Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Learning modular synthesis on iOS

2»

Comments

• @AnimalHeadSpirit Thanks for the warm welcome.... Thor and SM1 were preceded by Gadget I must confess, which I don't use since the marvel, to me, of Cubasis.
    Looking forward to Synth One however.

Your opinion of Kauldron to complete the Thor SM1 trifecta?

• edited June 2018

You're welcome. :)

I have Kauldron, but don't really have that informed of an opinion on it yet as I haven't really used it that all that much, nor have I created any patches with it yet.

I did just now do a quick sound test between Kauldron, Zeeon and Sunriser. Kauldron sounds to me to be something of a mix between the two, in a way. Since it's AU , it's definitely a nice synth to have in your arsenal. I obviously prefer when synths support AU but am not that big of a stickler for it, so I'll use Sunriser IAA over Kauldron if I'm not doing something that requires AU. Zeeon is next in line and usually one of the first synths I reach for -- it's one of my favorite AU instruments.

p.s. I have dozens of synths on desktop, covering every style imaginable, yet I'm still seriously considering buying Sunriser in VST form. It's that good.

• @AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    p.s. I have dozens of synths on desktop, covering every style imaginable, yet I'm still seriously considering buying Sunriser in VST form. It's that good.

I fully agree. Last week I dug out an old iPad with a >5 yr old version of Sunrizer on it, and I must say it still sounds fantastic. Because there are many good presets available, I'm using Sunrizer more with (tweaked) presets and Zeeon for designing my own sounds from scratch.

• Hang on a minute. Can I run VCV into Sunvox on the PC??? That possibility just occurred to me.

• @gusgranite said:
    Hang on a minute. Can I run VCV into Sunvox on the PC??? That possibility just occurred to me.

As far as I know... you could :wink:

• @gusgranite said:
    Hang on a minute. Can I run VCV into Sunvox on the PC??? That possibility just occurred to me.

To elaborate further... In Sunvox, add an input module...
    One way to do it is make sunvox listen to the stereo mix

Or ASIO if you know how to deal with it (i don't lol)

will try to use VCV bridge with it, like you would with Reaper

• I think the issue with AnalogKit for a lot of people is that it's been abandoned

• @brambos In context of this discussion... I would, in a New York second, buy "RippleMaker Quatro". Four cross-patchable versions of Ripplemaker in one app. And would be quite happy to pay 4x the normal price of RippleMaker, personally.

I guess a few extra mults and mixers would be really handy but even without that, it would be a dream. Not even sure it would need the sequencers; some dude from the Netherlands has already made a bunch of really useful AU MIDI sequencers.

Super bonus if it worked like the Elektron Analog 4 where you could configure it as 4 mono versions or one 4-voice poly version (or sub combos).

• @cian said:
    I think the issue with AnalogKit for a lot of people is that it's been abandoned

So true!
    It still sits on my wishlist, but i'm not getting it until I see it's not abandonware. :dizzy:

• edited June 2018

I think the issue with AnalogKit for a lot of people is that it's been abandoned

I personally have no problem buying abandonware if it's reasonably priced and good enough in the form they left it in , with the requirement that at minimum it must be 64-bit and relatively bug free/not crash prone. I also like to think that perhaps continued sales might someday inspire the developers to revive their project.

Samplr, Analogkit and several others come to mind as being worth it.

• @syrupcore said:
    @brambos In context of this discussion... I would, in a New York second, buy "RippleMaker Quatro". Four cross-patchable versions of Ripplemaker in one app. And would be quite happy to pay 4x the normal price of RippleMaker, personally.

I second that .. If it had a strip of aux outs and ins at the bottom for passing signals back and forth similar to Softube Modular FX VST, that would make the app orders of magnitude more powerful.
    I'd definitely pay well for that upgrade. I buy Bram Bos AUs the moment they go live, without even thinking about it. Would be the same for any IAP or reissue he might do.

I personally have no problem buying abandonware if it's reasonably priced and good enough in the form they left it in

This is really important. I still have some apps that I cannot lose from my device because they are no more in the app store :disappointed:

I personally have no problem buying abandonware if it's reasonably priced and good enough in the form they left it in , with the requirement that at minimum it must be 64-bit and relatively bug free/not crash prone. I also like to think that perhaps continued sales might someday inspire the developers to revive their project.

Yes, they definitely stopped development on it, which, as a mega fan, was upsetting- I had all kinds of ideas on things they could add, but had to realize that despite the developers putting their heart and soul into the project, at a certain point they had to accept that their app, while having an intensely dedicated and overjoyed small group of users, didn't reach a wide enough audience to support ongoing development. They might have had to get jobs.

That being said, like Samplr, they left it in a very good place, it is stable, slick, works on current ios, and has an excellent library of modules, where you could build most anything audio related. They pay the bills and maintain the "swap meet" online. My feeling is that they would make maintenance updates it if there were problems with newer versions of ios.

• @senhorlampada said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:
    I personally have no problem buying abandonware if it's reasonably priced and good enough in the form they left it in

This is really important. I still have some apps that I cannot lose from my device because they are no more in the app store :disappointed:

Do they not show up on your purchased list? I've only had that problem once, with an old game disappearing from my list - (flightcontrol HD) -- I emailed Apple Support and they waved their magic wand and made it reappear for me the following day, while also suggesting I use iTunes to backup all my apps.

Now that they've removed the ability to back up apps, I hate having to rely on my frozen-in-time iPad Air 2 w/ iOS 10 to secure my cherished 32 bit apps/games. I haven't checked my purchase list lately to see if all those old gems are still retrievable. If not and the iPad fails, I guess we're SOL. :(

• edited June 2018

@Processaurus said:

@AnimalHeadSpirit said:

Yes, they definitely stopped development on it, which, as a mega fan, was upsetting- I had all kinds of ideas on things they could add, but had to realize that despite the developers putting their heart and soul into the project, at a certain point they had to accept that their app, while having an intensely dedicated and overjoyed small group of users, didn't reach a wide enough audience to support ongoing development. They might have had to get jobs.

That being said, like Samplr, they left it in a very good place, it is stable, slick, works on current ios, and has an excellent library of modules, where you could build most anything audio related. They pay the bills and maintain the "swap meet" online. My feeling is that they would make maintenance updates it if there were problems with newer versions of ios.

That's great to hear re: AnalogKit stability. I had yet to use it enough to know for sure.
    Maybe they could do a small "kickstarter" type donation drive, where if it gets to a certain level they'll agree to update the apps to modern spec / AU, or if too busy, perhaps pass it off to another capable dev to carry the torch.

I'd certainly donate to the cause for Samplr .. Same with Analogkit, perhaps a patreon might help them cover the server fee, if enough people are still taking advantage of it. I hope they consider that route if they're ever on the verge of shutting it down.

ps.. I would rather stay on older version of iOS than to have some of these apps become unusable. I'm even wary of doing incremental iOS 11 updates on my latest iPad Pro, for fear of something upsetting the apple cart. "if it's not broke" ya know .. ;)

• @syrupcore said:
    @brambos In context of this discussion... I would, in a New York second, buy "RippleMaker Quatro". Four cross-patchable versions of Ripplemaker in one app. And would be quite happy to pay 4x the normal price of RippleMaker, personally.

I guess a few extra mults and mixers would be really handy but even without that, it would be a dream. Not even sure it would need the sequencers; some dude from the Netherlands has already made a bunch of really useful AU MIDI sequencers.

Super bonus if it worked like the Elektron Analog 4 where you could configure it as 4 mono versions or one 4-voice poly version (or sub combos).

I'd buy that. I've also suggested simply breaking up the modules within Ripplemaker into individual AUs and selling them as a suite of modules.

• iVCS just came to mind- an AU modular that works a bit like what’s been suggested for Ripplemaker.

• imho the EMS Synthi Matrix is often 'the better' approach to modular patching...
    and I bet it's been the blueprint for ApeMatrix anyway ;)

• edited June 2018

@Telefunky said:
    imho the EMS Synthi Matrix is often 'the better' approach to modular patching...

The downside of it is that a] it is physically located far enough away from the actual modules to be conceptually dissociated with them, hence presents a greater cognitive load mentally trying to ‘match up’ the modules to the pin matrix, and 2) the layout of the pin matrix doesn’t resemble the layout of the modules, presenting a greater cognitive, etc.

• edited June 2018

I agree to this as a '1st glance impression', but using a virtual spaghetti monster myself it turned out to be way harder to decipher it's cable routing later. But both need their time...

ps.. I would rather stay on older version of iOS than to have some of these apps become unusable. I'm even wary of doing incremental iOS 11 updates on my latest iPad Pro, for fear of something upsetting the apple cart. "if it's not broke" ya know .. ;)

Absolutely. You have the device for experiencing the music apps, not experiencing the OS. You have nothing to gain, and everything to lose, when messing with a system that is stable and does everything you need it to.

• @Telefunky said:
    imho the EMS Synthi Matrix is often 'the better' approach to modular patching...

I am 100% certain that it was.

I am also a fan of the EMS Synthi approach.

• @u0421793 said:

@Telefunky said:

The downside of it is that a] it is physically located far enough away from the actual modules to be conceptually dissociated with them, hence presents a greater cognitive load mentally trying to ‘match up’ the modules to the pin matrix, and 2) the layout of the pin matrix doesn’t resemble the layout of the modules, presenting a greater cognitive, etc.

I thought the same thing until I learnt it.