Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's this about? - Spacecraft Granular

Comments

• I already like it a lot and I am crossing fingers for some AU support to use several instances of it in AUM :)

On my iPhone 8 I couldn’t get the effect to work. But thanks for making it universal. That’s cool

• @deltaVaudio first let me say that you are great at navigating these waters and for that i have much respect.

We see great potential in this little app and really want to help you take it to the next level.

FWIW, forums are not the best place to receive feature enhancements and requests so I’ll do my best to compile a list for you and send it via email.

Love your app.
    Love that you’re here.
    Love to help you see it thru.

Cheers B)

• It’s working great on my iPhone SE and iPad 10.5 Pro.

I have noticed some bugginess in apeMatrix & AUM... the same that @Carnbot cited.

Needs tweaks for sure, but pretty awesome right out of the gate I must say. :) No issues at all in standalone.

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Yes, Dawdles, unfortunately the file import and save features (in standalone) only work with iCloud drive enabled. I realise now that many people don't want to enable iCloud drive so I'll need to find a way around this!

• edited June 2018

Speaking as someone with some experience shipping both iOS and Android apps, I think that @deltaVaudio's response - which I took as "this is something I will fix, now that I'm aware that it's a problem, but until I can I'm going to withdraw the claim that it works" is 100% reasonable.
    Speaking only for myself, what I see here is an app that has absolutely nailed the bit that requires individual developer creativity and spark to get right, and has a bunch of things "wrong" or incomplete. Those bugs and missing bits are, however complex to do or however much time they take to get right, mechanical and bookkeeping details, not the core of "what makes an iOS music app good". That part, I think we can agree, Spacecraft already has.
    It's certainly true that we should expect and encourage @deltaVaudio to keep polishing, adding features, and fixing bugs, but the reason those things even matter is that the core app experience is something really unique and delightful, and that even in its current state can be used to make really cool sounds (as all the examples in this thread serve to demonstrate).

edited to remove quote since like nine other posters posted while I was typing my draft. Life comes at you pretty fast, sometimes.

• That's a really nice comment @hlprmnky, thanks.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @deltaVaudio said:
    Yes, Dawdles, unfortunately the file import and save features (in standalone) only work with iCloud drive enabled. I realise now that many people don't want to enable iCloud drive so I'll need to find a way around this!

But please don’t get rid of the iCloud functionality just because a few don’t want to have iCloud enabled.

I bet there are many more (like myself) who have no problem having iCloud turned on. I mean why the frig not?! It’s 5GB of free storage and often allows for seamless transfer between iPhone, iPad and desktop.

• @skiphunt said:

@deltaVaudio said:
    Yes, Dawdles, unfortunately the file import and save features (in standalone) only work with iCloud drive enabled. I realise now that many people don't want to enable iCloud drive so I'll need to find a way around this!

But please don’t get rid of the iCloud functionality just because a few don’t want to have iCloud enabled.

I bet there are many more (like myself) who have no problem having iCloud turned on. I mean why the frig not?! It’s 5GB of free storage and often allows for seamless transfer between iPhone, iPad and desktop.

What he said. Do not cut off your nose to spite your face :# :p

• edited June 2018

I think he just needs to turn on the Document Provider API to access AudioShare via the MORE...button in the Add File flow. It will result in a 2 Step Process but allow the user to execute the “grab file” from their preferred repository.

• People...for gods sake lmao....In iOS11, Your audioshare filestructure is available in the Files app. Just as stated (and shown in some video earlier in the thread). This is how iOS will handle file sharing going forward, audioshares kit from Liljedahl won’t be around forever. Issues here should be directed at Apple.

Oh wait what’s that? It works as an AUfx, that wasn’t stated anywhere, what a nice bonus!:-)

I’m very happy with this app, it sounds good, it works fine, and most importantly it’s FUN. Oh and it’s only $2.99.

• I'd like Spacecraft to be accessible also to people who don't know about AU, Audioshare etc. so I will certainly keep the default option of loading/saving files in the current standalone way (which seems to always work when iCloud drive is enabled and you are in standalone). I'll obviously need to find a solution for people who have iCloud drive disabled, in this scenario.

In parallel I'll look into some way of getting file load/save working when using a host GUI like the ones you guys use. I think the fact that Spacecraft is inside a host GUI is the only thing that is stopping the file load/save feature from working (i.e. Native modal File chooser can't open). For example, when using Spacecraft as an effect AU in Garageband, it is fullscreen and so everything works fine, like standalone.

I'll need to do a bit of research to figure out the best way forward re: Audioshare.

• edited June 2018

@deltaVaudio, I love it! Please when you have time I love more scales and also it would be great if you can double tap the various XY settings to go back to default parameter.

And midi clock sync would be awesome!

• Still loving this app. Pretty much anything that has been pointed out as a inconvenience or “not what I expect” problem can be easily dealt with using simple work around.

If you are thinking this app is too buggy or incomplete to use, you would be mistaken.
    People nitpicking about things not working like they think they should is most of the negative feedback. This app works fine, as is. Complainers, consider it is $3.

This hoopla about saving presets doesn’t even apply for me. What exactly are you saving that you can’t quickly dial in anyway? I don’t want my samples saved in my presets, makes presets too big and space wasting. The UI can be reset to default with the press of a button, and that seems like the best starting point anyway.
    Any setting you would like to save would only apply to the specific sample you are using. If you change the sample, the sound produced changes drastically. So much so that I see no point in applying a preset to it. You would most likely change the settings to suit the new sample anyway.
    So how can you save some setup you are really a liking in the moment? You don’t. You record your output. It is the only way you will get the exact same performance, anyway.

This app is best suited for live sound manipulation, or generating audio files by playing the app live while recording the output. It is not a “set it and forget it” type of effect app. Unless you are just leaving controls in place, it is pretty much impossible to predict what this app will produce, or even get a consistent sound from it. It mainly depends on the sample you use, and what part of the sample you are using.

About the only use for presets I can see is to recall Midi Control connections. But honestly, I am not sure how much automating I will be doing in this app, since it is setup so great for live, hands on manipulation, and playing it is way more fun and interesting.

• @echoopera said:

@skiphunt said:

@deltaVaudio said:

What he said. Do not cut off your nose to spite your face :# :p

I asked about why people turn off iCloud in the first place, as well.
    What is the benefit?

• These are pretty ambient, I will do some more lively ones for performances 1...

• I recommend for everyone to use iCloud on your iPad/ iPhone as it makes sharing files between apps/ devices a lot easier. :)

• @Carnbot said:
    I recommend for everyone to use iCloud on your iPad/ iPhone as it makes sharing files between apps/ devices a lot easier. :)

I concur, mainly so people can use this awesomely fun app! :)

• @deltaVaudio, is it possible to tempo sync with a host? The controls in this apps would work so well with such a function.

• @deltaVaudio said:
    These are pretty ambient, I will do some more lively ones for performances 1...

Beautiful.

• Wow! This is magic AND works great in BM3!

• @deltaVaudio said:
    I realise now that many people don't want to enable iCloud drive so I'll need to find a way around this!

>

Dropbox would be nice

Really fun app, though, and I hope the enthusiasm (plus a few sales) here is encouraging.

• edited June 2018

Bought using Doug’s link. You know what? This app is freaking AMAZING. I think the last time I had this much fun just playing around and getting that “oh wow so cool” feel was when I first got Patterning. I’ve had Synthscraper for a while and although it’s cool and all I never found anything I felt I could actually use in a real track. This app is miles more inspiring and fun to play (for me, anyway) and I’ve already got stuff I can USE, immediately. So fun!

Thanks @deltaVaudio and thanks for joining in on the feedback. This will only get better!

• @[Deleted User] this is actually a currently disabled feature which I need to work on a bit more to make right. I know it works with Garageband transport but need to test it with all of these AU apps you guys use.

