Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

THOUGHTS ON "CREATION(s)"

When I first came to the forum, not being of a exploratory bent, I pretty much thought it all happened in the General Forum. I was new even to participating in an online forum. I barely knew what a download was ( and whatever it was it sounded depressing). To be honest I never ventured into the Creations category till I had some music to post and then only after I blurted three pieces on the General Forum and promised I wouldn't post anymore there. I didn't even know that the "Discussions" category in the header was everything in every category (well, not the marketplace or tips and tricks). But once I got to the Creations forum I realized two things:

1/ compared to the general forum it was pretty deserted. About four hundred members max view a posting of any iOS created music posting. The newly released album Legal in Fifty States has had over 1k hits, but that is a rare exception. From this I divined there are about 400 active members on this forum, of which less than 50 (25?)post regularly while the rest remain active observers (thanks for being here, guys! We value you).of course this forum is more about technical issues and product discussions, but music is the reason after all is said and done. So my question is: is there anything( if we should do anything) we can do to encourage people to post their music and/or visit that forum so more iOS music is heard and discussed ( there is a Song of the Month Club which is valuable). Opinion?

2/ on posting my latest piece, AyshehAtLast/Turkish jazz, I wound up posting several different mixes/renditions on my way to a better result. I would value very much following this process in the work of other forum members. To see, hear, and discuss the iOS process of others in detail would be extremely interesting and informative for me . If it were my tune I would greatly appreciate advice on how to make my music better. And what better place to do this than in the Creations forum. Check my thread to see a primitive example in action.
Of course I am just one member with one opinion. Anyone could post a series of mixes and ask for comments and advice. Still, I would like to see a discussion on the interest in such a concept. Just the discussion might give members the idea to post their process for their own and others understanding of this fabulous place we create in. Opinions?

Comments

• edited June 2018

Perhaps people don’t have time to listen/answer or don’t like what they hear, or don’t know which advice to give or like to post their own tracks but not listen to others ones?

Internet is a fast thing, truly. This is the way it works. Even most Youtubers musicians or tutorials makers can spend lot of time on their work and don’t have the audience they hope for. Too much material to read, watch and listen but not enough time, the web gives too much stimulation. Cruel world :D

But I agree with the fact that as iOS musicians music is the first goal, apps and devices are only a way to achieve it even if the fun is huge talking about and use them. Even musicians like their tools after all. But what is a tool without the product/creation it has been made for? Do we prefer piano instrument or piano music?

But we need to remember that first internet strength is its users freedom, everybody like this fact and this is good for our lives. Even if from a philosophical point of view, freedom is a huge thing which IMO needs to be learned by each one of us to gives unity to People.

• Put it on YouTube with as backing music to a video of a cat, or someone falling into a river.....

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Put it on YouTube with as backing music to a video of a cat, or someone falling into a river.....

So true :D

• Yep, @AndyPlankton I grok you ( is anyone here old enough to remember that one?)

• @LinearLineman said:
    ... The newly released album Legal in Fifty States has had over 1k hits, but that is a rare exception.

tbh (didn't click it...) I thought it was about weed, probably not the only one ;)
    As mentioned by Andy: click rate is based on visuals - and a truely boring ambient track can be great with some nice landscape passing by.

My deepest respect here is with the contributers to the 'Song if the Month' topic.
    Heard some amazing stuff there, but keep out mostly for lack of time as these tracks use to catch a LOT of my attention.

• edited June 2018

I think a significant proportion of people come to the forum to learn more about apps and how to use them for their own musical goals rather than being particularly interested in other people’s music.

In addition, as has been already pointed out, providing adequate feedback on somebody else’s music or putting yourself out there by posting your own music can require much more of a commitment than talking about app functionality.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Yep, @AndyPlankton I grok you ( is anyone here old enough to remember that one?)

hmmm.... korg is grok spelled backward. coincidence? I think not. [evil grin]

• @Janosax said:
    Perhaps people don’t have time to listen/answer or don’t like what they hear, or don’t know which advice to give or like to post their own tracks but not listen to others ones?

Internet is a fast thing, truly. This is the way it works. Even most Youtubers musicians or tutorials makers can spend lot of time on their work and don’t have the audience they hope for. Too much material to read, watch and listen but not enough time, the web gives too much stimulation. Cruel world :D

But I agree with the fact that as iOS musicians music is the first goal, apps and devices are only a way to achieve it even if the fun is huge talking about and use them. Even musicians like their tools after all. But what is a tool without the product/creation it has been made for? Do we prefer piano instrument or piano music?

But we need to remember that first internet strength is its users freedom, everybody like this fact and this is good for our lives. Even if from a philosophical point of view, freedom is a huge thing which IMO needs to be learned by each one of us to gives unity to People.

Ahh man... I miss the early pre-socmedia days of the web in the 90s when simply making a not that bad looking, mediocre ok dot com website with equally average mediocre mp3s would get you massive traffic/praise and completely fuck up your ego into thinking you were a visionary cyberpunk webstar. Sigh.

• @motmeister Grok is the only Martian word in the English language according to Merriam Webster (love that girl). It was used by the SF writer Robert Heinlein in his novel Strangers in a Strange Land published in 1961. Meaning: to understand deeply. That it spells Korg backwards....

• I think musical tastes and styles vary around here much more than app preferences.
    People don’t seem to mind arguing about apps or workflow, but arguing about musical taste doesn’t seem to benefit anyone. It is such a personal matter, and thankfully people seem to be considerate of others’ feelings in this regard.

Critique and feedback can be good to give and receive, but it has to done in a respectful way, or it turns into a war of opinions. I sense that most of us would rather avoid starting one of those, so only the generally positive comments get made.

