problem, glad I could help. :)
    Looking forward to hearing more tracks from you!

• So... Are the drums a GarabeBank Kit you played with a MIDI controller or some Drum Loops in the GarageBand product? I PM'ed the creator directly but if anyone knows I'd take the clue. I'm gonna go poke around in GarageBand for IOS. Something I haven't done in "forever" and look at the acoustic sounding drum options.

• @McDtracy said:
    So... Are the drums a GarabeBank Kit you played with a MIDI controller or some Drum Loops in the GarageBand product? I PM'ed the creator directly but if anyone knows I'd take the clue. I'm gonna go poke around in GarageBand for IOS. Something I haven't done in "forever" and look at the acoustic sounding drum options.

The smart drummers are actually pretty good in Garageband. They just play automatically for you but only in 3 time signatures. They sound good though, you can adjust some things about the way they play but they do kind of do their own thing. I think they react to the song, or maybe that was me that changed it for each bar. It’s been a while.

• I looked into Garageband and didn't find any loops... just the smart drummers and non of them cover the ride cymbal jazz style so I think this track was hand crafted using a drum kit. We'll see.

• @McDtracy said:
    I looked into Garageband and didn't find any loops... just the smart drummers and non of them cover the ride cymbal jazz style so I think this track was hand crafted using a drum kit. We'll see.

Look for the bebop drum loops in apple loops. Maybe it was started with this and then played over with another kit or maybe there are more loops as I only found Bebop drums 8-10 plus bebop fill. I just clicked Jazz category and it came up right away. I’m not seeing any playable Jazz kits in Garageband though, I thought there was one a few updates ago. I played drums in school jazz band for a few years, but I’d have to do a couple tracks to get the pedal work in etc. on the touch screen and the rock kick drum is too heavy. I swear there was a soft beater jazz set...

@asia my advise is keep it up, do what you want, find your way (I’m still finding mine) and don’t become addicted to buying apps.

• I don’t really know what advice can I give, @asia! I really enjoyed your song as it is now.