Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yamaha MD-BT 01 -> Two Keyboards, One iPad

Is it possible to have 2 keyboards send MIDI to a single iPad via Yamaha MD-BT 01? I have it working now, with 1 keyboard on Yamaha MD-BT 01 and one keyboard connected via a Korg PlugKey - but it would be nice to eliminate the MIDI cable.

Overall I am really impressed with the Yamaha MD-BT 01 in my usage so far. I can't detect any lag, it seems very reliable. Really like it.

Comments

• Hey, good idea!
    I've just tried that with two Quiccos (which should behave just like the Yamahas) controlling two different synths, and it basically works. It made me discover a new bug in iProphet however: While in iSem, you can select one of the two BT MIDI ports and just play iSem, iProphet seems to select the BT port by name instead of by unique ID, so although both BT ports are listed separately, no matter which of the two BT MIDI inputs you enable, it will always play.
    So yes, it works, but apparently not every app supports selecting the proper port.
    iSEM and thor worked, iProphet didn't, and in Cassini you cannot even select any individual MIDI input.

• Hmmm, if at least one of your controllers has a standard MIDI in then you could send the other controller's data to that in port using the standard MIDI cable you use with the Plugkey. You could then send it all to your iPad from that first controller with the MD-BT01. It should be manageable provided you can set your controllers to different MIDI channels. You still have a cable in place but just between the two keyboards but not between your keyboard and your iPad.

• edited June 2018

I am pretty sure that theoretically the ipad can handle multiple ones. IIRC, you can go into the Yamaha MDUD-BT01 app and name the multiple adapters to make life easier. Not sure if/how well this works from a practical perspective tho.

• edited June 2018

I have used a setup with four MD BT01s connected to the iPad.

AUM Matrix was the magic dust for routing.

Works well.

Good idea to get the free official Yamaha app so you can rename them all. Only 8 Characters though I believe.

• @Howard said:
    Hmmm, if at least one of your controllers has a standard MIDI in then you could send the other controller's data to that in port using the standard MIDI cable you use with the Plugkey. You could then send it all to your iPad from that first controller with the MD-BT01. It should be manageable provided you can set your controllers to different MIDI channels. You still have a cable in place but just between the two keyboards but not between your keyboard and your iPad.

Hey - that is a good idea I had not thought of - yea the keyboards are on a two keyboard stand

• @MikeyP said:
    I am pretty sure that theoretically the ipad can handle multiple ones. IIRC, you can go into the Yamaha MDUD-BT01 app and name the multiple adapters to make life easier. Not sure if/how well this works from a practical perspective tho.

Yep - I already have the first one named for the keyboard it is connected to (an Ensoniq) so it makes it easy to identify.

• @SpookyZoo said:

Works well.

Good idea to get the free official Yamaha app so you can rename them all. Only 8 Characters though I believe.

Wow - very cool - so you didn't detect any lag while sending 4 streams of wireless midi into an iPad? I am not doing anything that complex - and my midi messages should be simple note on/note off so I am thinking it will hopefully work pretty well for me. Will definitely give it a try - thanks for the info.

• edited June 2018

@HokieKev said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Works well.

Wow - very cool - so you didn't detect any lag while sending 4 streams of wireless midi into an iPad? I am not doing anything that complex - and my midi messages should be simple note on/note off so I am thinking it will hopefully work pretty well for me. Will definitely give it a try - thanks for the info.

It was a setup which had 4 controllers available for instant use rather than all of them sending out data simultaneously.

Let us know how you get on. :)