Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

On D’fence: AUM vs ApeMatrix

Comments

• also, don‘t forget there is AudioBus 3 :wink:
    I have not used it much before the release of 3.1 (Beta), but it is becoming a serious tool in my workflow again
    midiflow tools in combination with Rozeta and AB3 midi allow for lots of flexibility, plus state saving of IAA obviously ...

• edited June 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mAxjUlien said:
    Interesting. Thanks for that specific example @cuscolima. It appears that adding effects to individual tracks was as simple as just adding a node where instrument track and said effect intersect. What makes it complex? That detail is very important as the only real major advantage to ApeM was the simplicity of routing and seeing all the connections. If in fact that isn’t as simple as it looks to me then AUM is def it for me. Leaning that way based on the outputs

It is hard to explain with words. But in apeMatrix you are “framed” by the matrix. In AUM you can add tracks, move them, reorganize everything. In apeMatrix, you have the 10 slots (x3) and you have to insert everything in this...matrix...

• @mAxjUlien said:
    Wow. Thanks @nick. I haven’t used AB3 in ages because of the midi shortcomings. Didn’t realize it’s been updated to host AU. Off to redownload and explore AB3 again to determine if I need either of these apps right now after all. May free up more for new sounds. Wooohooo!

especially the 3.1 that is about to hit the app store very soon is an impressive update that brings AB3 into the present with auv3 midi and full screen audio units among other things

• edited June 2018

@mAxjUlien I'm glad you're enjoying the videos.

Here's a slightly more robust answer than my previous one:

AUM is essential. That word gets tossed around too much here, but I truly feel like AUM is an integral part of any music I make now. It is super stable, straight-forward, and everything is made to work with it. There's no way AUM will serve you wrong at all, and it's the completely safe and smart choice to make.

That being said....

apeMatrix is wicked, dangerous, and not yet completely baked. What I mean is - it's early. AUM has had time to dial itself in, establish a reputation, fix bugs, potentially add requested features, etc. apeMatrix has not had this time yet, so let's keep that in mind with our comparison. Also remember that while AUM & aM both tread similar ground, they are definitely different beasts.

As I've said before, they're like twins. Fraternal twins. They're both super cute and both have winning personalities. AUM is the girl next door. apeMatrix is the one with the crazy-eyes. Both are worth your investment, but one may bite back more than the other.

I do hope that this helps. And makes some of you giggle....

• If you asked this question one week ago — Is AUM necessary? — not a single person on this forum would have disagreed. There would be little debate. You need AUM as you need AudioShare. I think it's still true.

I am mightily impressed with the passion that Ape fans have, and it is leading me to buy this out of curiosity, despite the fact that you can't export stems, there are only two sends, and the GUI is absolutely hideous and baffling (my opinion).

But this has obviously excited people, and it's only $10, so I will buy it. Why? "Because," in the words of Mario Balotelli, "I am rich."

• @Daveypoo said:

AUM is essential. That word gets tossed around too much here, but I truly feel like AUM is an integral part of any music I make now. It is super stable, straight-forward, and everything is made to work with it. There's no way AUM will serve you wrong at all, and it's the completely safe and smart choice to make.

That being said....

apeMatrix is wicked, dangerous, and not yet completely baked. What I mean is - it's early. AUM has had time to dial itself in, establish a reputation, fix bugs, potentially add requested features, etc. apeMatrix has not had this time yet, so let's keep that in mind with our comparison. Also remember that while AUM & aM both tread similar ground, they are definitely different beasts.

As I've said before, they're like twins. Fraternal twins. They're both super cute and both have winning personalities. AUM is the girl next door. apeMatrix is the one with the crazy-eyes. Both are worth your investment, but one may bite back more than the other.

Why do I always lean towards the one with ‘the crazy eyes’ :s

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Daveypoo said:

That being said....

• @AndyPlankton said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Daveypoo said:

That being said....

I looked up more crazy eye pics and some made me wanna vom ewww

• AUM:

apeMatrix:

• @Daveypoo said:
    AUM:

apeMatrix:

This is the End....

• Indians scattered on dawn's highway bleeding
    Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind

• apeMAtrix is a new app ,so the poll would be 'fair' some months later.
    (Some users maybe stop using it after few days, or others may buy it and not use other app ever :tongue: )

Fortunately ,although the concept is the same with AB3 and AUM) ,the workflow is very different :)

voted for apeMatrix, among others it has a dead simple record-output <3

• posting selfies while on acid may not be the best idea ... :*

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@mAxjUlien said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@mAxjUlien said:
    Just so that I’m clear...with ApeM...I would have to mute tracks to isolate and track out each sound to another daw whereas in AUM I could just record them into BM3, Auria, Cubasis, etc or export all stems at once?

Yes, at this time (the dev might add additional outputs), you have the main out and two bus outs on ApeMatrix. AUM I believe has 8 ports out.

I think this is what it may come down to right here for me @Fruitbat1919.

A sensible option to choose on, if you need them extra ports :)

I wished that someone would make little AU audio and midi recorders though - that would be cool for both apps! Plus simple AU loopers!

Yes, please AU midi recorders please then i dont need a DAW.

• edited June 2018

Invalid question.

