Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for iOS app/tool that will make "seamless" loops out of audio...

I'm wondering if there's an app I've not been able to stumble across that will take an imported audio clip/sample and essentially splice front to back, back to front to make it "loopable."

Granted, the outcome depends on how "loopable" the source file is, but essentially I want something like in the graphics world of those tools that make seamless tiles...

I know I can do this manually in various audio editors, but I figure there's gotta be something that's just a simple app...

Anyone?

Comments

• Automatically detecting transients works more or less reliably in some apps but finding the correct start and end point for a rhythmically correct loop?
    I know many apps but one app that at least supports tap tempo and maps a grid over your waveform is BlocsWave.
    I don't remember an app that does this completely automatic, not even on Win/Mac.

• Yep. Loopy is quite good at this presuming your source material is close. It does a micro-crossfade on imported loops (like 2ms) to get rid of potential pops. Without that, you'd need an editor that can detect (or let you zoom into find) zero-crossings. Actually, I think Twisted Wave allows for that but that's not what you're looking for. Loopy will also let you time-stretch the imported loop to match some other BPM.

AUM will also capture perfect loops. Well, it will capture exactly N bars of audio. But you get out what you put in.

• edited June 2018

Hmmm. .Maybe I wasn't clear...

Here's my long manual process that I'm looking for an app to make life easier...

1) I have a sample/loop... Let's say it's a 4 bar pad with a fair amount of modulation, so that if I just loop as it, it's got a discontinuous start/stop loop. (i.e. sounds like shit when it loops).
    2) Currently i open it in Audio Evolution (such an amazing, yet apparently under-loved app), set the beat grid to match tempo, duplicate the loop 2x (so i now have 3 instances)
    3) set up 1 bar crossfades at start and end of the "middle" loop
    Numbers are beats:
    {1111222233334444}
    -------------------------{1111222233334444}
    --------------------------------------------------{1111222233334444}
    Grrrr.. Can't get it to look right... Anyway...

Then I just grab the middle part so that it "mostly" fades back around on a loop.

For most pad or other sounds that don't have a busy rhythm it works really well to make a loop. It's just kinda time consuming. Thus my hunt for an app. :)

• @syrupcore said:
    Yep. Loopy is quite good at this presuming your source material is close. It does a micro-crossfade on imported loops (like 2ms) to get rid of potential pops. Without that, you'd need an editor that can detect (or let you zoom into find) zero-crossings. Actually, I think Twisted Wave allows for that but that's not what you're looking for. Loopy will also let you time-stretch the imported loop to match some other BPM.

AUM will also capture perfect loops. Well, it will capture exactly N bars of audio. But you get out what you put in.

Wait, how do you get AUM to only capture X bars of audio? I know the recording can be sync'd to Link, and I've tried a horrible workaround where I actually midi bind a note to record command, then send that note from another sequencer so I can get pre-determined recording lengths... But you're saying there's some way to tell AUM to record X bars when I press record?!

F me.. I always manage to find the most complex ways to do stuff...

Please tell me this magic!

• @Drümünkey said:

@syrupcore said:
    Yep. Loopy is quite good at this presuming your source material is close. It does a micro-crossfade on imported loops (like 2ms) to get rid of potential pops. Without that, you'd need an editor that can detect (or let you zoom into find) zero-crossings. Actually, I think Twisted Wave allows for that but that's not what you're looking for. Loopy will also let you time-stretch the imported loop to match some other BPM.

Wait, how do you get AUM to only capture X bars of audio? I know the recording can be sync'd to Link, and I've tried a horrible workaround where I actually midi bind a note to record command, then send that note from another sequencer so I can get pre-determined recording lengths... But you're saying there's some way to tell AUM to record X bars when I press record?!

F me.. I always manage to find the most complex ways to do stuff...

Please tell me this magic!

It just starts and stops recording in sync :)
    Set the sync quantum to what you prefer , see :

• Yes. Under tempo in AUM - then tap on the ... button. Set sync quantum to 1 bar (I use this but you can change). Must use Link - push play in AUM transport with a synth or drum beat playing. Set up to record and when you hit record it won't start recording until the beginning of the next bar. Tap record again to stop when in the last bar you want to record and it will stop at the end bar. So if you have sync quantum above set to 4 bars, I think you would hit stop record and then 4 bars later it would quit recording (Not a great explanation but this might help )

• @Halftone said:
    Yes. Under tempo in AUM - then tap on the ... button. Set sync quantum to 1 bar (I use this but you can change). Must use Link - push play in AUM transport with a synth or drum beat playing. Set up to record and when you hit record it won't start recording until the beginning of the next bar. Tap record again to stop when in the last bar you want to record and it will stop at the end bar. So if you have sync quantum above set to 4 bars, I think you would hit stop record and then 4 bars later it would quit recording (Not a great explanation but this might help )

Oh man.. I never even thought about that!

I need to give this a try when I get home... This may just be the last piece in my workflow I've been banging my head against... How to record loops from apps or collections of apps & FX...

I should be able to build my patch using something like Cells->StepPolyUnit->synth->FX
    Set record quant to 3 bars, hit record, press play then edit out the first and last bars to get one loopable middle bar...

Oh man I hope this workssssssssss...

• @Drümünkey said:
    Oh man I hope this workssssssssss...

>

It should. Then you can import into Blocs Wave, labelling your loops appropriately, and Blocs Wave will alter the key and tempo if required, should you use the new loop in something different. Like magic. ;)

• yes, but with no info about tempo and pitch Blocs is a bitch ;)
    (tried this with instrument recordings yesterday...)

on topic: Audioshare's editing is a surprisingly convenient tools for manual trimming of loops. Just record as much as you need, choose Trim and Fade, find the startpoint with hold-autozoom, same for endpoint. I use it quite often.
    (sometimes makes a lot of intermediate files, but when the final version is cut I rename this and trash all the others, which is quick with the multi-choice option)

• Blocs wave or loopy....
    I use loopy hd personally. It's the best

• edited June 2018

@Drümünkey said:
    Hmmm. .Maybe I wasn't clear...

Here's my long manual process that I'm looking for an app to make life easier...

1) I have a sample/loop... Let's say it's a 4 bar pad with a fair amount of modulation, so that if I just loop as it, it's got a discontinuous start/stop loop. (i.e. sounds like shit when it loops).
    2) Currently i open it in Audio Evolution (such an amazing, yet apparently under-loved app), set the beat grid to match tempo, duplicate the loop 2x (so i now have 3 instances)
    3) set up 1 bar crossfades at start and end of the "middle" loop
    Numbers are beats:
    {1111222233334444}

Then I just grab the middle part so that it "mostly" fades back around on a loop.

For most pad or other sounds that don't have a busy rhythm it works really well to make a loop. It's just kinda time consuming. Thus my hunt for an app. :)

In Sound Forge (pc/Mac) there was an advanced loop maker’s feature, that I haven’t seen in iOS, called
    “Crossfade Loop”. It did exactly what you are asking about- it made a perfect, smooth loop out of material that wasn’t ideal for looping. You needed a little extra material on either side of the loop boundaries to construct the crossfade. It would take that extra, on the end, and costs fade it over the beginning (or vice versa). No click, no jump in sound, as smooth as you wanted it, as long of a fade as you wanted.

It is time consuming to reproduce the process by hand, in destructive audio editors. It is very similar to making a repeating tile in a graphics editor. I would be very interested in an iOS audio editor with this feature but haven’t seen it yet. Actually, haven’t seen it outside of Sound Forge.

• @Halftone said:
    Yes. Under tempo in AUM - then tap on the ... button. Set sync quantum to 1 bar (I use this but you can change). Must use Link - push play in AUM transport with a synth or drum beat playing. Set up to record and when you hit record it won't start recording until the beginning of the next bar. Tap record again to stop when in the last bar you want to record and it will stop at the end bar. So if you have sync quantum above set to 4 bars, I think you would hit stop record and then 4 bars later it would quit recording (Not a great explanation but this might help )

That was a GREAT explanation. Loopy works the same way, but you can also set a predetermined Loop length with the master loop length. AUM is actually better is you don’t know how many bars you want.

@Telefunky said:
    yes, but with no info about tempo and pitch Blocs is a bitch ;)
    (tried this with instrument recordings yesterday...)

on topic: Audioshare's editing is a surprisingly convenient tools for manual trimming of loops. Just record as much as you need, choose Trim and Fade, find the startpoint with hold-autozoom, same for endpoint. I use it quite often.
    (sometimes makes a lot of intermediate files, but when the final version is cut I rename this and trash all the others, which is quick with the multi-choice option)

Another great tip. This will come in handy when you trim out the middle section. I would add that you can take it one step further and get perfect length loops if you know your BPM. Do the trim&fade like @Telefunky outlined. Do this for the start marker. Hit the snap button, enter the bpm, and turn on snap to beat. This turns on a beat grid aligned to the correctly placed start point, so you can snap the end to trim the loop to the exact number of beats you need.

• @Halftone said:

i never knew that either. thanks

• Agreed that seamless looping is no given. Mostly I’ll use AudioShare to edit as described by @Telefunky then export/open in another app. Great for archiving.
    It sounds to me like you’re looking to arrange the loops in song mode or as a sequence?
    Loopy is a good option but you’ll have to start/stop each loop manually or record the session.
    Group the Loop is another option that has a master group and as many groups for verse/chorus as needed and import options as does Loopy.
    Also Samplebot allows you to import an entire piece, edit>save as a loop>import entire piece again>save as loop and so on. Sounds like a lot of monkey humping around but it goes pretty smoothly. You can also arrange in sequence mode or just record manually.
    Lots of options. The AUM trick is sweet too.

• I've dug into AudioShare's editing, and for the most part, AUM's recording quantize and AudioShare's trim/fade I can handle like 90% of what I need. Thanks guys!

• Also Group the loop works perfectly!

• @Drümünkey said:
    Numbers are beats:
    {1111222233334444}

Try using the "Code" text option which uses a font that has fixed sizing to help align columns of text.
    I'll take a guess on how you want them to line up:

Numbers are beats:
    111122223333**4444**
    ------------------**1111222233334444**
    ------------------------------------**1111**222233334444 

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

Indent each line that you want to appear as fixed space code by at least four spaces.

• Little late but for just editing of audio files, Voice Record is pretty good.

• edited May 2019

Hi,
    try Auria Pro.

DigitalOcean SiteGround iPage

• Caustic has a “wrap-tail” feature for seamless loops with reverb etc.

• @Drümünkey said:
    I've dug into AudioShare's editing, and for the most part, AUM's recording quantize and AudioShare's trim/fade I can handle like 90% of what I need. Thanks guys!

Ditto

• Enso can record loops and then you can save them to the same locations as are available to the Files app.