Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's this about? - Spacecraft Granular

Comments

• I mentioned controlling the playing in this app as an AU FX in apeMatrix. I’d like to be able to load samples to both sequencers from inside apeMatrix, but when you choose import files in the dialog, nothing happens. Since you can’t yet save a setup/preset (with samples) OUTSIDE of apeMatrix, I don’t think you can use anything but the default samples when it’s loaded as an AUV3, am I right? I look forward to these changes. ;)

• Very cool, i really like jaming around with it. My main usage is as AU Fx in AUM.

On my iPad Pro IOS 11.3.1 i can only open up one AU instance, loading a second one crashes both instances (i have seen the screenhot where two instances were open).

I also played around with sampling a 2 bar vocal loop from AUMs file player and then used a tempo synced rosetta to drive AU pos X paramter to get it playing in sync while i fiddled around with all the other parameters - sounded quite intersting and was fun :) But - my sample was not saved in the AUM session :'(

@deltaVaudio
    Please save the current sample in the AUs save state, otherwise there is no total recall when reloading a hosts session.

And please add Midi IN support to the AU to make it playable via keyboard or sequencers (rosetta, spa, ....)

For the AU variant you might consider reducing it to just one playable sound-source. This would reduce the AU parameter number and makes the handling a lot clearer which of the currently two sound sources gets the midi in, which sample to load and so on. If one needs more grain sound souces, one would just load another instance.

• This release of Spacecraft is not officially compatible with being used as an AU in any way other than via Garageband (hence why I didn't advertise it as AU), although as you can see, it can kind of function as an AU in a limited way.

If you run standalone everything should work ok as long as you have iCloud drive enabled (for file load/save).

If you run as an AU:
    1. if Spacecraft is inslude a host gui, tapping the open/save file dialogues will cause Spacecraft to become unresponsive
    2. if you play with the parameters from outside spacecraft it will probably crash

I'm working towards getting this thing functional as an AU. This thread has been a great help! A good kind of baptism of fire.

• edited June 2018

@Dawdles said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Just bought this, and had a quick ten minute play in standalone mode. I’ll try loading and recording via AUM later.

Absolutely brilliant, love it. The UI makes it a really playable thing, I’ve never really got to grips with Tardigrain, this is much more fun.

Seems very different tool to Tardigrain. Tardigrain = incredible playable synth patches. This seems more useful for ambient/noise. Looks good though. I'm sure I'll buckle before the day's out ;)

The beauty of this one is you can just load up a couple of samples and start playing - there's two simple sequencers as well, so you can have one sample providing a bit of rhtyhm while the other does the ambient thing.

Triad loading it as IAA in AUM and it isn't in the list, but you can add it as an AU into the effect slot - which is a bit weird as the description mentions IAA support and not AU, but it did freeze up at one point when I did this.

Updated: can't get this to load up in anything else, only as an AU effect via AUM, and when you try and load a sample it freezes every time.

Looks like the only way to record more than two minutes is to shove a lead out, and record onto the desktop.

Hope this gets a fix, it'll be a wonderful thing if it does.

• edited June 2018

Hmmm...can only get it to run as an AU effect in AUM, so can record the output that way, but the app freezes when I try and load a sample.> @deltaVaudio said:

This release of Spacecraft is not officially compatible with being used as an AU in any way other than via Garageband (hence why I didn't advertise it as AU), although as you can see, it can kind of function as an AU in a limited way.

If you run standalone everything should work ok as long as you have iCloud drive enabled (for file load/save).

If you run as an AU:
    1. if Spacecraft is inslude a host gui, tapping the open/save file dialogues will cause Spacecraft to become unresponsive
    2. if you play with the parameters from outside spacecraft it will probably crash

I'm working towards getting this thing functional as an AU. This thread has been a great help! A good kind of baptism of fire.

