Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi recorder/sequencer to use in AUM

So I know there is a possibility that in a future update AUM will receive a midi record function,.This has not been confirmed.

In the mean time I have an issue, I want to record my keyboard playing in AUM and I don't want to use a DAW yet. I prefer the live performance feel of AUM and having a DAW running just so i can record a few live basslines or chords seem a waist of processing power...... Any suggestions?

Comments

• You have a lot of discussions about this.

Try to search!

• Maybe check Sequencism. It is free, and can host AU synths and AU midi, and supports .sf2 Files too, which I like. It is way more powerful than it seems.
    I may not fit the bill for you, but it’s free, and gets the job done pretty well for me.

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:
    Maybe check Sequencism. It is free, and can host AU synths and AU midi, and supports .sf2 Files too, which I like. It is way more powerful than it seems.
    I may not fit the bill for you, but it’s free, and gets the job done pretty well for me.

Yeah, It’s hard for me to explain but I don’t want a DAW like app, more like a small app that you can add on a node in AUM and record midi. I think AUM will have that built-in eventually but I have no idea when that will happen. Would a step sequencer do the job?

• edited June 2018

Maybe I should keep it real live and use loopyHD for recording bass lines and chords on the fly in real-time and wait and see if AUM get updated with midi record? Nah because I can’t tweak the sounds afterwards!

• Infinite looper or aleph looper maybe

• I gave i and hooked up Gadget in AUM to record MIDI...

Hope if/when AUM is updated to record midi it will have features like Gadget's 'recording to next tracks and Ableton live export.
    Sure will be nice just to press one button and record MIDI in AUM.

• Xequence

• @Halftone said:
    Xequence

How do you load it in AUM?

• @RajahP said:

@Halftone said:
    Xequence

How do you load it in AUM?

You can’t. But you can hook them up through midi and link.

• @RajahP said:

Sure will be nice just to press one button and record MIDI in AUM.

Amen to that!

• @Halftone said:
    Xequence

I'm gonna check it out now

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Infinite looper or aleph looper maybe

gonna check them out too

• @[Deleted User] said:

@CracklePot said:
    Maybe check Sequencism. It is free, and can host AU synths and AU midi, and supports .sf2 Files too, which I like. It is way more powerful than it seems.

Yeah, It’s hard for me to explain but I don’t want a DAW like app, more like a small app that you can add on a node in AUM and record midi. I think AUM will have that built-in eventually but I have no idea when that will happen. Would a step sequencer do the job?

It’s pretty light compared to a normal DAW. It doesn’t have audio tracks. It is billed as a sequencer, but it can host AU if you need to hear your particular synth sound when recording.
    I guess it’s all in how you look at it. I wouldn’t call it a DAW. I think it fits the description of an AUM type of hosting app, but Midi focused as opposed to Audio focused. If it did both, and came pre-loaded with tons of instruments and fx, then I would consider it a DAW.

• @CracklePot said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@CracklePot said:

It’s pretty light compared to a normal DAW. It doesn’t have audio tracks. It is billed as a sequencer, but it can host AU if you need to hear your particular synth sound when recording.
    I guess it’s all in how you look at it. I wouldn’t call it a DAW. I think it fits the description of an AUM type of hosting app, but Midi focused as opposed to Audio focused. If it did both, and came pre-loaded with tons of instruments and fx, then I would consider it a DAW.

I did try but i'm not happy with it really, just the fact i'm running two hosts and complex (for me) routing and it feels like a DAW. maybe what i want doesn't exist at the moment. :#

• @[Deleted User] said:

@CracklePot said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@CracklePot said:

I did try but i'm not happy with it really, just the fact i'm running two hosts and complex (for me) routing and it feels like a DAW. maybe what i want doesn't exist at the moment. :#

Yeah that is a pain, but why do you need to use AUM at all? Just do the hosting in Sequencism if you need your synth sound, record your stuff and be done. If you have a jam going in AUM already, just leave it there and sync to it with link. But yeah, trying to route midi and audio back and forth is too much hassle for simply recording a midi track. This is the easiest way with the lightest app that I have found. Open to any other suggestions, though.

