Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's this about? - Spacecraft Granular

Comments

• edited June 2018

Really digging this one...used Zeeon for the sound input. Thanks for the Bus tip @CracklePot worked like a charm :)

• Echo, you are the first real-world non-beta tester I've heard play on this thing. Which is a wonderfully surreal experience for me :smile:

I'm hoping to get a fullscreen mode working with Audiobus, that will allow files to be loaded in-app and also simultaneous blue / pink.

• @CracklePot said:
    Hey @skiphunt
    I bet you would love this app. B)

I’m on it! Thx :)

• It sounds really good and lots of AU parameters are available too. :)
    I think recording is broken for me in apeMatrix though, after recording the AU becomes unresponsive.

• Welcome @deltaVaudio

Snagged this after seeing the ipadloops YouTube vid, big fan of all things granular and looking forward to any future developments.

• @Carnbot said:
    It sounds really good and lots of AU parameters are available too. :)
    I think recording is broken for me in apeMatrix though, after recording the AU becomes unresponsive.

You figured out that you still have to engage playback by touching the main control pad?
    Haven’t tried it in apeMatrix yet, myself.

• Carnbot, Audiobus is not officially supported. If you try to load a file whilst Spacecraft is within an Audiobus GUI, Spacecraft will become unresponsive (sorry, I'm working on this). However, if you only record with the via the mic option it should be fine.

File loading (and saving) should be fine when using Spacecraft as standalone.

I honestly have no idea what will happen if you play with the AU parameters!

• TheVimFuego,

woah! I'm just watching the iPadLoops video now :smile:

• @deltaVaudio said:
    Carnbot, Audiobus is not officially supported. If you try to load a file whilst Spacecraft is within an Audiobus GUI, Spacecraft will become unresponsive (sorry, I'm working on this). However, if you only record with the via the mic option it should be fine.

File loading (and saving) should be fine when using Spacecraft as standalone.

I honestly have no idea what will happen if you play with the AU parameters!

I haven't tried Audiobus yet, just apeMatrix and AUM.

Ok I was pressing the record on the right hand side of the gui, after that it becomes unresponsive for me and I have to restart AUM. The record in the import menu works though :)

Really like the sounds :)

• Aye, if you want file load or file save (the rec button on the right) to work you need to play as standalone app.

Thanks for the feedback!

• And just to clarify, you use the Import Audio button, and built in mic option to sample, even when running it as an AU effect. It just says built in mic, but it will sample your track input.

• That's exactly right. I'll try to communicate that more clearly in-app somehow, thanks CracklePot.

• @deltaVaudio said:
    Thank you all for your feedback! It's very much appreciated and will help me to prioritise features.

echoopera, thanks again for sharing the performances, love it.

I am having a blast with your app! I had fun making a video for it on my youtubes too.

• I am getting another unresponsive thing where sometimes I'm in the lower AU gui but I can't get back to the upper one (in apeMatrix testing) the top arrow stopped working.

Might be worth testing in apeMatrix as there seems to be a few issues in that. Mind you I'm pushing it a bit by sending lots of LFOs to it.

On the plus side you can automate quite a bit with the parameters so far.....all the x/y pads etc :)

• edited June 2018

@deltaVaudio said:

Hello everybody,

Aye, Audiobus compatibility is far from perfect ;) I've added some description to the website. If you find ways of getting it to fit in your workflow or if you have any other issues I'd really appreciate the feedback.

https://deltavaudio.com/about/

"I have not advertised compatibility with Audiobus 3 as the file-load feature currently doesn't work when SpaceCraft is viewed within the Audiobus 3 GUI. However, there is limited Audiobus 3 functionality: if you use SpaceCraft as an effect, the mic record feature (tap the Import Sound button) will capture the audio-in."

I love New Dev Day! Welcome! :heart:

• Thanks djpuzzle, it was great to watch your video.

• Wow two minutes with this app and I’m already in love. There’s something special about the way you interact with the samples on this one.

• edited June 2018

Some problems with freezing import file system from the ipadMusician forum on FB:
    Only two (though good) soundfiles included.
    No preset system or ability to save current projects or way of changing sounds that wouldn't be confusing to most users.

DAVID "Importing sounds seems difficult which would limit its usability. Does anyone understand the file system format for importing your own sounds in SpaceCraft? It doesn't show up in AudioShare as an import destination, and you can't simply click AudioShare in SpaceCraft. No idea currently how to import my many sound files. Worse the app freezes for me when I try to browse the file options that show it under its "import sound" button which so far is a total fail for me."

EVAN "Yeah, having the same problem. Frustrating..."

GUS: "Load it as an AUFX and import live sound using mic is another way (not actually mic input, just whatever’s playing on that channel)."

DAVID: "Can't even yet navigate its file menu without freezing though -how to get back to the original two (ONLY TWO) soundfiles included in the app after recording something?"

EVAN "Yeah, it's a freeze-up mess for me, even within AUM. Hopefully, these glitches will get worked out..."

DAVID "Yea, so far for me the app is "cute" but too buggy for prime time. Fixed or explained it could be as useful in its way as something like Samplr, tardigrain etc."

DAVID "This is why devs need to beta test."

GUS "The dev has joined the Audiobus thread. You should let him know."

To the dev -pretty sure if you simply contact AudioShare you can get the sub-routine which puts an icon of your app in the Import section of AudioShare and AudioShare icon in your own app for the more standard single-click sound-file transfers.

• I like the app, but Is it possible to save a preset?

• This gets better and better the more time you spend! Without a manual it takes a while to figure out what things do, but once you do, SO cool. How about midi input to trigger the “internal keyboard”? And as long we’re talking AU, maybe some of the other controls could be exposed for assigning LFOs to.

I can get this working with AUM, but it doesn’t play well with apeMatrix yet. I’m continuing to experiment with that.

I love the sounds and textures!

• edited June 2018

Hi UrbanNinja, thanks very much for the feedback!

Currently it's meant to be used as a standalone app fullscreen (where everything should work) and use with Audiobus is not yet supported officially, although it kind-of works. In particular, if Spacecraft is running within a host GUI the 'load audio file' and 'rec (file save) buttons will lock the interface, that's why I didn't advertise it as being compatible with Audiobus.

If you go Import Sound -> Load Audio File when using as a standalone app, you should be able to load from iCloud, Dropbox etc.

To get back to the original sound files, restart the app.

Presets are not currently supported Kuhl.

• @Kühl said:
    I like the app, but Is it possible to save a preset?

Not really. It doesn’t work, and could cause a freeze.

So if you want to import some samples you have on your device or wherever, the only way right now is to play them in the input and resample them live in the app. You could use AUM File Player in AUM, or AudioShare in Audiobus. Not sure about apeMatrix, I am laggin’ on that app.

To get the original built-in samples back, close and reopen the app.

• edited June 2018

I’ve experienced a few weird crashes in AUM...but i think it’s a side effect of it not being a true AUv3 app...so I’ll send a follow up email with them...but in the meantime, serious fun is being had with this whole thing.

The fact that i can’t save presets at the moment makes it really feel like an instrument or modular setup...it’s quite liberating to play and gets you in a state of flow once you “get it”.

Best $2.99 I’ve spent in a long while.

• @echoopera said:
    I’ve experienced a few weird crashes in AUM...but i think it’s a side effect of it not being a true AUv3 app...so I’ll send a follow up email with them...but in the meantime, serious fun is being had with this whole thing.

The fact that i can’t save presets at the moment makes it really feel like an instrument or modular setup...it’s quite liberating to play and gets you in a state of flow once you “get it”.

Best $2.99 I’ve spent in a long while.

Exactly which is mostly why I decided to make my video review (thanks for sharing it on twitter!) in standalone mode. I think eventually the app will evolve to much more but it's still loads of fun even in it's current state.

• edited June 2018

Congratulations on the release!