The issue for me is not being able to record via AUM or another host, since the two minute standalone file save is limiting and a bit of a fiddle. When I try and load a sample (in AU mode), as you say it freezes up. If this was fixed it'd be fine for me - I could load my own samples, muck about, and record the output.

You have the potential for a very wonderful thing here though.

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2018

@MonzoPro said:
    Hmmm...can only get it to run as an AU effect in AUM, so can record the output that way, but the app freezes when I try and load a sample.> @deltaVaudio said:

This release of Spacecraft is not officially compatible with being used as an AU in any way other than via Garageband (hence why I didn't advertise it as AU), although as you can see, it can kind of function as an AU in a limited way.

If you run as an AU:

The issue for me is not being able to record via AUM or another host, since the two minute standalone file save is limiting and a bit of a fiddle. When I try and load a sample (in AU mode), as you say it freezes up. If this was fixed it'd be fine for me - I could load my own samples, muck about, and record the output.

Just load it into GarageBand and you can load your own samples and record for as long as you want to...not ideal but you can at least load your own samples.

• @Dawdles said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Dawdles said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Just bought this, and had a quick ten minute play in standalone mode. I’ll try loading and recording via AUM later.

Absolutely brilliant, love it. The UI makes it a really playable thing, I’ve never really got to grips with Tardigrain, this is much more fun.

Seems very different tool to Tardigrain. Tardigrain = incredible playable synth patches. This seems more useful for ambient/noise. Looks good though. I'm sure I'll buckle before the day's out ;)

The beauty of this one is you can just load up a couple of samples and start playing - there's two simple sequencers as well, so you can have one sample providing a bit of rhtyhm while the other does the ambient thing.

Triad loading it as IAA in AUM and it isn't in the list, but you can add it as an AU into the effect slot - which is a bit weird as the description mentions IAA support and not AU, but it did freeze up at one point when I did this.

Updated: can't get this to load up in anything else, only as an AU effect via AUM, and when you try and load a sample it freezes every time.

Looks like the only way to record more than two minutes is to shove a lead out, and record onto the desktop.

Hope this gets a fix, it'll be a wonderful thing if it does.

Yeah it does look like a cool gui for messing with a couple of samples and the sequencers etc. Just makes me feel guilt about not yet fully exploring idensity, where there are 6 samples to hand and seemingly much more functionality and ability to save etc. Think I'll try to find couple hours to dig back in to idensity + SPA and see if I feel like this app would be a good move or an overall distraction. Had idensity for ages and feel like I still only scratched the surface :/ I need to stop buying apps at some point and just focus on fully learning those that work best for my needs/workflow and build more sounds in those.... I'm way more focused/productive/quick on desktop/hardware partly cos I'm 95% settled on each tool for each job and have been for the past year+...I know instinctively what to reach for and where the sound I want will come from or already is if I've dialled it in previously and saved it. Seems like on ios I have much more of a blurred thing happening, which is fun to dive in to but a lot of the time stops me from getting things done..

I know exactly what you mean, there’s a whole bunch of apps I could be using more fully - iDensity, Borderlands etc., and biggies such as Gadget and BM3 are sitting there untouched. One of the reasons I haven’t plumped for Apematrix is I know it’ll be a big distraction.

This one though has a fun element, so for three quid, even if it goes back in the cupboard, you’ll have an enjoyable few hours playing with it.

However I think there’s big potential for this for what I do. So even recording out onto desktop, I’m going to get some proper use out of it for my ambient soundscape work, so absolutely no buyers remorse here :)

• @echoopera said:

@MonzoPro said:

If you run as an AU:

Just load it into GarageBand and you can load your own samples and record for as long as you want to...not ideal but you can at least load your own samples.

Ah ok, I don’t have GB on here but good to know.

Enjoyed your tracks.

• edited June 2018

@MonzoPro The AU is just a demo really as it doesn't function as expected. Best way to use this is an IAA effect. Then you can record however long you want in AUM/ApeMatrix etc

Look forward to the AU getting fixed though. Love to have midi input and statesaving working etc

• A.

