Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midiflow - MF Adapter not working properly with MF splitter

I have MF Adapter as I use hardware and run that through original Midiflow as I manipulate some data in there, some of which cannot be done with any of the new Midiflow apps. I then try to connect that app to AB3’s MIDI function but need Midiflow Adapter to do that. I assumed I could use that with MF Splitter however Splitter doesn’t treat MF Adapter the same as any other MDI input app as it creates two separate input devices which then go to the two separate apps rather that one device going to two apps. The best part of MF Splitter is having one device go to multiple apps so that you can create multiple zones and split points. Has anyone figured out a way to get this to work?

I have, of course, reported it to Midiflow but unfortunately they were unresponsive.

Comments

• I have a little test set up, and it works.
    I have AUM keyboard going into MF Adapter.
    MF Adapter going into MF splitter. Two regions in MF splitter.
    One region going to Phasemaker, the other going to Poison 202.

I am not sure what you are doing in the original Midiflow though. Maybe that is causing the problem, or maybe how you have it all connected in Audiobus. Maybe post some screenshots of your AB setup, and Midiflow Settings. I can see if I can help you root out the problem.

• Thanks, CracklePot. I don’t think Midiflow original is the issue because it’s not the sending of MIDI data that s in issue. I set up two MIDI routes in AB3 as is done in this video from Midiflow which then sets up the two apps and zones on one keyboard in MF Splitter. When I then switch the to inputs to MF Adapter I end up with two separate keyboards which can be split but each keyboard the ends up with its own split point and zones.

Do you set up two midi routes in AB3 with MF Adapter as the MIDI input and do you end up with one or two keyboards in MF Splitter? I will post my pics but first I thought I would see if ask these questions. Thanks again.

• Maybe @JohannesD could help ?

• @Howard said:
    Thanks, CracklePot. I don’t think Midiflow original is the issue because it’s not the sending of MIDI data that s in issue. I set up two MIDI routes in AB3 as is done in this video from Midiflow which then sets up the two apps and zones on one keyboard in MF Splitter. When I then switch the to inputs to MF Adapter I end up with two separate keyboards which can be split but each keyboard the ends up with its own split point and zones.

Do you set up two midi routes in AB3 with MF Adapter as the MIDI input and do you end up with one or two keyboards in MF Splitter? I will post my pics but first I thought I would see if ask these questions. Thanks again.

Hi Howard. Sorry, been out all day with the family. :)

So I just have AUM running with the KB send to MF Adapter on a single port and a single channel.
    In Audiobus, this is my midi setup.

If I open either MF Adapter, this is what I see.

If I open either MF Splitter, this is what I see.

I think if you use a single MF Adapter port, all the different connected MF FX types will function together as if the were the same instance. When you connect to second MF Adapter port, it creates a separate path with its own instances of MF FX.
    You can set these up differently from the ones in the first path as they will not be connected in any way, unless you start to connect them up manually.

So from my understanding, each MF Adapter port, and hence pathway, will spawn its own set of MF FX plugins. If you want to split the KB, use the single input port and then send the splits out to different channels, or different ports AND channels if your setup requires that level of complexity.

• Thanks for that reply, CracklePot. It seems you are also getting two keyboards in MF Splitter for your one MF Adapter just as I had originally posted. I hoped that MF Adapter would show up as one keyboard similar to how it functions in that demo video from MidiFlow. I agree that of course I can manually set up each of the two paths to match but I had hoped they would be connected and work automatically as they do it seems with every other input I have tried to use with MF Splitter. I appreciate that the may not want to connect separate ports onto one path but I would think that anytime you are using two or more routes with the same port all running into MF Splitter that it would be best that they appear with one keyboard inside of MF Splitter.

Also, it is not that my set up is complex. Like you, I would like to just have a split although I may want to move the split point and would prefer to NOT have to do that task twice and risk creating different split points.

• @Howard I see what you mean now. I think it must be setup this way so you can set up overlapping zones for different outputs. I agree, a single KB option would make it easier to setup the simple split scenario. Well, at least you can see all the relative KBs and their splits all in the same window. Otherwise it could be difficult to remember where all the splits are supposed to be.

• edited June 2018

You can set up overlapping zones on one keyboard as well by setting up 3 zones and turning on, for example, zones 1 & 2 for layer 1 and then zones 2 & 3 for layer 2. That’s how it works on other apps that are used as inputs. For some reason it treats MF Adapter differently which is why I started this thread. Interestingly, if you look at the introductory video for MF Splitter you will see at 4:28 in the video that he deals with a similar problem in MF Keyboard which also shows up twice when you open two instances in the AB3 MIDI panel and in that case he has a fix which lets MF Splitter know to treat the two instances of MF Keyboard as one. I guess I would prefer that we had that same option for MF Adapter.

I also just noticed another oddity with MF Splitter in that the MIDI learn function applies to each keyboard or path but what if that isn’t what you want? I don’t think you can use MIDI learn to set the overlapping split points for the two keyboards that are created by using MF Adapter in MF Splitter which you mentioned. You can set them manually of course but not using the MIDI learn function.

Anyhow, I like having these MIDI utilities but wish Midiflow would respond to the email I had originally sent or perhaps responded here.