Does not compute

• Sorry if my initial post just seemed flippant. Apematrix is (for me) a bit easier to set up and keep track of connections - the layout makes it just a bit faster. But AUM is pretty easy too and has better recording options (separate stems). I suspect that ApeMatrix will get separate stem recording per channel at some point, but it isn't there yet.

I guess you don't need both, but you will eventually have both.

• Another vote for neither - only semi kidding - if I had to have one it would be AUM

But actually I have both, got caught up in the Ape hype.

• tjatja
    edited June 2018

I like apeSoft Apps...

But apeMatrix without IAA???

No Animoog, no Nave, no Thor, no MitoSynth, no GrainScience, no Zmors modular?
    No Sunrizer, no DRC, no iProphet, no Magellan, no iSyn Poly, no iMini, no miniSynth 2?
    No DXi, no TF7 Synth, no FM4, no TF8, no Stria, no FM4 Essential?
    No Gadget, no iM1, no iMono/Poly, no Audulus, no SunVox, no Synth?
    No EGSY01, no Addictive Synth, no Analog Synth X, no microTera?
    No iPulsaret, no SynthScaper, no Scythe, no iTuttle?
    To name some...

You are sure making fun with me.

If that's true, apeMatrix just get's off my wishlist :D

• @tja said:
    I like apeSoft Apps...

No Sunrizer, no DRC, no iProphet, no Magellan, no iSyn Poly, no iMini, no miniSynth 2?
    No Gadget, no iM1, no iMono/Poly, no Audulus, but SunVox, no Synth?
    To name some...

Deleted all them lol >:)

• It's got IAA support :)

If you use the AU midi plugins eg SPA and Rozeta, currently apeMatrix has the best workflow.

But truth is AM and AUM and AB3 also work really well together.

AUM will evolve too. I think Jonatan mentioned he is planning on revamping the midi patchbay to full screen and also the midi plugins won't appear on mixer channels so will be easier to use. When you go back to AUM from using apeMatrix the midi plugin organisation is the thing most in need of updating next.

But AUM has better output/ audio interface support.

• @tja said:
    I like apeSoft Apps...

No Gadget, no iM1, no iMono/Poly, no Audulus, no SunVox, no Synth?
    To name some...

Not sure what you mean - apeMatrix absolutely has IAA support.....

• A poll without a choice for BOTH? That's just crazy, man!! I know there's the economics issue. All I know is that if you told me you only had $20 to spend, I couldn't give you any sound (see what I did there?) advice. What did I do BEFORE apeMatrix? I used what I had. After I bought apeMatrix I still use what I have. When it comes to creating music I'd rather be faced with mental block than limited resources.

• It sure is easier to try out different FX routings (serial, parallel etc.) in apeMatrix when compared to AUM.
    In AUM going from for example 'serial <-> parallel' one has to save the tweaks as presets since the AUv3 has to be 'unloaded' before it's possible to move it to another track/bus.

What I fear a bit for experimenting is that I'll run out of slots on one grid especially since midi plug-ins have to be on the same grid as effects and audio-generators?! Or maybe that's just for the Rozeta suite for now?

As far as I've understood the 3 grids are 'independent' with no direct connection to objects on the 'other' grids.

• @Samu said:
    It sure is easier to try out different FX routings (serial, parallel etc.) in apeMatrix when compared to AUM.
    In AUM going from for example 'serial <-> parallel' one has to save the tweaks as presets since the AUv3 has to be 'unloaded' before it's possible to move it to another track/bus.

What I fear a bit for experimenting is that I'll run out of slots on one grid especially since midi plug-ins have to be on the same grid as effects and audio-generators?! Or maybe that's just for the Rozeta suite for now?

As far as I've understood the 3 grids are 'independent' with no direct connection to objects on the 'other' grids.

You can bus midi and audio between the grids with the A/B buses.
    Hopefully we’ll get more audio buses at some point in the future.

• @Samu said:
    It sure is easier to try out different FX routings (serial, parallel etc.) in apeMatrix when compared to AUM.

I was pondering this last night, actually. I had considered using Matrix 1 for sound generators, Matrix 2 for sequencers and Matrix 3 for effects, but I realized you can't do that as there isn't a full matrix to patch between the all three Matrices.

But wouldn't THAT be something - Matrix 4 routes signals from Matrix to Matrix..........

• @oat_phipps said:
    I think the multi-out recording makes me still side with AUM for now. I like the cut of apeMatrix's jib though and enjoy having both. But since both isn't an option for OP, AUM.

These are my thoughts exactly ^^

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@mAxjUlien said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@mAxjUlien said:
    Just so that I’m clear...with ApeM...I would have to mute tracks to isolate and track out each sound to another daw whereas in AUM I could just record them into BM3, Auria, Cubasis, etc or export all stems at once?

Yes, at this time (the dev might add additional outputs), you have the main out and two bus outs on ApeMatrix. AUM I believe has 8 ports out.

I think this is what it may come down to right here for me @Fruitbat1919.

A sensible option to choose on, if you need them extra ports :)

I wished that someone would make little AU audio and midi recorders though - that would be cool for both apps! Plus simple AU loopers!

This is something I've requested from developers as well! The ideal solution would be an AU multitrack recorder with waveform visual and automation of at least the basics: volume and panning. But barring that, a single channel AU with stereo waveform visual and automation of volume and panning that can be loaded multiple times would work as well. :smile:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.