MAZING

Bought last night before bed.

Stayed up late LOVING it.

Very Samplr.

• @Carnbot said:
    @MonzoPro The AU is just a demo really as it doesn't function as expected. Best way to use this is an IAA effect. Then you can record however long you want in AUM/ApeMatrix etc

Ahhhhhhhhh......! Didn’t spot it in the IAA list in the AUM fx slot when I looked earlier but it is there, so missed that. Thanks!

That works absolutely fine, no freezes at all when I just tried - loaded samples and recorded perfectly.

Right, that’s me sorted, I’ll crack on and knock out an ambient soundscape CD this weekend then...

• edited June 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

Ahhhhhhhhh......! Didn’t spot it in the IAA list in the AUM fx slot when I looked earlier but it is there, so missed that. Thanks!

That works absolutely fine, no freezes at all when I just tried - loaded samples and recorded perfectly.

Right, that’s me sorted, I’ll crack on and knock out an ambient soundscape CD this weekend then...

Yeah, it's lots of fun flying this spacecraft, just really easy to get nice sounds out of :)

I do hope that Link and sync is on the agenda too...

• Wow that's a great demo! Thanks so much for this!

• edited June 2018

What a great example of a new app that works, is highly entertaining, and keenly priced. This one is off to a flying start, and with the kind of development we’d all hope for, may become an IOS classic....

....but it does need a save function, including state of controls. Bit of an own goal, omitting that. :)

• If I hadn't bought it already I reckon that would have convinced me!

Brialliant app, loads of fun.

• @deltAdata , first of all congrats on such a inspiring App, Love it.
    As mentioned before AU support and midi would be a nice touch.

• edited June 2018

@MonzoPro said:
    If I hadn't bought it already I reckon that would have convinced me!

>

Oh yes. Bought it via Doug’s link. Hoping this gets even better, but lovely already.

• @gsm909 said:
    @rafaelollero @echoopera
    Can it work with live audio in AB3 or AUM or only mic recordings and imported audio files?
    Thanks

No AB3 No AUM no Beatmaker 3. Not True IAA nor audio unit. I hate to say this because I enjoyed playing with it and I made a cool video with it

But...No AB3 No AUM no Beatmaker 3. Not True IAA nor audio unit equals LAME!!!!!!

But what's even worse, NO AUDIO SHARE integration. It mentions audioshare but there isn't.

• @SMKArtist,

Regarding Audioshare, I've put the text below on my website. So technically you can load and save from your audioshare audio files. But I realise now that this is not the one-click approach people would expect so I've decided to remove the claim of Audioshare compatibility in the next build. Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the confusion :)

(on https://deltavaudio.com/about/ )
    Audioshare Compatibility:
    As well as iCloud and Dropbox etc., SpaceCraft can optionally load samples and save recordings to and from Audioshare via the Import Sound -> Load Audio File and 'rec' functions. Note that this only works when SpaceCraft is used in standalone fullscreen mode. The Audioshare folder must be accessible from the iOS 'Files' app. You may need to enable Audioshare accessibility by first opening iOS Files app, tapping 'edit' above locations and enabling Audioshare.

• No.....BM3
    No....AUM
    No.... AU
    No.... yawn
    I'm making music - Have 2 ipads running with Spacecraft
    great app - lovin it :)

• edited June 2018

@rafaelollero said:
    Spacecraft Granular is a WINNER

Some of you guys are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too nice.

I really wish you all would be brutal on developers who do not include audioshare integration and proper true IAA when they roll these things out. If you were then developers would get on that more often.

I had so much fun playing with this. and opened up my beat maker and found no Spacecraft app (effects only IAA doesn't count). No Audiobus 3 either.

Anyhow, there is new update to the audioshare problem, you all need to have audioshare open to access your waves through Spacecraft import. Okay, that's better than NOTHING. However, direct to audioshare needs to be part of the next build, along side the true IAA for AB3 AUM and Beatmaker 3 and alike.

