Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loop containers for apeMatrix using iDensity FX AU

Cool and handy to use the iDensity FX AU as a container to record loops in to. You can connect whatever nodes you want as input into an iDensity FX AU node, and get several going at once with various effects.

One caveat... when you hit the iDensity FX AU mic icon to stop recording, you have to long press in order to save the live feed buffer. If you don’t do it right then, you can’t save it after the fact. Not ideal, but doable, useful and fun. :)

Comments

• Cool tip , thanks for sharing :)
    Although I don’t use iDensity much cause I never managed getting rhythmical results. Would really help some kind of quantization based on tempo for unskilled people like me :tongue:

• edited June 2018

You’ll want to make sure you’re sending enough signal to the iDensity FX AU container. The default tends to be low.

And, if you want your loop to sound the closest to the source, turn width, random length, and length sliders down to zero. Leave the other sliders at default. But, change the envelope setting to “Bartlett”. It’s the envelope icon that’s a triangle with straight sides.

• @skiphunt said:
    You’ll want to make sure you’re sending enough signal to the iDensity FX AU container. The default tends to be low.

And, if you want your loop to sound the closest to the source, turn width, random length, and length sliders down to zero. Leave the other sliders at default. But, change the envelope setting to “Bartlett”. It’s the envelope icon that’s a triangle with straight sides.

Does midi start/stop works when you use the au version ???

I'm not using the au version anymore because of the start/stop issue. It plays forever in the background and unable to record a scrub performance in sync with the midi clock.

• Cool tip, thanks. But seriously, don't we need an AU FX audio looper? Hope the looping experts like @Michael are considering it?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Cool tip, thanks. But seriously, don't we need an AU FX audio looper? Hope the looping experts like @Michael are considering it?

I’ll take one of those Au wav file loopers! being able to have bunch of those running in apeMatrix would be perfect.

• @quantiloop what you think? Big lift?

• @skiphunt said:
    Cool and handy to use the iDensity FX AU as a container to record loops in to. You can connect whatever nodes you want as input into an iDensity FX AU node, and get several going at once with various effects.

One caveat... when you hit the iDensity FX AU mic icon to stop recording, you have to long press in order to save the live feed buffer. If you don’t do it right then, you can’t save it after the fact. Not ideal, but doable, useful and fun. :)

I love it when someone has a random sideways thought and things like this get discovered :) Thanks Skip

• @AndyPlankton said:

@skiphunt said:

I love it when someone has a random sideways thought and things like this get discovered :) Thanks Skip

My pleasure. :) I was hoping that blocs wave could be used, but after experimenting with iDensity's Patch Bay approach, but now within apeMatrix as the grid... I realized the iDensity containers alone could be useful. You can also import samples you've created in other apps via AudioShare, etc.

• edited June 2018

how do you import and load samples into the idensity AU version? All it is showing is 3 built in “quick” samples. there is no option to import samples like the full IAA version

• @eross said:
    how do you import and load samples into the idensity AU version? All it is showing is 3 built in “quick” samples. there is no option to import samples like the full IAA version

It's not as straight forward as would be optimal. But it's easy enough and works.

You just hit the download arrow in the AU samples folder. That will ask if you want to "Copy Samples from iDensity" samples folder. Click "Open". It'll launch the full IAA version's samples folder. From there hit the download arrow/icon at the bottom. You'll see the import box. You can select AudioPaste, Music Library, Doc Picker, AudioShare. Import in your sample to iDensity. Click on your sample and you'll be asked what stream, all streams, copy, mail, doc picker, audioshare, and the last one is "Share with AUv3". Select that one and your imported sample will now show up in your iDensity AU sample folders.

• @skiphunt said:

@eross said:

It's not as straight forward as would be optimal. But it's easy enough and works.

You just hit the download arrow in the AU samples folder. That will ask if you want to "Copy Samples from iDensity" samples folder. Click "Open". It'll launch the full IAA version's samples folder. From there hit the download arrow/icon at the bottom. You'll see the import box. You can select AudioPaste, Music Library, Doc Picker, AudioShare. Import in your sample to iDensity. Click on your sample and you'll be asked what stream, all streams, copy, mail, doc picker, audioshare, and the last one is "Share with AUv3". Select that one and your imported sample will now show up in your iDensity AU sample folders.

excellent thanks for the step by step discription. that helped a lot.

• @skiphunt Very awesome info, my man. Thank you. B)

• @CracklePot said:
    @skiphunt Very awesome info, my man. Thank you. B)

My pleasure. I've got a lot of help and ideas from this forum in the past. Happy to give back. :)

• @skiphunt this is a great trick!

• Im using idensity as an AU in the efx slot in aum with the mic input recording. All works great except i cant figure out how to save that audio file.
    Standalone mode no issues, as a AU no can do. What am i missing?
    -thx

• @breilly said:
    Im using idensity as an AU in the efx slot in aum with the mic input recording. All works great except i cant figure out how to save that audio file.
    -thx

Just record the channel in AUM?

• Ahhh nah i want to save it in a file in Idensity for quick access for another time,
    but thx.

• @skiphunt said:

@breilly said:
    Im using idensity as an AU in the efx slot in aum with the mic input recording. All works great except i cant figure out how to save that audio file.
    -thx

Just record the channel in AUM?

While i got u, the grab audio feature does not work. When i press the mic everything freezes. I have to quit the app and restart. Any issues by u?

• @breilly said:
    Ahhh nah i want to save it in a file in Idensity for quick access for another time,
    but thx.

But once you just record and save in audioshare, you can load it back in from there. If you have apeMatrix, you can record/save there, then share the recording to AU and it’ll be stored there.

I’m not having issues with mic input.