When tempo sync is activated (which will be optional), then the y-axis of the grain control pad will become quantised to multiples of the bpm (and maybe triplets!), so you won't get those nice continuous sweeps in frequency when activated (hence why continuous will be optional).

• edited June 2018

@Zen210507 said:

@deltaVaudio said:
    I realise now that many people don't want to enable iCloud drive so I'll need to find a way around this!

>

Dropbox would be nice

Really fun app, though, and I hope the enthusiasm (plus a few sales) here is encouraging.

Dropbox shows up in the Files app when you enable it in the Sidebar...as does Google Drive, Audioshare, Beatmaker 3...so you’re covered mate.

Just turn it on in My Locations

• @Dawdles said:

@CracklePot said:
    Still loving this app. Pretty much anything that has been pointed out as a inconvenience or “not what I expect” problem can be easily dealt with using simple work around.

If you are thinking this app is too buggy or incomplete to use, you would be mistaken.
    People nitpicking about things not working like they think they should is most of the negative feedback. This app works fine, as is. Complainers, consider it is $3.

This hoopla about saving presets doesn’t even apply for me. What exactly are you saving that you can’t quickly dial in anyway? I don’t want my samples saved in my presets, makes presets too big and space wasting. The UI can be reset to default with the press of a button, and that seems like the best starting point anyway.
    Any setting you would like to save would only apply to the specific sample you are using. If you change the sample, the sound produced changes drastically. So much so that I see no point in applying a preset to it. You would most likely change the settings to suit the new sample anyway.
    So how can you save some setup you are really a liking in the moment? You don’t. You record your output. It is the only way you will get the exact same performance, anyway.

This app is best suited for live sound manipulation, or generating audio files by playing the app live while recording the output. It is not a “set it and forget it” type of effect app. Unless you are just leaving controls in place, it is pretty much impossible to predict what this app will produce, or even get a consistent sound from it. It mainly depends on the sample you use, and what part of the sample you are using.

About the only use for presets I can see is to recall Midi Control connections. But honestly, I am not sure how much automating I will be doing in this app, since it is setup so great for live, hands on manipulation, and playing it is way more fun and interesting.

Presets may not be something you'd personally benefit from but it's a little much to assume to imply other users are being fussy and missing obvious workarounds etc....

Like you mention... Sample position is a big deal. You're unlikely to hit the exact same spot again from memory. Especially on smaller screens. And paramaters too. No numerical reference to go back to. And sequencer speed. All of those things make a huge difference to the sound/patterns just by moving a tiny bit either side...

But mainly presets are needed cos when I'm producing a track or playing a show I don't wanna spend time browsing through folders for samples. Total vibe killer. 90% of the time I just wanna skim through 'start-off' sounds I already made in a convenient, fast browser patch library. I generally split my sound design time from my studio time or rehearsal time. Clients/other musicians tend to zone out if they have to sit there for 5 minutes and wait every time you wanna try something...

And just cos someone wants to be able to quickly start from a set point they already worked on, doesn't mean they don't then wanna mangle it beyond recognition during a performance. Presets+performance/improv can work well together. Especially when time is valuable.

It's 2018 and iPads are pretty advanced chunks of earth stuff... User presets are a no-brainer from my POV..

But none of those crucial settings matter unless you save the sample with the preset. If you save the sample with the preset, the preset becomes huge. Why save a huge preset when you can just as easily and more reliably save the audio output. Your presets end up looking like AudioShare, so I say just use recording and AudioShare. Loading a preset is the same as loading a sample. It causes you to break from playing. Your preference for loading one over the other is just that, your preference. Organizing your samples would probably help find them quicker, I would think.

I am not presuming anything, other than people seem to look at this app in the wrong way.
    It is a different type of app, so looking at it as such is helpful in understanding the best way to use it. But if you want to suggest a bunch of things to try and make this app suitable to your particular workflow, or to make it work how you think it is supposed to, then you are presuming that everyone wants the same thing as you, or does things the same way as you.