Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A crazy 3 Cells + Samplist vocal sampler in AUM

An experiment to help my learning, here’s what I learnt.

Challenge;
I was determined to sequence vocal samples from multiple sources in AUM using Samplist cause I think it’s great and wanted to be daw free.

It sounded like a good idea at first but its been a pain in the arse seeing as I’ve only just started digital music.
And so I present to you my Frankenstein’s monster of a thing using 3 Rozeta Cells to trigger a giant sample in Samplist which itself was made in AudioShare after all the slices were first cut in Samplist...

This is a test loop with Sector and Poison running for a bit of background interest. The vocal loop will run forever with a little slipping in the vocals to add some spice.
It works...kinda. It’s a pain to edit or incert anything but you can get a surprising amount out of it (thx devs xx) and I’ve learnt loads while at it.

This was all a learning exercise and experiment and I’ve posted in the hopes you guys can come up with a lot of suggestions for apps I’m missing re the fx channel, levels, better ways of doing....everything really. Open and hoping for all tech related criticisms etc. Especially around long samples sequencing in AUM :'(

Thanks guys and happy tuning

Comments

• Oh man, the anticipation build up was killing me. Waiting for you to push play! :D
    But holy moly was it worth the wait! That sounded pretty fantastic to me.
    You have a ton of talent, bud. Keep it up.

I would be into having some long conversations about production, FX, workflow, apps, whatever. I am always around here, so let’s talk. B)

• Superb! And thanks @CracklePot glad you liked it :* there’s tons missing but I’m happy I got the basic musical pint across.
    Missing loads structurally now I’ve the basic idea - drum overlays in rusemaker or maybe drumPpro for that live amen/4hero feel.

Buuut how to or is it too much in AUM is I guess my biggest question atm. Should this be in the daw pile and something else for AUM just so I don’t go crazy trying to force a square peg.

Being able to say “ok I wanna add at least another ton a bars infront of this for now” seems easier in a daw but...more fun in aum.

I think my first pressing question is a solution to Sector sounding low but hitting red on the dB all the time. I still that a Maxima fix?

Everyone feel free to weigh in, much appreciated - I know nothing

• EDBEDB
    edited June 2018

It’s missing the lush opening synths with the eerie vocals, the fat “whooooomp” of a bone shaking 808 emulating bass oh the tiny hi hats...sooon my children, soon (ty Thor).

Buuuut, yeah too much for aum and give it up as a bad job and daw it?

• Wow! Vocal parts are excellent imho. My poor english doesn’t help to understand everything so have you sung all of them? How did you record them?

• EDBEDB
    edited June 2018

@Kitusai It’s a purchased accapella from Hospital Records.

https://www.hospitalrecords.com/shop/release/various-artists/nhs321-hospital-accapellas-vol-ii

Edit: and thanks @Kitusai feels good to know I’m on the right direction thumbs up

• @alexbuga @brambos
    Sorry to invoke you guys, was hoping you could let me know if this (Cells + samplist) is the worst way to do what I did.
    I couldn’t find a way to tell Samplist to simply sustain a sample until it was told not to. So I had to pack Cells with tons of steps at 125% gate so the note would overplay each sample and continue for the length of the sample clip. Otherwise the sample cuts out without playing through.

Much appreciated if you could take a look and point out any obvious mistakes (and anyone else reading) I’ve made.

A big thanks to you guys for making something even an idiot like me can make music with!

• Imaginative, well produced work, EDB. :) A great example of what is possible for those who can get Sector to record under AUM. ;)

• @Zen210507 I wanted to link it in the other thread but could see it might be rubbing salt by “Hey Zen, here’s Sector working, hope it helps” :|

Hope it gets fixed for you cause I wanna hear what you’ve got it doing ;)

• edited June 2018

@EDB said:
    Hope it gets fixed for you cause I wanna hear what you’ve got it doing ;)

>

What I had it doing, was for an RTM song on the next album. The song is based on an interview by the late actor Nichol Williamson, about his affair with former Jagger girlfriend Marianne Faithful.

But what I got from Sector - eventually - may not make it into the final mid. :)

• _ki_ki
    edited June 2018

Really enjoyed your track and i am eagerly waiting for the next iteration :)

Instead of Cells playing lots of overlapping short notes you could have either used BeatHawk’s pattern piano roll to drive samplist, or even import the sliced vocal samples into BeatHawk and then use the piano roll. You could use more than 16 samples if BeatHawk is loaded as several AU instances. BH offers 16 sections with 16 pads/tracks of variable length each that can be arranged into a song. There are still some quirks and BH is not perfect, but i use it for sequencing parts in AUM.

Or perhaps use StepPolyArp Unit as midi sequencer for samplist.

• I'll be damned! This is so good :open_mouth:

• EDBEDB
    edited June 2018

Thanks guys, glad everyone’s liking the sketch o:)

@_ki I’d bought Beathawk with that in mind, excited to know it should work and thanks for dropping a fix.

@Zen210507 that sounds really good, I imagine snippets of controversial quotes peppered through a track by Sector. I was thinking something similar with film samples the way old jungle tunes would base a track around film samples. The ‘ya badboy’ sample in this post is a sketch of that idea and I want to do a Predator sample based track....eventually.

Good stuff guys, nice one superstars

• Very good!

• Ty @theconnactic much appreciated

• Really enjoyed the music :smile: