Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH WRONG NOTES? MODAL PLAYING!

Comments

• Enough @Dawdles. Get a grip.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I love the major into minor switch, so scale modes screw me up in that regard as I tend to not have access to notes I want to play. One day I must actually learn what I'm doing, though, rather than relying on my ear!

I could certainly never fully improvise a piece chromatically (I play so many 'wrong' notes when doing that). However, when I write songs with my alt rock band (We Used To See The Sky: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjzv5VdI3UDJezagOnjtJCQ), I can do relatively theory-complex stuff that essentially involves happy accidents on synth/guitar through fiddling about. I then record these for the song's demo, and we all learn and replicate it when playing the song live. I come up with cool vocal melodies, too. But it's not stuff I've actually 'learnt' in terms of coming up with melodic phrases. It's all about knowing what sounds good by ear, and having listened to a gazillion songs and knowing what I like. So I'm sure coming up with stuff is a slower process than it would be if I had a proper grounding in music theory.

• It's all dissonance and consonance to me

• Jazz........Nice!!! B)

• edited July 2018

@McDtracy said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    What exactly do you mean by 'Modes in jazz broke the tyranny of the circle of fifths'?

The Charlie Parker era of BeBop used chord progressions that tended to follow around the circle of fifths to the landing tonic root chord. All these young players idolized the dexterity that Parker ("Bird") displayed and drilled scales and patterns against these classic "Cherokee Changes". This type of virtuosic jazz playing is the hallmark of academic jazz students.

Miles Davis cam along with a dislike for solo'ing using scales. He ushered in a "Cool Era" that emphasized playing carefully chosen interval based solo'ing over chords that tended to slide up and down modal paths like D minor - E minor - F maj 7 - E minor - D minor. This type of playing focuses on not playing a lot of notes but using the right chord elements to evoke a feeling.

That's the historic paradigm shift I was referring to with "Modes in jazz broke the tyranny of the circle of fifths". It freed a lot of players up to avoid scales and learn to craft a solo using other musical techniques like "motifs". Take a Miles solo apart and you'll see he typically had a small 2-3 note idea that got re-worked through out the solo.

First thanks for replying, I like your posts and I not just talking directly to you now :-) With an instrument you can’t avoid scales, you can stay in one or modulate to another, to me at least chromatism is a fantastical path of modulation. With some instruments like my favourite the piano even when you hit one note it creates harmonic resonance so harmonic structure is ever present. Bebop was based on harmonic structure and improvisation if I am not mistaken, I can already hear bird rolling in his grave. Cool jazz following a mix of blues and actually referring back classical masters like Bach, beethoven, people like to refer to Satie who l love because it’s seems he hightlighted modes in his compositions. Evans was into Bach big time. The use of motifs also cannot avoid scales and miles’s ‘so what’ is basically diatonic in many peoples views. I agree with you if you are implying that 2-5-1 progressions breed like rabbits in jazz and the circle of fifths/fourths was a fascination for bebop and it is. I also agree that maybe that album from miles showed a different way to view playing/soloing but both forms have always existed.
    To me there is no difference in any of these so called styles, it’s only relevant if you are either learning from it or trying to use it. I spend most my time learning Bach, from learning his music I learn the piano and l learn about certain structures and theories, I would go further and say I learn more about myself and possibly the universe we live in! Does it mean someone using a mouse in ableton and assigning a mode for a scale is any less meaningful, just depends on how it sounds in the end. This often makes talking about music theoretically a paradox (including what I just said) and has little value unless the discussion involves the action of playing music to each other. In this discussion the only actual music is the audio played by a lady on thumbjam and I believe that is the only important message. Go buy thumbjam it has the best selection of scales ever and it is AWESOME! 😂

• @[Deleted User]
    With an instrument you can’t avoid scales

With most you can ! There are some exceptions, organs, and those that use a hammer - Piano, Marimba

Any fretted instrument the strings can be bent, most synths have fine tuning on the OSC which could be mapped to Mod Wheel, wind instruments can be controlled to a certain extent with how you blow (slurring).

• Nothing wrong with playing blue notes :p

• @Dawdles said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Wow. Well said @dawdles. Try to keep it less personal.

Just bugs me when people try to promote the notion of art being diluted just because something doesn't fit their personal framework of checkboxes that sum to = validity and look down their noses at the things that make other people happy.

• @[Deleted User] Yes, Thumbjam is quite good. I used the viola on my last tune posted and was very satisfied as a solo stringed instrument string instrument was hard to find. Have not heard ISymphonic solo strings, though.

Maybe posting some music to back up what we are trying to communicate is a good idea.
    @[Deleted User]. I am not so sure that bebop was primarily harmonic in origin. I was taught that melody was the key to jazz
    (Just one point of view, of course, but that of a jazz great and bebop player, Lennie Tristano)) Bird was the exemplar of the spontaneous line, though even he had a vocabulary which I feel at its root is melodic. But I don't think it is a question that has an answer. Both are essential after all.

• The problem is how harmony has been categorized and institutionalized in the educational system from the universities on down.

weirdly, the longer I exist and the more I come into contact with them the more I am coming to the conclusion that universities are actually criminal organisations with a very sophisticated cloak of “legitimacy” as a disguise.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@[Deleted User]

With most you can ! There are some exceptions, organs, and those that use a hammer - Piano, Marimba

Any fretted instrument the strings can be bent, most synths have fine tuning on the OSC which could be mapped to Mod Wheel, wind instruments can be controlled to a certain extent with how you blow (slurring).

That’s true but what ever note you bend to has a scale.

• +1 to everything @Dawdles wrote. Thanks for taking the time to type out what I was thinking too.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@[Deleted User]

That depends on where/when you start and end the bend ;)

• This thread makes me realize I don’t know a damn thing about music scales, chords, theory etc. Maybe I should go back to playing the drums haha.

• edited July 2018

@AndyPlankton said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@[Deleted User]

That depends on where/when you start and end the bend ;)

Yep :-) the in between is passing.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    This thread makes me realize I don’t know a damn thing about music scales, chords, theory etc. Maybe I should go back to playing the drums haha.

If the music you are making sounds good to you, and you don't have a difficult time making it, then you don't need to know any more ;)

• @AndyPlankton said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    This thread makes me realize I don’t know a damn thing about music scales, chords, theory etc. Maybe I should go back to playing the drums haha.

If the music you are making sounds good to you, and you don't have a difficult time making it, then you don't need to know any more ;)

Amen to that 🙏

• You're 70 and still care about what other people think?

• @McDtracy said:
    I'd love to hear that E Lydian Improv on SoundCloud and the various modes over the E Pedal to hear how you practice that too. Always looking for inspiration...

I actually decided to take you up on this.

The E Lydian run:

All modes rooted on E:

• @Blipsford_Baubie Did I say I care about what other people think? I feel particularly unaffected by any conflicts on this forum ( other than the recent racial episode) as they are as insubstantial as the people who promulgate them. Perhaps you are confusing me with someone else.

But if you ask me directly I would answer yes, I care about all the people I love and respect. And several are members of this forum. I do care what they think.

• I only play in scales of one note. But I change from one scale to another relatively frequently.

• @Dawdles said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Dawdles said:

@LinearLineman said:

Just bugs me when people try to promote the notion of art being diluted just because something doesn't fit their personal framework of checkboxes that sum to = validity and look down their noses at the things that make other people happy.

Mature. Nice try but I’m not going to stoop today.

Obviously you agree with the sentiment sewn throughout that paragraph I quoted from @LinearLineman. I don’t. Guess you think it’s ok for someone to voice that kind of opinion, but not for someone to debate it. How very ‘Modal’...

you see Dawdles, this is where you are going wrong. you are jumping to conclusions and making assumptions with very little thought. there are a lot of ways to interpret my post.
    1) as a prime example illustrating your own point. ie: Joe Dolce, someone people most often look down their noses at.. despite the fact that he is a well respected much published poet in his own (adopted) land, a good writer on subjects such as Percy Grainger and publishes a huge amount of damn fine recipes!
    2) at face value .. which is assuming the poster is unintelligent ( an unintelligent assumption generally ) lets call this response “the knee jerk”
    3) play the video, listen to the words of the song, get a feeling of the story of an alien whining about being somewhere unfamiliar, amongst unfamiliar people and being blind to the benefits of said place and being told in no uncertain terms to tone it down a bit! and see if that chimes with anything you are experiencing yourself.
    4) other interpretations from the surreal to the prosaic.

You also, weirdly, assume that I am in complete agreement with mr linearlineman on some point about ‘Modality’ ??? not only do i not agree with various points he raises, I am far removed from the world he talks about. being a part of the non-idiomatic scene since the mid 80’s so i don’t have a horse in that race and for us those arguments have long since atomized. I don’t even agree with him on what a piano should sound like!! but the guy conducts himself with reasonable manners and that’s what counts.
    you keep, hilariously, bleating about some kind of ‘lynching’ like there is a mob gathering together after your skin. it is actually just people in general agreement about when a persons behaviour is inappropriate for this type of forum and don’t feel like keeping schtumm. That in itself speaks volumes about yr mental space currently.. but it ain't an excuse.
    Some of the point of what you jumped down his throat about is actually worth debating BUT to be honest no one here is going to be bothered discussing those points with you whilst you are still unable to read and interpret peoples replies in the context of your own previous posts. now get yr Dolce on and never forget this forum....
    “ eets-a nice-a place! “

• @Dawdles said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Dawdles said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Dawdles said:

@LinearLineman said:

Obviously you agree with the sentiment sewn throughout that paragraph I quoted from @LinearLineman. I don’t. Guess you think it’s ok for someone to voice that kind of opinion, but not for someone to debate it. How very ‘Modal’...

you see Dawdles, this is where you are going wrong. you are jumping to conclusions and making assumptions with very little thought. there are a lot of ways to interpret my post.
    1) as a prime example illustrating your own point. ie: Joe Dolce, someone people most often look down their noses at.. despite the fact that he is a well respected much published poet in his own (adopted) land, a good writer on subjects such as Percy Grainger and publishes a huge amount of damn fine recipes!
    2) at face value .. which is assuming the poster is unintelligent ( an unintelligent assumption generally ) lets call this response “the knee jerk”
    3) play the video, listen to the words of the song, get a feeling of the story of an alien whining about being somewhere unfamiliar, amongst unfamiliar people and being blind to the benefits of said place and being told in no uncertain terms to tone it down a bit! and see if that chimes with anything you are experiencing yourself.

You also, weirdly, assume that I am in complete agreement with mr linearlineman on some point about ‘Modality’ ??? not only do i not agree with various points he raises, I am far removed from the world he talks about. being a part of the non-idiomatic scene since the mid 80’s so i don’t have a horse in that race and for us those arguments have long since atomized. I don’t even agree with him on what a piano should sound like!! but the guy conducts himself with reasonable manners and that’s what counts.
    you keep, hilariously, bleating about some kind of ‘lynching’ like there is a mob gathering together after your skin. it is actually just people in general agreement about when a persons behaviour is inappropriate for this type of forum and don’t feel like keeping schtumm. That in itself speaks volumes about yr mental space currently.. but it ain't an excuse.
    Some of the point of what you jumped down his throat about is actually worth debating BUT to be honest no one here is going to be bothered discussing those points with you whilst you are still unable to read and interpret peoples replies in the context of your own previous posts. now get yr Dolce on and never forget this forum....
    “ eets-a nice-a place! “

Yawn. Are you this cryptic, manipulative, condescending, unforgiving and transparent in real life too?

You quote me and then post a track called ‘shuddupyaface’....no words. Just a link to that song. And you’re saying it’s a flaw of mine for taking that at face value? Who wouldn’t?? Not sure what world you live in...

Its true, it was, sadly, entirely predictable, how you were going to react, but somehow I felt like giving you the benefit of the doubt.. and I love to see who the Dolce fans are :)
    read and re-read..
    and remember... “ eets-a nice-a place “ !

• @Dawdles said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Dawdles said:

@RockySmalls said:

@Dawdles said:

@LinearLineman said:

“ eets-a nice-a place! “

Are you this cryptic, manipulative, condescending, unforgiving and transparent in real life too?

it is real life... real words from real people unless, of course.... you’re not??
    usually people couch their replies with that knowledge in mind....
    i disagree with number 4 on your list.. I’ve been VERY forgiving (twat?) and have taken some time out of my day to help. your welcome.

• @AppleHorizon said:

@McDtracy said:
    I'd love to hear that E Lydian Improv on SoundCloud and the various modes over the E Pedal to hear how you practice that too. Always looking for inspiration...

Awesome. Thanks for getting my head back to thinking about the possibilites of music.

@[Deleted User] said:
    First thanks for replying, I like your posts.

You sir will always get my consideration.

@[Deleted User] said:
    Go buy thumbjam it has the best selection of scales ever and it is AWESOME! 😂

I'm on it. No matter how bad things might be we can always come here and find out about yet another little jewell to add to the treasure chest for a few sheckles.