Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

On D’fence: AUM vs ApeMatrix

Comments

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2018

@Daveypoo said:

I had considered using Matrix 1 for sound generators, Matrix 2 for sequencers and Matrix 3 for effects, but I realized you can't do that as there isn't a full matrix to patch between the all three Matrices.

sure you can do that as mentioned earlier, you can use the a + b midi bus to send the sequencers to the others Matrices, it's a bit more limited for audio bussing but you'll have 32 midi channels which should be plenty.

I've been doing that, putting most of my sequencers together on one Matrix and sending to the others :)

• @Carnbot said:

@Daveypoo said:

I had considered using Matrix 1 for sound generators, Matrix 2 for sequencers and Matrix 3 for effects, but I realized you can't do that as there isn't a full matrix to patch between the all three Matrices.

sure you can do that as mentioned earlier, you can use the a + b midi bus to send the sequencers to the others Matrices, it's a bit more limited for audio bussing but you'll have 32 midi channels which should be plenty.

I've been doing that, putting most of my sequencers together on one Matrix and sending to the others :)

Just started doing that too. Still need that quicker access button to the midi matrix though, as double clicking the background to get rid of the AU windows and then pressing the button is too slow. I like to get to it quick as finding switching midi in and out live is becoming the norm for me :p

• edited June 2018

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Carnbot said:

@Daveypoo said:

Just started doing that too. Still need that quicker access button to the midi matrix though, as double clicking the background to get rid of the AU windows and then pressing the button is too slow. I like to get to it quick as finding switching midi in and out live is becoming the norm for me :p

Yeah it would be nice if you could midi learn/assign a controller for the different mixer/patchbay ui pop ups too.

or hmm, might be an idea to request AB remote controls for all these actions. Not sure how much work that is. :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mAxjUlien said:
    Just saw the pending ApeM update doesn’t include more outputs. I wonder where that’s prioritized...anyone have insight or communication with the dev?

I believe it is definitely on his short list. I think right now he is just working on bug and stability to keep it solid before adding major functions. I do know that we are getting new beta’s to test very regularly. So he is working very hard.

• edited June 2018
  • @mAxjUlien said:

@JudgeDredd said:

@mAxjUlien said:
    Just saw the pending ApeM update doesn’t include more outputs. I wonder where that’s prioritized...anyone have insight or communication with the dev?

I believe it is definitely on his short list. I think right now he is just working on bug and stability to keep it solid before adding major functions. I do know that we are getting new beta’s to test very regularly. So he is working very hard.

Thanks @JudgeDredd I haven’t read your assessment. Sorry if I missed it posted elsewhere or earlier in the thread. What gets you grooving quicker? Any walls you run into workflow wise?

I must admit that apeMatrix is very inspirational, I have to say more so than AUM. I think they are both wonderful apps. But when it comes down to developing new sounds and rhythms, apeM has to be it. With AUM I find myself thinking more about how I have to set everything up to get where I want to go so the puzzle comes together and makes a nice picture. With apeM, I just throw all the pieces on the table that I want to use, then jam them together until I find a picture I like.

As others have said, they both have their individual strengths and right now, I believe both are very handy to get what’s in your head into your ears.

As far a walls, the latest beta seems to have fixed the IAA Generator/Audio Mute problem so Fugue Machine is now working, plus a few other little issues. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a keyboard for each matrix? Hmmm....

• @Carnbot said:

@Daveypoo said:

I know about the aux sends, but there's only 2. You could route all 11 items in matrix 1 to aux A, but then all 11 would be routed any time you patched in aux A somewhere. Just got me thinking that a full 11x11 aux matrix would be both completely stupid and completely awesome.

• edited June 2018

@Daveypoo said:

@Carnbot said:

@Daveypoo said:

I know about the aux sends, but there's only 2. You could route all 11 items in matrix 1 to aux A, but then all 11 would be routed any time you patched in aux A somewhere. Just got me thinking that a full 11x11 aux matrix would be both completely stupid and completely awesome.

It would :) but at least the 2 midibuses are enough to patch the midi around.

• No brainer to me.
    If two apps are so close in similarity I can’t choose, the sale price wins.
    apeMatrix is the new kid in school everyone has to get to know, while AUM and Audiobus
    have been around and are more recognized. You’ll eventually have both, so you may as well start with the less expensive while you can.
    apeMatrix seems more powerful, it’s power just has to be understood and tapped.

Today, ... apeMatrix.

• Yes apeMatrix is stunningly good, it has the best dawless workflow for Audio units on the ipad :)

• @Carnbot said:

@Daveypoo said:

@Carnbot said:

@Daveypoo said:

It would :) but at least the 2 midibuses are enough to patch the midi around.

Oh for sure - definitely not complaining here, just my brain running away with me since I'm so happy with how this app works.

• This is the best of the two...(in my opinion)

• I think the coming AU Midi row in AUM will make quite a difference. Now he’s on about a midi recorder too! Looking forward to some AUMifications B)

• I'll be using AUM to interface with apeMatrix until I get TC-11(??) worked out.
    apeMatrix will be tucked away to do it's thing somewhere I don't have to see it's hideous color schemes. Sorry, they're too ugly to be kinder about it. I'm finally getting used enough to assuming AUM will be in the workflow, it would be hard to imagine totally replacing it. More of using better of both. For all the hideous colors in apeSoft, it does give me more of a birdseye feeling when I work with it than AUM. AUM is easier on the eyes, though.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    I think the coming AU Midi row in AUM will make quite a difference. Now he’s on about a midi recorder too! Looking forward to some AUMifications B)

Is this real? ETA?

• @rackersr said:
    I'll be using AUM to interface with apeMatrix until I get TC-11(??) worked out.
    apeMatrix will be tucked away to do it's thing somewhere I don't have to see it's hideous color schemes. Sorry, they're too ugly to be kinder about it. I'm finally getting used enough to assuming AUM will be in the workflow, it would be hard to imagine totally replacing it. More of using better of both. For all the hideous colors in apeSoft, it does give me more of a birdseye feeling when I work with it than AUM. AUM is easier on the eyes, though.

Well , the GUI is just a matter of taste . I don’t find bad but still it’s not so eye candy as AUM , indeed .
    If you want to use TC 11 it’s simple ,first launch TC-11,then load it to apeMatrix. (This applies to different hosts for buggy IAA nodes )

• edited June 2018

Still have a big preference for AUM I must say, routing seems much more natural to my mind, with Apematrix I have to think... matrix!! Connexions are easier to make in AUM for me, using busses and usually lot of effects, I even feel limited by thoses matrixs when I can use up to 15/20 effects on a project.

• edited June 2018
  • edited June 2018
  • edited June 2018
  • edited June 2018
  • edited June 2018
  • Looks like I've got my work cut out for me....

• @rackersr said:
    I'll be using AUM to interface with apeMatrix until I get TC-11(??) worked out.
    apeMatrix will be tucked away to do it's thing somewhere I don't have to see it's hideous color schemes. ...

It's of course up to you how to use an app, but once you figure out TC-11's scheme of operation, there's few (if any at all) need for ApeMatrix or other external controller.
    TC-11 and it's midi only spring-off TC-Data have their very own unique approach to control.
    Surely takes some time, but it's well documented and exceeds the usual way synths are controlled.
    Worth the effort for it can turn even a familiar synth into something entirely new.

But: it works best with synths that already have their midi-CCs assigned.
    Midi-learn is practically impossible because you'd have to disable previously assigned CCs from an action to teach a new one. (not unusual that a certain gesture may have 3-5 CCs)

• apeMatrix saved the day for me, yesterday, when a combination inexplicably would not record in AUM.

But that won’t stop me using AUM just as much as ever. It’s a brilliant app, and likely to remain so. ApeMatrix, is well on the way to brilliance. ApeMatrix I regard as being to AUM what Cubasis is to Auria Pro.

Having all of these apps in our toolboxes is great. :)

• edited June 2018

apeMatrix keeps stoking the fires of imagination for me.

I know that the dev didn’t originally really intend on apeMatrix being a replacement for AUM, AB3, BM3, etc.

It just worked out that as a host alone, it can certainly hold its own.

What apeMatrix was originally intended to be, was more of a new paradigm for rough experimenting with all sorts of different routings that were easy and quick to try out different things. Then, take it to the host/daw of your choice.

Sure, it can function perfectly well as a host alone. That’s how I’m using it currently. However, if you instead... view/evaluate apeMatrix through the prism of “experimental lab”, it’s a whole other conversation.