Critique is hard to handle when it is your work being critiqued, too. Most of us have experienced this inner discomfort even when receiving constructive, respectful criticism. This probably keeps people from sharing their work. They don’t feel strongly confident about it and expect criticism, so just avoid all that. Even if they feel strongly confident about their work, criticism can kill that very quickly.

Talking about apps is still really fun, and a whole lot safer. I agree with all that @janosax posted earlier, but would add that music apps are not entirely the same as musical instruments, just by considering their interactive nature. Sometimes the app is taking part in the creative process right along with you, and this is a new type of experience that is pretty engaging on its own. Sometimes talk about features and workflow is really creative discussion disguised as tech talk.

• There is tons of amazing well done music that I can’t stand listening to... I mean what the fuck is that about? Hard to give a critique with that at play.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @motmeister Grok is the only Martian word in the English language according to Merriam Webster (love that girl). It was used by the SF writer Robert Heinlein in his novel Strangers in a Strange Land published in 1961. Meaning: to understand deeply. That it spells Korg backwards....

s/Strangers/Stranger/

Just to out-nerd you :)

• @MarkH said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @motmeister Grok is the only Martian word in the English language according to Merriam Webster (love that girl). It was used by the SF writer Robert Heinlein in his novel Strangers in a Strange Land published in 1961. Meaning: to understand deeply. That it spells Korg backwards....

s/Strangers/Stranger/

Just to out-nerd you :)

You definitely have! :)

• @CracklePot yes, I learned a long time ago that there is no good criticism. I guess it is up to an individual to take that plunge. I don't mean looking for discussions on a subjective matter. I mean someone willing to show his or her technical weaknesses (and strengths) for the sake of everyone learning something,

Sometimes the line between criticism of technique and artistic choice blurs. For example, on my posted track, Aysheh At Last, a comment was made there was too much distortion and (I guess)that spoiled the sound or made it difficult to listen to, I agreed, but I was looking for a sound with that edge. I did fail,in
    my own estimation, to find that razor's edge I was looking for. But a case like that is the exception, and pointing out the correct use of distortion does no harm.

@CracklePot spoke privately to me that I needed to get from a recording that sounds like a demo to one that sounds more pro and finished. If that is honestly the case (which it is) and suggestions are made on how to go in that direction I want to hear it (as would many others listening in). Hearing anything negative stings a little at first but,in my case, I would rather get a little slap and be helped then to continue in the wrong direction or miss an opportunity to learn. A slap without the help... Well, I am not that kind of guy! My goal is to make the best possible music I can, enjoy other people who do the same, and have a lot of fun at it. If I can learn to accept some criticism as part of my fun, that is good for my puny ego. but this is strictly voluntary! If you don't want advice on a piece of music just post and don't say anything! In my case, and perhaps for some others, it will be well worth it to just say "Open to technical suggestions" and help myself and everyone on a learning curve to grow as well. Perhaps just saying "open to technical suggestions" sets the stage for such a discussion.

• @MarkH You definitely have!!! "s/Strangers/stranger". What does that mean?

• For example, on my posted track, Aysheh At Last, a comment was made there was too much distortion and (I guess)that spoiled the sound or made it difficult to listen to, I agreed, but I was looking for a sound with that edge. I did fail,in my own estimation, to find that razor's edge I was looking for. But a case like that is the exception, and pointing out the correct use of distortion does no harm.

@LinearLineman that someone was me and I thought you just made a very basic mistake (iirc you mentioned it was all pretty new terrain for you somewhere)
    In fact (for my ears) it was a very unpleasant listening... but never mind, I can stand it. :)

Imho remarks and criticism should be straight and on topic, just avoid personal offending.
    If someone asks for comments, I expect him or her wanting to improve their work/skills, not fishing for compliments.

• Exactly @telefunky. We are in total concord. I knew it was an issue and you were right to point it out as did others, which is why I tried the remix with no overdrive and drums, thus killing two deficiencies with one decibel,

• @CracklePot said:
    I think musical tastes and styles vary around here much more than app preferences.
    People don’t seem to mind arguing about apps or workflow, but arguing about musical taste doesn’t seem to benefit anyone. It is such a personal matter, and thankfully people seem to be considerate of others’ feelings in this regard.

Critique and feedback can be good to give and receive, but it has to done in a respectful way, or it turns into a war of opinions. I sense that most of us would rather avoid starting one of those, so only the generally positive comments get made.

Critique is hard to handle when it is your work being critiqued, too. Most of us have experienced this inner discomfort even when receiving constructive, respectful criticism. This probably keeps people from sharing their work. They don’t feel strongly confident about it and expect criticism, so just avoid all that. Even if they feel strongly confident about their work, criticism can kill that very quickly.

Talking about apps is still really fun, and a whole lot safer. I agree with all that @janosax posted earlier, but would add that music apps are not entirely the same as musical instruments, just by considering their interactive nature. Sometimes the app is taking part in the creative process right along with you, and this is a new type of experience that is pretty engaging on its own. Sometimes talk about features and workflow is really creative discussion disguised as tech talk.

Truly agree with your last statement. I love apps, love use them, think about them, learn to use them, finding new (even pretty complex) workflows. This is part of my music. So you’re right it’s a creative process too when we deeply talk about them.

• Im never sure if people want criticism or encouragement. Personally Im open to both.
    Also I feel my feedback skills aren't the greatest, even if I really like something I find it hard to come up with an original way of saying it so even after much thought my comments sometimes feel lacking in substance.

I find Im most interested in listening when people post some info about their track like what apps they used or what circumstance inspired them.