Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are there different sizes Apple lightening charger?

My Mom is having a great deal of difficulty finding the right lightning charger for her iPad. It appears to accept a lightning cable, however none of our family to get it to fit inside the port. I can see some wear on her tip. I can not see corrosion in the iPad charging port.
Do they make lightning chargers in different sizes??

Thanks for any info
Cliff

Comments

• You mean size as in physical size or as in wattage/voltage?

Both: Yes, they do.

• Different physical size of the lighting port ? Never heard that before...

• @cliffeb said:

Different physical size of chargers...

• They’re all the same. She probably has fluff in the lightning port. Use a paper clip to scrape it out

• edited July 2018

**Not a paper clip! ** It's conductive and could short the iPad. You also could scrape the gold off the contacts. Use a wooden toothpick. Be gentle.

• Wow, thanks for all the feedback. It is a size thing, I have a picture waiting to be approved to go up here. But it is narrower then a regular lightning connection. Yesterday I filed a new lightning down to make it fit.
    Because as you pointed out, it could have corrosion in the port, if I'm using the right terminology. I looked in there with a flashlight, magnifying glass and with my phone's camera set to zoom -- and didn't see anything blocking the pathway. I did gently sweep from the rear to the front with a toothpick a few times.

• As for the wattage, it seems to work well with both 10, and 12. The thing is her old cable will slip out of position where it won't be charging.

• @MrBlaschke said:
    You mean size as in physical size or as in wattage/voltage?

I'd sure appreciate if you could lead me in the right direction on your "yes" on physical size. I did file one down to where it would fit and charge, but it is difficult for her to do. I've gotten my family to help search for one, my Mom has bought 3 that turned out to be the same size and all 3 too big.

• You asked if there are different sizes of charger – yes there are.

Then you just change the subject and start talking about lightning leads. There’s only one size of lightning port, therefore only one size of lightning plug on a lightning lead.

• edited June 2018

@cliffeb said:

@MrBlaschke said:

I'd sure appreciate if you could lead me in the right direction on your "yes" on physical size. I did file one down to where it would fit and charge, but it is difficult for her to do. I've gotten my family to help search for one, my Mom has bought 3 that turned out to be the same size and all 3 too big.

You missed @MrBlaschke latest post :)

@MrBlaschke said:

@cliffeb said:

Looking at the picture there is definitely something wrong. The right cable seems abused !

Edit : Is it possible to check if there is piece remaining stacked in the ipad port ?

• @u0421793 said:
    You asked if there are different sizes of charger – yes there are.

Then you just change the subject and start talking about lightning leads. There’s only one size of lightning port, therefore only one size of lightning plug on a lightning lead.

Thanks for your feedback. I am new to forums, and may have used the wrong terminology to describe my issue. However, my question is about the tip of the charging cable. As in : are there different sizes of what must be Apple lightning connection, in the end of charging cables?

I did give some other pertinent info, imho, about how it charges with 1) 10 W and 12 W charging blocks and 2) Mom's worn down tip on her charging cable.

I don't know if what I wrote clarified your inquiry as to my meaning, if it did and you have advice I would appreciate it.

• @Korakios said:

@cliffeb said:

@MrBlaschke said:

You missed @MrBlaschke latest post :)

@MrBlaschke said:

@cliffeb said:

Looking at the picture there is definitely something wrong. The right cable seems abused !

Edit : Is it possible to check if there is piece remaining stacked in the ipad port ?

You are absolutely right about the right cable (tip) being abused, in so much that it has worn down by my Mom taking it in and out of her iPad. I don't see how she does it everyday, but she is 74 with health and pain issues...So I see her doing whatever to charge her iPad.

To your question: I looked the best I could and didn't see anything in the iPad port. I could've missed something, but nothing looked "extra" in the port space. There must be corrosion , so you think, after all this discussion, that has reduced the width of the port enough to cause such a problem?

• The one on the right looks like a dodgy knockoff. You should use proper Apple cables, or certified ones. Others can cause shorts, overheating, and even carry malware. Yes! Malware in a cable!

I wrote up a how-to on spotting the fakes here. But yours is definitely a bad ‘un. Don’t use it again.

• @mistercharlie No Malwares in cables . Don’t worry, too expensive for massive production ;)

@cliffeb My best advice is to go to a store that has service support with the iPad and the cables
    Oh, hope the best for your mother :)

• Thanks again! Just got word my Mom is taking her iPad to a computer store right now. I bet they get her problem solved, fingers crossed.

• Here’s an article on fake lightning cables. You can also find articles on lightning cables and malware.

• You might need an actual Apple Branded lightning cable. I haven’t had this problem and I use 3rd party cables too. It seems like you are having bum luck in which cables you buy, but 3 out of 3 seems really unlikely for bad cables. I think if you look for MFI certification on 3rd party products for iDevices, you may have better luck. MFI = “made for iDevices” and I believe the certification comes from Apple themselves. It is guaranteed to work (unless the company just puts MFI on their product page in phony kind of way. I heard rumors, but never experienced this).

One other thing to know, sometimes a case can keep the plug from plugging in all the way. It usually has to do with the case having a hole around the port, but the cable has too much bulk around the base of the plug, and the base of the plug runs up against the rim of the case’s charge port hole. This keeps the plug from fully engaging with the port.

I think the computer tech will get this straightened out. This is a weird one, so if you could update us on the situation, I would be interested.

• edited June 2018

@cliffeb any news ? (Mostly worried for cheap fake lighting cables flooding the market )

Edit: @InfoCheck no malware exists on cables....

• you filed down a lighting cable !! :D :D :D :D :D :D

• The cable on the right has the tip of the plug broken off. Probably still stuck in the iPad.

• @DonH said:
    The cable on the right has the tip of the plug broken off. Probably still stuck in the iPad.

He said he filed it down himself.

• busker,
    If you read the caption under the picture in the original post by cliffeb, he says the one on the right is the cable his mother has been using.

Cliffeb, all lightning connectors are the same size. Your mum's cable has had the tip of the housing of the lightning plug break off and is still in her iPad. You'll have to pull it out with small tweezers. They can be a pain to get out.

• Hi. The tech guy where my Mom took it to have it fixed saw a sliver of metal deep in the iPad charging port. He said it was a very tiny sliver that broke off and stuck in the port and was hard to see at first.
    The best part is he was able to remove it and only charged her for a new charging cable...standard lightning type.

It works fine!

Thanks again for your feedback,
    Cliff