Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Glissando vs. Portamento

Do you know the difference?
I thought it was two terms for the same thing, arising from different language origins.
Recently discovered they are actually two different techniques.
I am still not sure, but they way I understand it is Glissando is more of a note bend, while Portamento is more of a slide between notes.
Does this sound about right?

I had to do some research because it is labeled differently on different synths, and I think I have even seen both on a synth before, so I figured there might be more to it. Turns out there is.

Comments

• I think of the portamento attribute as being a permanent use of glissando's between any 2 consecutive notes being played.

For most cases the glissando is selectively applied in a given instrument's part between 2 start and end notes. It can also be called a "slide" between 2 notes especially on a trombone, stringed instrument without frets, slide whistle, thermin or the tympani drum using a pedal to change the pitch but only in narrow pitch ranges of about a 4th I think.. But a composer can ask any player to perform a glissando between starting and end notes notating the start and end time in the score and the player's part.

For most instruments that's a carefully timed chromatic scale run up or down.

• In practice I've noticed that 'glissando' glides in whole/semi-tone intervals while portamento 'glides' more smoothly?! I bet there's a lot better explanation out there on the interwebs...

• @Samu perfectly good explanation and @McDtracy nailed it.
    I could tell you to play a glissando up the entire keyboard and to put “plenty of portamento on it” or none at all.
    In piano theory I was told to think of it as: a glissando could still be a little static between notes if wanted, with portamneto you’re really working to smooth off the intervals.
    That way someone can get the message across to a perormer..or a synth :)

Glissando is overall movement, portamento is micro movement might be another analogy.

• Glissando is playing the notes in between (either in a scale or every semitone), portamento is a smooth pitch change from one note to another. An instrument like a harp can do glissandos but not portamento, a trombone can do portamento (probably called a slide on that) but not a glissando, at least not easily. At least that is my understanding.

• Ok. I think it is becoming clearer.

You could Portamento on a fretless bass, but only Glissando on a fretted one.

Glissando is like digital with micro, discrete values.
    Portamento is like analog, all smooth and continuous.

You may hear a zipper effect on a Glissando, but never a Portamento.

I think my original thought with bends and slides was still off. Thank you for the help, awesome foursome ( @McDtracy @Samu @EDB @PhilW ). B)

• I always assumed that glissando was the musical term (meaning originating from classical music) and that portamento was a synthesizer/electronics term. I see them used interchangeably a lot, but when I hear glissando I think of running my fingers up or down the length of a piano.

• @CracklePot said:
    Ok. I think it is becoming clearer.

You could portamento somewhat on a fretted bass using pitch bend.....just when you thought you had it nailed :lol:

From reading these descriptions I want to describe it as Glissando is chromatic scale locked...portamento isn't

• @AndyPlankton said:

@CracklePot said:
    Ok. I think it is becoming clearer.

You could portamento somewhat on a fretted bass using pitch bend.....just when you thought you had it nailed :lol:

From reading these descriptions I want to describe it as Glissando is chromatic scale locked...portamento isn't

But then I might break a nail! Seems too risky. :D

• @PhilW said:
    Glissando is playing the notes in between (either in a scale or every semitone), portamento is a smooth pitch change from one note to another. An instrument like a harp can do glissandos but not portamento, a trombone can do portamento (probably called a slide on that) but not a glissando, at least not easily. At least that is my understanding.

Never knew this. Good stuff!