At 3 bucks it is an easy decision to buy the app just to support the developer... So I will pick it up regardless. However, I am curious to know how it might be different or compare to the apps that seem to fit into this ambient / granular category? Does it bring anything new to the table that Borderlands, FieldScaper, iDensity, Tardigrain, etc don't already?

... Couple hours later I come back to this draft and wonder where the time went. Wow!
    This app is great fun.

I can only imagine how AMAZING it would be if there was a way to manipulate the LFO, Filter reverb, and Pich/Ring, and the... Hell, all the controls I guess, with Midi sent from something like Rozeta LFO,

Well done @deltaVaudio

• Love ❤️ this!

• edited June 2018

Hi guys, regarding the Audioshare thing, I should be more precise. If you run Spacecraft as a standalone app and tap Import Sound -> Load Audio File, then you will see the option to load files from Audioshare but only IF you have enabled it in locations in the iOS files app (go to the 'Files' app, tap 'edit' just above locations and enable Audioshare). Also (again, in standalone mode) when saving a recording of your performance using the 'rec' button (top-right), Audioshare will be available as a location to save the file.

What I'm realising now is that this might not be typical way to integrate with Audioshare, so I think it may have been a mistake to simply claim compatibility with Audioshare. Sorry for any misunderstanding and time wasted here.

I'll clarify as a priority in the next release.

• @deltaVaudio said:
    Hi guys, regarding the Audioshare thing, I should be more precise. If you run Spacecraft as a standalone app and tap Import Sound -> Load Audio File, then you will see the option to load files from Audioshare but only IF you have enabled it in locations in the iOS files app (go to the 'Files' app, tap 'edit' just above locations and enable Audioshare).

What I'm realising now is that this might not be typical way to integrate with Audioshare, so I think it may have been a mistake to simply claim compatibility with Audioshare. Sorry for any misunderstanding and time wasted here.

I'll clarify as a priority in the next release.

Honestly, I’ve only played with this app for less than an hour and haven’t found anything confusing at all. Straight forward and intuitive. The built-in info is thorough and to the point. Excellent design and digging the sounds of this.

• @DYMS said:
    Congratulations on the release!

At 3 bucks it is an easy decision to buy the app just to support the developer... So I will pick it up regardless. However, I am curious to know how it might be different or compare to the apps that seem to fit into this ambient / granular category? Does it bring anything new to the table that Borderlands, FieldScaper, iDensity, Tardigrain, etc don't already?

... Couple hours later I come back to this draft and wonder where the time went. Wow!
    This app is great fun.

I can only imagine how AMAZING it would be if there was a way to manipulate the LFO, Filter reverb, and Pich/Ring, and the... Hell, all the controls I guess, with Midi sent from something like Rozeta LFO,

Well done @deltaVaudio

You can manipulate everything in ApeMatrix.

• edited June 2018

@deltaVaudio said:
    If you go Import Sound -> Load Audio File when using as a standalone app, you should be able to load from iCloud, Dropbox etc.

Import Sound -> Load Audio File doesn't lead to a self-evident Dropbox or iCloud option, but a menu with files which if selected freeze the app whether running standalone or in a host, namely:

Applications
    bin
    cores
    dev
    Developer
    etc.
    Library
    private
    sbin
    System
    tmp
    usr]
    var

As remarked (A) this is confusing for most users; (B) the app freezes is you select a file no matter how the app is being used (standalone or host).

While the two soundfiles which come with the app are nice in practical terms the app is of very limited use until/unless imports are possible without freezing and/or there is a clear less confusing method of importing audio files.

@deltaVaudio said:

This, though we might as well add difficulty re, app freezing and confusing menu per Dropbox and Cloud as well as far as I can tell so far.

@deltaVaudio said:
    only IF you have enabled it in locations in the iOS files app (go to the 'Files' app, tap 'edit' just above locations and enable Audioshare).

Leaves anyone using Ios earlier than ios 11 unable to import anything at all?