Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to use multiple IOS devices together? Let us know your ideas and individual setups!

edited June 2018 in Other

Although I own several iOS devices, I only use just one at a time to make music.

I am curious and interested to know what possibilities there are to use several devices at the same time.

Do you use your iPhone and iPad simultaneously and if so, how do you connect them and keep them in sync? Do you use cables, WiFi or Bluetooth? I which situations you welcome additional IOS devices?

I would be happy if you would introduce your multiple IOS setups and explain how they work together.

Any of your ideas, suggestions and advices are welcome. Thank’s a lot for your feedback!

Many greetings from Berlin!

P.S.
I own an iPad Pro 10.5, an iPhone 8 Plus, both with 256gb memory and an iPad Mini 2 (128gb). AB3, AUM and ApeMatrix are installed.

How you would use them together?

Comments

• Man you got the good shit. I have an Air2 and an ancient artifact known as an iPad2.
    They intermingle through my audio device, so I can record all of those cool sources that I am normally not allowed to.
    I am currently exploring a WiFi midi connection between them, but am lost in the middle for now. Too many new apps are coming out, so I have been happily distracted lately.

• To send MIDI between them, you can use Bluetooth. Latency is low. I use ThumbJam on an ancient iPhone as a MIDI controller for my iPad. I sometimes use 2 phones each feeding a different synth on the iPad. I've heard of people running Lemur on an old iPad as a control surface for another.

• @espiegel123 said:
    To send MIDI between them, you can use Bluetooth. Latency is low. I use ThumbJam on an ancient iPhone as a MIDI controller for my iPad. I sometimes use 2 phones each feeding a different synth on the iPad. I've heard of people running Lemur on an old iPad as a control surface for another.

I am trying with MidiDesigner2 pro on the iPad2. Just have to figure out MD2p first. :p
    I do have it working with other apps already. Mostly control/playing surfaces piped through MidiFire WiFi. Chord apps, Orphion, etc.

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:
    To send MIDI between them, you can use Bluetooth. Latency is low. I use ThumbJam on an ancient iPhone as a MIDI controller for my iPad. I sometimes use 2 phones each feeding a different synth on the iPad. I've heard of people running Lemur on an old iPad as a control surface for another.

I am trying with MidiDesigner2 pro on the iPad2. Just have to figure out MD2p first. :p
    I do have it working with other apps already. Mostly control/playing surfaces piped through MidiFire WiFi. Chord apps, Orphion, etc.

So can you by any chance use mididesigner2 pro to send sysex? Could I create my own midi control for my Casio CZ-1? The midiquest template cost a ridiculous 55 euro! CZ touch cost about 33 euro. For cheaper I could maybe just get MidiDesigner2 and have all the other functions it offers.

Update: i bought CZ Touch, price very high but my willpower is very low. It cost 22 euro for just the CZ-1 only version.

• edited June 2018

Between my laptop and iPhone I use Behringer UCA222 which has surprisingly good sound for its price. It can be used both ways, laptop to iPhone or iPhone to laptop, using CCK3 and rca to jack wire. I also use that setup for my video tutorials for recording iPhone 1 audio to iPhone 2 video. This works pretty good. Ableton Link all the way for apps sync, it’s so reliable!! Haven’t test yet midi over Bluetooth for that kind of applications.

• I use an iConnectMidi4+ interface ., which will easily cover letting me use my iPhone 6s / Air 2 and iPad Pro 2 together if the notion ever tempts me. So far I've only used it to connect my windows 10 desktop , Macbook Pro and iPad Pro together, allowing me to do as simple or complex routing as I want to all my midi controllers, and also pass audio and midi back and forth between the 2 computers and ipad.

• @theinvisibleman said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

So can you by any chance use mididesigner2 pro to send sysex? Could I create my own midi control for my Casio CZ-1? The midiquest template cost a ridiculous 55 euro! CZ touch cost about 33 euro. For cheaper I could maybe just get MidiDesigner2 and have all the other functions it offers.

Update: i bought CZ Touch, price very high but my willpower is very low. It cost 22 euro for just the CZ-1 only version.

I am not sure, but I can look into it if you are still interested. Maybe not now that you bought CZ Touch?

• @CracklePot said:

@theinvisibleman said:

@CracklePot said:

@espiegel123 said:

I am not sure, but I can look into it if you are still interested. Maybe not now that you bought CZ Touch?

No thanks mate 😊

• I had some fun using multiple iPads, each with its own hardware MIDI interface, to one MIDI notes and clock source, like the Digitakt, Electribe or Yamaha RM1x, using a MIDI thru box.
    What's great to have is instant access to all synths, groove boxes and/or DAWs running simultaneously, allowing for easy live tweaking. It's also a no-brainer to swap and of the sources or destinations and just continue jamming.
    I once used a stereo rack mixer to sum all audio outs, now I'm just using an 8-channel USB interface for the monitor mix to be able to record them in Ableton Live as well, whenever I feel like it.

• edited June 2018

By the way, we'll soon be able to welcome a new MIDI-Clock-Slave-Sync capable app for this kind of setup: Groove Rider! :)
    Jim Pavloff has recently announced that he will add MIDI clock sync to GR-16, which is fantastic because it opens up the world of using it together with "real hardware" as a clock slave :smile:

• @rs2000 said:
    I had some fun using multiple iPads, each with its own hardware MIDI interface, to one MIDI notes and clock source, like the Digitakt, Electribe or Yamaha RM1x, using a MIDI thru box.
    What's great to have is instant access to all synths, groove boxes and/or DAWs running simultaneously, allowing for easy live tweaking. It's also a no-brainer to swap and of the sources or destinations and just continue jamming.
    I once used a stereo rack mixer to sum all audio outs, now I'm just using an 8-channel USB interface for the monitor mix to be able to record them in Ableton Live as well, whenever I feel like it.

That sounds sooooo fun. :)

What is the largest number of iPads you ever had working together at once?
    I am having fun with just two, but if I could afford as many as I needed or wanted, who knows, maybe like 6-8, or even 12.

I also imagine each one having there own isolated amplification, as opposed to them all running through a sound system to stereo. I imagine it would be more like a group of individual instruments playing in front of an audience, as opposed to the audience standing in front of a loud stereo system.

• @CracklePot said:

@rs2000 said:
    I had some fun using multiple iPads, each with its own hardware MIDI interface, to one MIDI notes and clock source, like the Digitakt, Electribe or Yamaha RM1x, using a MIDI thru box.

That sounds sooooo fun. :)

What is the largest number of iPads you ever had working together at once?
    I am having fun with just two, but if I could afford as many as I needed or wanted, who knows, maybe like 6-8, or even 12.

I've tried four, because the thru box has 4 ports ;)
    I could add a fifth one via USB when using the Digitakt but at some point I felt it was enough.
    The Groove box does drums, bass and a maybe an additional synth line or effect, while more synth lines, chords, samples and (sliced) breakbeats come from the iPads.
    I've had the most fun with apps that sound great, can be tweaked fast and that have large enough touch controls.
    It's also fun because I can just run a different app for one MIDI channel like I would load a different VSTi/AU on a desktop DAW, but with hands-on control.

I also imagine each one having there own isolated amplification, as opposed to them all running through a sound system to stereo. I imagine it would be more like a group of individual instruments playing in front of an audience, as opposed to the audience standing in front of a loud stereo system.

That sounds like an interesting new experiment :)

• My setup is in chain
    Keyboard connected by Midi cable to Alesis IO Dock ( Ipad Air 2)
    Alesis IO dock usb connected to USB Hub
    Usb Hub connected with CCK3 to Ipad Air
    I can include an Iphone connecting from the USB Hub thorugh different means ( midi out Alesis IO Dock to Irig Midi or from USB Hub —> usb to usb Midi adaptor + female female midi socket + Irig Midi

• Don't forget AudioBus' little brother Audiobus remote! Maybe also Sidecar (by the Infinite looper guy).
    Besides Thumbjam and Soundprism there is TC-Data and AC Sabre. All good thumb controllers you can use on your phone whilst you iPad receives and records.

Get to waving and fingering.

• Checkout Electronisounds on YouTube. He’s the multiple iPad wizard