• edited June 2018

@SMKArtist said:
    But...No AB3 No AUM no Beatmaker 3. Not True IAA nor audio unit equals LAME!!!!!!

But what's even worse, NO AUDIO SHARE integration. It mentions audioshare but there isn't.

>

Normally, I’d be the first to agree. But this is one of those apps, such good fun to play around with. AudioShare imports fine for me, via Files App. Yes, there are updates needed, starting with saving. AU would also be nice. Though for now I think many of us are happy to give the dev some time, enjoy what he’s done so far, and treat this as a work in progress. :)

• @Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:

>

Oh yes. Bought it via Doug’s link. Hoping this gets even better, but lovely already.

It’s like the old days - app comes out of nowhere, and for the price of a pint you get hours of fun.

@SMKArtist said:

@gsm909 said:
    @rafaelollero @echoopera
    Can it work with live audio in AB3 or AUM or only mic recordings and imported audio files?
    Thanks

No AB3 No AUM no Beatmaker 3. Not True IAA nor audio unit. I hate to say this because I enjoyed playing with it and I made a cool video with it

Load it as an IAA in the effect slot in AUM and it works perfectly.

Not lame, it’s a brilliant little app with masses of potential.

• @deltaVaudio said:
    @SMKArtist,

Regarding Audioshare, I've put the text below on my website. So technically you can load and save from your audioshare audio files. But I realise now that this is not the one-click approach people would expect so I've decided to remove the claim of Audioshare compatibility in the next build. Thanks for the feedback and sorry for the confusion :)

As well as iCloud and Dropbox etc., SpaceCraft can optionally load samples and save recordings to and from Audioshare via the Import Sound -> Load Audio File and 'rec' functions. Note that this only works when SpaceCraft is used in standalone fullscreen mode. The Audioshare folder must be accessible from the iOS 'Files' app. You may need to enable Audioshare accessibility by first opening iOS Files app, tapping 'edit' above locations and enabling Audioshare.

@MonzoPro said:

@Zen210507 said:

@MonzoPro said:

>

It’s like the old days - app comes out of nowhere, and for the price of a pint you get hours of fun.

@SMKArtist said:

@gsm909 said:
    @rafaelollero @echoopera
    Thanks

Load it as an IAA in the effect slot in AUM and it works perfectly.

Not lame, it’s a brilliant little app with masses of potential.

I didn't buy it for an effect, I bought for being an instrument. An instrument to be used in my live set up and for recording. Brilliance is only as good as use. A Bugatti Chiron with no wheels.

• edited June 2018
  • @deltaVaudio said:
    @SMKArtist,

@deltaVaudio, you built something with some great potential. A granular synth with a sequencer is pretty nice. Also it's a sampler. This is great stuff. But you forgot the foundation. I'm glad you posted how to get your audioshare files into your app. Now your answer to me and the rest of the group should have been: "next build Audioshare integration". To say to us that " I've decided to remove the claim of Audioshare compatibility in the next build..", I don't know what to say... I think my heart sank because you chose an easy way out. Like you gave up. Don't you want this instrument you built to be AWESOME? We all can see you have the skill set to do this, so get to it! Build in the audioshare integration. While your at it, this next build also needs to be FULLY IAA for Audiobuse 3, AUM and Beatmaker 3 and alike. Wouldn't you want me and everyone else to use your app as an instrument in our Beatmaker 3 and or AB3 set ups?

Do this right...you will have a sick and amazing app!

• edited June 2018

Ha, thanks SMKA! Yes, I should've said 'i'll simply remove the words "Audioshare" from the app marketing for now until it's working fully' as I have no intention of giving up now. For V1.0 I went for the "minimum viable product" approach, as they say, in order to gauge interest.

Thanks to you and to everybody for the feedback, this thread means a lot!

• edited June 2018