Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Welcome to Bikini Atoll [Facebook Songwriting Challenge]

edited November 2013 in Creations

A friend of mine on Facebook (and in "real life") thought it would be fun to do a weekly songwriting challenge. He asked for suggestions of a theme and style for a song and anyone who wanted could write one and share it. The theme picked was "Bikini Atoll" in the style of "goofy rock". I gave it a try... Here's what I came up with:

Notes: 100% GarageBand production, for better or worse. There were about 25 tracks when I finished. I have to admit that GB works very well and is pretty easy going, but man, it's SOOO frustrating not being able to have full AB/IAA integration. And its effects and mastering abilities are pretty much nil! Anyway, it was a fun experiment, but based on this project I won't be using GB to replace Cubasis or BM2 anytime soon!

Comments welcome. Sorry my singing is kinda rough!

Comments

• Lol! Yes the vocals are a bit dodgy but it's a good tune though! :-)

• Thanks guys. I'd like to redo this using some other tools besides GarageBand... I just picked up Bias so I'm thinking I could get a lot better guitar tone. Maybe.

• I really liked this tune. Bit long perhaps but you had enough lyrics to stay the course. Some lovely sonic moments. Good bounce to it too. Makes me want to delve further into your Soundcloud :-)

• Yeah, this isn't bad at all. A bit long like someone else said, but that's about it. Sounds like there's a compressor on the master that's reacting in weird ways to volume surges too, maybe GB has one by default on the master channel?

• Thanks. Yeah, I noticed the compressor sound myself and don't know why. I made a thread about it, because like you I suspected GB has a default compressor on. I couldn't find any way to disable it... I triple checked that I had no vocal or guitar amp compressor effect on any track. Highly annoying, and the last time I do a complete track in GB.

As for the length... I had no idea it was going to be over 5 minutes long until it was all said and done. Of course the intro is 20+ seconds. It's a simple VCVCBC pattern, but I guess I throw a couple guitar passages in there too that dragged it out. I added the bridge at the last minute but I think it adds a lot to the song, it would be too repetitive without it. Oh well.

Thanks for the feedback!