Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Bs-16i iAPs

I’m not sure if I need the IAPs in BS-16i. It sounds very good without the high quality sound engine. How much better would it sound? Also, when would I need more than 64 voice polyphony?

I love the app, but I’m not sure if I need these extras.

Scarlet Jerry

Comments

• Not sure I can hear the change in the engine either... probably requires generating 2 sound files and doing quick A-B comparisons to see if the highs are more defined or the sound more airy.

128 voices matter when you start having more than 8 busy tracks.

I had a bluetooth keyboard hooked up to really listen to the big SF2 pianos and realized the latency in BS-16i is intolerable to use it as a sample loading engine for realtime playing.
    But for General MIDI playback it's worth every penny.

• @McDtracy said:
    Not sure I can hear the change in the engine either... probably requires generating 2 sound files and doing quick A-B comparisons to see if the highs are more defined or the sound more airy.

128 voices matter when you start having more than 8 busy tracks.

I had a bluetooth keyboard hooked up to really listen to the big SF2 pianos and realized the latency in BS-16i is intolerable to use it as a sample loading engine for realtime playing.
    But for General MIDI playback it's worth every penny.

Good to know, latency is my biggest enemy 😡

• The high quality sound engine in Bs-16i makes a difference, particularly for quiet passages or subtle playing. With the standard engine I can notice at the tail of many sounds (when the volume decreases and is near silence) some kind of noise, like low resolution samples, similar to the typical effect of mp3s at quiet moments (mp3 for classic or jazz is just intolerable for me).
    It dissapeared when I activated the high quality engine.

• NOTE: It could have been the size of the library loaded since I suspect BS-16i doesn't have disk streaming like Auria Pro for example. But it does the right thing... just add more buffering and produce the sound when the audio has been correctly rendered.

I was more Streaming Video services understood this issue. If you have a delay in an audio/video stream, buffer more of the stream to let the user avoid crackling and the spinning wheel of time-outs.

Please don't avoid getting BS-16i. It's the best bargain in the Store for MIDI File Playback
    and testing SF2 libraries. I'll add more testing to my To Do list.

• Thanks for the info. And yes, BS-16i is an amazing app - an absolute must have if you are an iOS musician.

Scarlet Jerry

• @scarletjerry said:
    Thanks for the info. And yes, BS-16i is an amazing app - an absolute must have if you are an iOS musician.

Scarlet Jerry

+1 it’s a must have (including IAP)

• I wish bs-16i had better anti-aliasing filters in the first place, ideally adjustable for each instrument/channel separately. I used to downsample samples individually depending on their high frequency content to save space (just like many sample library manufacturers did in the 80s and 90s), but doing this with bs-16i, I get weird aliasing at higher frequencies.
    This in combination with the inavailability of live disk streaming can become limiting, especially when using multiple SF2s.

• I have crushes with 2 instances of BS-16i when trying to open saved Aum auv3 presets with different wave table.

Any advice would be thankful

• You have to use the same wavetable folder for all au instances.

• Bit clunky. Bit old. Bit limited. But utterly irreplaceable.

Buy all of it - the boosted sound engine shines through on some sounds - low strings and double basses and the like... anyway, we should support the developers ... it's absurdly cheap given what's in there... it's a generous app.

That said, the AUV3 limitations are very disappointing and half-baked - crippling the AUV functionality really. I want half a dozen different banks running in different instances please. I'm sure it's fixable ... Pure synth et al seem to have managed to run multiple sample banks simultaneously.

One of the best apps on iOS ... a real work-horse.