Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI Morphosis and IFretless not working?

edited November 2013 in General App Discussion

Hi all,

Anybody using this setup with success? Midimorphosis works fine with synths such as sunrizer but when I try to use it with Ifretless (reason I bought it), it's a no go. I try switching on/off core audio on mm and switch to and from channel 1 to omni on Ifretless but nada.

Thnx in advance

Comments

• Is iFretless working for you if controlled by any other app? Have you tried it with MidiBridge?

• Worked fine with midi guitar...

• Version 1.9 of MIDImorphosis has a CoreMIDI bug -- it's been fixed, and version 2.0 is waiting for review with Apple (went in on the 24th, should pop out in a couple of days).

I was hacking on the code for the OSX version of Apollo, and in getting that running, wound up breaking the iOS CoreMIDI (my MIDI routines are now cross-platform).

Sorry for the glitch -- I had done an update of MM to fix an iOS 5 bug, and to update the Audiobus SDK, and that wound up pulling in the CoreMIDI bug. We spotted the bug a day or two after the 1.9 release, and turned around the fix as quickly as we could.

• Aaaand. Version 2.0 of MIDImorphosis just released. Updated to the current Audiobus library, fixes the CoreMIDI issue.

And in case anyone didn't notice, we've got the app on sale through Cyber Monday. And of course Apollo is available too.

• The update showed up today. Haven't tried it yet though.

• @Secretbasedesign - thanks for the heads up. Finally had a chance to test it out today and it does the ifretless bass samples. Only problem is it's very choppy. Not sure if you have a recommended setting for this specific setup. For example, I'll play a D note (10th fret on top string) and it will play the corresponding D bass sample but evert now and then it will play a D an octave higher, in a hiccupy sorta way. Almost like if you sampled one of Primus' Les Claypools riffs which is cool if you want that slapping sound but I'm just looking for a steady flow on top string. Also the delay is noticeable so as mentioned above, if there is a specific setting i should set up with these two apps. Thanks in advance!

• @gjcyrus -- if it's going an octave above, any chance you're hitting a harmonic? For guitar string, there are bunches of harmonics that show up in the spectrum. There's the root frequency, one at 1.5X (actually 3/2), the octave at 2X, and so on. The pitch detection looks for a set of harmonic peaks to get better accuracy -- but if you're hitting a harmonic strongly, the root peak might get missed. It may also be caused by how low you're pushing the latency setting -- higher octave harmonics show up in the spectrum first -- if you look at the FFT of a guitar string that was plucked with A=440, there will be a big peak for 880 before the peak at 440 shows up.

You might get better results if you played an open D on the 3rd string; up on the 10th fret, top string, you're towards the top end of normal guitar frequency range, not in the "sweet spot."

Also -- are you using active pickups? They can alter the harmonic balance of the guitar (compared to passive pickups), and I'm wondering if that's causing some grief.

You can adjust the effective latency by also adjusting the tracking rate -- top left slider. Moving it to the left gets faster response, but more chance of a note triggering incorrectly. The app is analyzing the audio as it comes in, and is looking for the harmonic structure for the notes (the better the structure, the faster it tracks); there's a threshold that the app waits for before determining that a pitch has been identified correctly, and that's what the slider controls. All of the apps have some latency (and the hardware controllers do too) -- I've found that the app tracks mono as well as MIDI Guitar, and IMO, does polyphony better, but YMMV.