OT: Hell has frozen: Moog goes POLYPHONIC

This would’ve been top notch on April 1st. But that’s long gone. A polyphonic Moog Synth might just become a “thing” it seems. Interesting turn of events if this turns out to be true.

Synthtopia article: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/06/26/moog-one-a-polyphonic-synth-story/

Features (Unofficial):

Highlights:
3 VCOs per voice
3 part multitimbral – 3 synths in 1
Knob per function
4 LFOs per synth with easily assignable modulation
Arp and sequencer (per synth)
Clock sync
Assignable CV ins and outs
Lots of i/o for routing synths and effects
Eventide reverbs built in
Unrestricted number of presets
Oscillators – create complex waveforms
Noise – Dedicated envelope for transient shaping

Filter
State variable filter AND Moog Ladder Filter
HP, LP, BP or notch
link filters together for ganged sweeps
assign sources to SVF ladder or both in the mixer

Envelope
3 envelopes (amp, filter, and assignable)
Easily assignable mod matrix
Sequencer and Arp

Effects
True bypass effects
effects per synth and a master effects bus
2 assignable macro controls – customizable per patch
Vocoder
Modulation
Easily repeatable mod matrix routings
4 LFOs – 1 button destination routing
Fine tune and create complex modulation via transforms
Easy assign performance controllers
Eventide Reverbs
XY pad for expressive control

8-voice: $5,999
16-voice: $7,999

«13

Comments

  • I wait for the 5 dollar app :)
    But yep....some nice specs. But i think software is on par these days (at least a few ones).
    But using high quality knobs on a real Moog is really an experience (i just had one time and i was really impressed).

  • @Cib said:
    I wait for the 5 dollar app :)
    But yep....some nice specs. But i think software is on par these days (at least a few ones).
    But using high quality knobs on a real Moog is really an experience (i just had one time and i was really impressed).

    Agreed.... I think. :) Software is there, on par, but playing a VI vs. playing the real deal....that bridge might never be gapped. I would be afraid for my bank account if I were to ever play this mystery synth in person.

  • The misspellings and Eventide bit look suspicious. For that money, I'd rather get a Prophet X anyway.

  • @GovernorSilver said:
    The misspellings and Eventide bit look suspicious. For that money, I'd rather get a Prophet X anyway.

    Yeah, that Prophet X looks intriguing. Way above my pay grade but I’m glad it exists.

  • wish someone would bring back the andromeda A6 - I regret selling it...

  • So, the 16-voice-version seem to be the most cost effective one.
    ;-)

  • @midiSequencer said:
    wish someone would bring back the andromeda A6 - I regret selling it...

    I always wonder why so many people love(d) this one. All demos i heard yet doesn´t sound really impressive for me.
    Is there something special this thing has?

  • CibCib
    edited June 27

    @brice said:

    @GovernorSilver said:
    The misspellings and Eventide bit look suspicious. For that money, I'd rather get a Prophet X anyway.

    Yeah, that Prophet X looks intriguing. Way above my pay grade but I’m glad it exists.

    I would just be happy with this as midi only controller.
    The thing is that almost ALL midi controllers are NOT great for synths.

  • @Cib said:

    @midiSequencer said:
    wish someone would bring back the andromeda A6 - I regret selling it...

    I always wonder why so many people love(d) this one. All demos i heard yet doesn´t sound really impressive for me.
    Is there something special this thing has?

    I think it’s a visual thing. Have you had a chance to see one in person? It’s an epic beast of a thing. Like a Jupiter-8 style mammoth. I’ve heard some nice things from them. A buddy used to have one and it was a rabbit hole. Not on my list currently but you never know.

  • I have a friend with an Andromeda. Nice synth and of course he likes it too. But he says it's too delicate to be trusted onstage - not like Yamaha CP-series digital pianos and Motifs, Roland Fantoms, etc. that are built like tanks and can take the punishment of gig after gig on the road.

  • It will be in the same league as that synth by Baloran: baloran.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=167&product_id=277

    That synth sounds really beautiful but the builder is really just a small company which might not be able to fulfill all requests.

  • Sounds like this was just one random person talking about what their ideal poly synth from Moog would be and it got blown all out of proportion thanks to Synthopia.

  • I’ll take a Moog monosynth and a Dave Smith polysynth. That would suit me I think.

  • Just finished the factory livestream. First synth livestream I ever sat through in its entirety. At the current asking prices, I'm in no rush to preorder or anything, but it sounds great to me. It's one thing to read in text that it's tri-timbral, it's got two different filters you can mix continuously with knobs, etc. but a whole other thing to hear it all in action.

    I think anyone who can afford those prices will probably be very happy with it, assuming the build is more reliable than the last Moog product that came close to this level of complexity - the Voyager, which was notorious for the board failures - the digital control side, not the analog signal path side.

    I'd like to see a simpler model without the built-in FX. I'm sure the Eventide reverbs and stuff added quite a bit to the cost.

  • @midiSequencer said:
    wish someone would bring back the andromeda A6 - I regret selling it...

    Me too :'(

  • @Cib said:
    I would just be happy with this as midi only controller.
    The thing is that almost ALL midi controllers are NOT great for synths.

    How about a "dedicated" synth controller ? with diffent sections for Osc, Filter, LFO, Envelopes, FX, etc ? which looks like a real synth instead of a "generic" 8 slider 8 knob midi controller ?

  • @Fruitbat1919 said:

    @midiSequencer said:
    wish someone would bring back the andromeda A6 - I regret selling it...

    Me too :'(

    Just need a software version now - preferably AUv3!

  • Is anyone else totally turned off by the prices?

    I know they are special items, but, it feels a little gratuitous in reality for what it is.

    Same as cars I suppose.

    I just don't know if Bob Moog would wanted a day when although the company is widely known by all level musicians yet the majority of the largest percentile of the population will never be able to afford most of the items these days.

    I know they are art.

    I know hand crafted.

    I KNOW

    I KNOW

    I KNOW

    But, in the big picture, when you look at the price and what you can buy with that money to make music it makes your head spin.

    Would I want one? YEP

    Is MOOG more or less a toy for rich people and celebrities for many models?

    Enough of my class warfare pity party.

    Looks awesome as fuck in spite of my belly aching.

  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

    @Cib said:
    I would just be happy with this as midi only controller.
    The thing is that almost ALL midi controllers are NOT great for synths.

    How about a "dedicated" synth controller ? with diffent sections for Osc, Filter, LFO, Envelopes, FX, etc ? which looks like a real synth instead of a "generic" 8 slider 8 knob midi controller ?

    That sounds interesting - are you making one?

  • I can't afford it, but I don't consider that being "turned off" or otherwise emotionally upsetting.

    It's a concept car synth that will be sold to established artists such as the ones featured in the above video (Ryuichi Sakamoto, Chick Corea, etc.), established studios, and universities.

    I expect a trickle-down polysynth for working class people will be released within the new few years.

  • @Cib said:

    @midiSequencer said:
    wish someone would bring back the andromeda A6 - I regret selling it...

    I always wonder why so many people love(d) this one. All demos i heard yet doesn´t sound really impressive for me.
    Is there something special this thing has?

    The Arp was great, but more than that I loved the design.
    I sold it because too many reports of failed tuning, so couldnt afford to loose the £2000 I paid new for it.

  • edited October 8

    Out of my league, but this Moog is beautiful... :)

  • Can’t afford one.

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    Is anyone else totally turned off by the prices?

    I know they are special items, but, it feels a little gratuitous in reality for what it is.

    Same as cars I suppose.

    I just don't know if Bob Moog would wanted a day when although the company is widely known by all level musicians yet the majority of the largest percentile of the population will never be able to afford most of the items these days.

    I know they are art.

    I know hand crafted.

    I KNOW

    I KNOW

    I KNOW

    But, in the big picture, when you look at the price and what you can buy with that money to make music it makes your head spin.

    Would I want one? YEP

    Is MOOG more or less a toy for rich people and celebrities for many models?

    Enough of my class warfare pity party.

    Looks awesome as fuck in spite of my belly aching.

    There are more musicians who make enough money to afford one of these than you might think. I am not one of them.

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    Is anyone else totally turned off by the prices?

    I know they are special items, but, it feels a little gratuitous in reality for what it is.

    Same as cars I suppose.

    I just don't know if Bob Moog would wanted a day when although the company is widely known by all level musicians yet the majority of the largest percentile of the population will never be able to afford most of the items these days.

    I know they are art.

    I know hand crafted.

    I KNOW

    I KNOW

    I KNOW

    But, in the big picture, when you look at the price and what you can buy with that money to make music it makes your head spin.

    Would I want one? YEP

    Is MOOG more or less a toy for rich people and celebrities for many models?

    Enough of my class warfare pity party.

    Looks awesome as fuck in spite of my belly aching.

    At that price it seems much less desirable to me. I would prefer to buy a variety of useful things instead.

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    Is anyone else totally turned off by the prices?

    I know they are special items, but, it feels a little gratuitous in reality for what it is.

    Same as cars I suppose.

    I just don't know if Bob Moog would wanted a day when although the company is widely known by all level musicians yet the majority of the largest percentile of the population will never be able to afford most of the items these days.

    I know they are art.

    I know hand crafted.

    I KNOW

    I KNOW

    I KNOW

    But, in the big picture, when you look at the price and what you can buy with that money to make music it makes your head spin.

    Would I want one? YEP

    Is MOOG more or less a toy for rich people and celebrities for many models?

    Enough of my class warfare pity party.

    Looks awesome as fuck in spite of my belly aching.

    Not at all. I could sell my piano and own one of these things no problem. But I wouldn't buy one of these as I've got a ton of great mono synths that bring the analog sounds. Hearing the demo stuff for this was actually a bit of a relief for me, my poly patches in Model D/Model 15/Animoog sound almost as good.

    I actually think Moog prices are really fair. Fuck I bought a vintage lefty gibson les paul custom for 3k about 15 years ago when I was a teenager washing dishes. That was my first major instrument purchase & I was earning 80 bucks a week.

    The definition for a musician needs an update because there is a serious difference between a lifer that put's it all into their tools and craft compared to a dabbler that spends their spare cash on some toys.

Sign In or Register to comment.