Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio interfaces - more than 2 inputs

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• @d4d0ug said:
    Hey. I’m thinking about upgrading my audio interface (currently using Roland duo-capture ex).

I’m looking for something relatively inexpensive that can deliver at least 4 inputs (or 2 x stereo) into AUM.

Any recommendations?

I’m currently looking at the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD because of price point. I noticed Zoom do U-44 withand expansion thing which I think does 4 inputs). Any experience with either of these?

Cheers.

Good question I'm interested too, but maybe more inputs, like eight, if anyone has a reliable solution, thanks.

• edited June 2018

For eight inputs i go for Behringer 1820 for the price. Sound wise its OK and it works with ipad and runs at 96khz max, I actually have one. I used to have a steinberg UR22 and the sound quality is much better than the Behringer but i needed at least 8 inputs.

• Roland, steinberg or focusrite.

• Yes, thanks for the reminder, just asking around to find a reliable and dependable as solution as possible.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 shows up with 8 Ins on my iPad.

• @d4d0ug said:
    I know about the limitation of one incoming audio usb interface on iOS. I’ve looked, so I guess it’s not possible.... but was thinking about some kind of hub that could route usb audio into a single usb interface output with multiple channels inside - going to iPad. Meh must be a dream of mine!

Usb audio hub afaik do not exist. But digital channels do exist being spdif or optical.
    Otherwise using a stereo mixer into a dual channel interface could do the job, depending on your workflow

• @echoopera said:
    My Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 shows up with 8 Ins on my iPad.

Thanks, which iPad iOS are you using with the Scarlett.

• edited June 2018

Running iOS 11.4 or whatever the latest and greatest is.

Try taking your iPad, USB Cable and CCK to a local Guitar Center or music store which carries Focusrite and see if they’ll let you demo it.

• Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK. 14 channels in/ 12 out over usb. Sounds good to my ears and has incrediable routing options.

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • +1 on the zoom u 44. I have it along with focusrite 18l8 and a presonus 44vsl. And I find myself using the zoom more than anything else. It's an awesome piece of kit

@d4d0ug said:
    Hey. I’m thinking about upgrading my audio interface (currently using Roland duo-capture ex).

I’m looking for something relatively inexpensive that can deliver at least 4 inputs (or 2 x stereo) into AUM.

Any recommendations?

I’m currently looking at the Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD because of price point. I noticed Zoom do U-44 withand expansion thing which I think does 4 inputs). Any experience with either of these?

Cheers.

• Anyone used Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 with iPad?

Just got one and haven’t encountered any problems (although I had to uninstall and reinstall GarageBand to get it to work). Haven’t tried recording multiple inputs yet, however.

• @d4d0ug said:

I’ve seen this one which is a compromise (little bit more economical) Focusrite Scarlett 6i6

Anyone used Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 with iPad?

I use one. Works great and if you need more inputs, focusrite does those as well

• @d4d0ug said:
    Anyone used Akai EIE Pro with iPad ?

And it is not core audio

• @mschenkel.it said:

@d4d0ug said:
    Anyone used Akai EIE Pro with iPad ?

And it is not core audio

What he said. Second hand Akai EIE (red) is super reliable and seems to be made for Ipad. It’s a bit heavy though so not ideal for portability. But if you want to connect more than one usb controller and want to avoid the usb hub mess I’d highly recommend it as it has 3 usb midi inputs and standard midi IO.

One thing to consider is that I’d doesn’t go beyond 16bit 44.1 but it never sounded bad to me. Maybe I’m just not that fussy.

• In case of 16bit it's limited with microphone recordings of relatively silent sources or if the mic delivers low output, like many dynamic mics do (if not adressed loudly).
    But you can compensate th latter with a Triton Audio FetHead (a 20dB low noise booster plug between mic and cable, about $70).

• @Telefunky said:
    In case of 16bit it's limited with microphone recordings of relatively silent sources or if the mic delivers low output, like many dynamic mics do (if not adressed loudly).
    But you can compensate th latter with a Triton Audio FetHead (a 20dB low noise booster plug between mic and cable, about $70).

That’s probably why I’m never bothered :).

I actually believe that some noise is (can be) part of music just like the old crackle of a record or shimmer of a tape. I guess build up of noise over several tracks might be a problem but at those levels a touch of gate generally works pretty well.

• In fact there are few sources that 'suffer' from slipping into quantization noise.
    An acoustic guitar tracked with an SM57 is an example where the 'downward headroom' of 24bit would provide plenty of digital gain to get the recording to a healthy track level.

But most budget condensor mics deliver enough signal (or have higher self-noise levels) to never get anywhere near that quantization boundary.
    And these indeed could be gated or the grainy sound be considered a feature.

• I don't have the extra capsule but I have used the optical input and outputs and they show up. So I'm sure the capsules would.

@d4d0ug said:

@Bootsy said:
    +1 on the zoom u 44. I have it along with focusrite 18l8 and a presonus 44vsl. And I find myself using the zoom more than anything else. It's an awesome piece of kit

Interesting! Do you have one of expansion capsules to take it up to 4 inputs? And if so - do you see 4 separate channels on the iPad? Cheers

• @waynerowand said:
    Soundcraft Signature 12 MTK. 14 channels in/ 12 out over usb. Sounds good to my ears and has incrediable routing options.

How do you handle MIDI with that mixer?

• @bert I use an Arturia Keystep and a Quadra Thru to take care of MIDI. Really do wish the Soundcraft had that capability.

• edited June 2018

@waynerowand said:
    @bert I use an Arturia Keystep and a Quadra Thru to take care of MIDI. Really do wish the Soundcraft had that capability.

How is your setup then if I may be so free to ask? Because it is off course a tempting mixer, being able to get that amount of audio in and out.