Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do you ever feel defeated by music?

2»

Comments

• There is nothing to finish. Everything that can exist already exists. It's all equally beautiful and equally ugly.

• The only thing worse than not being in a band is being in a band. And vice versa.

• Also to be considered, is that everyone is a critic. :) Some folk are genuinely trying to help, others just like having a pop. But only you can make your music. Indeed, making someone elses’s music is rather pointless.

The reason RTM never contribute anything to ‘Song of the Month’ is because by the time anything we do is done, it is already be polished to the best of whatever ability we have. There wil always be people who can do this or that thing better, or write better songs. But we’re not doing it for them, we’re trying to please ourselves, and if others like it too, then that is a great bonus.

So, in the words of the mighty Fleetwood Mac ‘go your own way’ but ignore the next line of the song. You don’t have to call it another lonely day (musically) ‘cause you have here, and you have us.

• Thanks for the support, everyone. Some days are more of a struggle than others, of course.

• PS -

Check out this mash up, guaranteed pick me up.

https://youtu.be/udjV1Udvrl4

• Nice - I dig both those tunes. Amazing how some things work so well together unintentionally....

This is the one mashup I keep coming back to:

• @Zen210507 said:
    … please ourselves, …

Frankie Howerd

• Creativity and output ebs and flows. If you are having fun do it, if not take a break and concentrate on something else and eventually you will circle around. For many years i wrote and produced and searched out player in all veins and instruments, and labored over mixes etc and then moved on. About 8 montha ago i stooped all that and have not made any “songs”, just jams that i document with my videos and youtube channel, and that keeps me happy and motivated. At some point i’ll switch gears again.

What defeats me is when i see a “true genius” musician at work, i feel like “what the hell am i even trying to do?”. But that passes.

• I feal defeated by music most days. well not just so much the music, but finding time to make music. By the end of the day after working all day at a bodyshop,
    kids sports or and school, getting dinner and putting kids to bed. It hard to find the physical and mental energy left to create. However i still can’t resist the need to create music/ sound design. Many nights my wife wakes me up, because I fall asleep at my computer working on music. It’s a constant battle. but I keep plugging on hoping to be able to do it full time some day. I guess that is the thing...... just keep going, because those days when it does work, it is extremely rewarding.

• @eross said:
    I feal defeated by music most days. well not just so much the music, but finding time to make music. By the end of the day after working all day at a bodyshop,
    kids sports or and school, getting dinner and putting kids to bed. It hard to find the physical and mental energy left to create. However i still can’t resist the need to create music/ sound design. Many nights my wife wakes me up, because I fall asleep at my computer working on music. It’s a constant battle. but I keep plugging on hoping to be able to do it full time some day. I guess that is the thing...... just keep going, because those days when it does work, it is extremely rewarding.

I'm right there with you - my brain is soup most evenings after work and the whole dinner time/bedtime routines... I end up sitting and staring at the screen blankly.

• @Daveypoo said:

@eross said:
    I feal defeated by music most days. well not just so much the music, but finding time to make music. By the end of the day after working all day at a bodyshop,

I'm right there with you - my brain is soup most evenings after work and the whole dinner time/bedtime routines... I end up sitting and staring at the screen blankly.

:p yep, and waking up with an arpeggiator cycling in my headphones. that’s always disorienting when you wake up. lol

• @eross said:

@Daveypoo said:

@eross said:

:p yep, and waking up with an arpeggiator cycling in my headphones. that’s always disorienting when you wake up. lol

So after all the BS in the last few days I took some time tonight to just play.

Played my new Ravenscroft piano.

Played my new apeMatrix

Played my old iPolySix (LOVE that synth)

Played my old Neo-Soul Keys Studio

Had a blast. Not fully healed but definitely feel better. Now let's fall asleep in front of the TV!!!

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @vpich said:
    What defeats me is when i see a “true genius” musician at work, i feel like “what the hell am i even trying to do?”. But that passes.

>

I maintain that there are very many absolutely brilliant musicians/ music makers out there (and in here) but only three, maybe four who were/ are actual genius level.

But whatever they do is just a source of inspiration. There would be no point in replicating a lesser version of what they do, and by their nature, there is no competing with such people. So no problem. :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @CracklePot said:
    Dave, at times like this music is your best friend.
    But like a dear friend, music resents your efforts to trap and control it.
    Set it free. It is pure energy. It will lead you back to your balanced state.

