Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Buying non genuine Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter?

Was looking to some cheap adapters on eBay costing less than 10€.
Has anyone tried one ? Mostly interested in charging the iPad on the same time while connecting multiple usb controllers (without the need of powered usb hub ).

Comments

• Run far far away. These are notorious for acting weirdly when used for audio/ MIDI. It really is not worth the hassles.

Buy the Apple product.

• Nope , 50€ are many drinks ... :smile:
    I found some at 20€ ,but don’t know if they are genuine. The description says Apple stuff but still searching

• @Korakios said:
    Was looking to some cheap adapters on eBay costing less than 10€.
    Has anyone tried one ? Mostly interested in charging the iPad on the same time while connecting multiple usb controllers (without the need of powered usb hub ).

See Jakob video

I bought the cable he had on there and it is awesome.

$15

• Apple periodically breaks these 3rd party adapters. So, if you get one that works, don’t plan on updating your OS ever.

• Only buy the Apple ones, they’ll work for their lifetime. If you waste money on a cheaper one (or several, one after the other), don’t come on here expecting sympathy or a solution when they stop working, which they will. We’ll just laugh and point out that we told you so, which we are.

• edited June 2018

Don’t do it. You’re wasting your money. It might work (sometimes). It might not (usually). Buy genuine, plug in. No questions or workarounds. Genuine is the only choice that is worth the money

• I had good luck with an older one in the past (30 pin to usb) , heard problems on cheap lighting to usb , but heard nothing of the lighting to usb3 kit.
    Meaning I’ve not heard anyone saying the cheap ones didn’t work (after actually buying and trying one)

• I have tried a 3rd party product(s) that were reported to work and too often did not. I keep them around as a reminder to protect expensive items with good adapters and external interfaces.

A huge benefit of the Apple version is the addition of a charging port on the adapter which has saved me many times. A lot of great devices are bus powered but the iPad won't supply enough charge for them to light up. Input the Apple charger into the bus port and all is well.

The cheaper adapters (I looked into) don't have this extra lightning port... if that $15 one does I'd probably check it out rather than spending $40 to just have a spare. Apple does have a valid reason to make these cheap products fail: they CAN and often do cause hardware failures in iPads, iPhone, etc. Esp, cheap rechargers that cause Apple's battery to overheat. Pay the Apple tax and you'll probably get stuff that works as advertised and when it doesn't they usually replace it with enough discrete pressure at their stores, in my experience.

I do however love cheap stuff that also just works and can be hacked: like the Raspberry Pi,
    Linux on Intel. But the fun is in learning how to make cheap stuff work. The benefit is re-gifting cheap stuff to people without money.

• Bad idea.

• edited June 2018

@Korakios said:
    I had good luck with an older one in the past (30 pin to usb) , heard problems on cheap lighting to usb , but heard nothing of the lighting to usb3 kit.
    Meaning I’ve not heard anyone saying the cheap ones didn’t work (after actually buying and trying one)

i bought a cheap usb 3 lightning camera connector for 19 euro about a month ago, its worked for about 30 seconds. Returned it and bought the official Apple one.

made by Elecjoy, never buy it.

• Note that even with the charger attached, you will probably need a powered hub for plugging in multiple devices. I tried my iRig HD2 and a USB MIDI keyboard with a trusty passive USB hub and both devices together only worked correctly when the hub had power.

• +1 on the bad idea for the cheapo USB adapter. I have one gathering dust ... same for HDMI or anything Apple can break with the latest update.

The lightning to USB cables on the other hand people seem to be finding some decent alternatives to the terribly designed Apple one.

• eBay occasionally offers genuine preowned adapters. They are at a much better price than new. The one I bought a year ago still works as expected.

• Have a very cheap one which already have been working past three iOS iterations. Guess I’m lucky...

• I have the standard apple kit, and use a Novation 2x4 soundcard - it has 3x powered usb ports for all my controllers and it works great! Only thing that could make it better is a preamp on an audio in for regular mics... oh and to be able to select which of the 2 stereo outs ApeMatrix uses (other apps see both sets of outs just fine)...

• edited November 2018

Update :
    With less than 8€ , I can charge the iPad and use usb audio midi stuff. :)
    Hopefully it will last long enough but already ordered another one ... ;)

• @Korakios said:
    Update :

Good luck with that.

• @Zaubrer said:

@Korakios said:
    Update :

Good luck with that.

• Mind you my genuine Apple camera adapter won’t work with the new iPad Pro .....

• Usb3 dongle thing only charges ipad, not external stuff hooked to usb. However since it reduces just a tiny bit power needed by ipad itself(due to being charged), it can help to supply enough power to some gear that would need a powered hub. That is just for gear that almost get enugh power, but not quite. Something like audio interfaces and most of stuff you would hook require powered hub

• Has anyone burned the cck by powering both the cck and the usb hub from the same power supply ?
    I know I’ll try it >:) ,but I may not if many people had issues ....

• @Korakios said:
    Has anyone burned the cck by powering both the cck and the usb hub from the same power supply ?
    I know I’ll try it >:) ,but I may not if many people had issues ....

Works for me. I have a good sized Anker power bank and got a USB-A to barrel connector for a couple of 5v powered USB hubs I have. This lets me charge the iDevice and power the USB hub and devices. I run the Lightning power cable to another USB port on the bank, not the USB hub.

• But watch out for thoose audio/charger>lightning from china. They dont work. I`ve tried two of them :s

• @marcuspresident said:
    But watch out for thoose audio/charger>lightning from china. They dont work. I`ve tried two of them :s

Link? Photo ?