• @CracklePot said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@CracklePot said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@CracklePot said:

Yeah that is a pain, but why do you need to use AUM at all? Just do the hosting in Sequencism if you need your synth sound, record your stuff and be done. If you have a jam going in AUM already, just leave it there and sync to it with link. But yeah, trying to route midi and audio back and forth is too much hassle for simply recording a midi track. This is the easiest way with the lightest app that I have found. Open to any other suggestions, though.

mmmmm, i need to think about it more, I know that using AUM makes me happy so I like to live that environment.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@BiancaNeve said:
    Infinite looper or aleph looper maybe

gonna check them out too

this is probably the closest app to what i want currently minus AUv3. Thank you for highlighting this.

• There isn't really anything like this yet, but something like this in AU form will happen someday.
    Having said that Beathawk AU does record in to the step sequencer/piano roll but it's a bit frustrating I found, does work for some situations though.

Modstep is good for recording in, synced to Link. Not AU but does the job well.

• @Carnbot said:
    There isn't really anything like this yet, but something like this in AU form will happen someday.
    Having said that Beathawk AU does record in to the step sequencer/piano roll but it's a bit frustrating I found, does work for some situations though.

yep, what I am looking for doesn't exist. Maybe there is some deeper meaning to be learnt here?

• @Carnbot said:
    There isn't really anything like this yet, but something like this in AU form will happen someday.

I tried using AU BeatHawk to record midi, but all I got was a loud buzzing noise so I figured it was futile. If you have had success, then I will need to try again.

• @CracklePot said:

@Carnbot said:

I tried using AU BeatHawk to record midi, but all I got was a loud buzzing noise so I figured it was futile. If you have had success, then I will need to try again.

I found the AU gui a bit too unresponsive to work with comfortably to be honest

• @CracklePot said:

@Carnbot said:

Kill the metronome to fix the buzzing.

• @wim said:

@CracklePot said:

@Carnbot said:

Kill the metronome to fix the buzzing.

Ah, that’s right! I remember seeing that recommended a little while back, but forgot about it with Spacecraft showing up out of nowhere, having a meltdown, trying to learn apeMatrix, and Kroneker, new Quantum features...
    it must have slipped through my brain sieve.

Thanks for reminding me. :)

• i LOVE working from AUM :)

it's like the pan in which i sprinkle ingredients

the ability to simply record/playback the midi in a track ( or not ) would be wonderful

and i like that AUM is modular

the super Rozeta and StepPolyArpUnit adding beautifully to the functionality and fun

i find AUM to be a spontaneous experience

the ability to tweak and twerk this experience post event, would, particularliy for a musician of my abilities, be a wonderful thing

so +1 for a simple midi recorder for AUM :)

• @Halftone said:

Xequence

Turns out xequence and infinite looper are the closest apps to what I want as far as I can tell, I can’t find anything in the Auv3 world. Thanks !

• @Carnbot said:

@CracklePot said:

@Carnbot said:

I found the AU gui a bit too unresponsive to work with comfortably to be honest

Also there’s another bug and can’t record multiple midi channels .

• @simonnowis said:
    i LOVE working from AUM :)

it's like the pan in which i sprinkle ingredients

the ability to simply record/playback the midi in a track ( or not ) would be wonderful

and i like that AUM is modular

the super Rozeta and StepPolyArpUnit adding beautifully to the functionality and fun

i find AUM to be a spontaneous experience

the ability to tweak and twerk this experience post event, would, particularliy for a musician of my abilities, be a wonderful thing

so +1 for a simple midi recorder for AUM :)

Amen 🙏

• edited June 2018

Must ask , what advantage an AU sequencer would have over a standalone version ?

• @Korakios said:
    Must ask , what advantage an AU sequencer would have over a standalone version ?

Actually the main function I’m looking for is midi record my real time bass Lines/chords so be nice to have a small app I could wack on a track in AUM to record. Just place it on the node.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Korakios said:

Actually the main function I’m looking for is midi record my real time bass Lines/chords so be nice to have a small app I could wack on a track in AUM to record. Just place it on the node.

I would pay good money for an AU3 single track piano roll midi rec/player for AUM. Perhaps we should crowdfund a dev to build one😃!!