My point is music is therapeutic as an experience, but trying to fashion it as a product can turn that experience into a negative, frustrating one. Just try making some music in the moment, and see if it helps.

If that is too abstract...
    Just kick out the fucking jams, man. B)

Also don't forget that music isn't just there to be made..it is there to be listened to as well ;)

• @Daveypoo said:
    Thanks, @brambos. I struggle with this all the time - my desire to be perceived as a "legitimate" whatever-it-is: musician, engineer, producer, sound designer, instructor, vlogger, etc. For so long I wanted music to be my livelihood, but the older I get the more the industry I grew up idolizing doesn't exist/work the same way. I tried for so many years to "make it" but of course didn't get there. So I'm ok with all of that...

It's this stupidly high standard I have for my own releases. I don't have any desire for money from this - I dropped that thought eons ago. But of course in my heart of hearts I want every one who listens to one of my tracks to drop their coffee in their lap with a HOLY CRAP. I'd be lying if I said otherwise.... so while I absolutely do this for my own edification, I have this NEED to finish things. I hate unfinished projects/songs/ideas/etc. I like having things to show for all my mouthing off...

Just feeling beat up. Like everything I'm doing sucks, and like I just can't crack that glass ceiling of professionalism in my output that I so strive for. And the worst part is it's all just in my own damn head.

Appreciate the support, Bram - for sure. I'd love to hear some of the music in your head - I'm always fascinated by what others are creating to make themselves smile.

This sounds like more than a music question my friend.

From my experience, if you have arrived at place to recognize and question the status quo of your current repertoire - then you are on the right path.

Being open to suggestions.....on the right path.

I think you have rounded the corner on this issue and may be surprised what the open fresh air on this old wound can do to heal it.

• Seems like you were looking for an honest opinion and you got it. It is hard to accept a honest opinion but imo it is worth more than anything. Not say that positive opinions cannot be honest it's just they're generally not as catalytic.

• @supadom said:
    Seems like you were looking for an honest opinion and you got it. It is hard to accept a honest opinion but imo it is worth more than anything. Not say that positive opinions cannot be honest it's just they're generally not as catalytic.

Humility is a mother fucker.

;)

• @RUST( i )K said:

@supadom said:
    Seems like you were looking for an honest opinion and you got it. It is hard to accept a honest opinion but imo it is worth more than anything. Not say that positive opinions cannot be honest it's just they're generally not as catalytic.

;)

That be true !

• @Zen210507 said:

I maintain that there are very many absolutely brilliant musicians/ music makers out there (and in here) but only three, maybe four who were/ are actual genius level.

People making music and have been lucky enough to have the ability to learn about it, who have reached a level of exposure where they are reaching your ears and have access to technology that enables them to create in a way that puts them in your realm of listening? 3 or 4 sounds right. Musical geniuses at any given time in the world? Has to be in the hundreds of thousands.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@supadom said:

;)

Couldn't have put it more aptly.

• edited June 2018

@supadom said:

It's not that I'm not open to honesty from a friend - more that THAT DAY wasn't the day I needed that, and I thought my friend was feeling where my head was at. He actually called me last night to see if I was ok - he realized after the fact that while he was trying to be honest, that particular day may not have been the best time for a critical analysis. He and I will be fine - got a gig tonight and one Saturday, and he teaches my oldest drums, I see him all the time. Just bad timing on both our parts.

Our energies were ships passing in the night - it was less the actual criticism and more the snowball of mind chatter that was the result.

@RUST( i )K You are correct - this isn't just about music, however music was certainly the catalyst this day. I am certainly examining what I've done and trying to hoe new rows, trying to push myself out there in new ways. Trying to create a new life for the second half of my time on this planet. It's all wrapped up in a giant ball of angst that lives in the back of my head and occasionally yells at me. Sometimes we have lunch, sometimes we argue, sometimes we hug it out... but he still lives there. You get me?

I appreciate you all letting me vent, though. I'm not typically the "shout my internal struggles from the mountaintop" person which is why I rarely post anything personal on FB. But this has helped enormously.

• Ah, the critc.