Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DJing feasible on iOS?

Hi!

My college roommate had a Traktor USB turntable and the DJ software (beatmatching, effects, etc) to go with it that he would bust out at parties to supply the music. It was a whole lot of fun.

I know much less about DJing than producing and am curious if there are any good iOS apps that compare to his setup. Also, are DAWs commonly used in the modern set-crafting process? If so, how? Any iOS DJing tips you might have would be appreciated!

Comments

• edited June 2018
  • I might be missing something, but I do wonder how he managed to get separate headphones and PA mixes just by using a "DJ splitter cable"?

• They are mono, but there’s a few options out there. djay even had a branded one you could buy at Apple stores for while.

• Yep, those DJ splitter cables (MONO to headphones, MONO to house i think) were available way back, before USB audio interfaces were really well-known to work great with iOS.

• @Tarekith I would admit that a mono headphone mix might be feasible, but mono on the floor? No way...

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Tarekith I would admit that a mono headphone mix might be feasible, but mono on the floor? No way...

Way...

• I actually force mono whenever I DJ. It’s not a problem at all for the dancefloor. If I play an older song where the drums are only on the left or right channel (a handful of Motown), it can sound really off depending on how the speakers are placed. Mono insures that everything is heard from the same place. Rarely have I come across a track where the mono mix is so poor it ruins the party.

• As far as DJing on an iPad, I’m finding it a more viable option as time goes on. I’ve only done it once with Djay Pro on a low key gig using Spotify, but it worked pretty well. I’m very used to CDJs now since it’s stock in most clubs in NYC, but I want to be able to pull out my iPad and rock at the same level. My biggest obstacle is screen interaction. The physical response is pretty important for me, but if you can get beyond that, you could probably get far. A lot of programs let you use controllers and offer midi mapping.

Of all the ones if tried (and I think I have them all?) Djay Pro is the most stable and professional.

• @DCJ said:
    As far as DJing on an iPad, I’m finding it a more viable option as time goes on. I’ve only done it once with Djay Pro on a low key gig using Spotify, but it worked pretty well. I’m very used to CDJs now since it’s stock in most clubs in NYC, but I want to be able to pull out my iPad and rock at the same level. My biggest obstacle is screen interaction. The physical response is pretty important for me, but if you can get beyond that, you could probably get far. A lot of programs let you use controllers and offer midi mapping.

Of all the ones if tried (and I think I have them all?) Djay Pro is the most stable and professional.

Thanks for the input, I will check it out. Personally I’m less concerned with live capabilities and more interested in being able to craft a multi-song set weaving all the songs together with my own flair.

• @DCJ said:
    As far as DJing on an iPad, I’m finding it a more viable option as time goes on. I’ve only done it once with Djay Pro on a low key gig using Spotify, but it worked pretty well. I’m very used to CDJs now since it’s stock in most clubs in NYC, but I want to be able to pull out my iPad and rock at the same level. My biggest obstacle is screen interaction. The physical response is pretty important for me, but if you can get beyond that, you could probably get far. A lot of programs let you use controllers and offer midi mapping.

I tried sorting through the many DJ apps before. There are so many, and I am just curious at this point so it was hard to tell which ones were the best. Your experience and opinion really helped me. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. B)

• Just cuz she’s hot! 😳😬

• I've really enjoyed the Soda DJ app, love how you can set up your gui the way you want... Downfall is I can't seem to get sound to route properly as IAA into Aum or AB or Ape, hopefully the dev continues to dev it up!

• I've enjoyed Traktor DJ on ipad. I put together this D&B mix before I even had a splitter cable..just by visually matching the waveforms and teasing new tracks in to make sure they sound ok. I think it turned out alright.

Definitely get at least a splitter cable or even better an external controller if you want to put together solid mixes. Traktor DJ was super easy to learn. I haven't used the other DJ apps as much. I use it with a Traktor Kontrol Z1.

The main tip with any kind of computer based DJing is you really need to go through your music first and make sure the beat grids are set up correctly and fix them if they aren't.

• edited July 2018

Feasible?

Also check https://djplayerpro.com for unlimited hardware support...