Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Field Recording Source Compositions

edited June 2018 in Other

Recently discovered this German and Indian duo's collaboration called "Diffused Beats". They use mostly field recordings to synthesize and turn into very nice compositions.

Have been interested in doing this very same sort of thing with iOS and have collected most of everything I want in terms of apps and mobile gear. I know others here dig this same sort of approach too, so I thought I'd share.

I discovered the duo from an interview with the India dude named "Ish" on a recent Sound Matters podcast:

Here's their "Diffused Beats" bandcamp from the street field recording compositions. I don't know what gear they used for any of this though:

http://diffusedbeats.bandcamp.com/album/incidents-and-recollections

Comments

• I already love this just based on your description! B)
    Can’t wait to check it out. Got a fucking vacuum cleaner screaming in my ear at the moment. :D

• Browsing through the tracks, I don't hear the field recordings.

• edited June 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Browsing through the tracks, I don't hear the field recordings.

They used field recordings as source for synthesis. If interested... listen to the podcast to get a better idea of their methods.

• @CracklePot said:
    I already love this just based on your description! B)
    Can’t wait to check it out. Got a fucking vacuum cleaner screaming in my ear at the moment. :D

Hey at least it's less annoying than water drops 😂

• @skiphunt said:

The used field recordings as source for synthesis. If interested... listen to the podcast to get a better idea of their methods.

Ah, thanks. I'm more interested in the end results than in the technology used to get there (he writes on a board dedicated to music technology).

• @CracklePot said:
    I already love this just based on your description! B)

There are a few users regular users on this forum who's work with field recordings as source for synthesis and composition... are every bit as good as what this duo is doing (if not better)... so I figured a few here (like yourself) ;) would dig it.

• edited June 2018

@skiphunt said:

The used field recordings as source for synthesis. If interested... listen to the podcast to get a better idea of their methods.

Ah, thanks. I'm more interested in the end results than in the technology used to get there (he writes on a board dedicated to music technology).

It's part of why I'm so drawn to apps like Mitosynth and Synthscaper... that let you easily synthesize real world source samples, and shape them into something completely new.

• This tape is actually really dope, ima have to zone into this..
    Hopefully they have YouTube videos going thru some of the process and crap

• @skiphunt said:

It's part of why I'm so drawn to apps like Mitosynth and Synthscaper... that lets you easily synthesize real world source samples, and shape them into something completely new.

At some level of granularity, a field recording becomes indistinguishable from a wave table.

• @reasOne said:
    This tape is actually really dope, ima have to zone into this..
    Hopefully they have YouTube videos going thru some of the process and crap

I haven't listened to all of their bandcamp album yet. Skimmed several and know that I'm going to have to spend some quality time with it and some decent headphones.

I just put it in the post because it's some of what they came up with. If you do find some youtube that walks through their process... please do share here. :)

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@skiphunt said:

It's part of why I'm so drawn to apps like Mitosynth and Synthscaper... that lets you easily synthesize real world source samples, and shape them into something completely new.

At some level of granularity, a field recording becomes indistinguishable from a wave table.

Yes, I'm perpetually fascinated by this. It's the main reason I got into iOS sound stuff, ie. you can do this kind of stuff without having to spend a huge amount of money.

I like the stuff that straddles somewhere between sounding obviously organic, and digitally synthesized. Kinda like what I'm hearing here in this referenced album for the most part.

There are a couple other users here doing the same kind of stuff that I also dig quite a bit. Especially when it's mixed with modular sound and organic tape loop effects.

• @skiphunt said:

@skiphunt said:

Yes, I'm perpetually fascinated by this. It's the main reason I got into iOS sound stuff, ie. you can do this kind of stuff without having to spend a huge amount of money.

I like the stuff that straddles somewhere between sounding obviously organic, and digitally synthesized. Kinda like what I'm hearing here in this referenced album for the most part.

There are a couple other users here doing the same kind of stuff that I also dig quite a bit. Especially when it's mixed with modular sound and organic tape loop effects.

I've been trying to get to that point on ios but without any success. I have Samplr and Tardigrain and the new one (forget the name), but can't get what I want. So yesterday I bought a Morphagene....

• Just want to thank @skiphunt for introducing me to this wonderful podcast! :)

• edited July 2018

@richie said:
    Just want to thank @skiphunt for introducing me to this wonderful podcast! :)

My pleasure :) I was originally turned onto it via this forum a couple years ago I think.

All of them are good and it’s worth backing up all the way to the beginning.

• Ty @skiphunt
    Love this stuff!
    Will follow eagerly!
    :)

• I'm experimenting with an electro-acoustic workflow as of now... and this is damn inspiring :smile:

Currently I need more mics (have just a cheap one), and instruments and devices (ios, android, psp and gameboy) running through a mixer with a bass pedal, SP-404, Zoom Sampletrak and Boss Micro-BR in the Send FX route of the mixer

• For those who aren't subscribing to the Sound Matters podcast, or those who didn't catch this thread before... there's a new Sound Matters podcast episode that's pretty good. All of them are good IMO, but I really dug this one. It features a couple of sound artists from Iceland: