Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do I mute mic input if I have to allow mic access for functional compatibility?

Many of us are familiar with the audio bug that requires you to have mic input turned on in order for apps to work in hosts like Auria and AUM.

However, I don’t ever want mic input in my mix. I can’t sing, and I my studio is outside a busy street with car doors, slamming, car alarms, etc.

Yet some apps, e.g. Crystalline, insist on mixing mic input. Does anyone have this problem? How you deal with it?

Comments

• You can go in to ipad settings and each individual app and turn off the mic.

@johnfromberkeley said:
    Many of us are familiar with the audio bug that requires you to have mic input turned on in order for apps to work in hosts like Auria and AUM.

However, I don’t ever want mic input in my mix. I can’t sing, and I my studio is outside a busy street with car doors, slamming, car alarms, etc.

Yet some apps, e.g. Crystalline, insist on mixing mic input. Does anyone have this problem? How you deal with it?

• Crystalline (or any fx app) will replace the 'mic' with anything that's in their audiopath on input 1/2, so there is no microphone interference even if you're completely onboard.
    (at least I never had to care about the internal mic in this context)

• @Telefunky said:
    Crystalline (or any fx app) will replace the 'mic' with anything that's in their audiopath on input 1/2, so there is no microphone interference even if you're completely onboard.

Thanks, I’ll try that. I can’t always figure out how to specify that input (and, when I tried it in Crystalling just now, I still had outside noise.)

I was just using Crystalling as an example. There are a lot of apps that let the device mic noise through without an obvious way to mute it. It’s a tautological puzzle. I need to allow mic input to use the app. But I don’t want outside noise, so I turn off mic input. But, I need to allow mic input to use the app…

It actually comes up a lot for me in varied circumstances, but there is always a “culprit” app that I can identify, and force quit.

• @Bootsy said:
    You can go in to ipad settings and each individual app and turn off the mic.

But then it won’t work in a host, so it’s useless.

• you might use Crystalline in the Audiobus fx (middle position), or in an insert in AUM.
    Same for other effects or apps, but some in fact don't support Audiobus or IAA.

• How about opening AudioShare and turning the mic level all the way down?
    Seems like it would work, but you are going to have to try it in your particular setup.
    I don’t have all the necessary components.

• @Telefunky said:
    Crystalline (or any fx app) will replace the 'mic' with anything that's in their audiopath on input 1/2, so there is no microphone interference even if you're completely onboard.

Ditto

• edited June 2018

Allowing an app to “Access the microphone” does not mean that the actual mic will be enabled. It just grants the app system access to iOS audio streams. You have to select “OK” or the app simply won’t work. This is true of any audio effect app on iOS.

When an app is used as an audio effect, it is up to the host app (AUM, AB, any DAW) to determine what the input signal is. You can always decide whether you want mic input or not.

For example:

The only reason to select “don’t allow” is if you don’t want to use that particular app for audio... in which case, why did you buy it? :lol: