Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rozeta Conundrum (AU MIDI in BM3)

I'm struggling with a dilemma, guys.

BM3 was one of the first hosts to support Rozeta/AU MIDI plugins, but its implementation is different from how the other hosts do it. Currently Rozeta uses a "hack" to detect BM3 and changes its timing logic accordingly to work around the bug.

However, other hosts are currently also adding AU MIDI support, and the hack is starting to interfere with their functionality too. So I may have to (and really should) remove the hack. The consequence of this is that Rozeta plugins in BM3 will start to behave unpredictably until BM3.1 drops (the fixed timing behavior is already in the 3.1 beta).

But nobody knows when Intua will launch the 3.1 update.

Which puts me in a difficult position. I do not want to sabotage any ongoing music projects which use Rozeta in BM3 for an unknown period of time, but I also do not want to sabotage the release and development of other iOS hosts.

Any thought from your side?

Comments

• You have to change with what you think is best for your app. Projects can be backed up and saved give a weeks notice and change.

• If there's only one other host (BM3) that requires a 'hack' to work while the others do not I'd say remove the 'hack'.

Alternate way would be to add a 'hack on/off' switch in the system preferences but that would require more work and would become redundant when the update eventually surfaces.

I mostly use the Rozeta plug-ins in Cubasis, AUM or apeMatrix since I'm not overly thrilled with the way BM3 handles midi-routing for now.

• I use bm3 primarily, but I think that you need to do what is best for the development. Forward progress is best, if intua cannot keep up, then we will survive.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    You have to change with what you think is best for your app. Projects can be backed up and saved give a weeks notice and change.

The above seems fair. @brambos - thanks for reaching out. I don't suppose you can contact Intua to get anything more definite - you must have already tried...

• Definitely remove the hack.....BM3 users, as long as they are aware of the consequences, can hold off on Rozeta updates until the BM3 release is out.

• edited June 2018

Agree with the posts above.

Edit: I think most people that use iOS for production understand that new standards will continue to evolve as they are adopted, implemented, and deployed by developers. The process necessarily entails dealing with “catching up” given different deployment timelines and priorities.

Or we could just demand all developers adopt Agile which of course would solve eeeeeverything. Yessir.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Definitely remove the hack.....BM3 users, as long as they are aware of the consequences, can hold off on Rozeta updates until the BM3 release is out.

fully agree

• edited June 2018

Put an announcement out here and on the bm3 forum explaining everything, and that you will be updating your app removing the hack in 1-2 weeks. Alongside that contact Intua saying that’s what you will be doing, and then it’s up to them to action what they see fit. They could perhaps release a maintenance update prior to 3.1 with the fix for this, if they don’t feel ready for the full 3.1 release. It’s really their issue not yours, despite you being very accommodating.

• Yes remove the hack and let BM3 users refrain from updating if they want to by informing in release notes :)

• Everyone is specularing that the BM3 update is inminente, thats very exciting. On topic, I agree with the sentiment here. Im sure you have tried to contact Mat. Announce on the bm3 forum and remove the hack, where standards exist its wise to follow.

I suppose some people (those that are maybe focused more on making music rather than keeping up to date on the tech) have automatic updates selected and the worry is that these people who dont read the forums and dont read the update description will be left with a bm3 that wont work and not be able to complete a project. I see the delimna.

Hack on/off button or setting sounds good but you still have to decide what the default setting will be :'(

• Remove the hack.

As for the BM3 update... ...

• Agree with everyone's comments here! Like @Samu I cannot use Rozeta with BM3, I'm not a fan of how they play together.

• Just give a clear “warning read below” at the top of the update. I usually get a couple lines before clicking “read more”. I’m still mad at Positive Grid for their sneaky mess up your app in Bias amp with no warning and then also with no warning give us $15 more after we messed it up in hopes of having something better. I’m guessing you won’t be doing any of that.

• I agree with what other people have said. Just post a heads up on the beatmaker 3 forums, mention it in bold in the patch notes and remove the hack.

• Thanks for the understanding, people! :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @brambos Way to go for thinking of the folks here and asking around before just yanking functionality. I can't remember the amount of times I've seen people frustrated here because the update changed the functionality and ruined folks projects - LoFly Tape most recently comes to mind.

Just want to recognize the forethought here on Bram's part - super duper, extra cool of him. Thanks for everything, Bram!

• Do the right thing. It is Intua who need to fix their code. If they don't then all their loyal fans will hopefully tell them.

• For a moment there I thought that you'd come up with a new app in the Rozeta suite. :)
    But, I agree with the others, remove the hack.

• People should know not to update in the middle of a project. Do what's best for Rozeta overall.

• I agree with the hack removal. BM3 users should get adequate warning not to update. BM3 update is definitely in the works, so it is just a temporary issue for BM3 users.

And couldn’t they just use AUM to send the updated Rozeta data to non-updated BM3 for now, if they really need the Rozeta update?

• @lasselu said:
    For a moment there I thought that you'd come up with a new app in the Rozeta suite. :)

Same. Rozeta Conundrum sounds absolutely natural for a new plugin. :)

+1 to what others said. Was good of you to add the work around in the first place.

• It was the possibility of the new “Rozeta Conundrum” that got me to read the thread. 😳

Bram, you’re so conscientious that I would have defended your choice no matter what it was.

• I thought it was a new app too - ‘the bugger’s released a step sequencer the day after I bought Steppolyarp!’

+1 in removing the hack, give BM3 users notice and they can hold off on the update.

• Remove the hack! BM3 needs to get it together!

• BM3 is my main “DAW” but I’d say remove the hack. Too many other players in the game would lose. Props for being so considerate!

• Easy. The bm3 users can wait with updating Rozeta until bm3.1 :smile: